S7 edge 32gb or 6s Plus 16gb? Same price.

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys, i currently have a htc m8 and will upgrade to one of this phones.

S7 edge is a very superior device in some points compared to the apple device. i like the screen, waterproofing, camera, the phoe is beautiful, charges fast and also have 32gb of storage that is a sweet spot for me.

The 6s plus have a good screen, camera and battery, maybe not as good as the s7e, but what i am expecting from the iphone is a device that will last me 2 years or more, with no lags, no slowing down over time, and here in Brazil it will hold his price a lot better than the samsung device. I have friends that still have the iphone 5c and 5s and never factory reseted it, and are working fine with no lags or slowdowns. on my htc, since i am going back and forth from sense and gpe i never use the phone in same firmware for more than 4 months, so every 4 months or every android update i factory reset it to keep it smooth, if i never factory reseted it, i'm pretty sure the device would be laggy right now.

What i don't like about the iphone, the 16gb version, is the same price as 32gb s7e, and i will have to keep an eye on storage, or i can buy the 64gb version, but it will be more money in an already crazy expensive phone. And since both are expensive, they will have to last me 2 or 3 years minimum.

Also i don't like touchwiz very much, i could use it but is not my favourite android skin. and there is the android updates that are always delayed on non nexus phones.

So what do you guys think is the best option, considering the points i made here. Thanks.

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to iMore!

This is a tough one to answer. It is going to depend on what works best for your workflow. Both phones have their advantages over each other. The biggest for the S7 being the storage size. The biggest for the iPhone 6s Plus is it battery life and how smooth it works. You will ultimately have to decide which is the better one for you. Also the 6s Plus will retain some of it value after 2 years or more, but do not expect to get most of your money back after that kind of time period.

You have to make the final call. Make a list of Pro's and Con's for each phone. Compare them and decide what will be the best for you and your needs.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Since you're looking for a phone that will last you 2 years or even more without lag and continous software support, get the 6s Plus. I'll recommend saving a little bit more and get 64gb.

aggie

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Both are excellent devices in their own way. Strictly talking about hardware I do not think there is a phone on the market that tops the S7e. However you mention that you do not care for touchwiz. The S7e is still very much touchwiz but Samsung has toned down the crazy colors to make it appear more like stock android. It also seems slightly better optimized and lighter than previous versions.

I have both and honestly have a hard time deciding which device to use from day to day. Just going by the items of importance that you outlined it would be hard to say to get anything other than the iPhone. I would however opt to spend a little extra for the 64 gb version. Spend plenty of hands on time with each in store before making a decision. You might decide touchwiz isn't as bad as what you have expected (I actually like it now) or you may not like it at all and it make you sure about your decision to purchase an iPhone.

Chuck_IV

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
I just came over to the iPhone from being a Samsung guy for years(Note 2 then 4). There are ways to not have to use Touch Wiz. I ran with Nova launcher which was much better in terms of flexibility and feel. Android, unlike the iPhone allows you to customize things like the launcher.

Now with that said, I love my new iPhone(6s plus) and would have a hard time going back and I have only been on this thing for less than a week. What I have noticed is that with Apple, everything is much more integrated. For instance, I went to use the Best Buy app and when I went to buy, I found I could use Apple Pay through the phone and it is also integrated with Touch ID so I could simply touch a button to ID myself instead of having to type in a password(the finger print reader on the iPhone is amazing). Even some of the apps I used on Android seem much better and more well designed on the iPhone. Sling player and the Tivo app come to mind.

It is a tough call but having experienced the integration and better usability of things, I can deal with not having a ton of customization on the iPhone. The other thing to consider is if you do plan to keep the phone for 2-3 years, you may be better off with a iPhone since you will continue to get updates. With Samsung, they usually stop releasing update after about 2 years or so.

Also, updates come slow from Samsung and then your carrier will slow the update down even more because they want or load you up with additional bloatware. You don't have that carrier layer on an iPhone, with regard to updates.

I will say tho(as stated by others) if you do go for an iPhone, save up a few more bucks and get at least the 64gb version. You will thank yourself later.

Last edited:

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site

S7 edge is a very superior device in some points compared to the apple device. i like the screen, waterproofing, camera, the phoe is beautiful, charges fast and also have 32gb of storage that is a sweet spot for me.

The 6s plus have a good screen, camera and battery, maybe not as good as the s7e, but what i am expecting from the iphone is a device that will last me 2 years or more, with no lags, no slowing down over time, and here in Brazil it will hold his price a lot better than the samsung device. I have friends that still have the iphone 5c and 5s and never factory reseted it, and are working fine with no lags or slowdowns. on my htc, since i am going back and forth from sense and gpe i never use the phone in same firmware for more than 4 months, so every 4 months or every android update i factory reset it to keep it smooth, if i never factory reseted it, i'm pretty sure the device would be laggy right now.

What i don't like about the iphone, the 16gb version, is the same price as 32gb s7e, and i will have to keep an eye on storage, or i can buy the 64gb version, but it will be more money in an already crazy expensive phone. And since both are expensive, they will have to last me 2 or 3 years minimum.

Also i don't like touchwiz very much, i could use it but is not my favourite android skin. and there is the android updates that are always delayed on non nexus phones.

So what do you guys think is the best option, considering the points i made here. Thanks.

I agree with what a lot of these other posters have said. From what you state you need/want, the iPhone fits the bill. The S7 edge is a great phone, but I honestly don't trust a Samsung phone to last 2-3 years. Sure they can, but if you want continued support and a higher probability of it lasting that time period, then go with the iPhone. And I also agree that if it is at all possible, find the extra money and get the 64gb. That will help in it lasting 2-3 years. With 16gb you're going to run the risk of filling it up quickly and constantly deleting things to make sure you have storage.

tsparks1

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Both are great phones no doubt, whichever you decide go with 64gb, you'll soon find that 16gb just won't cut it with todays smart phones. Just my 2 cents.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If your only choices are the ones you mentioned in your opening post then the S7 will probably be your best bet. You're currently using an Android device and so transferring your data over to the S7 should be a breeze, and the fact that it has more storage than the 16 GB iPhone model you referenced.

anon(27512)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site

Outsider looking in, it seems you're more into the Samsung.

I'll give you my opinion though as I own both. I used the s7 edge for a week. After that I popped my sim back into my 6S Plus and haven't looked back.

To be fair, the S7 is a good phone. But I only have a passing interest in android. Like you said the camera on it is great. I'd argue that depending on how you like your photos (saturated colors vs more natural) you may prefer one to the other. I kind of prefer samsungs camera in some ways. The poppy colors are always eye pleasing.

Samsung has also done a lot of work on touchwiz. It's definitely a step up from the s6 in both software and fit and finish (I owned an s6 as well).

But for me the iPhone is tops. I love how fast and smooth the software is, superior build quality, app ecosystem and iOS as a whole. I just love iOS. I love my Apple Watch and all of my other Apple gear and how seamlessly it all works together.

One thing I also noticed is that my iPhone works better in my cars (both Toyota..) than any of my android phones.

I don't think you can really go wrong with either, but I definitely like my iOS devices and sepecifically, my iPhone, much more than my s7. Either way you'll probably be happy and welcome to iMore.

anon(5719825)

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
I have both a S7 Edge and a 6S+. Both phones have the same screen size but the S7 Edge is a smaller phone.

I prefer the 6S+ for music because I've never liked any of the music players that are available on the play store. The S7 Edge is easier to make a call using one hand because the dialer sits a lot lower on the screen. The iOS dialer site up higher on the screen and is centered.

The S7 Edge has been getting monthly updates. Mine is on T-Mobile and I have had two updates so far, one in March and one in April. They usually include fixes and improvements and some features added.

I like that I can change the theme on my Edge when I start getting a little bored with current theme I am using. The themes change lots of things from the look of the dialer, messages and even the calendar and other things.

You can also change the default dialer, messages app, browser, music app and whatever else you may want and you can't do that on iOS.

Also, it's nice to be able to connect my S7 Edge to my MBP and drag and drop my iTunes music to the SD card through Finder. Anything I have bought in iTunes works on my Edge including music videos.

I have a bunch of phones that I am using at home just for fun but the best three phones I am using so far this year are the S7 Edge, Note 5 and my 6S+/6S. I consider the 6S+/6S one phone because they aren't really all that different besides the size.

I do have the 128GB 6S+ due to the fact that I use it as my music player.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to iMore. Lots of good answers here. Both devices are good, but If your looking for a device that's going to last 2-3 years with support than I suggest the iPhone 6s Plus, but try and save a little more for the 64gb version. Good Luck with your choice.

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
Thank you guys for your answers.
I just found a store that is selling a 64gb 6s+ just a little bit cheaper than a s7 edge.
I am almost decided for going to the iphone.
Everytime my m8 crashes some app, or randomly slow down, i say "that's it, i'm going to the iphone"
I will see if iphone is more stable than android, and will decide if i will keep it. If i have the same random slowdowns or crashes, i will probably return to android.
Also i saw some videos with s7 edge, and most of them shows people hands touching the edge display, making the display unresponsive for other touches, that would annoy me a lot.
So i think i will give a shot to the 6s plus.It is very expensive, but the s7 edge is too, also a nexus 6p would be good for me, but the old gen processor and also big price (for some weird economic reason) makes me not want to buy it.
The 6s will not have fast charging, that is one of the best features in my opinion (i will probably buy an ipad charger).
If the iphone is not what i am looking for, i will back for the next nexus, if it is, i will keep it for 3 years or even more.
thanks guys, if any of you have more considerations to make i would be more than happy to read.

Chuck_IV

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
If you use an iPad charging block instead of the included iPhone one, you will see improved charging speeds. It still won't be like the speeds of Samsung's fast charging but it will be faster.

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
Just bought a 6s plus 64gb, got a pretty good discount, that discount would made the s7 edge a lot cheaper too, but i think is better try the iphone now and make my mind about ios.
I hope i like it.
Thanks guys.

May 9, 2016
Visit site
iPhone. Touchwiz is STILL not fixed and will lag after a few days, and good luck after 6 months, you very well may throw your phone into a wall when "unfortunately, xxx has stopped responding."

Damien_Eternal

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Glad to hear you made a choice. Definitely a good thing that you went with the 64GB version over the 16. Ive seen and heard many complains of people not being able to get iOS updates after installing just a few apps, having too many pictures/videos, too much music and/or just too many other files because there isnt enough space left over to download and install the update. I think even in that case it can still be done through iTunes, but wont happen OTA. The 16 is more for people who want to use it as just a phone with minimal web browsing an emails needs. Anything else would really limit the storage on it, thus limiting anything else you could do.

anon(5630457)

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
Nobody should ever purchase a phone with only 16GB of space. Ever. It's unconscionable that it still exists as a purchasing option.

The S7 edge will give you way more bang for your buck anyways. Go with that.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox