How likely is it that the iPhone 6S will come with 2GB RAM?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
What irks me is the limitations 1gb RAM places on multitasking, specifically the ability to keep running apps in their current state while performing other tasks. That's honestly my main beef with this gen of iPhone due to how heavily I rely on apps being able to stay in memory in a running state while I switch back and forth between them. And that's also why I'll be supremely disappointed if the next iPhone doesn't have 2+ GB RAM, because right now an iPhone 6S/7 is in my top 2 for my next upgrade, if it isn't 1gb.

Purely out of curiosity, which apps do you heavily rely on being able to maintain a stagnant state of memory? I've seen this in several discussions regarding RAM, and I'm curious which apps you're referring to.

Dec 25, 2014
Visit site
Oh okay. Apology accepted, and thank you. I understand what you're saying, but I don't think iPhone users wouldn't welcome improvements to their choice device. Having said that, some of the 'it's not needed' statements are true. Certain advancements, although welcomed, are not necessarily needed. This is where we differ. Apple, like any other company, can't sell a thing without first appealing to consumers, specifically, it core base. If that core base was displeased with Apple's products and services, they would not buy them. The core base wants a phone that is simple to use, well supported and does what they want it to do and that is exactly what Apple provides. The technically advanced users always want more. Yet, when the core base demanded the bigger screens, they got it. Still, a good deal of them still prefer the 3.5 to 4-inch display sizes. There's nothing wrong with asking that question just like there is nothing wrong with people stating that 2 GB is unnecessary at this time, especially when bench test after bench test shows the iPhone's performance to be as competitive as it's spec'd out rivals.

I've actually seen a few people around different forums arguing that the iPhone shouldn't have an extra gig of RAM. It mostly comes down to "cost" or "just use your phone the right way" (serious, that was an argument), and the ever famous "the iPhone doesn't need an extra gig of RAM".

Ariel Babalao

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Purely out of curiosity, which apps do you heavily rely on being able to maintain a stagnant state of memory? I've seen this in several discussions regarding RAM, and I'm curious which apps you're referring to.

Safari for instance will reload pages again and again and again. Say you are on your data plan, and you open 10 tabs each consuming 10mb to load the page, that is 100mb.
Now you are viewing tab 10, by the time you come back to tab one, tab one will need to reload the page again requiring 10mb of your data plan again, then you go to tab 5 and it will reload the page again.
Except for consuming your data, it makes it almost impossible to work online with Safari on iPad or iPhone, work that require you to input info into a page, navigate to other tab and come back to the previous tab and you have to start over again.
This behavior is because the ram is not sufficient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I've actually seen a few people around different forums arguing that the iPhone shouldn't have an extra gig of RAM. It mostly comes down to "cost" or "just use your phone the right way" (serious, that was an argument), and the ever famous "the iPhone doesn't need an extra gig of RAM".

That's okay. Everyone has a right to their own opinions. If the next iPhone comes with 2 GBs of RAM, so be it. Many of the people with current iPhones will upgrade to it. If the next iPhone maintains 1 GB of RAM, so be it. Many people with a current iPhone will upgrade to it.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

That is very much the exception to the norm. Most users welcome higher horse power under the hood of these devices, and they know that they'll eventually get it on all of the devices without big cost bumps each and every year (Apple just happened to focus on running bigger and better processor combos with their hardware and made use of the lower RAM by going the efficiency route).

The difference...most users ALSO don't notice to the little things caused by the smaller horsepower, so telling them that it has 2GB of RAM is like telling them that it has a larger frequency band on the antenna set up. It's kind of just lost in the performance...and if the phone is performing well, most consumers just go about their business.

Was this the optimal choice to appease all consumers? Absolutely not. But trying to make it seem like Apple was making a mistake is just asinine. The iPhones, to this point, satisfied the vast majority of consumers with 1GB of RAM...why would they increase the production cost of the iPhone by adding more RAM when a very high majority of the users were satisfied with what they were offering?

You guys have to understand that we are a small niche of people here on this website talking heavily about specs and functionality on these smart phones. Most people don't give a sh*t. Do I want the most out of my smart phone? Absolutely...and I think it's funny that Syspry said he was seeing apologists here on this forum for the lower specs...that is such a crock of crap. You didn't see apologists, you saw people telling you that the iPhone made efficient use of 1GB of RAM up to this point, and overly satisfied the consumer base that the phone was marketed to...therefore more RAM wasn't a necessity to continue finding major success wit the device.

That obviously won't be the case forever...maybe not even in a month (or so) when the new devices are announced...but up until now, 1GB of RAM served Apple well in the iPhone. Was it perfect? Certainly not...no smart phone is. But calling people explaining this "apologists" is ridiculous. It's just basic logic here boys and girls...I'm not DEFENDING the use of 1GB of RAM, I'm just telling you that there was a justified reasoning for it and that the specs worked more than fine for probably 90%+ of the consumer base.

So let's get over this idea that what we, as forum posters and tech junkies, represent some major push in the market of these devices. There may be some smart phones that are geared towards such users, but the iPhone isn't one of them...nor are any of the other major players in that segment. They are modified, developed and constructed based on the demands of the majority...and when the majority makes waves for some feature, it shows up. That is unquestionably how it works.

Do I want 2GB of RAM? Hell! I want 4GB of RAM, and a slew of other things that most consumers don't give a crap about...but I'm not going to sit here and hold an opinion of Apple or any other tech company out there just because they don't meet my specific demands every single time they release something...I'll just enjoy what I do find attractive, and hope that eventually, I'll get what I want in a single go.

Artie42

Jul 25, 2015
Visit site
Android cell phones may be use 4 GB widely in 2016, the cost will be decreased, of course 2 GB RAM will benefit iPhone's performance. Why not take 2 GB RAM?

chrisforpm

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I can't name a single person that I know who cares about how many gigs of ram the phone has. Out of the 30 or so I know with an iPhone, I'm the only one who probably cares about specs. That is 1 out 30, or 3% and I'm sure in the real world it's an even lower percentage. The average consumer wants a phone that functions properly, is easy to use and worries about what colour to get. As long as it "works" that's all they care about.

Would I like to see 2 GB of ram? Absolutely, especially if running two apps at once becomes a reality on the iPhone. Most of the people I know upgrading could care less about what is under the hood. Their contracts are up and stay with the iPhone because of the ecosystem and it's what they are used to.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I can't name a single person that I know who cares about how many gigs of ram the phone has. Out of the 30 or so I know with an iPhone, I'm the only one who probably cares about specs. That is 1 out 30, or 3% and I'm sure in the real world it's an even lower percentage. The average consumer wants a phone that functions properly, is easy to use and worries about what colour to get. As long as it "works" that's all they care about.

Would I like to see 2 GB of ram? Absolutely, especially if running two apps at once becomes a reality on the iPhone. Most of the people I know upgrading could care less about what is under the hood. Their contracts are up and stay with the iPhone because of the ecosystem and it's what they are used to.

I'd have to absolutely agree with this. Matter of fact, that's half the reason I gaze around these threads...to engage with like minded enthusiasts. But my buddies? They don't care about ram or megapixels or processors. That's Chinese to them. I don't even try to talk phones with the wife. As long as she can text, Facebook and likes the look of her case she's reached her limits.

chrisforpm

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I'd have to absolutely agree with this. Matter of fact, that's half the reason I gaze around these threads...to engage with like minded enthusiasts. But my buddies? They don't care about ram or megapixels or processors. That's Chinese to them. I don't even try to talk phones with the wife. As long as she can text, Facebook and likes the look of her case she's reached her limits.

I asked a few friends what feature they were most looking forward to in the new iPhone. Most didn't even know one was coming out, although one of my buddy's gf's said gold, as in the colour. I sometimes forgot that most people just don't care about technology. They just want it to work.

Jessica75

Jul 25, 2015
Visit site
Very very possible, I can't imagine that all the competitors have at least 2 GB RAM or 4GB the next year and Apple still use 1 GB for saving its money.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2