Use iPhone 6s Plus as iPod or Tablet device only

Wamp Wamp

Jan 3, 2016
Visit site
I have another smartphone that I plan on using for my primary device. I plan on using my iPhone 6s Plus as an iPod and Tablet device only. I'm also playing with the thought about activating a prepaid SIM just to keep in the device but I'm not sure yet.

Is there anyone out there who currently uses their iPhone 6s Plus as an iPod or Tablet only?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm not. My iPhone 6S Plus is my current daily driver. Having said that, my iPhone 6 Plus is relegated to being my backup and I've removed the SIM card from it and keep it in Airplane Mode with a Wi-Fi connection. I sometimes use it to play games that I've not installed on my 6S Plus. Anyway, why buy a prepaid SIM for a device that's not going to be your primary device, especially one that can use the SIM card that's in your 6S Plus if you ever feel the need to swap phones for a period of time?

shanghaichica

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
If you already have the 6S plus then you can keep it and use it as you describe. However if you haven't purchased it yet I'd advise getting an iPad mini 4/2 or iPod touch 6th gen as they can both function as an iPod and the mini as a tablet. They are significantly cheaper. For me personally the iPhone 6S plus would be a wasted if it were only used as an iPod or tablet. I'm not someone who can keep two phones as one will always be wasted. I tried getting the note 4 to use as a secondary device with my 6 plus but I had to return it as I was barely using the note. The 6 plus was my daily driver and I just kept using it. I found that I was forcing myself to use the note because it was there and I'd paid ?600 for it. I knew that eventually it would just be collecting dust so I returned it.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I have another smartphone that I plan on using for my primary device. I plan on using my iPhone 6s Plus as an iPod and Tablet device only. I'm also playing with the thought about activating a prepaid SIM just to keep in the device but I'm not sure yet.

Is there anyone out there who currently uses their iPhone 6s Plus as an iPod or Tablet only?

I'm assuming the other smartphone is a non-iOS device? If so, your plan doesn't sound that bad, assuming the new smartphone can't do the things all-in-one that the iPhone can. The iPhone (particularly the Plus) can be all the things you want in one device. Debatable whether it's a "tablet" at that size but if you're considering it I assume you feel it's large enough. I'm thinking the iPad Mini as mentioned above might be a better bet if you're really looking for a tablet but still want something relatively portable.

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Will the prepaid service act as the data for the device? That's a good idea; especially if you're other device isn't an iOS device.

My 6s Plus is my daily driver and could only imagine using it as something other if I decide to keep it when the next gen comes out.

Bad Larry

Feb 3, 2016
Visit site
When I am out of the house, my 6S Plus is used for everything I need. When I am home, I use my iPad Mini 4 for everything except a phone for which I use the 6S Plus. With my  Watch in conjunction, it's a great synergy with plenty of room for all three in service.

MooMooPrincess

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site

I do since I have the worst luck with iOS and iphones in general. But I switch my DD and slave smartphone every few months.

anon(41073)

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
I will be using my iPhone 6 as an iPod once I get my S7 Edge.Right now I am back and forth between an iPhone 6 and a Galaxy S4 as my DD's As usual I will still continue to monitor IOS. Maybe once IOS gets a major update, I will go back to using an iPhone as my DD. In it's current form, IOS is just way too limited for my tastes.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro