Anyone considering Galaxy s7 edge ?

chrisforpm

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Initially I got caught up in the hype of it as I do with all of the latest and greatest phones. I managed to resist and I am glad I did. I've had other android phones along side my iPhone and I tend to get bored of them pretty quickly. Nothing just works like my iPhone.

neurodave

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I am so tempted to get the S7 Edge. I love how it feels in hand, so much more compact and comfortable than my 6s Plus. But with my Mac, Apple Watch, and iPad all in the mix I just don't know if I can. I'm in too deep at this point, Lol. Not only that but with WWDC around the corner that means iOS 10 beta and I will feel so left out when it comes out. I played with the S7 Edge yesterday and the screen is amazing, the camera is outstanding, but TouchWiz is (as usual) clunky and laggy. I bet rooting and putting on pure Android would make it much more appealing to me but then comes the thought of the iPhone 7 in 4-5 months.

Rmedy21

Jul 10, 2015
Visit site
I had Samsung series for awhile. Samsung is moving in the right direction. But because there is no continuity with Android. I went back to Apple. Plus android phones are always buggy.

Chuck_IV

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
It looks like an amazing phone, but I probably won't go back to an Android phone other than a Nexus device.

I love Samsung phones, but waiting 6 months for the carriers to update to the new OS, or security patches, is just plain unappealing to me.

Nexus is the way to go.

I am strongly considering getting rid of my 6s+ and going back to Android,but I won't decide until the summer.
Agreed. This is what frustrated me. Samsung was slow to update and then Verizon would make it come at a glacial pace because they would have to add their bloatware.

I like my Note 4 but I don't like the direction Samsung is taking. Adding a glass(really?) back and removing the SD slot and replaceable battery was the last straw for me(nevermind Verizon has the Note 4 locked down hard, so no root).

My daughter has been wanting to upgrade from her 5s for her birthday so while I was at it, I upgraded everyone. My wife and daughter got a 16gb 6s and I decided to go with the family and got myself a 64gb 6s Plus. They should be here Thursday.

Figured I'd give the "dark" side a try :). I am going to miss my widgets for sure but hopefully I'll find a lot to like with the iphone.

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
While not the edge, a week ago I grabbed an S7. It's beautiful. It really is. But the battery compared to my 6S Plus is disappointing and Apple Music is a mess...so my sim is back in my iPhone and the S7 is on kijiji or I'll hold onto it as a spare.

jlczl

Jan 21, 2004
Visit site
While not the edge, a week ago I grabbed an S7. It's beautiful. It really is. But the battery compared to my 6S Plus is disappointing and Apple Music is a mess...so my sim is back in my iPhone and the S7 is on kijiji or I'll hold onto it as a spare.
Well, to be fair the 7 doesn't really compare to the 6s plus, it actually compares more to the regular 6s while the s7 edge would be the one most comparable with the 6s plus considering screen and battery sizes.

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Well, to be fair the 7 doesn't really compare to the 6s plus, it actually compares more to the regular 6s while the s7 edge would be the one most comparable with the 6s plus considering screen and battery sizes.

Oh I know - but the flip side of that is that it's a smaller screen so why after a week of settling and doing some in depth battery saving tweaks am I still having to charge it by 3pm? I certainly didn't have that problem with a 6S nor with a 6S Plus with no tweaks and connected to an Apple Watch 24/7.

jlczl

Jan 21, 2004
Visit site
Oh I know - but the flip side of that is that it's a smaller screen so why after a week of settling and doing some in depth battery saving tweaks am I still having to charge it by 3pm? I certainly didn't have that problem with a 6S nor with a 6S Plus with no tweaks and connected to an Apple Watch 24/7.
I don't know. I don't own an S7. Just stating the comparison was a little off.

As far as the 6s, I did have one of those and my battery was nowhere near stellar. I handed it down to my daughter and she has to be tethered to a wall. I noticed the 6s was great as far as standby battery but not so great when in use whereas the Galaxy phones tend to not be great in standby but do well with screen on time (my current daily driver is an S7e and I get 6-8 hours SoT).

My son switched from a 6s plus to the S7e and loves the battery life he enjoys. He was quite content with the 6s plus battery life too.

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Well I put my sim back in my iPhone today and got 7 hours usage with 23 hours off charge and was at 20% - my sim is staying in my iPhone and a friend is now the owner of the S7. I have no power saving on my iPhone and I can't deal with going back to worrying about battery anymore.

Too bad, it was a beautiful phone.

redbirdsfan

Dec 20, 2015
Visit site
A buddy of mine let me borrow his s7 edge (i ordered the se). Needless to say I cancelled my iPhone order and purchased the galaxy edge. Been playing around with very it and I can honestly say that it's a great device. I stated that I was going to pass on the s7 (earlier in this thread). I'm actually looking forward to what the note and iPhone 7 bring.

Mellimel22

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
The Nexus 6P is an amazing device but I've purchased three in the last 3 months and I still can't seem to use the phone for more than a day before I start missing my iPhone and what makes it worse is I have a SpaceBlack Stainless Steel Watch which I don't want to give up and there's no Android Wear watch IMHO that even comes close in design or functionality, they don't even have Android Pay, LOL.

I currently have a Frost 6P sitting in its box under my bed and Marshmallow is amazing along with the 6P hardware it's a knockout. For some reason I still can't switch I think it's because I've been back on iOS for too long and I'm spoiled by the timely updates and awesome Store service when it's needed.

But in answer to the OP's question I would never buy a Samsung phone again after owning the Galaxy Nexus and their horrible update schedule also keeps me away. I don't want to have to wait 10 months to get the update when Google is about to announce the next update to Android. 95% of Samsung flagships are still waiting for an update and we're two months away from Google I/O. That's ridiculous.

Sorry for the long post LOL.
Samsung isn't the same since the Galaxy nexus days. That's just like me saying ios9 is just like ios7. Samsung skinned down TouchWiz a lot and majority of their high end and mid range phones receive updates.

Mellimel22

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
In a sense, this may be true however there is a price to pay for those bells and whistles. Battery life, smoothness of the OS, apps that don't work and play well together, and so on. Like I said, there was a time when that was what I wanted so I put up with the little quirks and annoyances that came with it. I'm past that now and just want something that works exactly as it was designed too and so far the iPhone is the closest to that. It's all about personal preference and what's most important to you. I also think as you get older, you just tend to gravitate toward things just working.
All my apps works well and I don't experience lag and im not even on a s7. I'm using an mid level Samsung phone and had it for 4 months and it still works like day 1. And ever since 5.1 android has been smooth as ever.

TechnologyTwitt

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Lol that's what happened to me too. Had a Note 5 for 4 months and went back to iPhone this month

My primary device is the 6s Plus and iPhone has & always will be my primary device BUT...I've been using a Note 5 for about a week as my 2nd device (Marshmallow). I love the S Pen...the ability to handwrite a quick note whether the screen is on or off, the flexibility to do what I want with it, etc is very appealing. Also, certain functions, the ease of dragging photos between two split windows or control over editing/annotating what's on the screen at the time is very useful (and easier than doing it on iOS).

Hands down iOS is still the better overall OS but (IMHO) Apple needs to take a look at certain practical functions/abilities.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Samsung isn't the same since the Galaxy nexus days. That's just like me saying ios9 is just like ios7. Samsung skinned down TouchWiz a lot and majority of their high end and mid range phones receive updates.

Yes I do realize that but even so why is there such a huge divide between the Android community over Samsung? I still hear and read so many negatives about Samsung from Android users and if TW is so great why do so many people say to put or use Nova prime or replace the launcher? LOL.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh