What is eating my storage up with a FRESHLY NEW IPHONE?

Loco Emperor

Jun 3, 2016
Visit site
I have a 16 gb 6s plus and I am trying to figure out where all my storage is going to?

I understand iOS uses part of the storage but I have literally downloaded this one app for imore and its already saying I have 6 or more Gb missing from it.

Loving the phone but I am hating this weirdness with storage.

I don want to pay nearly $20O more just to get the 64 gb(from what I understand with T-Mobile, well qualified would be $129 down PLUS the tax on the 849). Especially since I plan to trade this in in September but why is the storage so low. I ask because I looked online and it said 16 gb should leave you with 11-12 GB
ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1466059479.446647.jpg

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
According to your screenshot you were left with 11.3GB and you've used an additional 1.2GB. This is quite normal for a new device. Are you certain a 64GB would be an extra $200? According to Apple's pricing model 64GB only costs an additional $100. Then again, I don't know what incentives T-Mobile is offering on the 16GB model.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Yes, that's normal. 11.5 is what you should have available to start. You're in good shape. Just be careful how much music you put on it. You can use cloud based apps like Box and Dropbox for photo storage.

Loco Emperor

Jun 3, 2016
Visit site
Yes, that's normal. 11.5 is what you should have available to start. You're in good shape. Just be careful how much music you put on it. You can use cloud based apps like Box and Dropbox for photo storage.

If 11.5 GB is what I should have to start then how am I already using 1.2 GB? I don't have any music or apps except imore. That's what's confusing me.

Honey Beagle

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
I have a 16 gb 6s plus and I am trying to figure out where all my storage is going to?

I understand iOS uses part of the storage but I have literally downloaded this one app for imore and its already saying I have 6 or more Gb missing from it.

Loving the phone but I am hating this weirdness with storage.

I don want to pay nearly $20O more just to get the 64 gb(from what I understand with T-Mobile, well qualified would be $129 down PLUS the tax on the 849). Especially since I plan to trade this in in September but why is the storage so low. I ask because I looked online and it said 16 gb should leave you with 11-12 GB
View attachment 108149

All those applications in your screen shot most likely add up to the used space you are asking about.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
That list is not a total complete list of everything that takes space on the phone.
There's this:
Audio: Songs, audio podcasts, audiobooks, voice memos, and ringtones
Video: Movies, music videos, and TV shows
Photos: Camera Roll content, Photo Stream, and Photo Library
Apps: Installed apps
Books: iBooks books and PDF files
Documents & Data: Safari Offline Reading List, files created within apps, and app content like contacts, calendars, messages, and emails (and their attachments)
Other: Settings, Siri voices, system data, and cached files.
To get a better look at what's taking space, look on the computer. Plug your phone in to the computer and look there.

Loco Emperor

Jun 3, 2016
Visit site
That list is not a total complete list of everything that takes space on the phone.
There's this:
Audio: Songs, audio podcasts, audiobooks, voice memos, and ringtones
Video: Movies, music videos, and TV shows
Photos: Camera Roll content, Photo Stream, and Photo Library
Apps: Installed apps
Books: iBooks books and PDF files
Documents & Data: Safari Offline Reading List, files created within apps, and app content like contacts, calendars, messages, and emails (and their attachments)
Other: Settings, Siri voices, system data, and cached files.
To get a better look at what's taking space, look on the computer. Plug your phone in to the computer and look there.

Remember this was a fresh install. So literally nothing on the phone.

That being said I discovered apps like tinder apparently used a whopping 1.6 gb of data. How or why i do not know.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
But this was after I begin downloading apps.
It was at 10 gb before anything else

I've had new apps come in with a lot of cache before. Google Photos was one. I deleted it, then reinstalled it. No issue since. Who knows? It's not always perfect with our tiny computers and their applications. If the app in question continues to cache too much and it has no "Delete cache" option, I would contact the developer. I use TapaTalk. It builds up cache to over 1 gb. But it has a built-in delete cache option.

metalchick719

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Totally normal. Of course, everything that's preinstalled, plus the operating system itself, takes up space. You're never going to have a full 16GB or whatever amount of storage your phone is. I have the 64GB version, and if I remember correctly, it had 55.6GB out of the box. I wouldn't have gone with the 16GB, but that's me. You're always going to feel more short-changed with that one, all things considered.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh