iPhone 6+ of dead friend, can I please get some help?

Tony Gilham

Jan 20, 2016
Visit site
Iphone 6+ of dead friend

Dear All
wonder if I might ask for a bit of help or advise.
In short it concerns the Apple I phone 6 plus that a good friend of mine had with him when he died. We have had it returned along with the apple computer from the Police The computer I have been able to reset and rebuild no problem. The I Phone is more of an issue. As the Police did whatever the Police did with Apple to satisfy them that all was ok with the phone Apple ID of my friend is now defunct. The Iphone has this supposed safety lock that is tied to the Apple ID.

I have had numerous attempts at trying to get Apple support to release the lock. I have submitted copies of Death Cert, Copy of Will and as much information I can get from the chief Executives office of EE / Orange with which the phone was registered and from where it was purchased

All I get from Apple is that what I have submitted is insufficient to get the lock released. But when I ask what will be sufficient they refuse to tell me. So I am going quietly or now after 3 months not so quietly crazy.

I have written to the General manager of Apple UK and Apple US but we always come back to the same point. What I have submitted is insufficient.

Any help or pointers you can give would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Re: Iphone 6+ of dead friend

It will likely cost you more money in legal fees than it is worth. My advice would be to retain an attorney.

dsvochak

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

Recently there was a story about a widow who was told by Apple she needed a court order for them to provide an account password. You may need the same.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Iphone 6+ of dead friend

I'm sorry to hear about your friend's passing. I don't want to say that your efforts to get the device unlocked are futile but it's incredibly improbable that you're going to ever get in. Unless you're the executor of your friend's estate I doubt that a court will give you an order. Even then it would be a long shot.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

I'd like to think that if the person's Apple ID is defunct, so is the account which should include iCloud if the same Apple ID was used. Also, the police you referenced should be able to confirm your relationship along with the other information you mentioned - at least in my opinion.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site

My fiance' has access to every single one of my passwords (and I to his), so thankfully it will never be an issue if something ever happens to me.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

My fiance' has access to every single one of my passwords (and I to his), so thankfully it will never be an issue if something ever happens to me.

Good point, Sherry. My wife has my 1Password master password.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site

^^^Yes, I do the same for 1Password. Also have one of her fingerprints registered for TouchID.

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site

OP, may not be worth all the effort you are putting into it. Unless you are trying to recover something of your friends that is important to you. The money and time you will spend will most likely exceed the worth of the phone.

My wife has access to all my passwords. As do I to hers. We use 1Password to protect ours.

Great deal

May 31, 2014
Visit site

Ive thought about this, however I have the master password in my will to leave to next of kin (kins) in case something happened to me and my partner (plane crash, boat accident, whatever)

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site

Trust me, it will not be worth the expense of getting a court order to gain access to the phone. If Apple are fighting governments (successfully) regarding gaining access to data, i'm afraid you, on your own, are going to have one heck of a time trying to do it.

As an aside, my good lady doesn't have access to any of my passwords, nor I hers. I like it that way and so does she. Horses for courses.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711