Have you switched from a Note 5? Hindsight Appreciated!

SquireSCA

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Oh, also... Got my Visual Voicemail back...

Not the version that Apple calls Visual Voicemail where all it does is let you pick which one to listen to... THe kind that Android has had for 3+ years where it transcribes it for you, so if you are in a meeting or on a call and can't listen to it, you can READ the voicemail...

Yeah, I know that there is a way to get it on an iPhone, but it requires you to configure your iPhone to make use of.... Google Voice... So in the end the iPhone can't make use of a 3 year old feature without Google's help. haha

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
You both make good points, and I agree that there are benefits to either platform... Now that I have been back on Android for a couple weeks, I can tell you this...

The UI on Android, I feel is better. It's easier to multitask with desktop widgets and I like being able to lay out my desktops the way that makes getting to the information that I want, faster and easier... If your computer wouldn't let you arrange icons and stuff the way you wanted, it would annoy your, right?

Well, screen real estate on a smartphone is at an even greater premium, so setting it up MY way is important to me...

The ability to use it as a Flash drive, is important... At my friend's house the other day and he had downloaded Season 2 of, ironically, the CW's The Flash tv show... I handed him my phone and said hey, drag and drop it to my phone so I can toss it on my media server when I get home...

Able to do this, from his Macbook onto my Android device, no software, no apps, no workarounds with iTunes, no having to push it to the cloud and then have me download it later... I didn't bring a flash drive with me, it was an impulse, and I can just hand him my phone and drag and drop it, done...

Siri, is awful. Google Now is where its at. Faster results, more accurate results and it just "does things"... I remember the first time my phone popped up a reminder for a trip I had booked for work... I didn't even have it on my calendar... But Google read my Gmail and looked at the itinerary, saw the flight info, looked up and noticed that not only had the gate changed, but that there was traffic downtown and it new where I was at that moment because of GPS, so it calculated how early I had to leave and what route to take to arrive at my new gate on time...

I didn't have to set any reminders, I didn't have to schedule anything... It just DID IT without even asking. That's cool.

Android Auto, much better than Car Play... The interface is nicer, the graphics and screens are much nicer looking, better graphics and layout, and it scales better to my 8" NAV screen... CarPlay has icons the size of an oreo cookie and just doesn't look right.... the scale is off, its too bare bones and looks outdated. Also, I could have Car Play read my texts to me, but it would put them on the screen for me to actually read, like Android does...

It just seems like Android put more thought and features into their platform...

The phone is FAST, like really fast, and battery life so far is excellent... The screen is the same size and quality as the 6s+, but the phone itself is smaller, thinner and lighter...

I can't think of a single thing that the iPhone did, that this phone doesn't do. But there is quite a decent list of things that this phone does, that the iPhone can't do, or if it can, it does it half-a$$ed through some limited and clunky workaround...

Someone sends me an email attachment, I just save it to the drive like you do on your computer, so I can attach it to another email later, or just pop it up and view it whenever I want with whatever default app that I get to choose...

It sounds like the OnePlus 3 is winning for you, that's awesome. I'm sorry that I liked so many of your posts at once, but I just had to agree with a lot of your posts here. I have been using Android for close to 2 weeks now, and I'm glad to be back in customization land.

I can't recall who said it but I think some people have different ideas of customization than what some of us would like to do. Yes there is rooting customization but that's not what is meant every time for customization.

SquireSCA

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
It sounds like the OnePlus 3 is winning for you, that's awesome. I'm sorry that I liked so many of your posts at once, but I just had to agree with a lot of your posts here. I have been using Android for close to 2 weeks now, and I'm glad to be back in customization land.

I can't recall who said it but I think some people have different ideas of customization than what some of us would like to do. Yes there is rooting customization but that's not what is meant every time for customization.

Yeah, I don't even root any more...

I can customize just about anything that I want, in stock form. Don't like the icon pack and fonts? Install new ones... Don't see the widget you want, install it...

It has to do more with laying things out in a way that creates inefficiencies and promotes how you want to work...

A slab of icons that you have to put into folders, is a digital version of the same way one that one would organize their office with filing cabinets in the 1970's... It's archaic, bland, boring and inefficient... That's iOS.

I doubletap my screen to turn it off, I doubletap it again to turn it on.

I waive my hand over the phone as it sits on the table, to see if I have any messages or alerts...

I set up my screens with widgets that I can just flick through to see what's going on... Icons that I don't need or rarely use? They sit in the app drawer, not stuff into a "Misc" folder on the desktop to try and hide them and unclutter things...

Even things like settings. Go into your iPhone 6s and try to find the settings for the super slow motion frames per second setting, without using the search feature. It will take you several minutes, it is so buried and counter-intuitive.

On Android, the settings for video, are actually IN THE VIDEO APP ITSELF, where it belongs... You launch the camera and all the settings are right there, not buried 5 levels deep in the main settings menu... Imagine that, having settings for the app you are using, actually in that app. Crazy, right? haha

There are so many little things like that... things that Apple just hasn't thought through...

Damien_Eternal

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I find that I like the way Apple does their settings. It doesn't bother me. All the settings for all the apps are in one place and once you learn where they are it doesn't take long to find them.

This just goes to show how we all work differently. Back when I first started my job I carried a flash drive with me constantly. It was just the way my job worked so I've always got one on me even now. It's just a habit. So not having my iPhone work as a flash drive is not an inconvenience to me.

I know there are lots of features that android has that iOS does not, at least not without a workaround. As I said before though, it works for me so why change?

Dukins

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I like both platform. Currently have 7edge and 6s+. After going back and forth between the 2 platforms over the years, it seems Android users are always explaining why android is better and driving the point home nauseating. Rarely do you see the opposite. Obviously, iphone users really don't care what the os does or how its better, they are using what works for them. Little simple for me, when I am tired of a os, I switch phones. Android/IOS discussions always go left field.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I like both platform. Currently have 7edge and 6s+. After going back and forth between the 2 platforms over the years, it seems Android users are always explaining why android is better and driving the point home nauseating. Rarely do you see the opposite. Obviously, iphone users really don't care what the os does or how its better, they are using what works for them. Little simple for me, when I am tired of a os, I switch phones. Android/IOS discussions always go left field.

I'm also a fan of both platforms, and I see the same stuff from both sides. Each stating definitively why their platform of choice is the correct one. But I also have serious issues with both platforms, which is why I have such a hard time sticking to one. If I had enough disposable income, I'd have an Android phone, nice Chromebook, Android TV, Windows 10 laptop, iPhone, iPad Pro, MacBook, and Apple TV. But that's just a pipe dream right now.

SquireSCA

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
I'm also a fan of both platforms, and I see the same stuff from both sides. Each stating definitively why their platform of choice is the correct one. But I also have serious issues with both platforms, which is why I have such a hard time sticking to one. If I had enough disposable income, I'd have an Android phone, nice Chromebook, Android TV, Windows 10 laptop, iPhone, iPad Pro, MacBook, and Apple TV. But that's just a pipe dream right now.

I have to say, I am digging my Chromebook. It is a bit limited at the moment but Google announced that they are merging Android and ChromeOS so that Chromebooks will have the Google Play store installed and be able to run ANY Android app, naively... That's pretty cool, and creates a much more functional platform...

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I have to say, I am digging my Chromebook. It is a bit limited at the moment but Google announced that they are merging Android and ChromeOS so that Chromebooks will have the Google Play store installed and be able to run ANY Android app, naively... That's pretty cool, and creates a much more functional platform...

For what I need a portable device for, a Chromebook would be perfect for me. And it'll be even nicer when they get Google Play on them. MacOS is nice, but it doesn't have full access to the App Store. If it did, that would be a huge win. I think Macs really need touchscreens. We're becoming so used to touching screens to interact, it's just a logical progression.

Truman82

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
7edge here and will come back top iPhone when the 7 gets released. Don't get me wrong this phone is very good but i just miss 2 much certain things only ios can provide. For example in-app unified search, and Siri supports my native language better than Google does.

SquireSCA

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
7edge here and will come back top iPhone when the 7 gets released. Don't get me wrong this phone is very good but i just miss 2 much certain things only ios can provide. For example in-app unified search, and Siri supports my native language better than Google does.

Yeah, Android had in app unified search in 2012, and later dropped it... Not sure what he reason was, maybe it didn't work well, or maybe they found that nobody used it...

sp44

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
Doesn't the 6GB in the OnePlus 3 kinda make you think, wow, do we really need that much in a phone? That's more than my PC. To me that just says how inefficient Android is. It's great for all the people in love with specs. I mean of course the phone is fast. Isn't every new flagship phone fast when it comes out? Then you use it and get updates and it gets slower and slower again. Or the battery life tanks. I've had tons of Android phones, I keep coming back to the one that works without hiccups, the iPhone.

SquireSCA

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
My gaming PC has 32GB, so in my case it doesn't seem like that much. haha

Where it makes a difference is in multitasking and smoothness. I can have a gazillion apps open and see no difference in performance, and calling up an app is faster because it doesn't have to kill an app and load the new one due to the iPhone's 2GB limit. Get a utility for the iPhone that shows memory usage... My iPad Air 2 struggles with 2GB... I get lag and page reloads when browsing and have to manually flush and close background apps all the time... Reboot the device, and the OS and processes use up 1.1gb before loading a single app.

No such issues with 6GB.

So far, I have zero regrets going to the OnePlus 3 from the 6s+

Nogitsune Micah

May 25, 2013
Visit site
My guy uses an iphone 6s plus and instantly appreciates the fact that the phone actually works and doesn't feel like it's using an OS THAT feels like it is a work in progress. As he said when he used android it felt more like partly trying to.be just like ios but then trying to be better with features that feel line crap in the end. Haha

SquireSCA

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
So basically he just didn't know how to use it? LOL

Android isn't trying to be like iOS. iOS has moved more and more towards Android over the years, mainly because the market and their own customers demanded it. Not in so many words, but in the features that they ask for over and over again...

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77