Note 7 and our 10W chargers

SkydiverTilt

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Hey everyone with our 6S pluses. Since we have the option of using our iPad 10W chargers as opposed to the 5W for faster charging; is anyone concerned about the extra juice on the battery? The quick charge seems to be the issue for the Note 7. I know I went back to the 5W for over night charges.

BradKamin

Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
Hey everyone with our 6S pluses. Since we have the option of using our iPad 10W chargers as opposed to the 5W for faster charging; is anyone concerned about the extra juice on the battery? The quick charge seems to be the issue for the Note 7. I know I went back to the 5W for over night charges.

I've been using the 10 watt charger since the 6 came out without any issues I'm not about to go back. The 5 watt charger takes far to long to charger for my liking especially with the plus models.

SkydiverTilt

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Been using the 10W myself, but lately I've been a little paranoid so I use the 5W at night since the phone is by my face and time doesn't matter at that point.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
I have been charging my iPhone with the iPad charger with no issue for years. It's noticeably faster. Apple even states on their page that an iPad charger can be used for iPhone's or iPhone charger on an iPad ( it will just take longer)

Because the actual "charger" is inside the phone, not the adapter, it won't damage the iPhone to use a higher-wattage adapter. The load determines the current drawn from the power source. The power source does not push current; it supplies voltage up to a specified maximum available current.

The main point is the 10W unit you are using is not a "charger". It is a power supply that supplies 5V with a maximum output of 2A. (Power =Voltage X Current). You could use a 1000W charger and it would not damage the iPhone's battery since the charging profile of the internal charger controls the charging rate and maximum battery voltage at end of charge. If you use an external power supply that doesn't supply enough current to the devices (i.e. a 1W charger). it will take much longer to charge the battery. This is why you are seeing a faster charge with the 10W since it is supplying enough current to meet the internal charger's current profile.

SkydiverTilt

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Oh I agree, but I'm sure Note owners thought they had the same functioning tech...unfortunately that battery tech can fail as we've seen recently.

The root cause seems to be super charging the battery, as what the 10W charger does, regardless of whether or not the iPhone allows it.

Damien_Eternal

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Oh I agree, but I'm sure Note owners thought they had the same functioning tech...unfortunately that battery tech can fail as we've seen recently.

The root cause seems to be super charging the battery, as what the 10W charger does, regardless of whether or not the iPhone allows it.

Then that is an issue with the charging circuit in the device, not the charger. The charger will only supply enough current to meet the charging demand, how much is demanded from the charger by the device. And it will only provide it as long as the device dictates. Its the same as a PSU inside a computer. Just because it is capable of providing 1kW doesnt mean it is at all times pushing that much.