What camera app do you guys use? Any recommendations?

mr_coldharbour

Dec 26, 2015
Visit site
- For taking quick photos I use the stock iOS Camera app.

- For photos where I need to take my time and focus on a specific item and require manual controls, I use an app called Manual, or sometimes Camera+.

- For editing: VSCO, Snapseed and Pixelmator (especially if I need to remove any lens flare or something that's making the photo look bad).

anon(7901790)

Dec 24, 2015
Visit site
You want RAW? You do realize they take up a huge amount of storage space? Even a TIFF takes up a lot of storage. You can get TIFF with a few 3rd party Camera apps. Shoot offers TIFF. But one photo is 48 mb. ProCamera +HDR offers TIFF and TIFF LZW.

Oh I know how much space RAW capture uses. I have a Canon EOS-6d DSLR which is 20MP. Each RAW image is approximately 20MB per...

TIFF is not RAW though. It is just an uncompressed image. RAW allows me more post processing control; for example I can adjust exposure up to +/- 4 stops, and change white balance. Something you can't do in a non-RAW image.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Oh I know how much space RAW capture uses. I have a Canon EOS-6d DSLR which is 20MP. Each RAW image is approximately 20MB per...

TIFF is not RAW though. It is just an uncompressed image. RAW allows me more post processing control; for example I can adjust exposure up to +/- 4 stops, and change white balance. Something you can't do in a non-RAW image.

That's fine for a Canon, but most smartphone users wouldn't want photos taking that much space. It's bad enough as it is with 2mb photos. Maybe an app for professional use with RAW. But it's just not practical for the majority of users.

anon(7901790)

Dec 24, 2015
Visit site
That's fine for a Canon, but most smartphone users wouldn't want photos taking that much space. It's bad enough as it is with 2mb photos. Maybe an app for professional use with RAW. But it's just not practical for the majority of users.

My Lumia Icon had only 32GB of storage and shooting RAW with it's 20MP camera didn't eat up a lot of storage. The 4K video though, THAT ate up storage real quick.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

xderiwx

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
Re: Camera app?

Camera+ for the longest time but trying out Obscura. Camera+ is always a safe bet though.

How are you liking Obscura? I've been wanting to try it, but can't find any documentation on exactly how the controls work.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
My Lumia Icon had only 32GB of storage and shooting RAW with it's 20MP camera didn't eat up a lot of storage. The 4K video though, THAT ate up storage real quick.

1080p HD will eat up space as well. And it depends on how many photos you have. Thing is, many iPhone users will put several thousand photos on their phone.

anon(7901790)

Dec 24, 2015
Visit site
1080p HD will eat up space as well. And it depends on how many photos you have. Thing is, many iPhone users will put several thousand photos on their phone.

And those people would still be able to take their several thousand photos. Enabling RAW capture doesn't mean it that would be the default setting. All it means is allowing users to have a CHOICE. If you want to use JPG capture you have the choice.

We have a choice between 1080p and 4K, so why not a choice between RAW and JPG capture?

Apple has included some really good hardware in its devices, and then purposely limits its potential.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234