Has anyone had an issue in which TouchID is not accepting your fingerprint?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
After having this issue where Touch ID fails to work first thing in the morning, I did some testing. This seems to occur when I have checked the lock screen a few times. On the test, for the message to say I have to enter my passcode, I have to make 5 attempts with a non fingerprint finger. But I just don't recall making that many attempts. More testing is needed.
I also want to test by checking my lockscreen using the power button, rather than a non fingerprint finger.

mustang8918

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Ledsteplin, you seem to be correct in your assessment. I check my phone pretty often by pushing the home button (not fingerprinted finger), to check the time and after five times it asked for a lock code. I tried this test using the power button about ten times and it didn't ask for a code, so that could have been my problem all along. I guess I'll start checking the time with the power button.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Ledsteplin, you seem to be correct in your assessment. I check my phone pretty often by pushing the home button (not fingerprinted finger), to check the time and after five times it asked for a lock code. I tried this test using the power button about ten times and it didn't ask for a code, so that could have been my problem all along. I guess I'll start checking the time with the power button.

Thanks for testing the power button. Now I don't need to! I thought that might work.

bwigginit

Feb 24, 2016
Visit site
I've had the same issue with my 6s+ since day 1. The fingerprint would only work about 50% of the time. Then this weekend my phone slipped out of my hand...fell about 4 feet to the ground...and the screen shattered. After I wiped away the tears I went to the apple store and they replaced the screen there in the store in about an hour. I mentioned my issue with the fingerprint scanner while I was there and the rep said that this should be resolved because replacing the screen includes replacing the screen that goes across the fingerprint scanner. When I got my phone back from repair the fingerprint scanner began magically working 100% of the time.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I've had the same issue with my 6s+ since day 1. The fingerprint would only work about 50% of the time. Then this weekend my phone slipped out of my hand...fell about 4 feet to the ground...and the screen shattered. After I wiped away the tears I went to the apple store and they replaced the screen there in the store in about an hour. I mentioned my issue with the fingerprint scanner while I was there and the rep said that this should be resolved because replacing the screen includes replacing the screen that goes across the fingerprint scanner. When I got my phone back from repair the fingerprint scanner began magically working 100% of the time.

Did you have to scan your fingers again when you got it back? I'm wondering because I know mine has been intermittent depending on how I register the fingerprints to begin with.

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Today there has been a few times when I've gone to unlock the phone and it asks me for the unlock code and not taking my fingerprint. After I unlock with the code I can then use the fingerprint, like you have to do after turning the phone completely off but the thing is I haven't turned my phone off at all today. Has anyone else had this problem and do you think I need to do a factory reset? I've only had the phone ten days and haven't had any problems until today.

I've had the same issue with this. Nothing wrong with the speed of the touch ID. Super fast when it works. But no real rhyme or reason behind it asking for the code. Have to pay attention and see if it is actually the amount of times checking lock screen.

Gazoobee

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Unlock acting up

This (fingerprint suddenly stops working for no apparent reason), was an issue for me in 9.1 but not since the 9.2 update.

Since then it works as advertised, but be aware that "as advertised" actually means that it only works about 80% of the time. One of the drawbacks to how accurate it is, is that the fingerprint sensor will only accept "perfect" input. That means dry, clean fingers in a perfectly balanced (humidity wise) environment.

Even the teeny-tiniest amount of sweat on the button or on your finger will cause it to fail completely.

So, since fingers are generally covered with sweat and since most environs tend to the warm side, it only works "most of the time." You should expect to have to clean the button off about five or six times a day. A lot of people carry a special cloth for the purpose, or you can use your sleeve.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73