iPhone thinks the headphone is plugged in

sleepngbear

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
iPhone 6s Plus. Twice within a week now, I have no sound, and it turns out that the phone thinks the headphone is plugged in (adjusting the volume up or down shows 'Headphone' on screen). Both times I had not used headphones since the previous time the phone was working. There are a few answers on the web, so it's obviously a known problem. I tried hard-resetting, plugging phones in and out several times, the only thing that works is to connect the phone to a blue tooth speaker, start playing a song, then shut the speaker off, plug/unplug a headphone, and then the phone stops losing its mind and works properly. But I have no idea why it just started doing this. No updates have been applied recently since 10.3.2, which was installed the day it was available, and no new apps that I can recall around the time it started happening.

Anyone else experiencing this, and any ideas on how to stop it from recurring?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It’s possible that debris of some sort inside the headphone port could be causing the problem. Having said that, have you tried cleaning it out?

sleepngbear

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
I blew air into it, plugged/unplugged a headphone several times, didn't fix it.

It just did it again, 2nd time today. I plugged into iTunes to do a full backup, and that actually corrected it. Don't know if it's temporary or not.

On a chat right now with Apple support. They want to do a full iOS re-install. Wonderful.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I blew air into it, plugged/unplugged a headphone several times, didn't fix it.

It just did it again, 2nd time today. I plugged into iTunes to do a full backup, and that actually corrected it. Don't know if it's temporary or not.

On a chat right now with Apple support. They want to do a full iOS re-install. Wonderful.

At least you got it working correctly, and I agree with Apple Support in that you should consider doing a clean install.

tdelfie03

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
That happened to my 6s also. I brought it to an store and when they did the testing the battery was bad( I had no battery issues) so they replaced the phone. No issues after.

sleepngbear

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
That happened to my 6s also. I brought it to an store and when they did the testing the battery was bad( I had no battery issues) so they replaced the phone. No issues after.

Bad battery caused that? Wow.

The OS re-install went quick, but I made an appointment at the Genius bar anyway. Let 'em check the battery, maybe I get a new phone out of it. :smile:

tdelfie03

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
Bad battery caused that? Wow.

The OS re-install went quick, but I made an appointment at the Genius bar anyway. Let 'em check the battery, maybe I get a new phone out of it. :smile:

I don't think it was the battery but because it was bad they replaced the phone.

sleepngbear

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Well, it's happening pretty regularly now. I saw the big music notes when I just woke it up, so something when it wakes up has it thinking the phones are plugged in. Gonna try leaving blue tooth off and see if that makes a difference.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like a hardware issue with the headphone jack. Needs to be replaced, hopefully with a brand new phone.

sleepngbear

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Of course, today the phone was behaving just fine. At the Apple store, after I explained the issue and what I've done to try to correct it, the associate took it in back to clean out the headphone jack. When he came back, it was stuck on Headphone again. Bang -- new phone. Just finished the restore from this morning's backup and everything looks back to normal.

Went a year and 9 months with no problems -- if I can get close to that out of this one, I'll be a happy camper.

Thanks to all for the info and suggestions!

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Of course, today the phone was behaving just fine. At the Apple store, after I explained the issue and what I've done to try to correct it, the associate took it in back to clean out the headphone jack. When he came back, it was stuck on Headphone again. Bang -- new phone. Just finished the restore from this morning's backup and everything looks back to normal.

Went a year and 9 months with no problems -- if I can get close to that out of this one, I'll be a happy camper.

Thanks to all for the info and suggestions!

Woot! You lucked out that your problem came back right in front of the Apple Store employee. Enjoy your brand new iPhone!

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711