What happened to the rumors that the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus will get sapphire display? Originally the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus were rumored to get it, but they didn't, which is why GT Advanced Technologies went bankrupt, I believe.

I'm curious if this will happen though with the next iPhones that are released in September. Maybe that will be one of the key features that stands apart from the 6 and 6 Plus?
    02-03-2015 07:25 PM
    Maybe so. Who knows? Basically what I heard was that they couldn't produce sapphire in enough quantity or quality for Apple even though they were contractually obligated to do so. It may be the case that the technology just isn't there to do so yet. I haven't heard any rumors of sapphire glass for this year yet--maybe the media was suitably chastised after all but promising the iPhone would have sapphire glass last year.
    02-03-2015 07:35 PM
    Just saw this pop up in my RSS feed: http://www.macrumors.com/2015/02/03/...e-displaymate/
    Haalcyon and lycafe like this.
    02-03-2015 07:45 PM
    Maybe so. Who knows? Basically what I heard was that they couldn't produce sapphire in enough quantity or quality for Apple even though they were contractually obligated to do so. It may be the case that the technology just isn't there to do so yet. I haven't heard any rumors of sapphire glass for this year yet--maybe the media was suitably chastised after all but promising the iPhone would have sapphire glass last year.
    After the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus came out, and people were already starting to talk about the iPhone 6s, a lot of people thought that the s would stand for sapphire. I'm hoping that the 6s will have sapphire, but that might make the phones more expensive price wise.
    02-04-2015 01:13 PM
    Just saw this pop up in my RSS feed: http://www.macrumors.com/2015/02/03/...e-displaymate/
    Thanks! I'll take a look at this article.
    02-04-2015 01:13 PM
    I was also surprised that there was no sapphire display after all the discussion about it. But it's OK really. I put a tempered glass protector on my device and I'm happy with how it looks, even if it's not perfect.
    02-04-2015 01:45 PM
    It was just rumors, after all! I think it was a supply issue.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5
    02-04-2015 05:58 PM
    Well with the rumored project Phire from Corning, I think we will see that rather than sapphire. Sapphire is still much more expensive, and harder to make in the amounts and quality that apple demands.
    Flow39 likes this.
    02-08-2015 04:12 PM
    Well with the rumored project Phire from Corning, I think we will see that rather than sapphire. Sapphire is still much more expensive, and harder to make in the amounts and quality that apple demands.
    I was about to reply with this exact same thing haha. The release of the Project Phire glass coincides perfectly with an iPhone launch. The launch date for Project Phire is supposedly September, so right around the iPhone launch time.
    05-10-2015 05:20 PM
    What about "liquid metal" or something to that effect... Made some headlines back when Apple acquired that company a couple of years ago...
    05-18-2015 08:53 PM
    Another company is already offering sapphire glass on their phones. While sapphire glass is more scratch resistant, it is more easily damaged when dropped, perhaps Apple saw the risk in the amount of display replacements and the cost of sapphire glass.
    06-22-2015 09:19 PM
    Another company is already offering sapphire glass on their phones. While sapphire glass is more scratch resistant, it is more easily damaged when dropped, perhaps Apple saw the risk in the amount of display replacements and the cost of sapphire glass.
    All I really want is that extra scratch resistance. I have only dropped my phone twice (once in the road from about 3 feet, and another time from about 5 feet onto carpet) an I have had no problems with screens ever breaking.

I just recently (1.5 months ago) took my screen protector off of my phone, and the screen has a few small, barely noticeable scratches. I am worried that in September when I upgrade again, this phone will have a few larger scratches on the screen.
    06-24-2015 12:54 AM
    I would put a tempered glass screen protector on your current iPhone. If you drop it, the tempered glass protector takes the hit, you get a new one and you're off to the races. No worries.
    06-30-2015 09:27 PM
    What happened to the rumors that the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus will get sapphire display? Originally the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus were rumored to get it, but they didn't, which is why GT Advanced Technologies went bankrupt, I believe.

I'm curious if this will happen though with the next iPhones that are released in September. Maybe that will be one of the key features that stands apart from the 6 and 6 Plus?
    We should know all about it in August or September when Apple tells us. Rumors and speculation don't really matter, because they are, after all, rumors and speculation.
    06-30-2015 09:59 PM
    this isn't how GTA went bankrupt. my parents work for GTP, a supplier of GTA. GTA couldn't afford to make the glass for Apple anymore because GTP was charging them so much for the materials. GTP is the only seller of the materials for sapphire glass on this side of the world. When GTA went bankrupt, they almost made my parents company go bankrupt because they were making much less than before

(GTP= Global Tungsten and Powders)
    Haalcyon likes this.
    06-30-2015 11:10 PM
    We should know all about it in August or September when Apple tells us. Rumors and speculation don't really matter, because they are, after all, rumors and speculation.
    Rumors are kind of fun though-kind of like guessing the mystery presents your parents got you for Christmas
    07-01-2015 12:28 AM