Best iPhone features to check out for a former android fan

femme

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
After years of loyalty to android (aside from having the 4s for 2 months) I traded in my beloved Note 4 for a silver 64gb iPhone 6s Plus.

The iPhone has come a long way and I have to give credit where it's due. Damn. This thing is nice. To be honest, I gave the first iPhones crap. They couldn't even send picture messages, so in my mind they were always a little behind when it came to the features I was looking for.

But when it was time to upgrade I compared the iPhone 6s+ and Note 5 AGGRESSIVELY, and here I am. I'm not someone that goes back and forth, so this was a big jump for me.

I'm loving this device so far, but I have to wonder... What knowledge am I missing that I could have gained if I had been part of this community for as long as I was a part of the android community?

So here's my question to all long time apple fans: what's your favorite *not so obvious* feature or trick on your iPhone? What stands out to you?

All in all: this is a beautiful device that, to me, screams innovation. Apple is thinking about the future and I love it.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
For me, I would have to say the 3D Touch feature on my iPhone 6S Plus. I use it everyday, and thankfully, most of my most used apps support it. Being that even more apps are starting to support the feature, it can only get better for the user, in my opinion....:)

TMElectric

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I was the same. Loved my Note 4 but wanted something new. I read everything I could on the differences between the Note 5 and the IPhone 6s plus. I decided on the IPhone and so far I am happy.

The silly but main things I miss from my Note 4 ( besides the pen) are: 1) SwiftKey keyboard. While you can get this for the IPhone, it is a little different. 2) The ability to make a widget on the home screen for the people you call the most. I just realized if you press the phone icon to activate the 3D feature, you get 3 contacts from your favorite list to show up. This helps but not if you have a large family. 3) You could enlarge the font on the Note 4 making it way easier to read the Internet. While you get Zoom and the Readers mode with Safari, it's still a little cumbersome to use.

I am happy that I switched and everyday I am learning and finding some cool features. My advice is to try the 3D feature with everything. It really helps the transition from an Android to an IPhone

MooMooPrincess

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
You're not missing out on any knowledge that I would think of per se. It's 3D touch, it's really nice and I use it a lot....a not so obvious feature I really love are the wide range of accessories for the iPhone haha

femme

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
You're not missing out on any knowledge that I would think of per se. It's 3D touch, it's really nice and I use it a lot....a not so obvious feature I really love are the wide range of accessories for the iPhone haha

Yeah, I'm learning the iPhone is simple and very convenient. Once I got everything set the way I wanted, I was cruisin.

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
- 3D touch the side of the screen to multitasking between the previous apps.

- Often people forget about reachability which is double tapping the home button not pressing it

femme

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site

- Often people forget about reachability which is double tapping the home button not pressing it

Thanks! The side screen multitasking is way better than the home button double tap.

JayDean03

Jan 20, 2016
Visit site
Original Android user since 2010, first iPhone ever. 6s+
It's worth the switch, if you're not dependent on widgets and not worried about customization.

3D Touch is actually a good feature, not a gimmick.

femme

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
Even I'm too an android fan but I'm planning to shift from android to apple, is it a good decision? Help me out please.

I am definitely happy with my decision. Absolutely no regrets. I've had many androids and was ready for something new. There are enough shortcuts, you won't miss widgets. Customization is another story....

I've found a work around for any feature I need, and they've all been simple so no complaints here

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
For me, the feature that has made the most impact for my usage is the spotlight search. I absolutely love it! Song I want to hear, just pull down on the screen and type in the song and I can play it. Movie I want to see, just pull down on the screen, type it in and I have choices to buy it on iTunes, watch it on Netflix or HBO Go. Address, just pull down type in the address and it links to the Maps app. Spotlight search is brilliant.

zocster

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I'm platform agnostic, only recently discovered ios. Loving the smoothness. The walled garden truly is designed for ease of use.

Adawg1203

May 9, 2011
Visit site
For me I'd say Siri. I use Siri for everything. Whether it's to set a timer when I'm cooking, phone calls, weather, or mapping directions to a location. Siri does it all.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

I've only seen that "side of the screen" feature in the Mail app. Where else does it work?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I've only seen that "side of the screen" feature in the Mail app. Where else does it work?

No matter the app, using the 3D Touch feature at the edge of the screen will allow you to switch between open apps as stated above.

mavsguy842

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I find Siri very useful. I've started using Siri to adjust the brightness of my Hue lights in the living room, to manage my grocery list, and the "remind me of this" feature is very useful for making sure you don't forget to reply to an email or text message etc.

I'd agree that widgets is a feature where Android is much better than iPhone. 3rd-party keyboards as well; they still feel like 2nd-class citizens on iPhone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro