Cases do they do harm to your phone ?

richxps

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
Curious but does keeping your phone in a case such as the otter box symmetry damage the back of your phone ? I noticed that in a weeks time the ports on the case r full of dust.. the Apple Store rep told me dust gets in the case and can scratch the back of your phone . He advised me that apple cases prevent that ?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like a sales pitch to me. I haven't had any scratch issues or damage to any of my iPhones over the past few years. I have used Otterbox exclusively.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't be concerned about a case scratching your iPhone. Make sure everything is clean before putting the case on and you'll be fine.

anon(7901790)

Dec 24, 2015
Visit site
Let's see. Using a case with the remote possibility of getting a scratch on your phone from dust...or...not using a case, dropping your phone and definitely getting a ding (or worse) on your phone...

StayClassy101

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I would agree that it sounds like a sales pitch. Maybe a couple of years ago with the iPhone 5 when they were sensitive to scratches but not with any other iPhone. I used to have a otterbox symmetry on my SE with no problems.

MBM7881

Jul 31, 2016
Visit site
I've used plenty of Otterbox defender cases and never had an issue with scratching. That dude was trying hard lol

twinlight

May 25, 2015
Visit site
Most cases have a soft cloth surface on the inside. I can see a corn of sand being a problem even with these cases.

Other harm would be lower cell signal and heat dissipation, especially when quick charging the phone.

Very low risk of both put certainly possible with really bad cases.

anon(39328)

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
About the only problem I've had with cases is discoloration around the Apple logo, due to the cut out in the back that so many case makers feel like they need to include. I've had this problem only on the iPhone 6. Not a problem so far on the 6s+, and wasn't a problem on the 5 models.

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
About the only problem I've had with cases is discoloration around the Apple logo, due to the cut out in the back that so many case makers feel like they need to include. I've had this problem only on the iPhone 6. Not a problem so far on the 6s+, and wasn't a problem on the 5 models.

I hate the cut out! Why does it feel hard to find cases without them?

richxps

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
Thanks all I think I'll stick with the new updated symmetry case, it's pretty thin like the Magpul and all sides are protected.

Damien_Eternal

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I cant see what harm a case in of itself would do to the phone. The only issue I can see is if sand or dust gets into the case and between it and the phone. That might cause it to scratch, but other than that I cant see anything that would happen.

Chuck_IV

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
It's actually not BS that particles can work their way into a case and scratch things. The BS part is that Apple cases prevent this. NO case is immune to it. Better cases can keep this to a minimum but it can still happen.

What I do is remove the case once in a while and wipe the phone and inside of the case down to help keep this risk low.

fredriks

May 24, 2013
Visit site
I have seen phones with marks on its backside and those have been in a tpu case all of the time. Probably there has been dust and mickroparticals that have scratch it's backside, there are colour deformations and spots where it's colour has come off.

anon(9776449)

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
When I first bought my iPhone 6s Plus on November one week later of use I started to realize some white spots on the back of my phone. I was using a clear TPU case by the way. I went to a Apple Store and they said that it was dust inside of the case and they have scratched the aluminum of the phone. I couldn't do anything. I was really upset because it's not a cheap phone. But, ok. I started cleaning the dust in the case weekly in order not to scratch that. Guess what, the spots started growing out of control. It looked really disgusting. Awful. So I went to a different Apple Store and they took my iPhone to analyze. I was with no phone during three days then they call me saying those spots were aluminum discoloration. Something really rare in a iPhone and thank god they gave me a new one.
If dust scratches you phone? Maybe. But if you wanna make sure your phone is completely intact take of the case and clean it weekly. This is what I do seeing what happened before I'm afraid now.
So I clean the case and the back of the phone weekly. I don't think you need to buy specific cases for you phone nor Apple cases. Just take care.