Battery Charging

suken123

Jul 25, 2015
Visit site
I always keep the phone plugged into the charger at work all day. Will that harm the batter in the long run

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I shouldn't worry about it. The batteries in these phones have an auto shut off to prevent them from being over-charged.

The worst thing you can do is let the battery completely drop to zero.

mr_coldharbour

Dec 26, 2015
Visit site
I shouldn't worry about it. The batteries in these phones have an auto shut off to prevent them from being over-charged.

The worst thing you can do is let the battery completely drop to zero.

I thought it was recommended to do this once a month and not more (or once in a while). I ran it down to 0 only once during the 1st few days after purchase after it was charged to 100% (left it an additional hour passed 100% to fully charge), I only did this to calibrate the battery and don't intend on running it to 0, not for a while at least. Is this OK or did I do harm to my new iPhone 6S Plus?

Adawg1203

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I thought it was recommended to do this once a month and not more (or once in a while). I ran it down to 0 only once during the 1st few days after purchase after it was charged to 100% (left it an additional hour passed 100% to fully charge), I only did this to calibrate the battery and don't intend on running it to 0, not for a while at least. Is this OK or did I do harm to my new iPhone 6S Plus?

There's no harm to your battery at this stage. However, I wouldn't make it a habit. Completely draining your battery decreases the longevity of it. Charging normally going forward is all you need to do.

Chief G-Hawk

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't hurt to drain the battery once in a while but don't make it a habit. Maybe like once very 2-3 month. Or if you all of the sudden notice the % indicator went down a bit and the next thing you now the % went back up. Then you may need to recalibrate the readings.

mr_coldharbour

Dec 26, 2015
Visit site
There's no harm to your battery at this stage. However, I wouldn't make it a habit. Completely draining your battery decreases the longevity of it. Charging normally going forward is all you need to do.

Exactly my point, I don't intend to make this a habit:yes:

I usually put mine on the charger when I get the first alert at 20%. I charge it to about 85%.

That's what I also do on the Mac, to extend its battery's longevity. Keeping it between 20%?80/85%.

It doesn't hurt to drain the battery once in a while but don't make it a habit. Maybe like once very 2-3 month. Or if you all of the sudden notice the % indicator went down a bit and the next thing you now the % went back up. Then you may need to recalibrate the readings.

My thoughts exactly.:yes:

klam28

Jan 5, 2016
Visit site
Since I've gotten my iPhone 6, I've been hesitant to leave it charging overnight. Recently, I've been using BatteryLife to monitor my battery's health and it reported that my battery currently holds 86% of it's original capacity. This leads me to believe that the my charging habits haven't exactly improved my battery's lifespan, if after a little over a year it's health has dropped 14%. For the record, it has gone through approximately 350 charge cycles to this point. I now use a battery case and it is one of the best decisions I have made.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I have always charges my iPhones overnight, and never had a problem. Keep in mind I usually upgrade once a year so I don't think I have owned a iPhone long enough to determine the long term degradation.

Khizer Hayat2

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
I get home with 45-50% charge and normally browse through imore forum and receive a few calls and whatsapp and sms. Sometimes my battery goes to 13% and i lock it down to have dinner and usually when i wake my iPhone it shows only 3-5%, is this a problem? And secondly when i insert charger at times it immediately rises by good 5-8%. And charges real quick till 50%, is this serious too? In yes is it safe to keep it on charging overnight? Thank u

mr_coldharbour

Dec 26, 2015
Visit site
Since I've gotten my iPhone 6, I've been hesitant to leave it charging overnight. Recently, I've been using BatteryLife to monitor my battery's health and it reported that my battery currently holds 86% of it's original capacity. This leads me to believe that the my charging habits haven't exactly improved my battery's lifespan, if after a little over a year it's health has dropped 14%. For the record, it has gone through approximately 350 charge cycles to this point. I now use a battery case and it is one of the best decisions I have made.

I use BatteryLife when I'm jailbroken as well. What I did with my iPhone 6 was I did a full-charge cycle (from 0–100 and leave it plugged in for an extra hour passed 100% to fully calibrate) once every 2-3 months, otherwise I'd plug it in as soon as it drops to 20% and unplug when it reaches the mid-80s. This is so as to reduce the number of charge/power-cycles. Basically, if your phone drops below 21% and you plug it till 100% it'll count as a full charge/power-cycle and its best to keep this as low a number as possible. According to Apple, at 500 charge/power-cycles your iPhone will retain equal to or less than 80% of its battery capacity, at which point the battery is no good and will discharge much faster than originally.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal