How many of you care about your battery seriously?

maverick786us

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
With non-replaceable batteries, how many of you consider the longevity of your battery seriously?

For example. These batteries have a very limited lifespan, where after 180-200 charges, the battery starts degrading. So lets say if someone unnecessarily charge for 1 sec, that will count as one count.

I always have to take extra measure like...
1) I do not put it on charging until the battery percentage is less than 10%.
2) When I put it on charging I make sure that it is 100% charged, before taking it out.
3) I never follow that casual policy where people put it on charging, if receive call they take it out and then put it again.

How many of you, follow this strict battery practice, and is it really helpful in long life of the battery? Please share your openion

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
Charge my iPhone 6 every night,for over a year (well over 200 charges) and it still holds a charge the full day and plus some. Have not seen a need yet to worry about it.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I care about it, but I don't worry too much about it. I have my Anker PowerCore+ with me wherever I go so that I always have juice.

Smply_Rckless

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
I care, but I don't. The device is meant to be used. I'm not gonna turn 99.9% of things off to get thru a day. I'm sitting at 32% right now 16 hours later.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
All I do that might be considered special is charge my iPhone 6 at around 40%. On a work day I'll unplug when I get on site at around 6:00am and use my device all day then plug in and get as much charge as I can on my commute home. I've always done this with iPhones save for the 6 Plus which really didn't require that commute charge!

Never experienced any issues!

mr_coldharbour

Dec 26, 2015
Visit site
With non-replaceable batteries, how many of you consider the longevity of your battery seriously?

For example. These batteries have a very limited lifespan, where after 180-200 charges, the battery starts degrading. So lets say if someone unnecessarily charge for 1 sec, that will count as one count.

2) When I put it on charging I make sure that it is 100% charged, before taking it out.
3) I never follow that casual policy where people put it on charging, if receive call they take it out and then put it again.

How many of you, follow this strict battery practice, and is it really helpful in long life of the battery? Please share your openion

Plugging your phone in for a few minutes doesn't count as a charge cycle. A charge cycle is whenever you plug in your device and it charges until it surpasses the 90% range. That will count as a charge cycle. Note that whenever you plug in your device and unplug it when it reaches, say, 94% battery, and you go to Settings > Battery and go down to Usage you'll see that it'll say 0mins Usage, 0mins Standby. To put it simply, a charge cycle will count as one whenever you plug in your device and it reaches 100% charge. So don't worry if you plugged in your phone and it goes from 70-71%, that's not a charge cycle by any means, rest assured.

In addition, an iPhone's battery starts degrading once it hits 500 charge cycles.

Also to answer your question, yes I'm one of those who is a stickler for battery life. I use a 6S Plus and I'm not WOWED by it's battery performance. It is notably better than my previous iPhone 6, but not GROUNDBREAKING!

maverick786us

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
Plugging your phone in for a few minutes doesn't count as a charge cycle. A charge cycle is whenever you plug in your device and it charges until it surpasses the 90% range. That will count as a charge cycle. Note that whenever you plug in your device and unplug it when it reaches, say, 94% battery, and you go to Settings > Battery and go down to Usage you'll see that it'll say 0mins Usage, 0mins Standby. To put it simply, a charge cycle will count as one whenever you plug in your device and it reaches 100% charge. So don't worry if you plugged in your phone and it goes from 70-71%, that's not a charge cycle by any means, rest assured.

In addition, an iPhone's battery starts degrading once it hits 500 charge cycles.

Also to answer your question, yes I'm one of those who is a stickler for battery life. I use a 6S Plus and I'm not WOWED by it's battery performance. It is notably better than my previous iPhone 6, but not GROUNDBREAKING!

Yes, mine is a new iPhone that i purchased so the battery might take some time to reach its peak. Till now it the battery life is less than 24 hours. But I believe, its because of clash of kings, which mostly consume 61% battery. Usually iPhone 6s battery life is considered to be great, in terms of endurance rating

mr_coldharbour

Dec 26, 2015
Visit site

One more thing I'd like to add in addition to my previous reply to you, this relates to your 1st point. You should not allow your battery to go below 10% all the time, in fact, avoid as much as possible reaching red territory (<20%). If you drain it very often that's how you degrade the overall health of the battery. Do one 0-100% full cycle not more than once a month or two for calibration purposes, otherwise, if you feel it needs to be charged and are worried about going a charge cycle then just charge till mid-80's % and then do a full cycle when needed.

mr_coldharbour

Dec 26, 2015
Visit site
Is there a free app to measure battery health like charge cycles?

There use to be one called Battery Logger Plus on the App Store but Apple removed it. If you want to check it on your phone you'd have to be jailbroken and install a jailbreak app/tweak called BatteryLife and it'll give you all that info.

Or if you're not jailbroken and you use a Mac, then install an app called Coconut Battery (it's an app to assess the battery health of your Mac, if it has a battery) but lately it has a feature to assess battery health of iDevices. Once you've done that, run the app, plug your device in and go to the "devices" tab and there you'll see lots of battery info and device info including when it was manufactured.

Ariel Babalao

May 8, 2014
Visit site

Latest iPhone batteries have cycles up to 500, and when I think of it, if I go I cycle per day, that will be more than a year to finish 500 cycles.
And a cycle doesn't burn out just by topping charges for a few minutes, apple website have documentation about cycles that you can read about.
That said, I plug and unplug my iPhone all the times for several reasons/scenarios without thinking about the battery, and the battery is doing fine. For me, the best way to keep the iPhone battery healthy is to avoid faster discharge faster charge of the battery, several things can faster discharge the battery like hours of gaming, hours of videos, videos editing on the iPhone, and even being on a week GSM signals or data 3G/4G signals zone. From my experience with the iPhone 5s those things quickly reduced the iPhone 5s battery capacity in not time if I keep playing heavy games, doing videos editing for weeks on it.
Now on my 6s plus, I still play heavy games videos but not more than 1h a days altogether and my battery is doing fine, also like I mentioned up, I charge the iPhone whenever needed only, and I can disconnect it from charger whenever needed, I do not necessary charge to 100% all times, or discharge it to 10 or bellow all the time, in fact it's very rare that I let the iPhone go bellow 20% as I don't want to find my self in a place without charge in the phone.
And here is how my iPhone 6s Plus battery is doing at the moment, notice it's about 50 days old already.
16af8c7c58fedd4e7c0aeebb534bd809.jpg

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Officially, Apple's iPhone lithium batteries are designed to retain 80% capacity for 500 FULL charge cycles. This is the benchmark Apple uses for its own purposes. So it isn't likely that you'll completely fry your battery before 500 charges but Apple would expect to see some slight degrading.
I don't have the time or the energy to worry about this. I charge my battery overnight, every night. If my battery ever gets low during the day I charge it at my desk. My policy of not caring has served me well since my iPhone 4 because I've yet to kill a battery.
From https://www.apple.com/batteries/#mn_p
25cbed1826ab4c86f512d7530441b1ff.jpg

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I don't worry about this either. I've stopped trying to set stuff in Settings to save battery. It's silly. I do keep some things toggled off that I don't use. But for the most part, I use what I need. I have Background App Refresh toggled on for everything. It's actually helpful. It's there for the purpose of helping apps running in the background to do so more efficiently. Turning it off does not prevent apps from running in the background. Apps need to run in the background. The problem is those that do so too much. Like Facebook, TapaTalk and stock Mail app. Depending on my activities, I average between 10 hours and 12 hours usage time per charge. I consider myself a heavy user. I should be fine until I upgrade to the iPhone 7s Plus.

iwicked

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
I tend to worry about the battery in the back of my mind. I charge my phone every night. Once a month I drain it down completely until it powers off to recalibrate the battery. And I try to avoid keeping it plugged in needlessly once it has reached 100% charge.

I've had no complaints about battery life so far - been iPhone user since the iPhone 5. However , I constantly worry that playing World of Tanks Blitz on my phone everyday - sometimes while plugged in - takes a toll on my battery. But I love this game and usually don't play over an hour each day.

iwicked

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
There use to be one called Battery Logger Plus on the App Store but Apple removed it. If you want to check it on your phone you'd have to be jailbroken and install a jailbreak app/tweak called BatteryLife and it'll give you all that info.

Or if you're not jailbroken and you use a Mac, then install an app called Coconut Battery (it's an app to assess the battery health of your Mac, if it has a battery) but lately it has a feature to assess battery health of iDevices. Once you've done that, run the app, plug your device in and go to the "devices" tab and there you'll see lots of battery info and device info including when it was manufactured.

Works like a charm. Great app. Thanks!

Last edited:

D13H4RD2L1V3

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I use an iPad Pro and I'm not overly paranoid about my battery lifespan.

Frankly, I always charge it every 2 days (and trying not to let it slip below 20%, though it does happen, and I'm trying not to let it do so again for the lifespan of the device). The battery life on it is excellent anyways.

BTW, a full-charge cycle is when you use a total of 100% of the battery's capacity, even if you spread the use out over several partial discharges. The following diagram might help out.

In short, don't worry too much. Don't let the battery heat up too much and try to make sure it's topped off once the battery reaches 20%.

charge.PNG

D13H4RD2L1V3

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
One more thing I'd like to add in addition to my previous reply to you, this relates to your 1st point. You should not allow your battery to go below 10% all the time, in fact, avoid as much as possible reaching red territory (<20%). If you drain it very often that's how you degrade the overall health of the battery. Do one 0-100% full cycle not more than once a month or two for calibration purposes, otherwise, if you feel it needs to be charged and are worried about going a charge cycle then just charge till mid-80's % and then do a full cycle when needed.

Actually, try not to let it dip too much every time. It's terrible for the battery as they can stop working outright if it's dropped too low. Thankfully, current devices shut off before that happens, so it's impossible.

Also, the whole battery-calibration thing isn't really relevant today.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox