Have you switched from a Note 5? Hindsight Appreciated!

Damien_Eternal

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I can respect that. If it works, by all means, use it.

I had several early iPhones... but lackign features and constantly dropping calls forced me to Android and I was there for 5 years. I have an iPad Air 2 that I love, and I decided, what the hell, I will give the 6s+ a shot.

It was a downgrade in every way but battery life... It is lacking in MANY ways... And some of those, can be cured with apps and workarounds and carrying other devices, etc... But then I realized, why do all of that when there is already a platform that doesn't require me to? LOL

I have to say, this phone is amazing... I don't know how they do it for that price, but so far this thing is giving any Nexus I have owned, or Galaxy, a run for their money...

https://forums.imore.com/e?link=htt...=https%3A%2F%2Foneplus.net%2F3&token=qHzT9QsW

EverythingApplePro gave a review of that one as compared to the 6s. He liked the OnePlus quite a bit, but again the thing that ruins it for me is the fact that it likely runs some sort of add on UI like the TouchWiz of Samsung devices, right? That right there would force me to a Nexus if I would go with android again.

SquireSCA

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
It is about 95% straight Google. They added a few things like menu options, the ability to change fonts and color, a couple notification tweaks and the cool features I posted in bullet points above.

It's as close to a Nexus device without being a Nexus device.

I looked at the Nexus 6P, but for the 64GB unit it was $150 more, and using last year's processor and I didn't feel like waiting till the fall... this was the best bang for the buck out there...

Damien_Eternal

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
It is about 95% straight Google. They added a few things like menu options, the ability to change fonts and color, a couple notification tweaks and the cool features I posted in bullet points above.

It's as close to a Nexus device without being a Nexus device.

I looked at the Nexus 6P, but for the 64GB unit it was $150 more, and using last year's processor and I didn't feel like waiting till the fall... this was the best bang for the buck out there...

That may make it worth looking at then.

Nogitsune Micah

May 25, 2013
Visit site
That may make it worth looking at then.

Still wouldn't recommend Android in the least tbh.
And Oneplus has horrible support (especially for an Android OEM) from what I've heard/read on their subreddit for past models as well. It is half the price of an iPhone 6S with some great specs but do realize they do have to cut corners somewhere as well.

SquireSCA

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Still wouldn't recommend Android in the least tbh.
And Oneplus has horrible support (especially for an Android OEM) from what I've heard/read on their subreddit for past models as well. It is half the price of an iPhone 6S with some great specs but do realize they do have to cut corners somewhere as well.

Why wouldn't you recommend it? Specifics. :)

Nogitsune Micah

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Why wouldn't you recommend it? Specifics. :)

As I said their support sucks. When I was looking for an Android phone for my mom I wanted to get a one plus 2 and what I read troubled me.
Great devices based on specs but the customer service alone made me skeptical.

People receiving broken devices. Devices not booting up.

People accused of water or various damage when trying to get warranty claims. But they in fact could prove it wasnt true.

Having poor support response time where customers were waiting weeks for replies.

They were utilizing chargers that don't follow the standards for USB and had to issue refunds/excjanges for them. There rumblings of broken otg functionality for the op2 that led them to be unanswered.

The hardware looks great and it is technically better than much Android crap you can get. But it is still Android so crap is crap lol. In all seriousness though they have to cut corners somewhere and when people harp on its price being held of the iPhone I then go but what about the full package.

We dont just buy phones for the specs. We buy phones because of the ecosystem. We buy phones because of the software and support from the company.

When the companies can provide the same support level as apple or even a 1/4 of it at the current prices they sell their devices I would be impressed.

I got many of my sources from xda and the very Reddit for one plus even their own support forims. A user on Reddit said it is like a lottery and honestly wouldn't want a phone where it is a lottery on getting a quality experience.

SquireSCA

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
As I said their support sucks. When I was looking for an Android phone for my mom I wanted to get a one plus 2 and what I read troubled me.
Great devices based on specs but the customer service alone made me skeptical.

People receiving broken devices. Devices not booting up.

People accused of water or various damage when trying to get warranty claims. But they in fact could prove it wasnt true.

Having poor support response time where customers were waiting weeks for replies.

They were utilizing chargers that don't follow the standards for USB and had to issue refunds/excjanges for them. There rumblings of broken otg functionality for the op2 that led them to be unanswered.

The hardware looks great and it is technically better than much Android crap you can get. But it is still Android so crap is crap lol. In all seriousness though they have to cut corners somewhere and when people harp on its price being held of the iPhone I then go but what about the full package.

We dont just buy phones for the specs. We buy phones because of the ecosystem. We buy phones because of the software and support from the company.

When the companies can provide the same support level as apple or even a 1/4 of it at the current prices they sell their devices I would be impressed.

I got many of my sources from xda and the very Reddit for one plus even their own support forims. A user on Reddit said it is like a lottery and honestly wouldn't want a phone where it is a lottery on getting a quality experience.

1) That's one model of phone from one manufacturer. That isn't "Android"...

2) Forums make poor sources of info if that is all you use. People who have problems tend to go online and post in a forum... people who have phones that work fine, don't. There's no need, they are out using their devices and happy. The forums can give a very skewed view of things because it's mainly the people having issues that use them. You might say "Yeah, but I saw a hundred people complaining!"... out of a million units sold, or more... That's nothing, statistically... I can find the same posts in Apple forums for various Apple devices that people are having issues with.

3) Google has a fine ecosystem. Lots of cool services. How adept are you at both iOS and Android Ecosystems and their corresponding devices? I have years of experience of running the two side by side, on a variety of devices. My experience with Android isn't limited to reading what someone said about one device that isn't even sold any more... I have had 4 iPhones and an iPad Air 2, and 6 or 7 Android phones, many Windows gaming machines, a Hackintosh, many Linux machines, a chromebook, etc... In fact at the moment I have an Android phone, an iPad, a Win10 desktop, a Win10 laptop, a Linux laptop and a chromebook all sitting within 4 feet of me... Again, I feel fairly competent to give the real world details of any of them because I actually have and use the devices.

I think you are falling into the trap of you drank the koolaid and love the Apple ecosystem... but what you "know" about the other is largely anecdotal and hearsay that more often than not is very limited, outdated or inaccurate... similar to the other guy who felt that Apple had the edge because they would be coming out with an accessibilty feature that his vision requires, in September... not realizing that Android has had it since 2014...

Sometimes you don't know what you don't know...

So I will ask you, what is your ACTUAL experience with Android?

Nogitsune Micah

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I notice a sentiment with android users :) When you criticize the OS, it is often met with the response "you are basing this on outdated experience or you have little experience"

To clarify, while I have personal experience with Apple.....If any Kool-Aid would have been MS as I am an avid MS 'fanboy' and I am a WP user.
Since you asked I can also clarify, my android experience began with the G1 in 2008.

I have well over 60-70 android phones I have used.
I made my dad drive me to the Verizon store to get the very first Moto and then became a regular there as I kept exchanging between the Droid Eris and the Moto

These were the first Droids(I later moved onto other droid models) before we switched to Sprint.

I had the first '4g' phone in the Evo 4G and used Wimax...i joined rhe short-lived 3D craze.

I remember Moto's phones such as the backflip and other crappy moto phones that had that craptastic motoblur UI.

I switched to Att and had quite a few models.

I had phones like the Sony Xperia Play (the playstation phone) and the X10(i remember when Sony used that UI).

I even owned crticially panned phones like the Kyocera Echo where it had the two touch screens and it was god awful ugly but it was kind of cool (shame that it has never been replicated since).

I have owned the first 5 Galaxy devices. I owned the original Nexus, Nexus S 4G, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4 and 5x.

Meaning i have been with Android since Cupcake i believe (1.5) was called up until whatever version was on it when i officially left it for good earlier this year on my 5X.

So i think my android experience is vast ;)

(Spoiler: HTC Droid DNA is literally my favorite android design ever)

Onward to your points

1. You are absolutely right. It is one android...but it is quite popular.
Not some piece of crap android device (like many android fanatics try to use to explain why performance may suck).

Look at last year's LG G4 which is a high end flagship that has a notorious bad reputation due to it's boot loop issue.

I can point to severl android devices from various OEMs, across various price points that have issues.

Most complaints come with the fact that the phone requires higher specs (when other OSes run just fine on less specs btw) or the fact that the software implementation on the phones is buggy or outdated. Leaving users with having to download custom launchers to try and fix issues.

leads them to rooting to get proper updates or praying that updates will come soon.

2. I didnt say anything about the amouint of users posting negative complaints. I am an expert when it comes to deciphering the good and bad about products.

I do however, visit these forums to get an idea of what issues exist for a product. You are absolutely right, more people complain than praise. But it's those complaints you should listen to as well.

how else would i have known about the LG's boott loop issue and i almost brought that phone for someone. I read many good reviews but i also read that there is a chance i get stuck with those issues.

I am not going off speculation. I am going off REAL USER experience and video evidence.

3. Google's ecosystem is fine for you.

None of their products appeal to me outside youtube and i dislike the fact it is a google service. I use Bing, Outlook, Onedrive, Cortana, Windows 10, Xbox, and various other Microsoft products and services.

I own a surface Pro and a Surface Book. I also have a Mac that never gets used really. I have an iPad.

I have experience with Chromebooks(newsflash, they suck imo).

I use iTunes and Groove for music purchasing. I use Spotify and Pandora for streaming.

Google has a fantastic ecosystem.....but so do Apple and Microsoft.

I also keep up regualrly with Android update version. I previously worked for a carrier so I like to know about ALL OS and their features and abilities and Google's services and new projects.

if anything my IOS/Apple experience is far weaker than my MS and Google experience. (Shhh dont tell my boss).

Do you have any other questions for me or do i need to further explain my familiarity with Android to prove why i am well-versed in knowing why Android sucksfor me and why I choose Windows Phone and my iPhone as dual partners.

i'll be happy to further clarify if need be, mate :)

1) That's one model of phone from one manufacturer. That isn't "Android"...

2) Forums make poor sources of info if that is all you use. People who have problems tend to go online and post in a forum... people who have phones that work fine, don't. There's no need, they are out using their devices and happy. The forums can give a very skewed view of things because it's mainly the people having issues that use them. You might say "Yeah, but I saw a hundred people complaining!"... out of a million units sold, or more... That's nothing, statistically... I can find the same posts in Apple forums for various Apple devices that people are having issues with.

3) Google has a fine ecosystem. Lots of cool services. How adept are you at both iOS and Android Ecosystems and their corresponding devices? I have years of experience of running the two side by side, on a variety of devices. My experience with Android isn't limited to reading what someone said about one device that isn't even sold any more... I have had 4 iPhones and an iPad Air 2, and 6 or 7 Android phones, many Windows gaming machines, a Hackintosh, many Linux machines, a chromebook, etc... In fact at the moment I have an Android phone, an iPad, a Win10 desktop, a Win10 laptop, a Linux laptop and a chromebook all sitting within 4 feet of me... Again, I feel fairly competent to give the real world details of any of them because I actually have and use the devices.

I think you are falling into the trap of you drank the koolaid and love the Apple ecosystem... but what you "know" about the other is largely anecdotal and hearsay that more often than not is very limited, outdated or inaccurate... similar to the other guy who felt that Apple had the edge because they would be coming out with an accessibilty feature that his vision requires, in September... not realizing that Android has had it since 2014...

Sometimes you don't know what you don't know...

So I will ask you, what is your ACTUAL experience with Android?

Nogitsune Micah

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Now that I think of it....this doesn't even equate the smartphones I had before Android in 2008

My Windows Mobile devices (the original Winmo) with its horrid resistive touch screen. I did like the HTC Imagio and the HD2 though.

And then before that(or after maybe) I had the original Blackberry Storm which was tragic.....

and my side-kicks lol.

Plus my nextels.

And that's not counting my massive collection of windows phone since 2012...
Jesus, I am glad I got that phone problem of mine under control lolol

SquireSCA

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
I notice a sentiment with android users :) When you criticize the OS, it is often met with the response "you are basing this on outdated experience or you have little experience"

To clarify, while I have personal experience with Apple.....If any Kool-Aid would have been MS as I am an avid MS 'fanboy' and I am a WP user.
Since you asked I can also clarify, my android experience began with the G1 in 2008.

I have well over 60-70 android phones I have used.
I made my dad drive me to the Verizon store to get the very first Moto and then became a regular there as I kept exchanging between the Droid Eris and the Moto

These were the first Droids(I later moved onto other droid models) before we switched to Sprint.

I had the first '4g' phone in the Evo 4G and used Wimax...i joined rhe short-lived 3D craze.

I remember Moto's phones such as the backflip and other crappy moto phones that had that craptastic motoblur UI.

I switched to Att and had quite a few models.

I had phones like the Sony Xperia Play (the playstation phone) and the X10(i remember when Sony used that UI).

I even owned crticially panned phones like the Kyocera Echo where it had the two touch screens and it was god awful ugly but it was kind of cool (shame that it has never been replicated since).

I have owned the first 5 Galaxy devices. I owned the original Nexus, Nexus S 4G, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4 and 5x.

Meaning i have been with Android since Cupcake i believe (1.5) was called up until whatever version was on it when i officially left it for good earlier this year on my 5X.

So i think my android experience is vast ;)

(Spoiler: HTC Droid DNA is literally my favorite android design ever)

Onward to your points

1. You are absolutely right. It is one android...but it is quite popular.
Not some piece of crap android device (like many android fanatics try to use to explain why performance may suck).

Look at last year's LG G4 which is a high end flagship that has a notorious bad reputation due to it's boot loop issue.

I can point to severl android devices from various OEMs, across various price points that have issues.

Most complaints come with the fact that the phone requires higher specs (when other OSes run just fine on less specs btw) or the fact that the software implementation on the phones is buggy or outdated. Leaving users with having to download custom launchers to try and fix issues.

leads them to rooting to get proper updates or praying that updates will come soon.

2. I didnt say anything about the amouint of users posting negative complaints. I am an expert when it comes to deciphering the good and bad about products.

I do however, visit these forums to get an idea of what issues exist for a product. You are absolutely right, more people complain than praise. But it's those complaints you should listen to as well.

how else would i have known about the LG's boott loop issue and i almost brought that phone for someone. I read many good reviews but i also read that there is a chance i get stuck with those issues.

I am not going off speculation. I am going off REAL USER experience and video evidence.

3. Google's ecosystem is fine for you.

None of their products appeal to me outside youtube and i dislike the fact it is a google service. I use Bing, Outlook, Onedrive, Cortana, Windows 10, Xbox, and various other Microsoft products and services.

I own a surface Pro and a Surface Book. I also have a Mac that never gets used really. I have an iPad.

I have experience with Chromebooks(newsflash, they suck imo).

I use iTunes and Groove for music purchasing. I use Spotify and Pandora for streaming.

Google has a fantastic ecosystem.....but so do Apple and Microsoft.

I also keep up regualrly with Android update version. I previously worked for a carrier so I like to know about ALL OS and their features and abilities and Google's services and new projects.

if anything my IOS/Apple experience is far weaker than my MS and Google experience. (Shhh dont tell my boss).

Do you have any other questions for me or do i need to further explain my familiarity with Android to prove why i am well-versed in knowing why Android sucksfor me and why I choose Windows Phone and my iPhone as dual partners.

i'll be happy to further clarify if need be, mate :)

Well, you explained why you had an issue with the LG phone and another, but that doesn't really answer the question of why you think ANDROID sucks... haha

And you do have experience that rivals my own, so that's good, if unusual for an Apple fan. ;-)

What never makes sense to me is if someone says. "Brand X works for me"... Well, that may be true, but Brand Y does everything that Brand X does and a whole lot more, so why would Brand X be better than Brand Y?

Look at the most commonly asked for features for iOS, from APPLE users... current customers...

Almost all of them are Android features. What does that tell you?

Why stick with "your brand" if the things that you want, are things that you have to practically beg them for, and that the competition is already offering them?

All that said, I am loving this phone so far. Battery life is great, lots of very cool, well-thought out touches....

Nogitsune Micah

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Well, you explained why you had an issue with the LG phone and another, but that doesn't really answer the question of why you think ANDROID sucks... haha

And you do have experience that rivals my own, so that's good, if unusual for an Apple fan. ;-)

What never makes sense to me is if someone says. "Brand X works for me"... Well, that may be true, but Brand Y does everything that Brand X does and a whole lot more, so why would Brand X be better than Brand Y?

Look at the most commonly asked for features for iOS, from APPLE users... current customers...

Almost all of them are Android features. What does that tell you?

Why stick with "your brand" if the things that you want, are things that you have to practically beg them for, and that the competition is already offering them?

All that said, I am loving this phone so far. Battery life is great, lots of very cool, well-thought out touches....

Actually most features in Android are merely features that have existed in older platforms. Take windows mobile 6.6

Android is not something revolutionary. Nor has it brought anything game changing to the world. What it did was follow in apple footsteps which did actually revolutionize the market with the initial Os and simply provide am open source product that is able to reach all price points.

You also keep referring to me as an apple fan. I am not. You also keep saying things like Android did it first. In reality I domt particularly care what Android did first. Nor do I care about what apple did first.

You are absutely right that there are things that Apple did that android can potentially do better.

The issue is how it executes it. The question is do I want something I have to mold to work the way I way it even if it can do it powerfully so. Or do I want something that requires less work and simply does the tasks I need it to do without having to configure settings or waste my time with flashing roms.

SquireSCA

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
What part did they follow in Apple's footsteps?

Other than a rectangle with a touch screen, what? Hell, even the swipe to open that Apple tried suing others over, was actually released first on a Nokia phone...

I can draw up quite a laundry list of items and features and capabilities that Android had, that Apple later copied, and so can you...

Apple forces you to mold your work habits to how they think it should be done.

Want to transfer files? You must use iTunes and it will limit what it will copy to the device.

Want to use it as a USB drive? No, go buy a seperate thumb drive.

Want to have Google Maps as your default map, along with other non-Apple apps? Tough, Apple knows better, you can copy and paste data or move data from our apps to your apps with extra steps...

TBH, I stopped flashing ROM's awhile ago. Stock ROMs got so good that there was no point... I didn't even root my Nexus 6, and I have no interest in doing so with my 1+3...

Some reading on what Apple fans are asking for, and have been asking for...

Most-wanted features in iOS 10 - Apple Toolbox

Notice how every one of those is and has been a standard Android feature?

How about the large screens that Apple told their users that they didn't need, that watching Neflix on a postage stamp sized screen in an oddball aspect ratio was just fine? Samsung and others clean up with larger phones and the Note series, Apple comes out with a large screen 3 years late to the party, Apple fans rejoice at the "innovation"... haha

The other guy that needs special visual effects for his color blindness? Android released it in 2014, Apple still has not.

I have heard Apple fans touting the "new" visual voicemail coming in iOS 10, where you can see and read your voicemails as text, in addition to playing, rewinding, pausing, etc... Android feature for 3 or 4 years now...

We can do this all day...

Apple devices "just work" so long as you limit yourself to whatever is in their box they put you in, and so long as you do it their way...

Nogitsune Micah

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Apple doesn't force me to do anything really because if I was forced, I could easily...GASP, buy an Android phone. Wait, I had one. I replaced it with an iPhone.

Being a Microsoft fan, I do find Apple a bit more challenging to use. I can't utilize hey Cortana, I don't have the integration like I do on my Lumia 950 XL and it is not consistent. But I am not forced into Apple's way of thinking. I still utilize my phone (Outside of my MS services) the same exact way as I do with my Lumia 950 and my lagdroid Nexus.

Yes Apple and iTunes are a horrid match...but then again, half the time from using my vast android phones transferring files was a mess for them to. There are programs that I use (Copytrans for example) works far better than iTunes.

You keep speaking what your preferences out of a phone are as if they are universal for us all and they are not, therefore Android doing it and Apple not is irrelevant because my needs are different and met better with IOS and Windows 10 mobile.

You are right...we can do this all day, though arguing against android is exhausting since its fans want to prove it to be the best and perfect compared to IOS.

How about the fact the ORIGINAL android was based around being a blackberry competitor and Google saw the fanaticism for Apple's iPhone that they changed course. Android's very inception is based off both the LG prada and the iPhone from 2007. The G1(which I owned) came out over a year later.

A look back at Sooner, Google's first Android phone | Android Central

You keep speaking to me with condescension about apple. I never acted as if Apple did most of what it does before Android. Because I do not care.

Android also BORROWED heavily from Windows Mobile. From Blackberry. From Palm WEB os...it even copied Windows Phone with Metro...sorry material design. You can sit here and point out what Apple has borrowed, stolen, been inspired by or whatever from Android. But Android has also copied and bitten from the apple so to speak as well.

I personally don't want IOS nor Windows Phone to become anything remotely close to Android because I find the OS tacky and a bad OS. Windows 10 mobile, while still a great OS, killed some of my love because it left the Metro and it has taken on similarities with Android even down to some of its buggy and laggy performance (though that has been fixed). Ironically, Windows 10 mobile originally had an Android subset to it for it to run Apps via Astoria and what do you know...it lagged. What happened when they removed the android portions? Gasp...half the performance issues went with it lol.

Android copied Apple pay.

Samsung's very existence is largely inspired by Apple. With all the amazing android phones in the world, Samsung is the only one who literally and shamelessly has no problem with doing so. From various software aspects to hardware designs. Samsung is apart of the android world...they are the poster child for Android.

Night Mode in Android N....copied from Apple.

I technically cant fully credit Apple with it since Microsoft did it first, but 3D touch has now been picked up by Android OEMs such as Huawei with its 'force touch'.

Google's free for all/lack of standard for app permissions has drastically changed and has begun mimicking the way Apple (and Microsoft) handle App permissions and what they can and can't do.

What part did they follow in Apple's footsteps?

Other than a rectangle with a touch screen, what? Hell, even the swipe to open that Apple tried suing others over, was actually released first on a Nokia phone...

I can draw up quite a laundry list of items and features and capabilities that Android had, that Apple later copied, and so can you...

Apple forces you to mold your work habits to how they think it should be done.

Want to transfer files? You must use iTunes and it will limit what it will copy to the device.

Want to use it as a USB drive? No, go buy a seperate thumb drive.

Want to have Google Maps as your default map, along with other non-Apple apps? Tough, Apple knows better, you can copy and paste data or move data from our apps to your apps with extra steps...

TBH, I stopped flashing ROM's awhile ago. Stock ROMs got so good that there was no point... I didn't even root my Nexus 6, and I have no interest in doing so with my 1+3...

Some reading on what Apple fans are asking for, and have been asking for...

Most-wanted features in iOS 10 - Apple Toolbox

Notice how every one of those is and has been a standard Android feature?

How about the large screens that Apple told their users that they didn't need, that watching Neflix on a postage stamp sized screen in an oddball aspect ratio was just fine? Samsung and others clean up with larger phones and the Note series, Apple comes out with a large screen 3 years late to the party, Apple fans rejoice at the "innovation"... haha

The other guy that needs special visual effects for his color blindness? Android released it in 2014, Apple still has not.

I have heard Apple fans touting the "new" visual voicemail coming in iOS 10, where you can see and read your voicemails as text, in addition to playing, rewinding, pausing, etc... Android feature for 3 or 4 years now...

We can do this all day...

Apple devices "just work" so long as you limit yourself to whatever is in their box they put you in, and so long as you do it their way...

SquireSCA

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Apple doesn't force me to do anything really because if I was forced, I could easily...GASP, buy an Android phone. Wait, I had one. I replaced it with an iPhone.

Being a Microsoft fan, I do find Apple a bit more challenging to use. I can't utilize hey Cortana, I don't have the integration like I do on my Lumia 950 XL and it is not consistent. But I am not forced into Apple's way of thinking. I still utilize my phone (Outside of my MS services) the same exact way as I do with my Lumia 950 and my lagdroid Nexus.

Yes Apple and iTunes are a horrid match...but then again, half the time from using my vast android phones transferring files was a mess for them to. There are programs that I use (Copytrans for example) works far better than iTunes.

You keep speaking what your preferences out of a phone are as if they are universal for us all and they are not, therefore Android doing it and Apple not is irrelevant because my needs are different and met better with IOS and Windows 10 mobile.

You are right...we can do this all day, though arguing against android is exhausting since its fans want to prove it to be the best and perfect compared to IOS.

How about the fact the ORIGINAL android was based around being a blackberry competitor and Google saw the fanaticism for Apple's iPhone that they changed course. Android's very inception is based off both the LG prada and the iPhone from 2007. The G1(which I owned) came out over a year later.

A look back at Sooner, Google's first Android phone | Android Central

You keep speaking to me with condescension about apple. I never acted as if Apple did most of what it does before Android. Because I do not care.

Android also BORROWED heavily from Windows Mobile. From Blackberry. From Palm WEB os...it even copied Windows Phone with Metro...sorry material design. You can sit here and point out what Apple has borrowed, stolen, been inspired by or whatever from Android. But Android has also copied and bitten from the apple so to speak as well.

I personally don't want IOS nor Windows Phone to become anything remotely close to Android because I find the OS tacky and a bad OS. Windows 10 mobile, while still a great OS, killed some of my love because it left the Metro and it has taken on similarities with Android even down to some of its buggy and laggy performance (though that has been fixed). Ironically, Windows 10 mobile originally had an Android subset to it for it to run Apps via Astoria and what do you know...it lagged. What happened when they removed the android portions? Gasp...half the performance issues went with it lol.

Android copied Apple pay.

Samsung's very existence is largely inspired by Apple. With all the amazing android phones in the world, Samsung is the only one who literally and shamelessly has no problem with doing so. From various software aspects to hardware designs. Samsung is apart of the android world...they are the poster child for Android.

Night Mode in Android N....copied from Apple.

I technically cant fully credit Apple with it since Microsoft did it first, but 3D touch has now been picked up by Android OEMs such as Huawei with its 'force touch'.

Google's free for all/lack of standard for app permissions has drastically changed and has begun mimicking the way Apple (and Microsoft) handle App permissions and what they can and can't do.

1) What lagdroid do you speak of? I have not had that problem in YEARS. In fact, I have lag on my iPad Air 2, not my android devices... With a paltry 2GB of RAM, I am forced to manually shut down background apps to get rid of lag... If I have 3 or 4 tabs open in Safari, I get horrible lag and page reloads constantly, forcing me to shut the browser down and relaunch it... I don't see this on my Android devices, but then again, they have a lot more RAM... the new phone has 6GB and is the fastest device that I have ever used...

2) We agree that iTunes is an abomination, so that's good. haha I just prefer to use my devices like thumb drives. It's a concept that myself and everyone on the planet is familiar with, it is universal(Win, Mac, Linux) and doesn't require any apps or software, etc...

3) Apple has stolen and copied at least as much as it has ever innovated. My point wasn't that nobody does that, it is that Apple is still 1-2 years behind everyone... Whether BB had a patent for it back in the day and then Android took it and "made it their own"... In so many cases, Apple still doesn't have them, that's all...

4) I am not surprised that adding an Android emulator to Windows Mobile lagged...

5) Apple Pay was borrowed from other industries that were already using RFID beacons in key fobs to pay at gas pumps or quickie marts, etc... They just put it into a phone. Heck, how many states have had E-Z Pass systems in place for years? That's all Apple Pay is... instead of putting the beacon or sticker on your windshield, you have it in your phone...

6) App permissions with Android have undergone changes... but they still put complete control of what the app can do, in the hands of the user, not in Google's...

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
1) What lagdroid do you speak of? I have not had that problem in YEARS. In fact, I have lag on my iPad Air 2, not my android devices... With a paltry 2GB of RAM, I am forced to manually shut down background apps to get rid of lag... If I have 3 or 4 tabs open in Safari, I get horrible lag and page reloads constantly, forcing me to shut the browser down and relaunch it... I don't see this on my Android devices, but then again, they have a lot more RAM... the new phone has 6GB and is the fastest device that I have ever used...

2) We agree that iTunes is an abomination, so that's good. haha I just prefer to use my devices like thumb drives. It's a concept that myself and everyone on the planet is familiar with, it is universal(Win, Mac, Linux) and doesn't require any apps or software, etc...

3) Apple has stolen and copied at least as much as it has ever innovated. My point wasn't that nobody does that, it is that Apple is still 1-2 years behind everyone... Whether BB had a patent for it back in the day and then Android took it and "made it their own"... In so many cases, Apple still doesn't have them, that's all...

4) I am not surprised that adding an Android emulator to Windows Mobile lagged...

5) Apple Pay was borrowed from other industries that were already using RFID beacons in key fobs to pay at gas pumps or quickie marts, etc... They just put it into a phone. Heck, how many states have had E-Z Pass systems in place for years? That's all Apple Pay is... instead of putting the beacon or sticker on your windshield, you have it in your phone...

6) App permissions with Android have undergone changes... but they still put complete control of what the app can do, in the hands of the user, not in Google's...

This is just a p****ng contest between you two. He hates Android. Worships Apple and Windows. He won't see your point of view and you won't see his. It's like trying to convert someone to Left Wing or Right Wing over random Facebook posts. Never gonna change anyone's mind that way.

I love Apple and my iPhone, but I tend to agree with what you have to say. My biggest gripes with Android tend to be the small bugs that pop up in every phone. Bluetooth issues. Battery drain. Etc. My iPhone hasn't been perfect, but it has been pretty reliable. Still want to go back to Android, though.

SquireSCA

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
This is just a p****ng contest between you two. He hates Android. Worships Apple and Windows. He won't see your point of view and you won't see his. It's like trying to convert someone to Left Wing or Right Wing over random Facebook posts. Never gonna change anyone's mind that way.

I love Apple and my iPhone, but I tend to agree with what you have to say. My biggest gripes with Android tend to be the small bugs that pop up in every phone. Bluetooth issues. Battery drain. Etc. My iPhone hasn't been perfect, but it has been pretty reliable. Still want to go back to Android, though.

While true, I do still enjoy the discussions so long as they stay civil, which they have...

There are aspects of all of the OS's that I enjoy... Some have more than others, that's all.

My debates are usually centered around the fact that most(not all) Apple fans don't know what the other side has. They are so caught up in the brand that their knowledge often begins and ends with Apple. Hence why they think a feature is "new" and "innovating", when the reality is that it's two years late to the party. Apple in many ways is a "Lifestyle Brand". They are the Harley Davidson of the phone world. Most people buy it because of the marketing... It's the "brand to have", even if in most tangible ways it is an inferior product.

I find that most Android fans, were former Apple fans, but Apple kept annoying them or leaving them wanting, so they moved on to something better.

My mom who knows nothing about anything, knew that she wanted an iPhone. She doesn't know why, she just wanted one because it's an iPhone...

The people camping out for a week in the snow on line to get the new iPhone, that doesn't do anything that their current iPhone does... Are they there because it meets their needs? Because of specs? No, it is because Apple are marketing geniuses and they are selling an Apple lifestyle. Same as Harley... People who really want to RIDE, and want the best performance, best reliability, the best technology, etc... They don't buy Harleys... Most of the people who buy Harley's, do so because they want a HARLEY. They want to purchase the image, the lifestyle, etc... by buying that, they transfer that image and lifestyle to themselves by proxy...

It's less about the bike and more about them buying into the concept that "If I own this thing, people will see me this way"... They won't admit it most of the time, but I have spent too many decades in sales and marketing and been trained on the psychology of buying processes and decision making processes to ignore that this is a major component of this topic.

This applies to phones as well. People that don't know anything about phones, or even have specific needs in mind, are convinced that they have to have an iPhone...

As for evidence, I give you Exhibit A:

This has nothing to do with the phone, and specs. This is where Apple dominates... Not in capabilities, but in convincing legions of people that they need these products... and most of these people don't even know why... they just know that they do...

From the outside looking in, it looks like a cult. LOL

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
I'm not anybody's fanboy. That said, Ive been using the iPhone since BBOS ended with my 9930, and I never got comfy with BlackBerry OS10. I recently got a wild hair and bought a used Samsung Note 5 since I had never really tried an Android OS device, and thought certain features (using the pen to write notes on screen & the ability to save them...) were cool. After 2-days I can safely say that although I really like the size of the Note, the pen/note feature and some other small things my iPhone doesn't have...Android OS just isn't for me, personally.

So...this morning I am again carrying my trusty iPhone 6s in my pocket. Some say that iOS and the way of the iPhone is boring...and I can see why they would. But, I have way too many things going on in my life that demand my time/attention so I don't have time for a complicated and potentially glitchy OS. The iPhone and iOS simply "works"...and that's perfect for me.

Damien_Eternal

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I really can see why people would be annoyed with the way Apple does things. It just wont work for some people, and I would never expect it to. Just like Android doesnt work for some people. Each platform will have its strengths and weaknesses no matter how you look at it.

The fact that they dont have usability as a flash drive doesnt bother me. It might be a bit more annoying if I didnt have any, but I already have a handful of different flash drives I use for moving data if I have to. I had a few before I even had a iPhone. Even when I had my LG and my BBs both which could be used as flash drives I still used actual flash drives over them, for the fact that it was like the idea of putting all your eggs in one basket. You lose one thing you lose it all. My important data was separate. And even then I still kept a copy in the cloud if it really was something important. That way I had a way of accessing it in pretty much any situation.

Im not going to pretend to know everything about Android or iOS. I just know what works for me and the way I do things.

That said, I have considered looking into getting a cheap Android device on eBay just to have one to play around with.

SquireSCA

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
You both make good points, and I agree that there are benefits to either platform... Now that I have been back on Android for a couple weeks, I can tell you this...

The UI on Android, I feel is better. It's easier to multitask with desktop widgets and I like being able to lay out my desktops the way that makes getting to the information that I want, faster and easier... If your computer wouldn't let you arrange icons and stuff the way you wanted, it would annoy your, right?

Well, screen real estate on a smartphone is at an even greater premium, so setting it up MY way is important to me...

The ability to use it as a Flash drive, is important... At my friend's house the other day and he had downloaded Season 2 of, ironically, the CW's The Flash tv show... I handed him my phone and said hey, drag and drop it to my phone so I can toss it on my media server when I get home...

Able to do this, from his Macbook onto my Android device, no software, no apps, no workarounds with iTunes, no having to push it to the cloud and then have me download it later... I didn't bring a flash drive with me, it was an impulse, and I can just hand him my phone and drag and drop it, done...

Siri, is awful. Google Now is where its at. Faster results, more accurate results and it just "does things"... I remember the first time my phone popped up a reminder for a trip I had booked for work... I didn't even have it on my calendar... But Google read my Gmail and looked at the itinerary, saw the flight info, looked up and noticed that not only had the gate changed, but that there was traffic downtown and it new where I was at that moment because of GPS, so it calculated how early I had to leave and what route to take to arrive at my new gate on time...

I didn't have to set any reminders, I didn't have to schedule anything... It just DID IT without even asking. That's cool.

Android Auto, much better than Car Play... The interface is nicer, the graphics and screens are much nicer looking, better graphics and layout, and it scales better to my 8" NAV screen... CarPlay has icons the size of an oreo cookie and just doesn't look right.... the scale is off, its too bare bones and looks outdated. Also, I could have Car Play read my texts to me, but it would put them on the screen for me to actually read, like Android does...

It just seems like Android put more thought and features into their platform...

The phone is FAST, like really fast, and battery life so far is excellent... The screen is the same size and quality as the 6s+, but the phone itself is smaller, thinner and lighter...

I can't think of a single thing that the iPhone did, that this phone doesn't do. But there is quite a decent list of things that this phone does, that the iPhone can't do, or if it can, it does it half-a$$ed through some limited and clunky workaround...

Someone sends me an email attachment, I just save it to the drive like you do on your computer, so I can attach it to another email later, or just pop it up and view it whenever I want with whatever default app that I get to choose...