How many of you care about your battery seriously?

ipooed

Dec 5, 2015
Visit site
You don't need to turn all that off. Just use good judgment. You're overdoing it. You're obsessing with the battery way too much. Battery use is normal. There's absolutely no need to turn all that off. Your battery and phone will do fine with that stuff on. Just tweak it here and there. If you can't enjoy your iPhone, you may as well get a flip phone.

Apple Music sucks, I never use location services (maybe once a month) background app refresh I haven't really looked into that much (I just figured where as I have a low data plan it would eat that up in a heart beat) I never use any Bluetooth devices except a speaker in the summer. I don't really care for 3D Touch that much, Siri doesn't know anything without a web search ( another data user) a lot if these that I have turned off I barely use anyways

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I just enjoy my iPhone (6s Plus) and not worry about two years from now, just today. The 6s Plus has the BEST battery life on a day to day basis than any smartphone that I've ever owned. This works for ME.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Apple Music sucks, I never use location services (maybe once a month) background app refresh I haven't really looked into that much (I just figured where as I have a low data plan it would eat that up in a heart beat) I never use any Bluetooth devices except a speaker in the summer. I don't really care for 3D Touch that much, Siri doesn't know anything without a web search ( another data user) a lot if these that I have turned off I barely use anyways

Background App Refresh is a good thing. Apple didn't add it in iOS 7 to eat battery. It's to help apps running in the background to do so more efficiently. Thus saving battery. All apps need to run in the background. Most don't stay there for long. But a few want to hang out there way to much. That's where the problem is. Turning off Background App Refresh does not stop an app from running in the background, nor does it eat battery.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
wow. I don't see how you guys do that 30% brightness. I run mine at 100% brightness, without autobright no matter what phone I own.
I would get an Apple battery case before I would run the screen below 100%

I just turned mine down to 30-40% and cringed at how dim and horrible it looked. back at 100%

I have auto brightness, 100% is WAY too bright. Here's mine in a relatively dim room (watching the AFC playoffs). No lights on but window light through the blinds. It's perfect.

But yikes, I'm at 56% -- better charge it!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453666407.080670.jpg

ipooed

Dec 5, 2015
Visit site
Background App Refresh is a good thing. Apple didn't add it in iOS 7 to eat battery. It's to help apps running in the background to do so more efficiently. Thus saving battery. All apps need to run in the background. Most don't stay there for long. But a few want to hang out there way to much. That's where the problem is. Turning off Background App Refresh does not stop an app from running in the background, nor does it eat battery.

Ok, but what about my data? I noticed in iOS 7 app refresh helped put me over my data limit and here in Canada after I went over, my data was cancelled? (I was unable to use any data until the next month)

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Ok, but what about my data? I noticed in iOS 7 app refresh helped put me over my data limit and here in Canada after I went over, my data was cancelled? (I was unable to use any data until the next month)

How did you figure it was app refresh that caused you to go over your limit. It's my experience that watching videos is more likely, among other things.

NoviMajster

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
Each person uses his or her iPhone differently, that's why. Furthermore, soooo many of us do not have battery problems after 2 years. A good deal of people install numerous apps and games on their device and NEVER go through the settings to see what permissions are set by default. Various games have access to cellular data, background app refresh and notifications, and they really don't need access to any of those things, in my opinion. Yet, those thing can contribute to battery life. In addition, many people are on their devices longer than they realize, especially those who frequently use social apps like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter. Heck, my kids are on YouTube and Vine all day everyday watching videos and are always charging their devices. Finally, a weak or intermittent cellular signal can deplete one's battery quickly.

U are confusing things; i am talking about battery health not battery usage....... Usage is unique to every person. But after reading all those fairy tales above battery health should be universally well after 2 years of usage. But we know from these forums that really MANY ppl have problems withs theirs after that such a period of time.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
U are confusing things; i am talking about battery health not battery usage....... Usage is unique to every person. But after reading all those fairy tales above battery health should be universally well after 2 years of usage. But we know from these forums that really MANY ppl have problems withs theirs after that such a period of time.

No, I am not confusing things. Usage determines its health, and from the questions I've read in the forums over the years, the focus is primarily on what some users perceive to be quick battery depletion. Yet, when their usage habits change or they make adjustments in the device's settings, their battery life improves.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

2 years for a battery is good for a heavy user like me. Most of us upgrade after 1 or 2 years. So there's really no point in worrying about the battery. If I need to use my phone more than 2 years, I'll buy a new battery. My Wife doesn't use hers as much or do as many battery intense things like I do. Her 5c is 2 years old now. It'll last her another year or 2.

ianpryan

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
With non-replaceable batteries, how many of you consider the longevity of your battery seriously?

For example. These batteries have a very limited lifespan, where after 180-200 charges, the battery starts degrading. So lets say if someone unnecessarily charge for 1 sec, that will count as one count.

I always have to take extra measure like...
1) I do not put it on charging until the battery percentage is less than 10%.
2) When I put it on charging I make sure that it is 100% charged, before taking it out.
3) I never follow that casual policy where people put it on charging, if receive call they take it out and then put it again.

How many of you, follow this strict battery practice, and is it really helpful in long life of the battery? Please share your openion

Apple says their batteries should perform at a good level for up to about 525 full charges. Not sure how that squares with the 180-200 incremental charges.

Artorture

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
I care about my battery life so much I bought a Chinese knock off of Mophie Juice Pack (i6). After 7 months it died I was going to buy a Mophie Juice Pack when I was at Apple store. The sales rep told me it does not fit on all docks. Remembering how I struggled getting the phone in and out of the case, I spent the extra $40 dollars to buy the iPhone Smart Case. The Apple rep told me the case fits in all docks, however he failed to tell me I needed to buy a aux adapter, unless I only use the Apple EarPods

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I care about my battery life so much I bought a Chinese knock off of Mophie Juice Pack (i6). After 7 months it died I was going to buy a Mophie Juice Pack when I was at Apple store. The sales rep told me it does not fit on all docks. Remembering how I struggled getting the phone in and out of the case, I spent the extra $40 dollars to buy the iPhone Smart Case. The Apple rep told me the case fits in all docks, however he failed to tell me I needed to buy a aux adapter, unless I only use the Apple EarPods

And a brand new battery is $80. Lol

maverick786us

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
Guys thanks for your suggestion. Now I would worry less about the battery life and will never let my iPhone batter discharge below 20%.

I worry about my battery life when I am travelling overseas, as if I am out and about, I am not sure when I will be able to get to an electrical outlet, nor how long the battery will last trying to get connections on foreign networks.

I also worry about it when I travel on weekends, as I may not be around outlets for over a day at a time.

I'd love to have a battery that could last 2-3 days with heavy use. I'd live with a couple of mm thickness increase to achieve it.

Removal of the 3.5mm jack will create a big mess. Where the current headsets will not be supported we won't be able to use high end headsets from BOSE and Beats which are meant for multiple devices.

The current thickness is the limit. We don't need anything thinner than this. It will make the device fragile, weak batter, speakers and music quality and worst, it will make the device difficult to hold.

pibrew

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
The battery life on my iPhones through the years has never been an issue with me. I guess I just plan on keeping them charged and it isn't s big deal.

NoviMajster

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
No, I am not confusing things. Usage determines its health, and from the questions I've read in the forums over the years, the focus is primarily on what some users perceive to be quick battery depletion. Yet, when their usage habits change or they make adjustments in the device's settings, their battery life improves.

Wait, wait...... So "usage" has an effect on battery health, but how u charge your battery does not?? That is kinda ridiculous. It s not a question of perceivement if you can find thousands of users that complain about bad battery after 20 months. And NO adjustements do not take care of the ruined battery.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Wait, wait...... So "usage" has an effect on battery health, but how u charge your battery does not?? That is kinda ridiculous. It s not a question of perceivement if you can find thousands of users that complain about bad battery after 20 months. And NO adjustements do not take care of the ruined battery.
You're inputting things that I did not state. Your previous post, as you've stated, focused on battery health, and I told you that usage determines its health and then I gave some examples. In regard to YOUR statement about the manner in which people charge their batteries can affect the overall health, maybe it can, but the way I charge my phone does not affect its health because, like many others who charge them overnight, we get excellent battery life. What happens years later after I no longer have the phone is not my concern. Finally, I never said that "adjustments" take care of ruined batteries, and you know it.

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

After 20 months? Why, yes! Those batteries don't last forever. But why ruin one's overall smartphone experience trying to add a month or two to the battery's longevity? So what if the battery dies after 20 or 24 months? Most everyone upgrades after 1 or 2 years. If you trade the old in, they replace the battery. If you sell it, the buyer may need to replace it. Fiddling with the settings and turning off features only kills off some of the fun.

jyrbain

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Of course there is. Don't let it die (go under 10%) and put it on the charger over night. It only has so many use cycles. If it goes from 100% to 75% then back to 100% thats only 1/4 of a use cycle. So if its on a charger, the battery isn't begin used and its life is extended.

ipooed

Dec 5, 2015
Visit site
How did you figure it was app refresh that caused you to go over your limit. It's my experience that watching videos is more likely, among other things.

Because since then I have always had it turned off and never ran into that issue again, it's been 2 years and my habits have stayed the same since the release of iOS 7. Hell I even use the same apps and have the same screen layout.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73