I have asked this question many times in Apple Community Support, Apple On Line support, and Verizon support. And nobody has ever had an answer. I also had the same problem with my iPhone 5S. Now, I'm not talking about Messenger (that I have linked to FaceBook). A lot of people get the two mixed up. I m asking about the 'Messages' app.
    When you open the app to check for messages, you can see at the top there is a place that says 'Contacts & SMS', and right next to it is a place that says 'Unknown Senders'. My understanding of this unknown box, was for messages from anyone NOT in your contact list. I may be wrong since the first box includes SMS. ??? I really started paying attention to that part, when I started getting a LOT of spam messages. Maybe a couple years ago. Some came from senders that included a phone number. But a huge amount came with just a few numbers. (Like when your bank or someplace sends you a retrieval code) At one point I got very spooked because a couple of the "messages" I got posted my home address. The only answers I got from Apple and Verizon was that I should not put my email addy or other personal info on any forms I had to fill out. (Let's just pretend I didn't have to submit the same info to both of them) But, that was that. No answer about why I was getting unfiltered messages.
    So....Even though I realize I'm a newbie, I thought I would ask you all. Does anyone know if I have missed a setting somewhere that I can go to and fix it? Or maybe there is a super secret link I can use to reroute these messages? I keep thinking there has to be something I didn't do right?
    If anyone here knows what I'm talking about, and especially how to fix it, I will be so grateful!
    Thanks a bunch!
    Barb M.
    06-13-2016 05:08 AM
  2. Just_Me_D said: Best Answer

Did you follow the steps outlined via the iMore Blog? To be on the safe side, follow the instructions using the below link.

How to filter and disable notifications for iMessages from unknown senders | iMore
    Did you follow the steps outlined via the iMore Blog? To be on the safe side, follow the instructions using the below link.

How to filter and disable notifications for iMessages from unknown senders | iMore
    06-13-2016 07:43 AM