Basically I don't care about battery life as long as it lasts through the day. I just plug it on every night.
    In my opinion, that's just the same thing as worries about SSD lifespan: in our fast changing world you'll replace your device by the time you'll notice some battery life degradation or SSD's cells wear or whatever.
    mumfoau and BreakingKayfabe like this.
    01-27-2016 08:46 AM
    Fortunately, that's not how modern batteries work. They charge in cycles, so if your battery is on 70%, when you charge it fully, that uses 30% of a cycle. Once your battery depletes to 30%, you've used 70% of that particular cycle. So really your extra measures aren't doing anything beneficial, particularly with the advent of smart battery technology.

But I'm definitely a big proponent for keeping up on battery health, attempting to keep the device plugged in when possible so it runs off corded power, as well as constantly monitoring the general temperature and state of function for the cells. So yeah, I definitely care.
    Last edited by Zach Nathan; 01-27-2016 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Forgot to add what I think of batteries...
    maverick786us likes this.
    01-27-2016 10:18 AM
    With non-replaceable batteries, how many of you consider the longevity of your battery seriously?

For example. These batteries have a very limited lifespan, where after 180-200 charges, the battery starts degrading. So lets say if someone unnecessarily charge for 1 sec, that will count as one count.

I always have to take extra measure like...
    1) I do not put it on charging until the battery percentage is less than 10%.
    2) When I put it on charging I make sure that it is 100% charged, before taking it out.
    3) I never follow that casual policy where people put it on charging, if receive call they take it out and then put it again.

How many of you, follow this strict battery practice, and is it really helpful in long life of the battery? Please share your openion
    I go even further. No apps are allowed to background update, ever. No apps have access to my location except Find my iPhone, literally ever.

And every phone I've had thus far has benefitted from the way I operate. I charge every third day because i don't need to until then.
    01-27-2016 11:51 AM
    I have never had a real problem with my batter on any iPhone and I am a pretty heavy user other than an iOS update on the iPhone 4 that was a begin iOS.

Even on an iPhone 6s with a smaller battery than on the iPhone 6 I have no problem. I have had the battery go to 0% late in the evening but rarely.
    01-27-2016 03:31 PM
    I used to worry about this, but with modern Lithium-Ion batteries I've noticed it doesn't really make a difference. Now I follow an "opportunistic charging" philosophy, where I juice up a little at a time whenever I can - in the car, for example.
    01-27-2016 06:15 PM
    If the battery lasts the day that's great. I'm a new iPhone owner 5s coming from a BlackBerry Classic. The BB lasted the full day with heavy use, email and social media and I'm not holding my breath with the iPhone.
    01-27-2016 06:21 PM
    I go even further. No apps are allowed to background update, ever. No apps have access to my location except Find my iPhone, literally ever.

And every phone I've had thus far has benefitted from the way I operate. I charge every third day because i don't need to until then.
    You can't stop apps from running in the background. It's neccessary that they do so. Most don't stay there long. But a few apps do. Like Facebook, TapaTalk, and the stock Mail app.
    You don't use any weather apps?
    01-27-2016 06:50 PM
    You need to wrap it in foil to get the charge rate up.
    *scratches head*

Are you sure? I thought the tin foil was used to make a hat....
    01-27-2016 11:33 PM
    I'm not getting good battery backup from my iPhone 6S
    01-28-2016 02:06 AM
    You can't stop apps from running in the background. It's neccessary that they do so. Most don't stay there long. But a few apps do. Like Facebook, TapaTalk, and the stock Mail app.
    You don't use any weather apps?
    NEVER. I don't use the FB app, I use Safari. I have background app updating off, and I kill every app when I am finished with it. I leave things off that I don't need on.
    01-28-2016 08:47 AM
    NEVER. I don't use the FB app, I use Safari. I have background app updating off, and I kill every app when I am finished with it. I leave things off that I don't need on.
    Apps need to run in the background. They work better that way. Most only do so a short time. A few seconds. Just because they sit in multitasking doesn't mean they are running. All Background App Refresh does is help the apps to do what they do more efficiently, thereby saving battery. There's probably only 2 or 3 apps you have that cause problems. You can see which ones run too much in Settings >Battery. Sitting in multitasking does not equal running.
    01-28-2016 09:21 AM
    Wow some people are really crazy about their batteries
    01-28-2016 04:40 PM
    Apps need to run in the background. They work better that way. Most only do so a short time. A few seconds. Just because they sit in multitasking doesn't mean they are running. All Background App Refresh does is help the apps to do what they do more efficiently, thereby saving battery. There's probably only 2 or 3 apps you have that cause problems. You can see which ones run too much in Settings >Battery. Sitting in multitasking does not equal running.

I have a question. I know Android and iOS aren't the same, which is why I'm curious if iOS works similarly;

With Android there is a difference between a running app and a cached app. Killing a cached app only causes it to refresh itself, which does use resources. Android is hard coded to kill a task when more memory is needed, when you haven't returned to it for a long time, or when it's done doing what ever it needs to do. So again, killing it only causes it to run again until what ever was using it is done using it. The only true way to prevent something from running is to just remove it from the phone. On the Android OS cached apps don't use any CPU or battery. (I'm getting this from an Android forum.. it was written by an app developer.)

Does iOS work similarly?
    01-28-2016 05:10 PM
    I have a question. I know Android and iOS aren't the same, which is why I'm curious if iOS works similarly;

With Android there is a difference between a running app and a cached app. Killing a cached app only causes it to refresh itself, which does use resources. Android is hard coded to kill a task when more memory is needed, when you haven't returned to it for a long time, or when it's done doing what ever it needs to do. So again, killing it only causes it to run again until what ever was using it is done using it. The only true way to prevent something from running is to just remove it from the phone. On the Android OS cached apps don't use any CPU or battery. (I'm getting this from an Android forum.. it was written by an app developer.)

Does iOS work similarly?
    Killing an app stops it. It does nothing until you launch it again. And that uses resources. But it eventually does it's thing. Most apps only run in the background a short time. They need to. Those don't need to be killed just because they sit in multitasking. But there's a few like Facebook, TapaTalk and others that run for 1 or more hours per day. I never kill my apps for no reason. If they misbehave I do.
    Sherry_B and maverick786us like this.
    01-28-2016 05:30 PM
    Killing an app stops it. It does nothing until you launch it again. And that uses resources. But it eventually does it's thing. Most apps only run in the background a short time. They need to. Those don't need to be killed just because they sit in multitasking. But there's a few like Facebook, TapaTalk and others that run for 1 or more hours per day. I never kill my apps for no reason. If they misbehave I do.

I understand, I think. Thanks!
    01-28-2016 05:35 PM
    I let my phone talk in the background as much as it needs to and I let it notify me whenever it wants, except between 10pm and 7am.

I charge my phone about every three days because I don't need to until then, and my phone is a hell of a lot more useful as a result.
    01-28-2016 06:20 PM

Imagine how long the battery would last if you shut it down after you used it each time.

Your methods seem excessive, but if they work for you, who am I to say? I've always chuckled at the posts (whether in the news/blog section of this site or others, as well as in forums) that suggest turning all this stuff off to save battery. Certainly an option, but some of it is actually useful!
    01-29-2016 07:21 AM

Your methods seem excessive, but if they work for you, who am I to say? I've always chuckled at the posts (whether in the news/blog section of this site or others, as well as in forums) that suggest turning all this stuff off to save battery. Certainly an option, but some of it is actually useful!
    I don't understand completely turning off location services. Per app sure, but completely no. Doesn't that make the Find My Phone feature useless? My fiance' and I use Life 360 so it's pointless to disable location services. If something happened to one of us we could find the other via the history in Life 360. Maybe it's just my age, but I want someone knowing where I am.

Honestly though, if someone even looked at my phone the wrong way or tried to run off with it, I'd be Dolly Parton in 9 to 5 chasing the theif (Dabney Coleman). Always did think that scene was hilarious.
    01-29-2016 01:47 PM
    I merely want to have my device active from 06:00 - 19:00, and I'm good...
    mumfoau and maverick786us like this.
    01-30-2016 01:07 PM
    I merely want to have my device active from 06:00 - 19:00, and I'm good...
    Yeah if your device will give 13 hrs on battery, most are back at home by then or at the least in a situation where they can easily charge-such as on their commute.
    01-30-2016 01:37 PM
    Iphone battery's don't use a charge cycle every time theyre plugged in

"Charge your Apple lithium-ion battery whenever you want. Theres no need to let it discharge 100% before recharging. Apple lithium-ion batteries work in charge cycles. You complete one charge cycle when youve used (discharged) an amount that equals 100% of your batterys capacity but not necessarily all from one charge. For instance, you might use 75% of your batterys capacity one day, then recharge it fully overnight. If you use 25% the next day, you will have discharged a total of 100%, and the two days will add up to one charge cycle. It could take several days to complete a cycle. "
    -Straight from apples website.
    libra89 likes this.
    05-19-2016 02:28 AM
    Fortunately, that's not how modern batteries work. They charge in cycles, so if your battery is on 70%, when you charge it fully, that uses 30% of a cycle. Once your battery depletes to 30%, you've used 70% of that particular cycle. So really your extra measures aren't doing anything beneficial, particularly with the advent of smart battery technology.

But I'm definitely a big proponent for keeping up on battery health, attempting to keep the device plugged in when possible so it runs off corded power, as well as constantly monitoring the general temperature and state of function for the cells. So yeah, I definitely care.
    It's not good to leave them plugged in all the time. It doesn't hurt to leave it plugged in overnight, but it needs to be removed asap.
    Power is to your iPhone battery as sweets are to a human: It has the potential of inflicting too much of a good thing. Keeping your iPhone plugged into power can shorten its batterys life span, or the amount of time before you must replace it. You actually strengthen your lithium-ion battery and prevent its premature demise each time you make it power your iPhone on its own, without the crutch of a power source. As Apple puts it, Its important to keep the electrons in it moving occasionally. So, if you keep your iPhone plugged in in an attempt to save a charge cycle, you'll actually defeat your purpose. The best way to conserve charge cycles is to use the device less. If you average 8 hours per day usage, cut it back to 7 hours per day.
    mumfoau likes this.
    05-19-2016 12:26 PM
    In my world, battery life is measured in days, and battery life is the greatest integer function assigned to the time the phone lives.

There are very few 2 day battery phones in my world (maybe the pluses, but it's close). A number of android devices are 0 days phones in my world, ie you can't trust them to last to the next charge at end of day.

The iPhones 6S+ is the closest thing on the market to a two day device.
    mumfoau likes this.
    05-19-2016 03:10 PM
    I plug in all my Apple devices every night when I go to bed. I don't look to see how much battery is left, I just put it on the charger. My iPhone 6s Plus is my third iPhone and I've never had a problem with a battery.
    mumfoau likes this.
    05-19-2016 03:38 PM
124 ... 345