After years of loyalty to android (aside from having the 4s for 2 months) I traded in my beloved Note 4 for a silver 64gb iPhone 6s Plus.

The iPhone has come a long way and I have to give credit where it's due. Damn. This thing is nice. To be honest, I gave the first iPhones crap. They couldn't even send picture messages, so in my mind they were always a little behind when it came to the features I was looking for.

But when it was time to upgrade I compared the iPhone 6s+ and Note 5 AGGRESSIVELY, and here I am. I'm not someone that goes back and forth, so this was a big jump for me.

I'm loving this device so far, but I have to wonder... What knowledge am I missing that I could have gained if I had been part of this community for as long as I was a part of the android community?

So here's my question to all long time apple fans: what's your favorite *not so obvious* feature or trick on your iPhone? What stands out to you?

All in all: this is a beautiful device that, to me, screams innovation. Apple is thinking about the future and I love it.
    01-17-2016 10:41 AM
    For me, I would have to say the 3D Touch feature on my iPhone 6S Plus. I use it everyday, and thankfully, most of my most used apps support it. Being that even more apps are starting to support the feature, it can only get better for the user, in my opinion....
    femme and rayporsche like this.
    01-17-2016 10:51 AM
    I was the same. Loved my Note 4 but wanted something new. I read everything I could on the differences between the Note 5 and the IPhone 6s plus. I decided on the IPhone and so far I am happy.

The silly but main things I miss from my Note 4 ( besides the pen) are: 1) SwiftKey keyboard. While you can get this for the IPhone, it is a little different. 2) The ability to make a widget on the home screen for the people you call the most. I just realized if you press the phone icon to activate the 3D feature, you get 3 contacts from your favorite list to show up. This helps but not if you have a large family. 3) You could enlarge the font on the Note 4 making it way easier to read the Internet. While you get Zoom and the Readers mode with Safari, it's still a little cumbersome to use.

I am happy that I switched and everyday I am learning and finding some cool features. My advice is to try the 3D feature with everything. It really helps the transition from an Android to an IPhone
    01-17-2016 11:57 AM
    You're not missing out on any knowledge that I would think of per se. It's 3D touch, it's really nice and I use it a lot....a not so obvious feature I really love are the wide range of accessories for the iPhone haha
    mumfoau and femme like this.
    01-18-2016 11:59 AM
    You're not missing out on any knowledge that I would think of per se. It's 3D touch, it's really nice and I use it a lot....a not so obvious feature I really love are the wide range of accessories for the iPhone haha
    Yeah, I'm learning the iPhone is simple and very convenient. Once I got everything set the way I wanted, I was cruisin.
    Trooper27 likes this.
    01-18-2016 09:25 PM
    - 3D touch the side of the screen to multitasking between the previous apps.

- Often people forget about reachability which is double tapping the home button not pressing it
    bex85, Trees and femme like this.
    01-19-2016 09:24 AM

- Often people forget about reachability which is double tapping the home button not pressing it
    Thanks! The side screen multitasking is way better than the home button double tap.
    01-19-2016 09:25 AM
    Even I'm too an android fan but I'm planning to shift from android to apple, is it a good decision? Help me out please.
    01-19-2016 10:13 AM
    Original Android user since 2010, first iPhone ever. 6s+
    It's worth the switch, if you're not dependent on widgets and not worried about customization.

3D Touch is actually a good feature, not a gimmick.
    femme likes this.
    01-21-2016 01:36 PM
    Even I'm too an android fan but I'm planning to shift from android to apple, is it a good decision? Help me out please.
    I am definitely happy with my decision. Absolutely no regrets. I've had many androids and was ready for something new. There are enough shortcuts, you won't miss widgets. Customization is another story....

I've found a work around for any feature I need, and they've all been simple so no complaints here
    01-22-2016 11:50 AM
    Welcome to iMore! Here's a really nice iOS 9.2 guide. You download it to your iBooks.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/iph...mUvbUpU2684795
    femme, rayporsche and Laura Knotek like this.
    01-22-2016 12:02 PM
    For me, the feature that has made the most impact for my usage is the spotlight search. I absolutely love it! Song I want to hear, just pull down on the screen and type in the song and I can play it. Movie I want to see, just pull down on the screen, type it in and I have choices to buy it on iTunes, watch it on Netflix or HBO Go. Address, just pull down type in the address and it links to the Maps app. Spotlight search is brilliant.
    01-24-2016 12:57 AM
    I'm platform agnostic, only recently discovered ios. Loving the smoothness. The walled garden truly is designed for ease of use.
    Laura Knotek and femme like this.
    01-24-2016 01:25 AM

Didn't even know that feature existed. Thanks.
    Trees likes this.
    01-24-2016 02:07 AM
    For me I'd say Siri. I use Siri for everything. Whether it's to set a timer when I'm cooking, phone calls, weather, or mapping directions to a location. Siri does it all.
    femme and GadgetMomma like this.
    01-24-2016 03:08 AM
    Didn't even know that feature existed. Thanks.
    Yeah, there are little things like that with 3D Touch that I forget about. It's baked into many things in iOS. I have really tried to make more of an effort to use it, but I don't always remember to use it.
    01-24-2016 08:52 AM

I've only seen that "side of the screen" feature in the Mail app. Where else does it work?
    01-24-2016 12:29 PM
    I've only seen that "side of the screen" feature in the Mail app. Where else does it work?
    No matter the app, using the 3D Touch feature at the edge of the screen will allow you to switch between open apps as stated above.
    A895 and rayporsche like this.
    01-24-2016 12:50 PM
    No matter the app, using the 3D Touch feature at the edge of the screen will allow you to switch between open apps as stated above.
    Learn stuff every day.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    01-24-2016 03:31 PM
    I find Siri very useful. I've started using Siri to adjust the brightness of my Hue lights in the living room, to manage my grocery list, and the "remind me of this" feature is very useful for making sure you don't forget to reply to an email or text message etc.

I'd agree that widgets is a feature where Android is much better than iPhone. 3rd-party keyboards as well; they still feel like 2nd-class citizens on iPhone.
    femme likes this.
    01-25-2016 01:03 PM
    Coming from a Note 5 for the last 2 months and a 6S Plus before that since launch.. I can say that there arent really many "standout" features necessarily.. But I did just recently (yesterday) come back to the 6S Plus for a few reasons..

1. Battery life is definitely better on the 6S Plus.. Note 5 couldnt make it through the day for me.. I could be fully charged at 9am and have a dead phone by 5pm easily... sometimes sooner.
    2. Swipe down on the home screen to quick search google! Probably my most used feature that I missed on Android!
    3 Notification shade widgets! Weather Network looks real nice in the notification shade as well as the Score!

Really the only "features" id say that stand out from Android!

Besides that Apple's warranty and reliability are the other main reasons I came back!
    01-27-2016 09:19 AM
    Coming from a Note 5 for the last 2 months and a 6S Plus before that since launch.. I can say that there arent really many "standout" features necessarily.. But I did just recently (yesterday) come back to the 6S Plus for a few reasons..

1. Battery life is definitely better on the 6S Plus.. Note 5 couldnt make it through the day for me.. I could be fully charged at 9am and have a dead phone by 5pm easily... sometimes sooner.
    2. Swipe down on the home screen to quick search google! Probably my most used feature that I missed on Android!
    3 Notification shade widgets! Weather Network looks real nice in the notification shade as well as the Score!

Really the only "features" id say that stand out from Android!

Besides that Apple's warranty and reliability are the other main reasons I came back!
    You're definitely right about the battery. My Note 4 died every afternoon. This phone still has a little juice when I go to bed!
    WeTheNorthRTZ likes this.
    01-28-2016 09:40 AM
    I am a huge fan of Android, and while I had a few iPhones early on, I have been in the Android camp for many years.

I recently had the opportunity to switch from VZW to ATT and cut my bill in half and get Unlimited data in the process, so I had a choice to make...

I had a Nexus 6 running the latest and greatest from Google. Amazing phone, loved it. But in order to get the $500 credit per line, I had to trade that in and get a new phone.

The only phones that were considered an upgrade were the Note 5 and the iPhone 6S Plus.

I really thought about it... and the Note 5 had a little nicer hardware, but was a downgrade in the software department, still running a skinned version of Lollipop...

So I rolled the dice and went with the iPhone.

It's very nice, but it does fall short in many areas. Can I live it it? Yeah, I am changing my usage patterns around the limitations... But overall it is a very nice phone, and it does work well so long as you don't try to leave the box that Apple creates for you.

It's still behind Android in several areas, and some will be deal breakers for some people... But overall it is an excellent smartphone and it does most of the things that you need without too many issues.

The iPhone has come a long way since the 3Gs, having copied a lot of Android features. Hopefully iOS 10 will address some more, like letting us pick our default apps, so that if you want to use Google Maps and Chrome or other apps, you can select them as default, so that you don't have to do the stupid opening multiple apps and copying and pasting between them all the time... Very annoying...

For the most part, I am happy enough with mine that I wasn't compelled to pay the $35 exchange fee and return it for the Note 5...
    Laura Knotek and femme like this.
    01-29-2016 05:04 PM
    I am a huge fan of Android, and while I had a few iPhones early on, I have been in the Android camp for many years.

I recently had the opportunity to switch from VZW to ATT and cut my bill in half and get Unlimited data in the process, so I had a choice to make...

I had a Nexus 6 running the latest and greatest from Google. Amazing phone, loved it. But in order to get the $500 credit per line, I had to trade that in and get a new phone.

The only phones that were considered an upgrade were the Note 5 and the iPhone 6S Plus.

I really thought about it... and the Note 5 had a little nicer hardware, but was a downgrade in the software department, still running a skinned version of Lollipop...

So I rolled the dice and went with the iPhone.

It's very nice, but it does fall short in many areas. Can I live it it? Yeah, I am changing my usage patterns around the limitations... But overall it is a very nice phone, and it does work well so long as you don't try to leave the box that Apple creates for you.

It's still behind Android in several areas, and some will be deal breakers for some people... But overall it is an excellent smartphone and it does most of the things that you need without too many issues.

The iPhone has come a long way since the 3Gs, having copied a lot of Android features. Hopefully iOS 10 will address some more, like letting us pick our default apps, so that if you want to use Google Maps and Chrome or other apps, you can select them as default, so that you don't have to do the stupid opening multiple apps and copying and pasting between them all the time... Very annoying...

For the most part, I am happy enough with mine that I wasn't compelled to pay the $35 exchange fee and return it for the Note 5...
    I've been in the same boat as you. Primarily Android for the past 6 years. I've dabbled in iOS, but really only been an Android user. There are places that it lags behind Android, that's for sure (I agree with the default app issue - I'd love to have Chrome as my default browser, and the Gmail app as my default email). But for my usage now, the places where it excels are more important to me. That would be stability, battery, smoothness, security and apps. I also like how I can use an iPad and Mac and have the same experience and they work together as one cohesive unit. This is not the case with anything on Android.
    01-30-2016 04:48 PM
    Try something freaky:

Install Tweetbot on a Mac and Tweetbot on an iPhone/iPad. Make sure you use the same iCloud ID on each.

Open Tweetbot on each device and just start scrolling down the feed and stop on a random tweet on one device. Tweetbot on the other device will scroll down with you and stop at that same tweet.
    nikkisharif and femme like this.
    02-02-2016 01:24 AM
29 12