How many of you care about your battery seriously?

nagatofm

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Basically I don't care about battery life as long as it lasts through the day. I just plug it on every night.
In my opinion, that's just the same thing as worries about SSD lifespan: in our fast changing world you'll replace your device by the time you'll notice some battery life degradation or SSD's cells wear or whatever.

Zach Nathan

Jul 7, 2015
Visit site
Fortunately, that's not how modern batteries work. They charge in cycles, so if your battery is on 70%, when you charge it fully, that uses 30% of a cycle. Once your battery depletes to 30%, you've used 70% of that particular cycle. So really your extra measures aren't doing anything beneficial, particularly with the advent of smart battery technology.

But I'm definitely a big proponent for keeping up on battery health, attempting to keep the device plugged in when possible so it runs off corded power, as well as constantly monitoring the general temperature and state of function for the cells. So yeah, I definitely care.

Last edited:

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
With non-replaceable batteries, how many of you consider the longevity of your battery seriously?

For example. These batteries have a very limited lifespan, where after 180-200 charges, the battery starts degrading. So lets say if someone unnecessarily charge for 1 sec, that will count as one count.

I always have to take extra measure like...
1) I do not put it on charging until the battery percentage is less than 10%.
2) When I put it on charging I make sure that it is 100% charged, before taking it out.
3) I never follow that casual policy where people put it on charging, if receive call they take it out and then put it again.

How many of you, follow this strict battery practice, and is it really helpful in long life of the battery? Please share your openion

I go even further. No apps are allowed to background update, ever. No apps have access to my location except Find my iPhone, literally ever.

And every phone I've had thus far has benefitted from the way I operate. I charge every third day because i don't need to until then.

erikbock

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I have never had a real problem with my batter on any iPhone and I am a pretty heavy user other than an iOS update on the iPhone 4 that was a begin iOS.

Even on an iPhone 6s with a smaller battery than on the iPhone 6 I have no problem. I have had the battery go to 0% late in the evening but rarely.

GoingDark

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I used to worry about this, but with modern Lithium-Ion batteries I've noticed it doesn't really make a difference. Now I follow an "opportunistic charging" philosophy, where I juice up a little at a time whenever I can - in the car, for example.

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
If the battery lasts the day that's great. I'm a new iPhone owner 5s coming from a BlackBerry Classic. The BB lasted the full day with heavy use, email and social media and I'm not holding my breath with the iPhone.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I go even further. No apps are allowed to background update, ever. No apps have access to my location except Find my iPhone, literally ever.

And every phone I've had thus far has benefitted from the way I operate. I charge every third day because i don't need to until then.

You can't stop apps from running in the background. It's neccessary that they do so. Most don't stay there long. But a few apps do. Like Facebook, TapaTalk, and the stock Mail app.
You don't use any weather apps?

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
You can't stop apps from running in the background. It's neccessary that they do so. Most don't stay there long. But a few apps do. Like Facebook, TapaTalk, and the stock Mail app.
You don't use any weather apps?

NEVER. I don't use the FB app, I use Safari. I have background app updating off, and I kill every app when I am finished with it. I leave things off that I don't need on.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
NEVER. I don't use the FB app, I use Safari. I have background app updating off, and I kill every app when I am finished with it. I leave things off that I don't need on.

Apps need to run in the background. They work better that way. Most only do so a short time. A few seconds. Just because they sit in multitasking doesn't mean they are running. All Background App Refresh does is help the apps to do what they do more efficiently, thereby saving battery. There's probably only 2 or 3 apps you have that cause problems. You can see which ones run too much in Settings >Battery. Sitting in multitasking does not equal running.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Apps need to run in the background. They work better that way. Most only do so a short time. A few seconds. Just because they sit in multitasking doesn't mean they are running. All Background App Refresh does is help the apps to do what they do more efficiently, thereby saving battery. There's probably only 2 or 3 apps you have that cause problems. You can see which ones run too much in Settings >Battery. Sitting in multitasking does not equal running.

I have a question. I know Android and iOS aren't the same, which is why I'm curious if iOS works similarly;

With Android there is a difference between a running app and a cached app. Killing a cached app only causes it to refresh itself, which does use resources. Android is hard coded to kill a task when more memory is needed, when you haven't returned to it for a long time, or when it's done doing what ever it needs to do. So again, killing it only causes it to run again until what ever was using it is done using it. The only true way to prevent something from running is to just remove it from the phone. On the Android OS cached apps don't use any CPU or battery. (I'm getting this from an Android forum.. it was written by an app developer.)

Does iOS work similarly?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I have a question. I know Android and iOS aren't the same, which is why I'm curious if iOS works similarly;

With Android there is a difference between a running app and a cached app. Killing a cached app only causes it to refresh itself, which does use resources. Android is hard coded to kill a task when more memory is needed, when you haven't returned to it for a long time, or when it's done doing what ever it needs to do. So again, killing it only causes it to run again until what ever was using it is done using it. The only true way to prevent something from running is to just remove it from the phone. On the Android OS cached apps don't use any CPU or battery. (I'm getting this from an Android forum.. it was written by an app developer.)

Does iOS work similarly?

Killing an app stops it. It does nothing until you launch it again. And that uses resources. But it eventually does it's thing. Most apps only run in the background a short time. They need to. Those don't need to be killed just because they sit in multitasking. But there's a few like Facebook, TapaTalk and others that run for 1 or more hours per day. I never kill my apps for no reason. If they misbehave I do.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Killing an app stops it. It does nothing until you launch it again. And that uses resources. But it eventually does it's thing. Most apps only run in the background a short time. They need to. Those don't need to be killed just because they sit in multitasking. But there's a few like Facebook, TapaTalk and others that run for 1 or more hours per day. I never kill my apps for no reason. If they misbehave I do.

I understand, I think. Thanks! :)

Mar 22, 2012
Visit site
I let my phone talk in the background as much as it needs to and I let it notify me whenever it wants, except between 10pm and 7am.

I charge my phone about every three days because I don't need to until then, and my phone is a hell of a lot more useful as a result.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

Imagine how long the battery would last if you shut it down after you used it each time. ;)

Your methods seem excessive, but if they work for you, who am I to say? :) I've always chuckled at the posts (whether in the news/blog section of this site or others, as well as in forums) that suggest turning all this stuff off to save battery. Certainly an option, but some of it is actually useful!

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Your methods seem excessive, but if they work for you, who am I to say? :) I've always chuckled at the posts (whether in the news/blog section of this site or others, as well as in forums) that suggest turning all this stuff off to save battery. Certainly an option, but some of it is actually useful!

I don't understand completely turning off location services. Per app sure, but completely no. Doesn't that make the Find My Phone feature useless? My fiance' and I use Life 360 so it's pointless to disable location services. If something happened to one of us we could find the other via the history in Life 360. Maybe it's just my age, but I want someone knowing where I am.

Honestly though, if someone even looked at my phone the wrong way or tried to run off with it, I'd be Dolly Parton in 9 to 5 chasing the theif (Dabney Coleman). Always did think that scene was hilarious.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods