How many of you care about your battery seriously?

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Any device that uses a Lithium Ion or Lithium Polymer battery must incorporate a charging circuit that cuts off charging power when the battery reaches 100%.

I learned something from all of this.. the name of the item that does this is called a charger ic chip. It's designed to automatically reduce to a trickle when charging is complete. This little chip is smart and does a few things more, too.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to learn something more.... you made me dig a little deeper. :)

Chief G-Hawk

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
With non-replaceable batteries, how many of you consider the longevity of your battery seriously?

For example. These batteries have a very limited lifespan, where after 180-200 charges, the battery starts degrading. So lets say if someone unnecessarily charge for 1 sec, that will count as one count.

I always have to take extra measure like...
1) I do not put it on charging until the battery percentage is less than 10%.
2) When I put it on charging I make sure that it is 100% charged, before taking it out.
3) I never follow that casual policy where people put it on charging, if receive call they take it out and then put it again.

How many of you, follow this strict battery practice, and is it really helpful in long life of the battery? Please share your openion

"So lets say if someone unnecessarily charge for 1 sec, that will count as one count" - No, just no. It will not count as 1 cycle. If you went from 100% to 75% and then plugged it to fully charge it from there. That's just 25% of 1 cycle count. If then you went from 100% to 60% and then charged it to full then that's 40% and you already used 65% of 1 cycle count. Hope this make sense.

1. It is never a good idea to use it till you reach 10% every single time. That just adds 1 cycle count every charge.
This just puts more stress into your batteries and I do not recommend doing this. If you think your battery meter is not accurate then it's okay to drain below 10% but should only be done once every 2-3 month.
2a. I usually unplug mine when fully charged since I never plug my phone to a wall I use the Anker Astro E7 series to charge my phone and usually when it's done charging the indicator on the battery pack turns off indicating that's no longer charging then I simply just un plug it.
2b. You can still use the phone while it's charging. Just note that it may take a little longer to fully charge.
3.It doesn't matter really. It's not like the old Ni-CD batteries where it suffers a memory effect.. Lithium batteries don't have the memory effect so doesn't really matter if you unplug it and use it and plug it again. That's what it's meant for.

Me personally? I don't follow this strict battery practice and I simply just use my phone and charge it whenever I need do. Most people end up upgrading or buying a new phone every 1 year to 2 year so really it doesn't really matter. Plus it comes with a standard 1 year warranty and if the battery seems bad before the 1 year is over, you can always take it to the apple store and have the genius test it and if it's bad they can replace it for free before it's over.

Just my 2 cents here.

Swift2001

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
The iPhone 5 battery was a little skimpy. I had to buy a new battery in the second year. My 6 is now well into the second year, and on the average day, it's only reaching 50% most days by 7:00 or so. If I don't use it much because I'm really busy, I've seen it at 65% at 8:00 PM. So the battery is thriving. Since AT&T is ending the Unlimited 2-year plan, Hello iPhone 6s+ in May!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
"So lets say if someone unnecessarily charge for 1 sec, that will count as one count" - No, just no. It will not count as 1 cycle. If you went from 100% to 75% and then plugged it to fully charge it from there. That's just 25% of 1 cycle count. If then you went from 100% to 60% and then charged it to full then that's 40% and you already used 65% of 1 cycle count. Hope this make sense.

1. It is never a good idea to use it till you reach 10% every single time. That just adds 1 cycle count every charge.
This just puts more stress into your batteries and I do not recommend doing this. If you think your battery meter is not accurate then it's okay to drain below 10% but should only be done once every 2-3 month.
2a. I usually unplug mine when fully charged since I never plug my phone to a wall I use the Anker Astro E7 series to charge my phone and usually when it's done charging the indicator on the battery pack turns off indicating that's no longer charging then I simply just un plug it.
2b. You can still use the phone while it's charging. Just note that it may take a little longer to fully charge.
3.It doesn't matter really. It's not like the old Ni-CD batteries where it suffers a memory effect.. Lithium batteries don't have the memory effect so doesn't really matter if you unplug it and use it and plug it again. That's what it's meant for.

Me personally? I don't follow this strict battery practice and I simply just use my phone and charge it whenever I need do. Most people end up upgrading or buying a new phone every 1 year to 2 year so really it doesn't really matter. Plus it comes with a standard 1 year warranty and if the battery seems bad before the 1 year is over, you can always take it to the apple store and have the genius test it and if it's bad they can replace it for free before it's over.

Just my 2 cents here.

No. If you run it down 1%, then you have used 1/100 th of a charge cycle. If you run it down to 10%, then you have used 9/10 of a charge cycle.

mayconvert

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I never keep a phone for longer than a year, but the battery costs $79 at any apple store if I somehow decided I needed to keep the device for 3+ years...
Worrying about battery is a waste of time. just throw the thing on the charger when you need some juice and go about your day. I have a 6S+ I can go 2 days if I want, but that takes it below 20% I usually get home with 60%. Charging, sometimes I get to 100%, sometimes I get to 80%.

Sometimes I just throw it on the charger for the 20 minutes I am getting ready in the morning. Couldn't care less about a $79 battery and trying to squeeze 3+ years out of it. The battery will last until the contract or carrier financing is done, and then apple will buy it back to go towards the new phone.

ipooed

Dec 5, 2015
Visit site
I care, one reason I sold my 6s and upgraded to the 6s plus. I have everything turned off and I mean everything from 3D Touch and Apple Music to location and Siri. And am lucky to get 8 hours before I reach 20%

I got at least 10hrs+ on my 6 plus. I don't want a big honker of a phone like the 6s+ but if I didn't I would go crazy plugging in all the time.

I try not to let it bother me but I seem to worry about it more than I should

Derrick4Real

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
i don't think about it unless it get's does that thing where it jumps from like 15% to 1% then dead in one minute. I normally do the recalibration thing then and drain it fully then charge it fully.

But my battery life is decent and i don't worry much and i surely don't think about it as much as you.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I care, one reason I sold my 6s and upgraded to the 6s plus. I have everything turned off and I mean everything from 3D Touch and Apple Music to location and Siri. And am lucky to get 8 hours before I reach 20%

I got at least 10hrs+ on my 6 plus. I don't want a big honker of a phone like the 6s+ but if I didn't I would go crazy plugging in all the time.

I try not to let it bother me but I seem to worry about it more than I should

What is "everything"? Some things don't use much battery. Bluetooth doesn't. What uses battery most? Brightness, GPS usage for long periods, a few apps that run in the background too much. Like Facebook and TapaTalk. So does the stock Mail app. Those are the biggies. I keep my brightness at about 30% and don't worry much about the rest.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I learned something from all of this.. the name of the item that does this is called a charger ic chip. It's designed to automatically reduce to a trickle when charging is complete. This little chip is smart and does a few things more, too.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to learn something more.... you made me dig a little deeper. :)

Yep. That chip reduces charging power when the battery reaches 80% and then further reduces it when it's nearly full.

That's why you see your phone charging really quickly before 80%, and then becoming slower to reach 100% after 80%.

Honestly, don't fret too much about leaving your phone on a charger overnight. It won't overcharge since modern electronics are much better at safeguarding the battery than earlier counterparts.

mayconvert

May 7, 2013
Visit site
wow. I don't see how you guys do that 30% brightness. I run mine at 100% brightness, without autobright no matter what phone I own.
I would get an Apple battery case before I would run the screen below 100%

I just turned mine down to 30-40% and cringed at how dim and horrible it looked. back at 100%

Adawg1203

May 9, 2011
Visit site
No. If you run it down 1%, then you have used 1/100 th of a charge cycle. If you run it down to 10%, then you have used 9/10 of a charge cycle.

Aren't you saying the same thing you said no to? Which the example used that you said no to was in fact, correct. The difference being you are looking at it from a battery discharge perspective.

NoviMajster

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
LOL. Its really interesting to read all your replies to my post.

But tell me something: if like all you say, virtually nothing has an influence on battery health, how come that so many ppl have battery problems after 2 years or why battery health is soooo different for many users after such a period of time??

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Aren't you saying the same thing you said no to? Which the example used that you said no to was in fact, correct. The difference being you are looking at it from a battery discharge perspective.

Sorry, that "no" was an agreement to their "no". LOL Guess it didn't sound like it.

ipooed

Dec 5, 2015
Visit site
What is "everything"? Some things don't use much battery. Bluetooth doesn't. What uses battery most? Brightness, GPS usage for long periods, a few apps that run in the background too much. Like Facebook and TapaTalk. So does the stock Mail app. Those are the biggies. I keep my brightness at about 30% and don't worry much about the rest.

Apple Music, 3D Touch, Siri, location, background app refresh, Bluetooth, handoff, reduce transparency, fitness tracking, iCloud (completely logged out) stock mail app (do not use) gamecenter, LTE off... Facebook only shows 3 min background activity since last week, brightness set to about 35% (auto brightness off)

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Apple Music, 3D Touch, Siri, location, background app refresh, Bluetooth, handoff, reduce transparency, fitness tracking, iCloud (completely logged out) stock mail app (do not use) gamecenter, LTE off... Facebook only shows 3 min background activity since last week, brightness set to about 35% (auto brightness off)

You don't need to turn all that off. Just use good judgment. You're overdoing it. You're obsessing with the battery way too much. Battery use is normal. There's absolutely no need to turn all that off. Your battery and phone will do fine with that stuff on. Just tweak it here and there. If you can't enjoy your iPhone, you may as well get a flip phone.

Howard Brazee

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
No matter how good a battery is, we will have to have a routine that keeps it from getting low when we don't want it low. Your routine works well - charge it when we sleep. If the battery lasts for a week, remembering to recharge it every Sunday is more difficult to do than charging it every night. A recharging stand next to the bed works well.

Actually, I prefer connecting it to my Mac, so that software updates work. But the USB plug on my Mac is not powerful enough to recharge my 2nd generation iPad. (How bad is that?) My iPhone 6S plus recharges there.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
LOL. Its really interesting to read all your replies to my post.

But tell me something: if like all you say, virtually nothing has an influence on battery health, how come that so many ppl have battery problems after 2 years or why battery health is soooo different for many users after such a period of time??

Each person uses his or her iPhone differently, that's why. Furthermore, soooo many of us do not have battery problems after 2 years. A good deal of people install numerous apps and games on their device and NEVER go through the settings to see what permissions are set by default. Various games have access to cellular data, background app refresh and notifications, and they really don't need access to any of those things, in my opinion. Yet, those thing can contribute to battery life. In addition, many people are on their devices longer than they realize, especially those who frequently use social apps like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter. Heck, my kids are on YouTube and Vine all day everyday watching videos and are always charging their devices. Finally, a weak or intermittent cellular signal can deplete one's battery quickly.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro