Android user switching to iOS

comiken205

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
As the title says, I come from Android. I started using my son's iPhone 6 to see if I would like the OS before committing to a two year relationship with iOS. Within 24 hours I ordered my iPhone 6S Plus! So I am going to talk about differences from my point of view and you may or may not agree but these are my observations.

Coming from a 12 month old Note 4 I can say that the responsiveness of the 6Plus is lightening fast! Comparing it to my wife's or son's Galaxy S6, herein known as S6, there is little to no lag on the 6 Plus. I am so amazed at how fast the animations are within in 6Plus.

Battery: I am not going to lie. I thought the smaller battery on the 6Plus was going to "suck". But I was so wrong! I am considered a super heavy user. With my Note 4 I would get no more than 2-3 hours, on a good day, watching videos on youtube, having my War of Nations on constantly and social media. With iOS I am seeing 6-7 hours of usage. This is amazing seeing that the iPhone battery is smaller than my Note 4 battery. The only bad thing is that with my Note 4 I can get a 50% charge in about 30 minutes whereas the 6Plus can take up to 2 hours, in my experience, to get a 50% charge. (Does anyone else have a faster charging iphone?)

Camera: The camera on the iPhone is great. I love taking pictures and to be honest use it as my daily device for photos. The pictures look amazing even when transferring them to my computer. Where the camera fails me is in the following. Aspect ration is 4:3 on the iPhone and you cannot change it. Whereas in Android you can choose your ratio from 16:9, 4:3 and 1:1. UHD option is there as well. Night pics? Forget about it. I compared pictures from my 6Plus and wife's S6. The S6 blew the 6Plus out of the water in night pics. All in all, I really love the camera on the 6Plus.

Sound/Rings: Maybe I am missing the settings where I can change this and you can help. But one annoying thing about iOS is that one volume controls all sounds on the device, natively. Maybe there is an app out there that can change this. However, I miss the option of raising my text volume and lowering my phone and system volume independently. The vibrate button is a huge plus and makes the previous issue a non issue. So it cancels itself out in my opinion.

I like the speaker and where the speaker is placed. It is loud and crisp. One thing I would love for all manufactures to do is place the speakers on the front of the device. Here is a shout out to you HTC. With the 6S Plus ginormous bezels you figured they would have space for a speaker or two. (1st world problems)

ID TOUCH!!!! What more can I say. It is so fast and responsive! Some people complain it is too fast. I say it is perfect. I love how fast it opens my device so that I can get to my task at hand! Maybe I am being attacked on War of Nations and I need to get in game fast!!! :)

Keyboard: The only thing I like about the keyboard is the long press on the space bar so you can move the cursor around to fix any mistakes. Other than that it is meh. I downloaded and use Swiftkey as my daily keyboard. I am biased of course because I have had Swiftkey since my Galaxy S2.

OS Updating: I saved the best for last! Here I am on the most up to date OS while my Note 4 won't get Marshallow until God knows when! Yes, I could have purchased a Nexus device to get the updates quicker. Unicode is up to date and its funny that even my wife and son can't see my emoji's! Yes, this is probably the main reason I made the switch. No need to wait for a carrier to add their bloat ware to my device.

Screen: It might not be a QHD display but it is still crisp. Amazing how the display can be so clear! The UI and edges on the widgets is amazing. Even the letters are great and I use progressive glasses to read. I am very pleased with the display.

iOS simply just works! Are there some things I don't like? Of course. But there were some things I didn't like about Android either. While no operating system is perfect, it's what works for you the user. I will be staying with iOS and don't see myself going back to Android.

I hope I didn't confuse you and made some sense in what I was trying to say. It is hard for me to put my thoughts on paper. That's why I didn't become an author! lol

P.S. If I download a word file, where do I find it? Not having a file manager is going to take some getting used to.

anon(7901790)

Dec 24, 2015
Visit site
As the title says, I come from Android. I started using my son's iPhone 6 to see if I would like the OS before committing to a two year relationship with iOS. Within 24 hours I ordered my iPhone 6S Plus! So I am going to talk about differences from my point of view and you may or may not agree but these are my observations.

Coming from a 12 month old Note 4 I can say that the responsiveness of the 6Plus is lightening fast! Comparing it to my wife's or son's Galaxy S6, herein known as S6, there is little to no lag on the 6 Plus. I am so amazed at how fast the animations are within in 6Plus.

I've been on iOS for almost a month now. And I am not regretting it. I had an HTC One M9. I have the 6s Plus now.

Battery: I am not going to lie. I thought the smaller battery on the 6Plus was going to "suck". But I was so wrong! I am considered a super heavy user. With my Note 4 I would get no more than 2-3 hours, on a good day, watching videos on youtube, having my War of Nations on constantly and social media. With iOS I am seeing 6-7 hours of usage. This is amazing seeing that the iPhone battery is smaller than my Note 4 battery. The only bad thing is that with my Note 4 I can get a 50% charge in about 30 minutes whereas the 6Plus can take up to 2 hours, in my experience, to get a 50% charge. (Does anyone else have a faster charging iphone?)

Battery life is really good. A LOT better than my M9. I've gone all day and by the time I put on the charger I still had about 30(ish)% battery left.

Camera: The camera on the iPhone is great. I love taking pictures and to be honest use it as my daily device for photos. The pictures look amazing even when transferring them to my computer. Where the camera fails me is in the following. Aspect ration is 4:3 on the iPhone and you cannot change it. Whereas in Android you can choose your ratio from 16:9, 4:3 and 1:1. UHD option is there as well. Night pics? Forget about it. I compared pictures from my 6Plus and wife's S6. The S6 blew the 6Plus out of the water in night pics. All in all, I really love the camera on the 6Plus.

The camera is ok. It is better than the M9's for sure, but compared to my Lumia Icon, it still has a ways to go. The low light capabilities are mediocre at best. It is responsive and the slow-mo and panorama modes are cool.

Sound/Rings: Maybe I am missing the settings where I can change this and you can help. But one annoying thing about iOS is that one volume controls all sounds on the device, natively. Maybe there is an app out there that can change this. However, I miss the option of raising my text volume and lowering my phone and system volume independently. The vibrate button is a huge plus and makes the previous issue a non issue. So it cancels itself out in my opinion.

I like the speaker and where the speaker is placed. It is loud and crisp. One thing I would love for all manufactures to do is place the speakers on the front of the device. Here is a shout out to you HTC. With the 6S Plus ginormous bezels you figured they would have space for a speaker or two. (1st world problems)

It's not to bad audio wise. I usually listen to it via my car's infotainment system via USB. I haven't really tried listening via headphones.

ID TOUCH!!!! What more can I say. It is so fast and responsive! Some people complain it is too fast. I say it is perfect. I love how fast it opens my device so that I can get to my task at hand! Maybe I am being attacked on War of Nations and I need to get in game fast!!! :)

ID Touch IS slicker than whale snot. It's responsive. Yes, some complain about it's too fast, but those are people who are used to the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus. Coming from Android I'm used to using the power/sleep button to wake my phone for time and notifications.

Keyboard: The only thing I like about the keyboard is the long press on the space bar so you can move the cursor around to fix any mistakes. Other than that it is meh. I downloaded and use Swiftkey as my daily keyboard. I am biased of course because I have had Swiftkey since my Galaxy S2.

Yeah... Keyboard has a LOT to be desired. I tried Swype for iOS and found it...lacking. The auto-correct was horrendous.

OS Updating: I saved the best for last! Here I am on the most up to date OS while my Note 4 won't get Marshallow until God knows when! Yes, I could have purchased a Nexus device to get the updates quicker. Unicode is up to date and its funny that even my wife and son can't see my emoji's! Yes, this is probably the main reason I made the switch. No need to wait for a carrier to add their bloat ware to my device.

Not a factor in my purchase.

Screen: It might not be a QHD display but it is still crisp. Amazing how the display can be so clear! The UI and edges on the widgets is amazing. Even the letters are great and I use progressive glasses to read. I am very pleased with the display.

The display is really nice. Though, I though the display on my Icon and M9 were excellent too.

iOS simply just works! Are there some things I don't like? Of course. But there were some things I didn't like about Android either. While no operating system is perfect, it's what works for you the user. I will be staying with iOS and don't see myself going back to Android.

Yes it does, that is why I switched from Android. I will say though, that Windows 10 Mobile, "just works" too. The problem with W10M is lack of core apps I use and Microsoft let me down by not offering the 950/950XL with CDMA. Some of the things I miss is Miracast and Chromecast support. Shooting in RAW capture. Live tiles (W10M). Ability to customize beyond wallpaper.

I hope I didn't confuse you and made some sense in what I was trying to say. It is hard for me to put my thoughts on paper. That's why I didn't become an author! lol

I understood you completely.

P.S. If I download a word file, where do I find it? Not having a file manager is going to take some getting used to.

I don't know. I use OneDrive instead of iCloud. iOS integrates really well with it...better than Android. So when I open an Office Document, I open it from OneDrive directly.

J_Thomas

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
I made the switch and am regretting the fact that I didn't do it years ago! This 6S Plus is so smooth and just a joy to use...I am all in now with Apple!! I must confess..I've been hating on iPhone for years for dumb, small-minded political reasons...boy, was I wrong.
Biggest reason I switched was because I am so sick and tired of Android's fragmentation, not everybody is on the same version. It kills me having to wait numerous months for my latest flagship phone to be updated to newest version of Android which at that point is already outdated lol, it sucks! iPhone users can have their update the day it comes out, I love that!! Now that is taking care of your customers! Speaking of looking out for customers, that's another thing that opened my eyes about Apple. The Feds are mad at Apple because of the whole encryption thing and are trying to force Apple to put a backdoor in and let them in. Now I understand both sides of this debate, especially with everything going on globally, but I like Apple's stance on this. Customers put their trust in Apple and Apple is not backing down to the Feds. Apple values the trust of their customers and are putting up a fight to keep that trust. Google on the other hand is not like Apple and will let them in the backdoor no problem. No, I'm not a criminal like it probably sounds like lol. I just like the way Apple looks out for their customers.
I am really enjoying this 6S Plus! I've had every HTC flagship up to M9, which I ditched after a week and bought the S6 Edge. NONE of them compare to smoothness of this phone. The apps look a whole lot better on iOS vs. Android for sure!
Mark my words...I am never going back to Android! I am totally in with Apple!!

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
For file management, if I'm in Safari and want to download a PDF, Word doc, media file, etc.; can I directly save that to iCloud, OneDrive, Google Drive...?

I know that Readdle's Documents 5 has a local repository that provides the equivalent to a native "My Documents" or "My Files" that are available in Windows or Android. Documents 5 can then be used to move the file to the desired cloud storage service.

anon(39328)

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
Regarding the lack of front facing speaker, there are a few cases you can buy that will redirect the speaker to the front. I am using a Spigen Tech Armor case that does this.

anon(7901790)

Dec 24, 2015
Visit site
The Feds are mad at Apple because of the whole encryption thing and are trying to force Apple to put a backdoor in and let them in. Now I understand both sides of this debate, especially with everything going on globally, but I like Apple's stance on this. Customers put their trust in Apple and Apple is not backing down to the Feds. Apple values the trust of their customers and are putting up a fight to keep that trust. Google on the other hand is not like Apple and will let them in the backdoor no problem. No, I'm not a criminal like it probably sounds like lol. I just like the way Apple looks out for their customers.

Microsoft is the same way. Windows phones are encrypted automatically as well. With no performance hit. I think my biggest issue with my M9 was I think I took a HUGE performance hit once I encrypted it.

I am really enjoying this 6S Plus! I've had every HTC flagship up to M9, which I ditched after a week and bought the S6 Edge. NONE of them compare to smoothness of this phone. The apps look a whole lot better on iOS vs. Android for sure!
Mark my words...I am never going back to Android! I am totally in with Apple!!

The M9 is a hot mess. It's got a SD810 SoC (like the 950XL), yet it can barely operate after doing something like navigation.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

J_Thomas

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
Microsoft is the same way. Windows phones are encrypted automatically as well. With no performance hit. I think my biggest issue with my M9 was I think I took a HUGE performance hit once I encrypted it.

The M9 is a hot mess. It's got a SD810 SoC (like the 950XL), yet it can barely operate after doing something like navigation.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

M9 took a big step backwards. If you were to take the M8, turn on power saver mode and then watch a video, it would be the same as watching a video with M9 without power saver mode turned on. Video was way to dark, couldn't stand it, so I went to the dark side (Samsung). The display was spectacular, but cheesewiz (touchwiz) was horrible, along with the horrendous battery life. Samsung Pay on the other hand was pretty nice in comparison to Apple Pay. That is the only thing I miss, Samsung Pay...it worked everywhere. I've yet to use Apple Pay because the places I go it doesn't work. I really wish Apple could make a deal with Samsung and use their technology in that department! All in all I am so glad I switched!!

David Butt

Jul 24, 2015
Visit site
Sound/Rings: Maybe I am missing the settings where I can change this and you can help. But one annoying thing about iOS is that one volume controls all sounds on the device, natively. Maybe there is an app out there that can change this. However, I miss the option of raising my text volume and lowering my phone and system volume independently.

You can adjust ring volume separately from audio in settings. You can also choose louder, or quieter tones for your various uses, if you want them different in volume relative to one another.

Or get an Apple Watch, and it'll tap you on the wrist when a text arrives!

zocster

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
nice findings. I have both the note 5 and iPhone 6s+ and I am in a way torn between the two platform. I do prefer iOS however.

anon(7901790)

Dec 24, 2015
Visit site
M9 took a big step backwards. If you were to take the M8, turn on power saver mode and then watch a video, it would be the same as watching a video with M9 without power saver mode turned on. Video was way to dark, couldn't stand it, so I went to the dark side (Samsung). The display was spectacular, but cheesewiz (touchwiz) was horrible, along with the horrendous battery life. Samsung Pay on the other hand was pretty nice in comparison to Apple Pay. That is the only thing I miss, Samsung Pay...it worked everywhere. I've yet to use Apple Pay because the places I go it doesn't work. I really wish Apple could make a deal with Samsung and use their technology in that department! All in all I am so glad I switched!!

Fat chance of that. Apple wants to avoid being a licensee as much as possible. Apple pay can be used anywhere that NFC enabled credit/debit cards can be used...the cards with a chip. The places with that wifi looking symbol on the card swiper.

Universal_Contactless_Card_Symbol.svg.png

Tech_User16

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site

Unlike the iPhone you can switch your battery. I say that because you can not only easily switch them out but if your battery is or when it gets defective you can switch it. I would say something is wrong with your battery but way too many things are involved in battery life. I can get way more than 3-4 hours of use on a Note 4 battery. Any of the batteries at that. And if I wanted I could use another back and put a brick battery on it for a weeks usage.

I'm mainly using my 6s Plus now but when I was using my Nexus 6P it was another story. As much as I like the best multitasking on a smartphone the Note series offers the Nexus series offers a lot of pros that itself.

Ed Boland

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
For the camera, there's tons of third party camera apps that'll let you select different aspect ratios. I use Proshot (currently $1.99 and worth every penny!)

Also, as someone coming from a Nokia Lumia 1020 and 1520, I think the iPhone 6S Plus does quite well in low light scenarios.

comiken205

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
I wanted to update on my battery. I guess it took longer than normal to condition my battery. I have been getting quicker charges and my battery is lasting about 10 hours. I consider myself a super heavy user and this is great news!!!

comiken205

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
For the camera, there's tons of third party camera apps that'll let you select different aspect ratios. I use Proshot (currently $1.99 and worth every penny!)

Also, as someone coming from a Nokia Lumia 1020 and 1520, I think the iPhone 6S Plus does quite well in low light scenarios.

I'll will give this app a try. I see people talking about Camera+ as well but looking at the app it is too complicated for me. I just want to shoot, save and share. I'm no the type that tweaks, changes, corrects and then saves the pictures taken. I'm a Type A and want stuff now. lol

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro