How likely is it that the iPhone 6S will come with 2GB RAM?

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Agree, but if I'm doing some sort of multi tasking switching back and forth it's irritating and a waste of time. Just would be nice without all the reloading of apps

Sent from my iPhone using tapatalk

Lets hope this year, things will change.

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
For those who are saying that the iPhone does not need additional RAM, is that not the reason iPhones such as mine restart on their own when under heavy use? If it is, then I must say that the next iteration certainly does need additional RAM. Hopefully they add it by the time I am to upgrade to the 7.

boltz82

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
RAM allows more apps to stay in memory and improves multitasking. You can have multiple tabs open in the browser, no refresh too. It overall helps improve using the phone. Even iOS will eventually run into a wall where it has a desktop class processor with a 1GB of RAM.

It isn't for bragging rights, it actually makes a marked performance difference. I mean look at actual laptops, using a Laptop with 2GB of RAM compared to 4GB is a big difference. It is about the same going from 1GB to 2GB.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

I can appreciate this. I come to this site periodically and read some of the posts and one thing that I always take away when I do is how defensive and obnoxious some iFans are. The reality is the more RAM the more functionality the phone will have. Many people can be happy with how the phone functions...now. But don't you want Apple to continue to expand. I often laugh about scenarios like this. Years ago it was the same thing, the iPhone functions well with a 3.5" screen. We don't need it to be bigger. There are numerous cases of this happening. Then Apple will make the change and iFans will laude it. The same will be true about RAM.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I can appreciate this. I come to this site periodically and read some of the posts and one thing that I always take away when I do is how defensive and obnoxious some iFans are. The reality is the more RAM the more functionality the phone will have. Many people can be happy with how the phone functions...now. But don't you want Apple to continue to expand. I often laugh about scenarios like this. Years ago it was the same thing, the iPhone functions well with a 3.5" screen. We don't need it to be bigger. There are numerous cases of this happening. Then Apple will make the change and iFans will laude it. The same will be true about RAM.
These are not all "iFans". But they are a very smart bunch.
http://www.quora.com/Why-is-the-iPh...ete-with-more-than-2-GB-RAM-of-Android-phones

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
These are not all "iFans". But they are a very smart bunch.
http://www.quora.com/Why-is-the-iPh...ete-with-more-than-2-GB-RAM-of-Android-phones

That article is citing performance when that wasn't my argument. RAM helps keep things in memory which allows for better multitasking and allowing more apps to stay in memory longer. And in some cases will in fact increase performance. Especially with heavier apps and websites.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
That article is citing performance when that wasn't my argument. RAM helps keep things in memory which allows for better multitasking and allowing more apps to stay in memory longer. And in some cases will in fact increase performance. Especially with heavier apps and websites.

And iOS does a great job of managing RAM. It works different from Android and needs less. I do think the 5.5" screen iP 6 Plus could use a bit more.

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
And iOS does a great job of managing RAM. It works different from Android and needs less. I do think the 5.5" screen iP 6 Plus could use a bit more.

iOS is lighter than Android true. But RAM will become a constraint as tech gets more advanced. 1GB will be fine now but in a year or 2, iOS will definitely need more than 1GB. Just like how RAM went up between the iPhone 4S and iPhone 5.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
iOS is lighter than Android true. But RAM will become a constraint as tech gets more advanced. 1GB will be fine now but in a year or 2, iOS will definitely need more than 1GB. Just like how RAM went up between the iPhone 4S and iPhone 5.

Agree the 6s and 6s Plus should get 2 gb whether they need it yet or not. Because they will soon. The Plus for sure.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
The iPhone 6 Plus didn't need 2GB of RAM to function optimally...otherwise it would have had it.

The next generation will probably have more RAM because functionality continues to increase the demand on system resources, and I personally think the next generation will be the cue to increase RAM. That said, thus far, it has not been a necessity, regardless of what Android fans seem to clamor on about here.

robbrick

Dec 12, 2003
www.dimensiondvd.com
I just think it's funny that people seem to think they know more about what an iPhone needs than Apple. They've done the research. They wouldn't release a device with not enough memory to do its intended job.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

iTechHead

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
I think more ram is needed if we're being honest. I'm not to heavy into specs in fact I couldn't careless but at the same time technology is advancing more and more each year and considering how light and optimized iOS is I think it would be a multitasking beast with 2gb of ram.

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
I just think it's funny that people seem to think they know more about what an iPhone needs than Apple. They've done the research. They wouldn't release a device with not enough memory to do its intended job.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

We are discussing the future not present. And history has shown, as time goes on, iOS updates will slow older devices. RAM will eventually become an issue if they continue to use 1GB.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Given the source of the rumors and the near perfect track record of KGI securities Ming-Chi Kuo it seems to be more of a yes than a maybe. The 6Plus has far more pixels to move, larger screen and frankly my 6 Plus was a bit dodgy at times compred to my Note 3 of past. More RAM allows for more efficiency and for Apple to improve on their multitasking abilities. It's not about what Apple is doing today, its what they are planning to do in the near term.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
The iPad Air 2 saw a bump in specs and with it 2GB of RAM, the iPhone is doing much more today than the 5S and it also needs better multi-tasking and RAM to keep more apps running in the background so you don't have to kill them off.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I'd say that it's pretty likely to happen this year. With iOS 9 and the multitasking features, I think the iPhone 6s will have two gigs of RAM for sure

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
No it'll be 1gb in order to appease all of the fanboi apologists who love to obstruct progress because they're ignorant.

Seriously? You do realize that your ignorance is on full display with that comment, right?

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
That would be nice. Even 3GB could help for the "future proofing". There may be cost, power consumption, and other technical considerations for why 2GB (assuming that will be the new RAM amount) ends up as the size rather than 3GB or even 4GB.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
No, not really serious. I admit it was a knee-jerk lash out.
Oh okay.
I'll apologize for the harsh and over-reactive tone of that post, but I don't apologize for the reasons behind it.
Apology accepted, and thank you.
I am sooo tired of hearing this pervasive sentiment from iPhone users of "no we don't need it" when it comes to spec bumps that would actually improve the experience.
I understand what you're saying, but I don't think iPhone users wouldn't welcome improvements to their choice device. Having said that, some of the 'it's not needed' statements are true. Certain advancements, although welcomed, are not necessarily needed.
The current gen of iPhones of a perfect example of this. This phone should have come with 2GB, regardless of Apple's "it's optimized" mantra to excuse their stubborn minimalistic and spartan attitude towards spec upgrades, and this attitude gets regurgitated by their fan base.
This is where we differ. Apple, like any other company, can't sell a thing without first appealing to consumers, specifically, it core base. If that core base was displeased with Apple's products and services, they would not buy them. The core base wants a phone that is simple to use, well supported and does what they want it to do and that is exactly what Apple provides. The technically advanced users always want more.
This does not help progress at all. Good lord, look at how long they stubbornly clung to 3 and 4 inch displays. It's almost a systemic cultural mindset at Apple.
Yet, when the core base demanded the bigger screens, they got it. Still, a good deal of them still prefer the 3.5 to 4-inch display sizes.
I don't think the important question is why should Apple have included 2GB of RAM on the 6 series. It should be why not?
There's nothing wrong with asking that question just like there is nothing wrong with people stating that 2 GB is unnecessary at this time, especially when bench test after bench test shows the iPhone's performance to be as competitive as it's spec'd out rivals.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2