Bad idea to buy a iPhone with a small crack?-1486124965864.jpg

Isn't smart? I was wondering if the crack could possibly expand. It's very cheap because the owner got the 7 plus.

Pics attached. Owner said it's been a few month and hasn't cracked anymore.

I didn't buy it and passed on it due to concerns over future cost but just for future reference since cracked screened I phones are very common.

What do you think with no AppleCare?
    02-03-2017 07:31 AM
    When in doubt, don't buy it. Unless the price difference is higher than the replacement costs for a new screen, I'd buy a new iPhone if I were you.
    It's not a matter of 'if' but 'when' the crack will expand.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    02-03-2017 08:00 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1486124965864.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	116109

Isn't smart? I was wondering if the crack could possibly expand. It's very cheap because the owner got the 7 plus.

Pics attached. Owner said it's been a few month and hasn't cracked anymore.

I didn't buy it and passed on it due to concerns over future cost but just for future reference since cracked screened I phones are very common.

What do you think with no AppleCare?
    I will go along with @Tartarus comments, if in doubt never go for the deal. Not only smartphones but anything, something that gets you in doubt and do not feel good at heart about it should never opt for it. If the screen was replaced initially would have thought about getting it.
    02-03-2017 08:04 AM
    Good response, it's going to expand eventually.
    02-03-2017 08:04 AM
    What they said. ^
    02-03-2017 08:09 AM
    I wouldn't buy it as while you could take it to Apple and get a new screen fitted was any other damage done when the screen crack occurred?
    02-03-2017 03:50 PM
    If the cost of the phone they are selling is significantly less than the cost of replacing the screen at Apple then it could be worth it. Keep in mind that a screen does not break on its own though, so there was likely a drop
    Tartarus and mumfoau like this.
    02-03-2017 04:00 PM
    he wanted 250 so I'm guessing it's 179 for a screen according to apple out of warranty cost. Still a tad bit cheaper than used street value.
    02-03-2017 04:25 PM
    I wouldn't buy it if it had a crack in the screen. You never know when that crack can expand. You're better off looking on eBay if you're okay with buying a used iPhone. Many sellers have phones in good to excellent condition for reasonable prices.
    02-03-2017 04:40 PM
    I would not take the chance!
    02-03-2017 06:19 PM
    too expensive
    02-04-2017 08:05 AM
    If you're looking for a second hand phone have you tried somewhere like CEX which offers a 24 month warranty on everything they sell.

A bit of piece of mind and still cheaper than buying brand new
    02-04-2017 08:25 AM
    I'm looking into it I'm not touching the cracked phone.
    02-04-2017 06:59 PM
    If the cost of the phone they are selling is significantly less than the cost of replacing the screen at Apple then it could be worth it. Keep in mind that a screen does not break on its own though, so there was likely a drop í*½í¸ƒ
    Exactly what I was thinking. I've even done that before and had no issues. Always best to be mindful with secondhand items to be sure though.
    bamf-hacker likes this.
    02-05-2017 08:02 AM
    Just a thought, but if you get Apple to put a new screen in you'll have a new, unscratched phone for less than a used model. If the back's unscathed I'd be tempted to go for it.
    02-05-2017 11:12 AM
    Yeah if you got a good deal then why not. I would buy it. You can get the screen replaced. All good
    02-06-2017 11:53 AM
    I'm looking into it. I'm not touching the cracked phone.
    I think that would be the best choice. I'm sure if you looked after the phone the crack wouldn't get any bigger.
    There is nothing wrong with using something second hand because you can normally get fantastic deals.

BUT if the screen is cracked i wouldn't go near it. (s)He is selling it for a reason. I don't mind scratches and just general wear but not a screen with almost a hole haha. :P
    02-13-2017 07:28 AM
    A little late to the party perhaps, but I'd pass on it. Personally, I would not buy a device with a cracked screen unless it was for parts only. The major reason - you don't know if there is water damage because of a bit of moisture coming into the interior of the device due to the cracked screen. I don't mean a spill, but just some condensation from being in a shower room or going from a warm house to a cold, humid outside. You wouldn't know, and then you pop off the screen to replace it and there it is and you're stuck with a phone that could potentially stop working far sooner than anticipated. Perhaps this is unlikely, but I would worry about it.

I did a quick search on swappa this morning, and there are multiple space gray 6S+ for sale in great condition with no cracked screens for $450 or so, which is about the price of the device plus a repair. If you want to spend just a tad bit more, you could also get an Apple refurbished with a full warranty.
    02-14-2017 10:42 AM
    I bought a 6 plus with a shattered screen, my friend let me try it for a few days before we sealed the deal. It was only $50 though. Changed the screen out and I got a super cheap phone now. If it wasn't my friend that I trust and so cheap I wouldn't have done it though. No way would I do it for $250 though.
    02-14-2017 12:36 PM