Help! About Two-factor authentication.

ncbrzll

May 12, 2018
Visit site
I factory reset my device, now I'm on the two-factor authentication screen and typed my number. How am I able to receive the code while setting up my iPhone?

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I factory reset my device, now I'm on the two-factor authentication screen and typed my number. How am I able to receive the code while setting up my iPhone?

Don’t worry, if your SIM card is in the device, when you receive an Authentication code to set up your device it will automatically fill in the received code.

You don’t have to do anything. Just enter your phone number and hit send.

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Rather than starting a new thread. How can I turn off two factor authentication? I signed out of my Apple ID.
And somehow after signing in again, it enabled it. Now when I go into passwords and security, it is greyed out.
I don’t have an option to turn it off, the same goes if I sign into my Apple ID, and go into security. It shows it is on, but there is no option to turn it off. Thanks

Edit: So I Google the problem, and it is telling me you have to do it on a computer or call Apple with the phones serial number.
I called Apple, and they said, once it is enabled. You cannot turn it off, they are supposed to send an email saying you have two weeks to un-enroll in two factor authentication.
He was explaining, that this will be the future of IOS for better security.
My worry is if I have to restore this phone from factory settings.
Will two factor authentication give me issues because of that extra layer of security?
Thanks again everyone in advance.

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Rather than starting a new thread. How can I turn off two factor authentication? I signed out of my Apple ID.
And somehow after signing in again, it enabled it. Now when I go into passwords and security, it is greyed out.
I don’t have an option to turn it off, the same goes if I sign into my Apple ID, and go into security. It shows it is on, but there is no option to turn it off. Thanks

Edit: So I Google the problem, and it is telling me you have to do it on a computer or call Apple with the phones serial number.
I called Apple, and they said, once it is enabled. You cannot turn it off, they are supposed to send an email saying you have two weeks to un-enroll in two factor authentication.
He was explaining, that this will be the future of IOS for better security.
My worry is if I have to restore this phone from factory settings.
Will two factor authentication give me issues because of that extra layer of security?
Thanks again everyone in advance.

Not sure. If you know the code, you should be OK. I didn't want it. When I set up my 6s Plus as new, they were sneaky about offering the option. I tapped on it by mistake, but was able to disable it via the email they sent. I don't want anything that might Block me from my iPhone or account. I really don't feel the need for it. Apple wants users to think it's necessary, but it's not. Just be sure you use a strong password if you disable it.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
From Apple's support site:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204915

Can I turn off two-factor authentication after I’ve turned it on?

If you already use two-factor authentication, you can no longer turn it off. Certain features in the latest versions of iOS and macOS require this extra level of security, which is designed to protect your information. If you recently updated your account, however, you can unenroll for a period of two weeks. Just open your enrollment confirmation email and click the link to return to your previous security settings. Keep in mind, this makes your account less secure and means that you can't use features that require a higher level of security.

If you recently enrolled in 2FA (less than 2 weeks and still have the email) then you can still turn it off.

If you are keeping the same device / sim card / phone number, you should get a pop up with a code when you try to log back in. Likewise, if you have another device such as an iPad that's also signed in with your same Apple ID, that device will also get the 2FA code.

Hope that helped.

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Not sure. If you know the code, you should be OK. I didn't want it. When I set up my 6s Plus as new, they were sneaky about offering the option. I tapped on it by mistake, but was able to disable it via the email they sent. I don't want anything that might Block me from my iPhone or account. I really don't feel the need for it. Apple wants users to think it's necessary, but it's not. Just be sure you use a strong password if you disable it.

Those are my same sentiments, I disabled it. My password is strong enough, where even I cannot remember it.
I had to write it down when I went to the Apple Store to upgrade.
And I do remember two-factor authentication causing issues when I tried to active my 6 way back when.

From Apple's support site:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204915

If you recently enrolled in 2FA (less than 2 weeks and still have the email) then you can still turn it off.

If you are keeping the same device / sim card / phone number, you should get a pop up with a code when you try to log back in. Likewise, if you have another device such as an iPad that's also signed in with your same Apple ID, that device will also get the 2FA code.

Hope that helped.

Thanks, What is odd, when I turned on my tv. The Apple TV did not send me a prompt to input the password.
When you turn off two-factor authentication, you’re required to change your password, which would have made the password on my Apple TV wrong.
I did sign out on my Apple TV, and I signed back in to make sure. All seems good now.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen