Anyone considering Galaxy s7 edge ?

jlczl

Jan 21, 2004
Visit site
Yes I do realize that but even so why is there such a huge divide between the Android community over Samsung? I still hear and read so many negatives about Samsung from Android users and if TW is so great why do so many people say to put or use Nova prime or replace the launcher? LOL.

1. Perception
2. Be together not the same

I use Nova on my S7 Edge but can see why some prefer TouchWiz and I by no means am a fan boy as my daily device usage includes an iPad Pro 12 9 I absolutely love and an iPhone 5s I use at work (which I tolerate).

Chuck_IV

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
All my apps works well and I don't experience lag and im not even on a s7. I'm using an mid level Samsung phone and had it for 4 months and it still works like day 1. And ever since 5.1 android has been smooth as ever.

As I mentioned in another thread, it all depends on Android. I watched my Note 4 go from smooth on 4.x to a stuttering POS on 5.01, back to smooth(but not quite as smooth as 4.x) on 5.1.1.

That's not to say Apple doesn't do wrong, but you only have to wait on Apple to fix it. The problem is when Android releases an update, you then have to wait for not only Samsung to manipulate the update to suit their view of what Android should be(ie. add touch wiz, their own pay system and their own app store), but then you also have to wait for your carrier(in my case it is Verizon) to manipulate it even more to add their own bloatware and junk that, unless you root, cannot remove. This is what frustrated me to no end and why updates were slow.

I've only been on an iPhone for about a month and I have no desire what so ever to go back to Android. But, if the day comes that I do, it will be a Nexus or nothing.

Mellimel22

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
Yes I do realize that but even so why is there such a huge divide between the Android community over Samsung? I still hear and read so many negatives about Samsung from Android users and if TW is so great why do so many people say to put or use Nova prime or replace the launcher? LOL.
There really isn't any divide between Samsung and Android. To plenty of people Samsung is android lol. And Samsung doesn't have the problems it did in the past with low rf frequency slow updates and so forth. And about TouchWiz like I stated it's not that heavy now and the only reason people use launchers is the added capabilities.

anon(5630457)

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
Ugh. I have an S7 edge and the battery life is on par with the 6s Plus I owned (which I traded in for the S7 edge). The battery has a stellar standby mode thanks to Marshmallow's Doze feature.

There is also no lag on the device. TouchWiz has been toned down and the RAM management issues that plagued earlier Samsung devices is no longer present on current Samsung devices.

Don't take the posts about the terrible battery life on the S7/S7 edge seriously. Those posts are either based on fanboyism and/or to the person never actually having owned the device.

KelseyRo4

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
My primary device is the 6s Plus and iPhone has & always will be my primary device BUT...I've been using a Note 5 for about a week as my 2nd device (Marshmallow). I love the S Pen...the ability to handwrite a quick note whether the screen is on or off, the flexibility to do what I want with it, etc is very appealing. Also, certain functions, the ease of dragging photos between two split windows or control over editing/annotating what's on the screen at the time is very useful (and easier than doing it on iOS).

Hands down iOS is still the better overall OS but (IMHO) Apple needs to take a look at certain practical functions/abilities.

Yea, that's the only thing I miss about the note 5. The S pen is awesome

kazp3r17

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
I have the s7 edge currently since switch carries (just counting down the days to September), nothing like tossing your phone in a bucket of water lol. Don't get me wrong the camera is pretty amazing with great features along with he edge functionality.Battery life has been great average between 15 and 21 hours with medium to have use with my current settings. BUT, i find it difficult to hold without a case. Im constantly hitting something on accident from bumping the edges of the screen.

scgf

Jan 16, 2016
Visit site
The hate against Touchwiz is historical, I'm sure of it. TouchWiz on the S7 isn't an issue - I have been a long-term user of Nova, an alternative launcher, but decided to give Samsung's launcher a go. It's fine. Very fast and fluid and it is, after all, just a grid of app icons with the ability to include widgets like your calendar. I see no real difference between it and the iOS home screen, except you don't have to have every app you own on display. I'm sure some see TouchWiz as this monster hiding away which rears its ugly head whenever it feels like it. I have the edge variant and it is the first phone I have owned where I don't have to worry about battery life - it easily lasts the day with plenty to spare.

bdkuhn1

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
I tried the S7 Edge and got it home and it just didn't seem to work right as I couldn't get a signal and I have been doing research and people have been having problems with it due to the antenna on it. There seems to be two different antennas on the device the one on the unlocked version is the best one and the one on the on contract one uses an inferior one and that is what causes the problem. I could not get the phone to lock onto a signal and anytime I made or received a call it would disconnect and I even got tech support from AT&T and they told me to return the phone and I just ended up getting a 6s Plus as I had a 6 Plus!

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
There really isn't any divide between Samsung and Android. To plenty of people Samsung is android lol. And Samsung doesn't have the problems it did in the past with low rf frequency slow updates and so forth. And about TouchWiz like I stated it's not that heavy now and the only reason people use launchers is the added capabilities.

Yeah I know every time I see people on their phones it's either an iPhone or a Samsung device which to me is kind of annoying since there are so many awesome other Android phones out now. But Samsung still has a long ways to go before reversing their bad rap with updates. I'd be shocked if the S7 and S7e even got N this year let alone before the S8 and S8e are announced.

The only exception maybe the Note 6 launching with N that is if Google releases the final build this summer.

Mellimel22

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I know every time I see people on their phones it's either an iPhone or a Samsung device which to me is kind of annoying since there are so many awesome other Android phones out now. But Samsung still has a long ways to go before reversing their bad rap with updates. I'd be shocked if the S7 and S7e even got N this year let alone before the S8 and S8e are announced.

The only exception maybe the Note 6 launching with N that is if Google releases the final build this summer.
Bro the Galaxy series has been getting regular updates since the s4 lol. My old s4 got updated to 5.1 so that's saying something. To a lot of people Samsung already reversed that image. Samsung just got a nack for appealing to the masses just like iPhone does.

Davyo

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I constantly go back and fourth between the Samsungs and iPhones and have owned every model of iPhone, Galaxy and Note ever made.
In just the last year or so I've owned the 6, 6+, Note 5, Galaxy S7, S7 Edge, 6s+ and I'm currently rockin the 6s.
My favorite recent phone was the Note 5.
Now I'm just looking forward to seeing what the Note 6 (or Note 7 as I just read it might be called) and the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus bring to the table.
Yea,, I'm a total phone junkie,,, psychological help is being sought (hehe).
I'm just happy I'm not a fanboy of only ONE brand or OS,, that would prevent me from having so much fun playing with all the different phones.
Cheers
Davyo

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Bro the Galaxy series has been getting regular updates since the s4 lol. My old s4 got updated to 5.1 so that's saying something. To a lot of people Samsung already reversed that image. Samsung just got a nack for appealing to the masses just like iPhone does.

That may be but they still take a very long to get updates out is my point. Marshmallow has been out a year and finally at this point 90% of their flagships are finally updated. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe any of their phones were updated to 6.0 before the end of 2015. That's all I'm saying.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
That may be but they still take a very long to get updates out is my point. Marshmallow has been out a year and finally at this point 90% of their flagships are finally updated. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe any of their phones were updated to 6.0 before the end of 2015. That's all I'm saying.

In all fairness, the S7 and S7 edge are on the May security patch on AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile. I'm hopeful this is a change of pace for Samsung and a sign of things to come with their updates.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
In all fairness, the S7 and S7 edge are on the May security patch on AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile. I'm hopeful this is a change of pace for Samsung and a sign of things to come with their updates.

The security updates are a totally different beast than the major .0 updates. Of course the security updates should be a no brainer. I wouldn't really give Samsung a free pass just yet since they've only begun to turn the dial.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
The security updates are a totally different beast than the major .0 updates. Of course the security updates should be a no brainer. I wouldn't really give Samsung a free pass just yet since they've only begun to turn the dial.

No free pass here. Just hope it's a good sign. I also heard a rumor that Google is going to start shaming companies for their slow update process.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
No free pass here. Just hope it's a good sign. I also heard a rumor that Google is going to start shaming companies for their slow update process.

I hope so and with the foundations of N being laid I know they're trying to make certain aspects of the OS updateable so it makes aspects like this faster.

Mellimel22

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
It's lots of different reasons to be honest. More phone choices to work on with different hardware is one. U are right they was slow as heck with updates in the past. That's the good thing about android though. I never had to wait for an update on my old phones just did it myself.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh