It would hurt. The phone would use more battery and data with more RAM.

Sent from my ancient iPhone 5 (no longer trustworthy)
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think RAM doesn't effect how much data you use. It just stores temporary data to access quickly, like recently opened apps or browser tabs.
    A895 likes this.
    02-22-2015 04:51 PM
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think RAM doesn't effect how much data you use. It just stores temporary data to access quickly, like recently opened apps or browser tabs.
    Yep.
    Flow39 likes this.
    02-22-2015 04:58 PM
    I think you will see the ram count go up as its needed for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    02-22-2015 07:46 PM
    Eventually it'll happen. I mean as technology itself advances, it just becomes relevant. If applications on the app store requires more memory for it to run (which it will due to bigger file sizes) in the future then it's only appropriate that Apple includes more RAM in next generation iPhones.
    02-25-2015 03:00 PM
    Lmao. Ok well I'm going to try to tone my comment down but some of you need to get out of Apple's garden and try a device like the oneplus one. Just to see How it feels to use a device with lightweight software and plenty of ram. While the iPhone is very quick, I shouldn't get browser reloads when trying to hop between safari and messaging. And to say that any additional ram will use more power is an excuse. Any additional power needed for a second dim would be minimal. But the experience of the device would more than make up for it. Then again I may be partial because I'm coming from a device that can jump between the browser, injustice, and messaging without having to reload anything.
    saintforlife likes this.
    02-26-2015 02:33 PM
    Lmao. Ok well I'm going to try to tone my comment down but some of you need to get out of Apple's garden and try a device like the oneplus one. Just to see How it feels to use a device with lightweight software and plenty of ram.
    Thanks......and i agree that it's good to try different things sometimes, but also, it's not a bad thing to be content with what you already have.
    While the iPhone is very quick, I shouldn't get browser reloads when trying to hop between safari and messaging.
    Maybe, but how many people find what you're experiencing to be a nuisance?
    And to say that any additional ram will use more power is an excuse. Any additional power needed for a second dim would be minimal. But the experience of the device would more than make up for it. Then again I may be partial because I'm coming from a device that can jump between the browser, injustice, and messaging without having to reload anything.
    Yes, that is probably the reason for your partiality. Personally, I find my current iPhone ( the iPhone 6 Plus) to be fast, smooth, and sufficient enough for my needs to where I don't even consider additional specs. That's not to say that I wouldn't welcome any. I simply don't see a "need" for any at this time.
    02-26-2015 02:55 PM
    I don't want to make it sound as if I don't like this phone or anything, because that can't be further from the truth. I love the iPhone 6 but I'm not afraid to point out what I see as a deficiency and that ram. IMHO it's just not enough. Yes this fast processor makes up for it somewhat but I'd rather see how this beast will react without running into memory limits.
    Last edited by thebizz; 02-26-2015 at 03:18 PM.
    saintforlife likes this.
    02-26-2015 03:06 PM
    I don't want to make it sound as if I don't like this phone or anything, because that can't be further from the truth. I love the iPhone 6 but I'm not afraid to point out what I see as a deficiency and that ram. IMHO it's just not enough. Yes this fast processor makes up for it somewhat but I'd rather see how this beast will react without running into memory limits.
    I didn't think you were bashing the iPhone or anything. Heck, there was nothing at all wrong with what you posted......so dude, keep expressing your opinions. It's all good.
    02-26-2015 03:33 PM
    lol...memory limits? The only reason this conversation is happening is because you know that numerically, the iPhone's RAM is less than some of the competition, therefore you can point it out. If we had no idea what the RAM specs were on the device, this discussion wouldn't even be happening.

And what are we to expect when Apple releases a device with 2GB of RAM? Someone like you who comes in and says "Man, I really do like my iPhone, but I'd rather see how this device would react with 3GB of RAM so I stop running into "memory limits".

It's the same thing in the car world...Chevy releases a Camaro with "x" horsepower, then the Mustang comes out with a little more horsepower, and Ford people tell Chevy people "I couldn't possibly live with 525hp when my Mustang gives me 550...I just wouldn't want to live with that kind of limitation."

Absolutely hilarious!
    kch50428 likes this.
    02-26-2015 05:38 PM
    lol...memory limits? The only reason this conversation is happening is because you know that numerically, the iPhone's RAM is less than some of the competition, therefore you can point it out. If we had no idea what the RAM specs were on the device, this discussion wouldn't even be happening.

And what are we to expect when Apple releases a device with 2GB of RAM? Someone like you who comes in and says "Man, I really do like my iPhone, but I'd rather see how this device would react with 3GB of RAM so I stop running into "memory limits".

It's the same thing in the car world...Chevy releases a Camaro with "x" horsepower, then the Mustang comes out with a little more horsepower, and Ford people tell Chevy people "I couldn't possibly live with 525hp when my Mustang gives me 550...I just wouldn't want to live with that kind of limitation."

Absolutely hilarious!
    I didn't have to know how much ram this device has to know its not enough. If I didn't get frequent chrome or safari refreshes I would be fine with the hardware. In my experience replying to a message has kicked safari out of memory forcing me to find my place again after reading 100 out of 200 comments on a blog post. So yes I complain about hitting memory limits. You may be more forgiving for a $600+ device but when I've had a device that I've paid 360 after taxes give me a more seamless experience in that respect. It's time to call apple out. And please don't even try to paint me as a spec head because if it were about the numbers I sang sure wouldn't have this phone I would have gotten the note 4. But I understand the numbers mean nothing if the total package isn't their. I wanted a good experience and apple mostly provides that for me. But that's not to say it can't be better and with your attitude towards the situation it's clear why Apple hasn't pushed anything because their average user doesn't demand it or are to happy to make excuses for their oversights.
    What's funny is that you read my comment and Immediately assumed I was some spec head rather than pointing out a decency That I see. It's the same way most people defended Apple with the 4 inch screen until they played with the 4.7 and 5.5 inch iPhones and saw that Apple may not have been right to stick with such a small screen for so long.
    Last edited by thebizz; 02-26-2015 at 06:17 PM.
    02-26-2015 06:01 PM
    Oversights? LMFAO!

You know what kind of consumer I am? I'm a consumer that demands a top tier device with performance to match, and I got that with my iPhone 6 Plus, period. You can pretend like browser refreshes are a common problem for every user of the iPhone, and that some of us just choose to ignore or "deal" with it, but the truth is, it doesn't happen that often if at all.

What excuses have I made? The iPhone 6 and 6 Plus perform just fine with 1GB of RAM. Could Apple do better? Sure! They could slap 4GB of RAM into that thing, and there would be someone out there that would find something to complain about, and they would assess that it was because of some kind of "shortcoming" that in reality doesn't really exist.

With your attitude, no manufacturer will ever make a device up to your standards because there will always be something, somewhere that does it a hair better on paper.

There's nothing to be "forgiving" about my iPhone...it works near flawlessly and it does so with specs that are suitable to the devices intended usages. You think it needs 2GB of RAM to appease your idea of what is "optimal"...there might be someone out there that thinks it needs a ham sandwich printer to appease their idea of what is optimal. The vast majority of consumers who own the iPhone do not run into these phantom limitations because they're using the device within reasonable scenarios and expectations.

Lastly, the fact that you've described the OnePlus One as a more "seamless" experience compared to the iPhone kind of spells where your agenda originates. You enjoy calling out Apple all you like, lol...just because a manufacturer slaps a few redeeming hardware features on a cheap smart phone doesn't put it in the same league as the top tier devices, regardless of how impressed you've been by it.
    02-26-2015 06:22 PM
    Lmfao I will just agree to disagree. But if I felt that the oneplus one had a better user experience wouldn't I be using that phone rather than an iPhone. And if you are fine with Apple sticking with just good enough because the cpu is fast enough to make it appear seamless then be my guess. But it's a telling story that the iPad Air 2 has two gigs of ram correct. And given that the oneplus one is selling at a break even I wouldn't exactly call it cheap. Especially considering the iPhone doesn't cost anymore to produce. Though it may have better components
    A895 likes this.
    02-26-2015 07:09 PM
    True! Not sure what I was thinking about.

Sent from my ancient iPhone 5 (no longer trustworthy)
    Flow39 likes this.
    02-26-2015 07:23 PM
    Lmfao I will just agree to disagree. But if I felt that the oneplus one had a better user experience wouldn't I be using that phone rather than an iPhone. And if you are fine with Apple sticking with just good enough because the cpu is fast enough to make it appear seamless then be my guess. But it's a telling story that the iPad Air 2 has two gigs of ram correct. And given that the oneplus one is selling at a break even I wouldn't exactly call it cheap. Especially considering the iPhone doesn't cost anymore to produce. Though it may have better components
    Do you even understand what you're arguing anymore? You're all over the map...

How is the OnePlus One anything other than cheap? And what relevance does the build cost of the iPhone have anything to do with? Like arguing the build cost of a Porsche vs. the cheap cost of a Honda.

You keep implying that I'm settling for a "just good enough" device from Apple, but in reality, that isn't what I'm getting at all...I'm getting top tier hardware with competitive or better components and unmatched customer support.

You yourself said you had a more seamless user experience with the OnePlus One...those were YOUR words. If you didn't mean them, maybe you shouldn't have said them?
    02-26-2015 07:33 PM
    You have chosen to use an iPhone 6 Plus, right? Even though it lacks what you would like for it to have and you are experiencing browser refreshes when switching from Safari and iMessage, you are still opting to stick with the iPhone 6 Plus, right? Does that mean that "you are fine with Apple sticking with just good enough..."? Are there not well-made non-Apple smartphones out there with the specs you prefer? It's amazing how those of us who are content with the iPhone as it currently is are often deemed as iSheep, but others who opt to buy the same iPhone and are not content, see themselves as customers who demand that Apple provide a product on par with its competitors, of which many of them have just switched from using. Go figure!
    02-26-2015 07:37 PM
    Do you even understand what you're arguing anymore? You're all over the map...

How is the OnePlus One anything other than cheap? And what relevance does the build cost of the iPhone have anything to do with? Like arguing the build cost of a Porsche vs. the cheap cost of a Honda.

You keep implying that I'm settling for a "just good enough" device from Apple, but in reality, that isn't what I'm getting at all...I'm getting top tier hardware with competitive or better components and unmatched customer support.

You yourself said you had a more seamless user experience with the OnePlus One...those were YOUR words. If you didn't mean them, maybe you shouldn't have said them?
    If you want to be specific I stated that it provides a better multitasking experience. Never did I say that it provided a better overall experience. And let me correct myself Apple settled when it came to ram in my opinion. just as they did with the iPad 2 they should have used the same amount in the iPhone. Sorry but I don't like having the camera kicking all my apps out of memory especially when I have something else important going on and I need to use the camera. Never have I said that this phone didn't provide a great Experience and it wasn't great phone. So I will end this on track in my opinion this phone would have been better with two gigs of ram and in my opinion if the 6s has it I would buy the phone for that reason alone.
    02-26-2015 07:58 PM
    Everything I've read on how differently iOS and Android use Ram that iOS doesn't need 2 or 3 gigs of Ram to function efficiently.
    Efficiency and batt life are what Apple is concerned with.
    I'd rather have my browser refresh that have my battery life cut by so many percent because of increased ram hit on the battery.
    When Apple does do more Ram in a iPhone I believe it will be more efficient usage than other smartphones.
    For me there are too many positives with using a iPhone that I'm not concerned about ram.

Just_Me_D likes this.
    02-26-2015 08:04 PM
    iOS is very efficient. And you are correct android uses much more ram. But how would iOS be less efficient with two gigs of ram? If you haven't researched it the energy consumed by ram is negligible you literally wouldn't see a difference in battery life.
    A895 likes this.
    02-26-2015 08:23 PM
    iOS is very efficient. And you are correct android uses much more ram. But how would iOS be less efficient with two gigs of ram? If you haven't researched it the energy consumed by ram is negligible you literally wouldn't see a difference in battery life.
    I believe Apple would have certain tolerances they want to meet when it comes to power efficiency and power consumption of ram.
    Can they just throw in more ram? They probably could but how would that affect the current processing of iOS and the hardware of the device.

The main reason they have the M Coprocessor is to handle task that the main processor would handle but the M is more power efficient at doing it.
    So I believe it's not a given that more ram currently in a iPhone would be a negligible hit on the battery.

All of these things work hand in hand iOS processing,the current A8 M8, ram and other things. Adding more ram in the current iPhone may not be up to Apples tolerances for more ram in a iPhone.

Battery life is a huge concern for smartphone users.
    So possibly the next iPhone will have more ram but
    I'm almost certain that Apple wants it to be power efficient. They don't want the 6S Plus having less battery life than the 6 Plus. I would think either the same or more.

02-26-2015 09:15 PM
    If you want to be specific I stated that it provides a better multitasking experience. Never did I say that it provided a better overall experience. And let me correct myself Apple settled when it came to ram in my opinion. just as they did with the iPad 2 they should have used the same amount in the iPhone. Sorry but I don't like having the camera kicking all my apps out of memory especially when I have something else important going on and I need to use the camera. Never have I said that this phone didn't provide a great Experience and it wasn't great phone. So I will end this on track in my opinion this phone would have been better with two gigs of ram and in my opinion if the 6s has it I would buy the phone for that reason alone.
    These were your words buddy...

I've had a device that I've paid 360 after taxes give me a more seamless experience
    And I never argued whether it would be better with 2GB of RAM...I think that is a pretty obvious statement. My argument is that it's just fine with 1GB of RAM, and if we had no idea what the RAM was, we wouldn't be having this discussion, but because it does, you are going to attribute anything you've experienced to that.
    02-26-2015 10:14 PM
    [NOTE] Moved to iPhone 6S Forum[/NOTE]
    02-26-2015 11:17 PM
    You have chosen to use an iPhone 6 Plus, right? Even though it lacks what you would like for it to have and you are experiencing browser refreshes when switching from Safari and iMessage, you are still opting to stick with the iPhone 6 Plus, right? Does that mean that "you are fine with Apple sticking with just good enough..."? Are there not well-made non-Apple smartphones out there with the specs you prefer? It's amazing how those of us who are content with the iPhone as it currently is are often deemed as iSheep, but others who opt to buy the same iPhone and are not content, see themselves as customers who demand that Apple provide a product on par with its competitors, of which many of them have just switched from using. Go figure!
    I was already an iPhone owner still have my 5c on my dresser I've had iPhones since 2010. I made the iPhone 6 my primary device for multiple reasons I will stick with the iPhone for multiple reason some being that it is still the best overall sub 5 inch device, it has an excellent screen, arguable the best soc in a phone and it feels great in hand. but right now what I'm going through is minor compared to my dislike for Google now and a lot of what Google is doing. I'm sorry if I come off as a troll for pointing out something that I feel as if Apple has been stagnant on since the iPhone 5 something people complained about with the 5s yet Apple really hasn't addressed it other than ramping up ram speed and making the cpu faster. Apps are getting bigger they are taking more of a footprint in memory. Idk I'm the vocal minority. I would hope this is something that they address in the iPhone refresh.
    I haven't called anyone an isheep and I probably should have chosen my words better so not to come off as argumentative. My opinion still stand this is a chink in a very outstanding chain Apple built. Still to this day I can't fathom why they would give the iPad Air 2 more ram when they run the same os with the same features. If they felt the need in one product why not the other. Tolerance and power consumption I don't believe. because I've read up on test of ram and any power used for additional ram is easily offset the gains from easier loads on the cpu which uses 3-5 times more power.
    02-26-2015 11:25 PM
    I was already an iPhone owner still have my 5c on my dresser I've had iPhones since 2010. I made the iPhone 6 my primary device for multiple reasons I will stick with the iPhone for multiple reason some being that it is still the best overall sub 5 inch device, it has an excellent screen, arguable the best soc in a phone and it feels great in hand. but right now what I'm going through is minor compared to my dislike for Google now and a lot of what Google is doing. I'm sorry if I come off as a troll for pointing out something that I feel as if Apple has been stagnant on since the iPhone 5 something people complained about with the 5s yet Apple really hasn't addressed it other than ramping up ram speed and making the cpu faster. Apps are getting bigger they are taking more of a footprint in memory. Idk I'm the vocal minority. I would hope this is something that they address in the iPhone refresh.
    I haven't called anyone an isheep and I probably should have chosen my words better so not to come off as argumentative. My opinion still stand this is a chink in a very outstanding chain Apple built. Still to this day I can't fathom why they would give the iPad Air 2 more ram when they run the same os with the same features. If they felt the need in one product why not the other. Tolerance and power consumption I don't believe. because I've read up on test of ram and any power used for additional ram is easily offset the gains from easier loads on the cpu which uses 3-5 times more power.
    I think that it may be a combination of things. I truly think that manufacturers, not just Apple, hold back certain things to leave room for improvement for future devices. It may be a way that they keep costs down. And they may have also run tests and decided that the current iPhones don't need the extra RAM. Not only that, I'm pretty sure that we all can find things about any smartphone where we could nitpick as to what we think should have been implemented. If it had 2GB of RAM, someone would have surely brought up the fact that it doesn't have 3GB of RAM like some android devices. It's just the nature of it.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk
    robbrick and thebizz like this.
    02-26-2015 11:49 PM
    I don't care about RAM. As an ex android user, it really doesn't make a difference to me because the iPhone is smooth as butter with its 1gb ram. I'd be happy if they kept 1gb ram and upped the base model storage. I think the value of the phone will go up if they upped that compared to upping the ram. Most consumers care about camera quality, battery life, and other things.

03-02-2015 08:46 PM
    I would hope so. There's absolutely no reason for a 2014 flagship to have only 1GB of RAM. Especially a 2015 one (6S). I'm considering an iPhone because of the battery life, but I would really like for it to also be great at multitasking. Currently, apps are forced out of RAM if using too many apps at once, and they have to reload when opened. That's more of a battery killer than powering an extra GB could ever be

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimLP 5.0.2
    A895, thebizz and saintforlife like this.
    03-02-2015 09:39 PM
93 1234