Background apps affecting battery life?

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
iOS does a very good job of doing this so there isn't much for the user to do. The only suggestion I would have is to turn off background app refresh and changing location from "always" in the settings menu. You can do that by going to settings and then choosing your app that is using battery life. There is a toggle for background app refresh. Turn it off. Then go to location and make sure it doesn't say always. iOS pretty much takes care of anything else.

All that being said, I don't do either of those things for the apps I use the most and get more than enough battery all day/night.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Most apps don't run in the background very long. Some more than others. But it's not a battery issue. The 3 big battery users are screen brightness, push notifications, and location services. So turn your screen brightness down as much as possible, turn off unnecessary app push notifications, turn off location services you don't need.

sangs

Trusted Member
Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
Most apps don't run in the background very long. Some more than others. But it's not a battery issue. The 3 big battery users are screen brightness, push notifications, and location services. So turn your screen brightness down as much as possible, turn off unnecessary app push notifications, turn off location services you don't need.

Aside from my iCloud e-mail, what else "pushes?" And that actually doesn't make sense to me. Now "fetching" I can see as a battery drain, especially if you have it polling to fetch, say every 15 minutes. But isn't "push" designed to only be active when something is there? Shouldn't that theoretically reduce battery drain?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Aside from my iCloud e-mail, what else "pushes?" And that actually doesn't make sense to me. Now "fetching" I can see as a battery drain, especially if you have it polling to fetch, say every 15 minutes. But isn't "push" designed to only be active when something is there? Shouldn't that theoretically reduce battery drain?

All those apps you get notifications from are push. Fetch uses battery too, but it's not used as much as push.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77