How many of you care about your battery seriously?

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
I don't worry about this either. I've stopped trying to set stuff in Settings to save battery. It's silly.
I care, but I don't. The device is meant to be used. I'm not gonna turn 99.9% of things off to get thru a day.
These 2 quotes pretty much sums it up ... I use my device for everything, all day long. At night when it gets plugged in I typically have 30-40% left in the tank = that's my usage habits. Everybody's usage habits differ, that's why car chargers, back-up batteries, and battery cases exist. Point is I have better things to worry about than cellphone battery life, and you should too ...

Fit24

Trusted Member
Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
I care about my battery life but I don't worry about it. I charge my phone every night and occasionally during the day if needed (I work in a low signal strength area).

Miska Hietala

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Couldn't care less. It lasts as long as it lasts and I'm fine with it.
Not too many years ago it was normal for not to be available 100% of your time.

tjolley11

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
I worry about my battery life when I am travelling overseas, as if I am out and about, I am not sure when I will be able to get to an electrical outlet, nor how long the battery will last trying to get connections on foreign networks.

I also worry about it when I travel on weekends, as I may not be around outlets for over a day at a time.

I'd love to have a battery that could last 2-3 days with heavy use. I'd live with a couple of mm thickness increase to achieve it.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I worry about my battery life when I am travelling overseas, as if I am out and about, I am not sure when I will be able to get to an electrical outlet, nor how long the battery will last trying to get connections on foreign networks.

I also worry about it when I travel on weekends, as I may not be around outlets for over a day at a time.

I'd love to have a battery that could last 2-3 days with heavy use. I'd live with a couple of mm thickness increase to achieve it.

Portable charger is your best bet. Love mine -- I won't travel without it!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Charge my iPhone 6 every night,for over a year (well over 200 charges) and it still holds a charge the full day and plus some. Have not seen a need yet to worry about it.

'Nuf said...:)...I've done that with every iPhone I've had, with the exception of the iPhone 3G, and I've always maintained excellent battery life. Having said that, yes, I take my battery life seriously, but I do not worry about having to charging my battery throughout the day because I don't. I took my iPhone 6S Plus off the charge at around 8:30 this morning. It is now 3:26 PM and I'm at 86%. I doubt I'll be below 50% when I go to bed later tonight, but still, I'll let it charge overnight like I do EVERY night and be prepared for a full day's use from that single charge tomorrow...:)

Last edited:

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Charge my iPhone 6 every night,for over a year (well over 200 charges) and it still holds a charge the full day and plus some. Have not seen a need yet to worry about it.

Well stated taz323. I charge my phone every night and have with every iPhone I have ever owned. We have had 4 iPhone's in this household since they were introduced and we all leave them to charge every day. Never have we had a battery issue including an iPhone 5 that Apple recalled for a battery replacement, which we never had done because it was never an issue. Every phone of ours has work flawless and has always held an acceptable charge even a few years later. We still have that iPhone 5, since new in 2012 and it still has good battery life.

Time to quit worrying about your battery OP and just enjoy your phone.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I don't worry about it much, although it's nice that my 6S battery outlasts my previous Android devices... by leaps and bounds.

99% of the time my phone is plugged in, either at my desk when not in use or on my bedside table. This doesn't harm the battery or the device, since it stops charging once it reaches 100%. If my phone gets warm then it's due to something running causing it to overheat (most times, but not always, this is the CPU getting hot and not the battery). Lithium-ion batteries, as I understand it, for safety are supposed to stop charging (or is it shut down?) once it reaches a certain temperature.

I received a Jackery for Christmas, so I'd carry that with me if I'm going to be out of the house for an extended period of time.

With non-replaceable batteries

They're replaceable... for a fee. If the battery has issues before the 1 year warranty is up then they'll replace it for free. After that you can take it into an Apple store and they'll replace it for you in the store. The fee I think is 70 something dollars or there abouts.

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Mine won't make it 2 years with a full days charge. I'm retired and am on the phone most of the day. My old 5 made it 25 months before the battery got to bad to use. I still use it a little, but the battery discharges quickly.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Omg I used to drive myself crazy when I had my first iPhone, the 4S about turning up things off to "preserve" my battery.....eeeeeehhhh! I waaaay over that now after having a 5c, 5S and currently my rosegold 6S+. I leave whatever I need now turned on and charge every night regardless of how much I have left over. Thursday night turning in for the night I still had 76% left(it was a lite day)...I plugged in anyway so I had 100% ready to go in the a.m.

I plug in every night regardless....and I have AC+ so if I start to have battery issues I go to an Apple Store and take care of it

Hinestly, I'm really SO OVER how much battery I use/don't use.

anon(7901790)

Dec 24, 2015
Visit site
I'm not all that worried either. It takes about 500 recharge cycles to degrade a modern lithium ion battery by 20%. That comes out to approximately 2 to 2 1/2 years before the average user sees a significant degradation. Most of us don't keep our phones that long.

NoviMajster

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
You can post so many articles as you want, i speak from personal expirience:
When i get a new phone; first few cycles i use it till it drains to zero and shuts off. Then to 1% and charge it to 100%.
I NEVER let it pluged in for a long period of time when it s allready full. That is the most important thing to remember; your iphone fills up to 100% in about three hours. U should never let it plugged in for another 3-5 hours when its allready full. That destroys the battery.
I have a lumia 1520 that s in its third year and it still lasts 48 hours, no problem whatsoever. Now i have a iphone 6s plus and i get excellent battery usage.

Ariel Babalao

May 8, 2014
Visit site
When i get a new phone; first few cycles i use it till it drains to zero and shuts off. Then to 1% and charge it to 100%.
I NEVER let it pluged in for a long period of time when it s allready full. That is the most important thing to remember; your iphone fills up to 100% in about three hours. U should never let it plugged in for another 3-5 hours when its allready full. That destroys the battery.
I have a lumia 1520 that s in its third year and it still lasts 48 hours, no problem whatsoever. Now i have a iphone 6s plus and i get excellent battery usage.

Wrong about not letting it on charge more than 5h after it reach 100%.
But let it be if that help you to ease your mind about battery heath.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
... U should never let it plugged in for another 3-5 hours when its allready full. That destroys the battery.

I've charged my iPhones overnight (longer than 5 hours) for years, and doing so has yet to destroy the battery.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

When a battery reaches 100%, it will continue to charge a bit. 100% does not equal full. That's the % indicator showing that. It's not that precise. It's kind of like the gas gauge on your car. When it reaches the F, it'll hold some more. And, no, it doesn't hurt to leave it on the charger several hours after it's full.

graigsmith

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
No what you are doing is harming the battery life. Those rules you are using are for older battery types. You should always top off. And charge whenever you can for best battery health.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
No what you are doing is harming the battery life. Those rules you are using are for older battery types. You should always top off. And charge whenever you can for best battery health.

Please use the quote option when replying so that readers will know to whom you're replying. Thanks.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site

With all due respect, you're wrong. The phone itself stops the current once it reaches 100%, and continues to work just as ledsteplin stated to maintain 100% till unplugged. This is a safety measure to prevent the battery from overheating due to a constant current. There are heat sensors in those batteries, otherwise battery apps would have no way to see those temperature readings.

Using Google Scholar I could find no up to date scientific research to state otherwise.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Charging your iPhone overnight will not harm your battery in the slightest.
You simply can't overcharge an iPhone, or any other modern electronic device, for that matter. Any device that uses a Lithium Ion or Lithium Polymer battery must incorporate a charging circuit that cuts off charging power when the battery reaches 100%.
In other words, when your iPhone is plugged in and reaches 100%, it switches to external power and simply runs from that.
Similarly, charging your battery before it's fully depleted will also not harm your battery at all, and is actually the preferable way of charging your battery. While Lithium Ion batteries are rated for a limited number of "charge cycles' (about 500 in the case of the iPhone), the term "charge cycle" refers to complete recharges, and partial recharges simply use up partial charge cycles. In other words, every time you charge your iPhone up from 90%, you're using 1/10th, or 10%, of a complete charge cycle. This means you could charge your iPhone up from 90%-100% 5,000 times before you'd have to worry about running out of charge cycles.
However, if you deliberately drain your battery to zero and then recharge it, instead of simply plugging it in when it needs to be charged, you're needlessly using up a complete charge cycle. Obviously if you're using your iPhone until the battery goes dead, that's fair, but there's no need to deliberately drain it before recharging it, and you'll actually shorten your battery life if you do so.

The bottom line is that most people worry about their batteries way more than they need to, largely because of very real issues with older Nickel-Cadmium (NiCad) batteries that no longer apply with Lithium-Ion batteries yet remain persistent myths that refuse to die. For the vast majority of iPhone users, you're safe to plug your iPhone in when you need to, leave it plugged in as necessary, and use it normally. You're not hurting your battery by doing so unless you're a seriously atypical user.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77