Have you switched from a Note 5? Hindsight Appreciated!

SquireSCA

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Out of curiosity... what half-baked ideas are we talking about?

Widgets? Customization? Better notification system? Better integration into Google services? Google services tending to be better than many iOS or Windows services? Having a standard USB interface and file manager support? Ability to set app preferences? Not relying on itunes? Superior voice commands than Siri? Native HDMI ports? Rapid Charging? Wireless charging? Ability to connect a thumb drive or a 3TB external hard drive to your phone and access it?

Just a few off the top of my head... haha

Damien_Eternal

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site

Widgets? Customization? Better notification system? Better integration into Google services? Google services tending to be better than many iOS or Windows services? Having a standard USB interface and file manager support? Ability to set app preferences? Not relying on itunes? Superior voice commands than Siri? Native HDMI ports? Rapid Charging? Wireless charging? Ability to connect a thumb drive or a 3TB external hard drive to your phone and access it?

iPhone has widgets. I use plenty of them. Instead of being on a homescreen they are in the pull down menu.

Customization is not important. The more open the OS is to customization the more vulnerabilities it tends to have. Id rather have function and stability.

Notification system seems fine to me. This one is purely subjective.

Google services are only important if you use Google. All I use is GMail and the built in client is more than enough for me.

Better Google than iOS? Again, subjective.

USB/File Manager? Fine, Ill give you that one, but there are ways around it and once set up are just as if not more efficient.

App preferences? I would like to see an example of this one. I dont know what its missing.

You dont have to rely on iTunes for music. Install VLC Player and set up a network share. Its a bit more involved, but it works.

Superior voice commands to Siri? I find that Siri works just fine. Again, subjective and not everything can be perfect.

HDMI is only important if you plan on connecting to a larger display. If I need a larger display I transfer the pictures/videos to my PC and watch them that way.

Rapid charging and wireless charging are just what I call "niceities". They are nice to have, but no means necessary. Learn how to optimize battery and carry an portable battery pack and you get around the need for rapid charging.

There are thumb drives that connect to the iPhone that provide storage. Look on Amazon. Plenty of different kinds and styles. This is just one example: SanDisk iXpand

A 3TB drive can be used with an iPhone. Set up either a network share on a computer with a drive that large, or set up a NAS. There are many apps like FIleExplorer for iOS that allow NAS access plus much more.

Nogitsune Micah

May 25, 2013
Visit site

You speak as if the entire world runs in google services. YouTube is what most the world uses it and search. Outside that Google is not relevant thus android feels less cohesive.

Google services being better than most iOS or Windows services is highly subjective and your argument sounds a bit silly to say that. Office for example is still the dominant productivity suite more so than google docs. Google play hasn't outpaced iTunes yet.

Many of those things on android also exist in some form on IOS with IOS 10 and Windows phone.

In the end android success is literally less to do with the open nature and more so because when you build cheap products more people flock towards you. If the iPhone was capable of hitting Lower price points you would see the phone being obtained by more people.

Androids benefit is that anyone can use the crap to make a cheap phone. Hence why the majority of the devices sold aren't galaxies. They are the knock offcrap you see in Walmart or other stores and even more so in emerging markets.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Was using the iPhone 6 before I switched to the Note 5, since I switched to the 6s Plus, I gave my Note 5 to my Dad. Today, I was able to convince him to get a 6s Plus as well :)

SquireSCA

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
iPhone has widgets. I use plenty of them. Instead of being on a homescreen they are in the pull down menu.

Customization is not important. The more open the OS is to customization the more vulnerabilities it tends to have. Id rather have function and stability.

Notification system seems fine to me. This one is purely subjective.

Google services are only important if you use Google. All I use is GMail and the built in client is more than enough for me.

Better Google than iOS? Again, subjective.

USB/File Manager? Fine, Ill give you that one, but there are ways around it and once set up are just as if not more efficient.

App preferences? I would like to see an example of this one. I dont know what its missing.

You dont have to rely on iTunes for music. Install VLC Player and set up a network share. Its a bit more involved, but it works.

Superior voice commands to Siri? I find that Siri works just fine. Again, subjective and not everything can be perfect.

HDMI is only important if you plan on connecting to a larger display. If I need a larger display I transfer the pictures/videos to my PC and watch them that way.

Rapid charging and wireless charging are just what I call "niceities". They are nice to have, but no means necessary. Learn how to optimize battery and carry an portable battery pack and you get around the need for rapid charging.

There are thumb drives that connect to the iPhone that provide storage. Look on Amazon. Plenty of different kinds and styles. This is just one example: SanDisk iXpand

A 3TB drive can be used with an iPhone. Set up either a network share on a computer with a drive that large, or set up a NAS. There are many apps like FIleExplorer for iOS that allow NAS access plus much more.

1) Customization is important. It isn't to you now, because it isn't an option. You are fine with the "desktop" just being a slab of icons all jumbled together, and the ones that you don't want, you can create an "Other" folder to jam it all in and that's it. It has always been that way, and so you have accepted that arcane way of doing things, that's fine. However, I predict that if Apple ever lets you customize your device so that you can set it up the way that you like to work, you will evangelize it. I have seen sooooo many iOS fans over the years scoff at some feature of Android for 2 years, only to jump up and down when the "new" feature finally comes to iOS. Most of the top 10 lists of requests that iOS fans submit in polls, are features lifted from Android from 1-2 years ago...

2) You really gonna tell me that Apple maps is better than Google Maps? LOL

3) Setting app preferences. Let's say that I don't like the built in PDF viewer, or that there are limitations with it in that it won't open a PDF larger than 50MB. So when I have a file that exceeds that, and I do, I can't just click on it and have it open with Adobe or an app of my choosing... It has to open it with the default app. Which then fails and tells me that it cannot open it and THEN it allows me to select another app to open the file with. Ok, extra steps, but at least it will remember that next time, right? BZZZT. Wrong, it won't, I have to jump through hoops every damned time and it is annoying in 2016 to still feel like I am on Windows 3.11. In Android, the first time you click on a file, it asks you, "Which app would you like me to use when opening this? You are shown the 2 or 3 apps that can open it, and you select that and it remembers it. Next time you click on the file, it just opens it properly. Same with links to addresses if you prefer google maps... no having to copy and paste... iOS is very outdated in that respect. Android, Windows, Linux and even MacOS do it the right way, why can't iOS?

4) Siri is a joke. Read any credible review out there and you will find that if you want speed, accuracy and to actually get stuff done, Google Now and Cortana blow Siri out of the water. If you are fine with the gimicky and lackluster abilities, that's cool. But it doesn't mean it is a good feature.

5) Several of your points list "workarounds" and "more difficult to set up but you can do it"... Why? In 2016, if it is a commonly used feature or need, why not just "have it work" rather than have to rely on patches and workarounds that are often clunky... If I want files off of my friends external HD, like movies or something I need from work, I can't expect him to have a NAS and special software to allow me to sorta copy stuff to my phone. I want to just plug it in to his computer(or just plug the drive in directly to my phone)... be it Windows, a MacBook, Linux, even a Chromebook... and just drag and drop the files to my phone like any other thumb drive... I don't want them to have to set up a network share and crap, I don't want to have to push it to the cloud and then back down, etc... The phone has a USB interface and I have lots of space on there. Plug it in and drag the files over. Done. Works on any Windows or Android device and every thumb and USB drive, no software, no workarounds, etc... I shouldn't have to jump through hoops for something so simple, should I?

None of this means that Apple sucks. People too often get all defensive when you point out the obvious shortcomings with a platform. These are Apple shortcomings. Many Apple fans complain about them and ask for better solutions. When they do, the solutions that they ask for are typically already standard in other platforms, in many cases, for years...

SquireSCA

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
You speak as if the entire world runs in google services. YouTube is what most the world uses it and search. Outside that Google is not relevant thus android feels less cohesive.

Google services being better than most iOS or Windows services is highly subjective and your argument sounds a bit silly to say that. Office for example is still the dominant productivity suite more so than google docs. Google play hasn't outpaced iTunes yet.

Many of those things on android also exist in some form on IOS with IOS 10 and Windows phone.

In the end android success is literally less to do with the open nature and more so because when you build cheap products more people flock towards you. If the iPhone was capable of hitting Lower price points you would see the phone being obtained by more people.

Androids benefit is that anyone can use the crap to make a cheap phone. Hence why the majority of the devices sold aren't galaxies. They are the knock offcrap you see in Walmart or other stores and even more so in emerging markets.

While there are cheaper Android phones, which I contend is a good thing as not everyone on the world can afford to spend $700 on a phone that they will throw out next year for a new one... I see that as a good thing, that you have options of which size phone you want, which set of features, which form factor and price point, etc...

But look at sales of the LG Flagships phones, the Galaxy and Note series, the Droid Turbos, HTC One, etc... All premium phones, all with similar price tags to the iPhone, and selling like hotcakes.

Yes, some of them are cheaper, and that's a good thing. But many are not. They are premium phones with superior specs and better performance and features and they are priced the same as the iPhone and they sell as well or better than the iPhone.

Apple realizes this and that is why they are starting to push the lower end "SE" iPhones...

Damien_Eternal

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
1) Customization is important. It isn't to you now, because it isn't an option. You are fine with the "desktop" just being a slab of icons all jumbled together, and the ones that you don't want, you can create an "Other" folder to jam it all in and that's it. It has always been that way, and so you have accepted that arcane way of doing things, that's fine. However, I predict that if Apple ever lets you customize your device so that you can set it up the way that you like to work, you will evangelize it. I have seen sooooo many iOS fans over the years scoff at some feature of Android for 2 years, only to jump up and down when the "new" feature finally comes to iOS. Most of the top 10 lists of requests that iOS fans submit in polls, are features lifted from Android from 1-2 years ago...

2) You really gonna tell me that Apple maps is better than Google Maps? LOL

3) Setting app preferences. Let's say that I don't like the built in PDF viewer, or that there are limitations with it in that it won't open a PDF larger than 50MB. So when I have a file that exceeds that, and I do, I can't just click on it and have it open with Adobe or an app of my choosing... It has to open it with the default app. Which then fails and tells me that it cannot open it and THEN it allows me to select another app to open the file with. Ok, extra steps, but at least it will remember that next time, right? BZZZT. Wrong, it won't, I have to jump through hoops every damned time and it is annoying in 2016 to still feel like I am on Windows 3.11. In Android, the first time you click on a file, it asks you, "Which app would you like me to use when opening this? You are shown the 2 or 3 apps that can open it, and you select that and it remembers it. Next time you click on the file, it just opens it properly. Same with links to addresses if you prefer google maps... no having to copy and paste... iOS is very outdated in that respect. Android, Windows, Linux and even MacOS do it the right way, why can't iOS?

4) Siri is a joke. Read any credible review out there and you will find that if you want speed, accuracy and to actually get stuff done, Google Now and Cortana blow Siri out of the water. If you are fine with the gimicky and lackluster abilities, that's cool. But it doesn't mean it is a good feature.

5) Several of your points list "workarounds" and "more difficult to set up but you can do it"... Why? In 2016, if it is a commonly used feature or need, why not just "have it work" rather than have to rely on patches and workarounds that are often clunky... If I want files off of my friends external HD, like movies or something I need from work, I can't expect him to have a NAS and special software to allow me to sorta copy stuff to my phone. I want to just plug it in to his computer(or just plug the drive in directly to my phone)... be it Windows, a MacBook, Linux, even a Chromebook... and just drag and drop the files to my phone like any other thumb drive... I don't want them to have to set up a network share and crap, I don't want to have to push it to the cloud and then back down, etc... The phone has a USB interface and I have lots of space on there. Plug it in and drag the files over. Done. Works on any Windows or Android device and every thumb and USB drive, no software, no workarounds, etc... I shouldn't have to jump through hoops for something so simple, should I?

None of this means that Apple sucks. People too often get all defensive when you point out the obvious shortcomings with a platform. These are Apple shortcomings. Many Apple fans complain about them and ask for better solutions. When they do, the solutions that they ask for are typically already standard in other platforms, in many cases, for years...

Dont think that I havent seen customization before. I used an android phone for some time before coming to iPhone. It was the LG Optimus G, one of the first ones to have a quad core CPU. It was indeed more customizeable. But that also came at the price of timely updates to the OS. I dont think I got even one OS update in the two years that I had it. Because of that, security vulnerabilities and bugs tended to hang around for much longer than they do on iOS. Stability and timely updates/patches are more important to me than customization. If they open up more customization in the future, great. As long as it doesnt come at the price of timely updates or stability, otherwise Id rather not have it.

Google Maps probably is nicer. Probably has more features. I dont really use it enough to care. I use Apple Maps only every now and then to find a new place I am going to and thats it. It has yet to fail me. Im not going to add an app that takes up space that gets used only a couple times a month at best.

App preferences. Okay, so you just open the app you want to use to open the file first and open the file within the program. How is that hard? iOS has the ability to copy and paste. I use it all the time.

Again, not everything can be perfect. Siri may not be as great as others. But it can be improved. Just give it time. This only really matters to people who use voice commands a lot anyway. I hardly ever do, aside from maybe asking Siri to set a timer every now and then.

Why use a phone to transport files in the first place? USB flash drives are cheaper and work in practically everything with a USB port. If I am going to transfer files between computers or need to take it from one place to another, Ive got several flash drives that I use to do so. That is kinda like putting all your eggs in one basket. If the phone does away, so does everything else. Flash drives in most cases are far cheaper and easier to replace.

Im not getting defensive. If I came off that way it wasnt intentional. Im just making my own points on the subject and saying what I think. You think that Android is better. Great. I have a very close friend who is the same way. But what works for me isnt going to necessarily work for you. Every platform has its shortcomings, I dont care what it is. For example, as far as I am aware, the accessibility features built into Android cant be compared to the ones built into iOS. Does Android have color filter profiles built in for protanomaly type color blindness? Admittedly iOS didnt either until the iOS 10 beta, but it is there now. Since that is one issue I have, I welcome the feature.

SquireSCA

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Dont think that I havent seen customization before. I used an android phone for some time before coming to iPhone. It was the LG Optimus G, one of the first ones to have a quad core CPU. It was indeed more customizeable. But that also came at the price of timely updates to the OS. I dont think I got even one OS update in the two years that I had it. Because of that, security vulnerabilities and bugs tended to hang around for much longer than they do on iOS. Stability and timely updates/patches are more important to me than customization. If they open up more customization in the future, great. As long as it doesnt come at the price of timely updates or stability, otherwise Id rather not have it.

Google Maps probably is nicer. Probably has more features. I dont really use it enough to care. I use Apple Maps only every now and then to find a new place I am going to and thats it. It has yet to fail me. Im not going to add an app that takes up space that gets used only a couple times a month at best.

App preferences. Okay, so you just open the app you want to use to open the file first and open the file within the program. How is that hard? iOS has the ability to copy and paste. I use it all the time.

Again, not everything can be perfect. Siri may not be as great as others. But it can be improved. Just give it time. This only really matters to people who use voice commands a lot anyway. I hardly ever do, aside from maybe asking Siri to set a timer every now and then.

Why use a phone to transport files in the first place? USB flash drives are cheaper and work in practically everything with a USB port. If I am going to transfer files between computers or need to take it from one place to another, Ive got several flash drives that I use to do so. That is kinda like putting all your eggs in one basket. If the phone does away, so does everything else. Flash drives in most cases are far cheaper and easier to replace.

Im not getting defensive. If I came off that way it wasnt intentional. Im just making my own points on the subject and saying what I think. You think that Android is better. Great. I have a very close friend who is the same way. But what works for me isnt going to necessarily work for you. Every platform has its shortcomings, I dont care what it is. For example, as far as I am aware, the accessibility features built into Android cant be compared to the ones built into iOS. Does Android have color filter profiles built in for protanomaly type color blindness? Admittedly iOS didnt either until the iOS 10 beta, but it is there now. Since that is one issue I have, I welcome the feature.

1) That's why Nexus phones are the bomb. They are Android, but done the way that you seem to prefer Apple does things... You get all the benefits of Android, but done by Google where they design the phone to go with the software, like Apple... The Nexus phones get monthly updates and the new versions of the OS about 6 months before anyone else... Best of both worlds, really.

2) App preferences... What if I don't remember what file it is? Typically I have a work email with an attachment, or a file I downloaded at some point... Normally, I just click on the attachment, not click on it, save it somewhere, then go find another app and import it or move it, etc... I just want to see a new attachment in my email, click it and have it automagically open with my preferred app. Is that too much to ask? I know that there are workarounds... but it's 2016 man, I shouldn't have to do workarounds, it should "just work", and on iOS it usually doesn't. You don't see it as a workaround because your usage habits have molded around these limitations. It's just "how it is" to you and you don't give it a second thought... When you have done it the other way, it's clearly a downgrade...

3) Giving Siri time... Dude, it's been almost 3 years... LOL It still lags behind the competition in speed, accuracy and usefulness. It is what it is...

4) -->"Why use a phone to transport files in the first place? USB flash drives are cheaper and work in practically everything with a USB port. "
So does an Android device. Why would I want to purchase and carry around a separate device for file transfers? I am already carrying my phone, so why not just use that? Plus, having it on my phone allows me to go grab one of the files and email it to someone if I had to, whereas the USB drive has to be plugged into a PC somewhere to do that... Again, you are coming up with extra hardware and processes to account for a glaringly lacking, but simple feature that is missing on the device. Sure, you CAN do it that way, but why would I WANT to? Might as well burn a CDROM while I am at it... Anyone got a spare 3.5" floppy disk I can borrow? :)

5) Accessibility features... Color profiles and color inversion have been part of Android for almost 2 years. iOS is getting them in September. Android also supports full talkback, braile via BT and all sorts of stuff for disabled folks... This kind of makes my point... Features that you are pointing out are good and that you like are coming, you weren't even aware have already been on the market for years with the other camp.

I am not trying to be a ****. I am just saying that in most(but not all) cases, Apple fans don't know what they don't know. They know Apple, their usage is modeled based on what Apple gives them to work with, but they usually tend to not know what the competition does, and so they think Apple is beta testing a "new feature" when in fact, features like that have been standard on Android since version 5... Lollipop... Almost 2 years now... That's all I am saying...

SquireSCA

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
For example, as far as I am aware, the accessibility features built into Android cant be compared to the ones built into iOS. Does Android have color filter profiles built in for protanomaly type color blindness? Admittedly iOS didnt either until the iOS 10 beta, but it is there now. Since that is one issue I have, I welcome the feature.

Been a standard feature since Android 5.0 which was released on Nov 3, 2014... so more than a year and a half ago... You will finally get it on iOS, 2 years...

This is a perfect example of something that you actually need, for medical reasons, that being an Apple fan, you just assumed that if Apple doesn't have it then nobody does, and 9 times out of 10, that is an incorrect assumption.

Screen cap of what was added to Android 5.0 back in November of 2014, which I believe is EXACTLY what you have been in need of, correct?

Attachments

• 2016-07-01 14_32_08-.png
    2016-07-01 14_32_08-.png
    42.3 KB · Views: 15

SquireSCA

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
This is kinda cool too:

Now on Tap: get assistance without having to leave what you’re doing—whether you’re in an app or on a website. Just touch and hold the home button.

Basically whatever you are doing, you can hold the home button and a help and search feature will pop up with results based on whatever is on the screen. No jumping in and out of apps or manually searching for answers or help, it "just does it" based on whatever you were doing when you hit the button. Cool!

Damien_Eternal

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
1) That's why Nexus phones are the bomb. They are Android, but done the way that you seem to prefer Apple does things... You get all the benefits of Android, but done by Google where they design the phone to go with the software, like Apple... The Nexus phones get monthly updates and the new versions of the OS about 6 months before anyone else... Best of both worlds, really.

2) App preferences... What if I don't remember what file it is? Typically I have a work email with an attachment, or a file I downloaded at some point... Normally, I just click on the attachment, not click on it, save it somewhere, then go find another app and import it or move it, etc... I just want to see a new attachment in my email, click it and have it automagically open with my preferred app. Is that too much to ask? I know that there are workarounds... but it's 2016 man, I shouldn't have to do workarounds, it should "just work", and on iOS it usually doesn't. You don't see it as a workaround because your usage habits have molded around these limitations. It's just "how it is" to you and you don't give it a second thought... When you have done it the other way, it's clearly a downgrade...

3) Giving Siri time... Dude, it's been almost 3 years... LOL It still lags behind the competition in speed, accuracy and usefulness. It is what it is...

4) -->"Why use a phone to transport files in the first place? USB flash drives are cheaper and work in practically everything with a USB port. "
So does an Android device. Why would I want to purchase and carry around a separate device for file transfers? I am already carrying my phone, so why not just use that? Plus, having it on my phone allows me to go grab one of the files and email it to someone if I had to, whereas the USB drive has to be plugged into a PC somewhere to do that... Again, you are coming up with extra hardware and processes to account for a glaringly lacking, but simple feature that is missing on the device. Sure, you CAN do it that way, but why would I WANT to? Might as well burn a CDROM while I am at it... Anyone got a spare 3.5" floppy disk I can borrow? :)

5) Accessibility features... Color profiles and color inversion have been part of Android for almost 2 years. iOS is getting them in September. Android also supports full talkback, braile via BT and all sorts of stuff for disabled folks... This kind of makes my point... Features that you are pointing out are good and that you like are coming, you weren't even aware have already been on the market for years with the other camp.

I am not trying to be a ****. I am just saying that in most(but not all) cases, Apple fans don't know what they don't know. They know Apple, their usage is modeled based on what Apple gives them to work with, but they usually tend to not know what the competition does, and so they think Apple is beta testing a "new feature" when in fact, features like that have been standard on Android since version 5... Lollipop... Almost 2 years now... That's all I am saying...

Well, as has been said before, each platform will have is strengths and weaknesses. You have made your point, and Ill agree they were good points. But some of the stuff you want or need isnt what I want or need. Apple works for me. Android works for you.

Perhaps the biggest advantage that iOS does have over android is it has to support only a small set of hardware while android has to be written to support a much larger set of hardware which introduces more opportunities for bugs to happen and for things to just simply not work on one set of hardware when they work on another even though the both run the same OS. This make iOS much more optimized.

SquireSCA

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
-->"Perhaps the biggest advantage that iOS does have over android is it has to support only a small set of hardware while android has to be written to support a much larger set of hardware which introduces more opportunities for bugs to happen and for things to just simply not work on one set of hardware when they work on another even though the both run the same OS. This make iOS much more optimized."

Again, look to the Nexus line of phones... Google designs both the software AND hardware together, to work together, just like Apple does...

Google updates them directly... you don't go through the manufacturers and then the carriers... Straight timely updates, again, just like Apple...

Damien_Eternal

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Been a standard feature since Android 5.0 which was released on Nov 3, 2014... so more than a year and a half ago... You will finally get it on iOS, 2 years...

This is a perfect example of something that you actually need, for medical reasons, that being an Apple fan, you just assumed that if Apple doesn't have it then nobody does, and 9 times out of 10, that is an incorrect assumption.

Screen cap of what was added to Android 5.0 back in November of 2014, which I believe is EXACTLY what you have been in need of, correct?

Well, honestly its something that I didnt even think about until I heard about it being in iOS 10. I never checked into whether android had it or not because I didnt even really consider using such a thing even though I have had mild protanomaly my entire life. In fact I dont even really need it. Ive never had much issue using my phone or computer before. Its just something nice to have is all. It does make it a bit easier, but again by no means a necessity.

Damien_Eternal

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
-->"Perhaps the biggest advantage that iOS does have over android is it has to support only a small set of hardware while android has to be written to support a much larger set of hardware which introduces more opportunities for bugs to happen and for things to just simply not work on one set of hardware when they work on another even though the both run the same OS. This make iOS much more optimized."

Again, look to the Nexus line of phones... Google designs both the software AND hardware together, to work together, just like Apple does...

Google updates them directly... you don't go through the manufacturers and then the carriers... Straight timely updates, again, just like Apple...

Right. That is one thing I forgot to mention in that post. If I were to go back to android - which is a possibility if they come out with something that really gets my attention - it would be a Nexus device so it would as straight vanillia android as possible.

SquireSCA

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Well, honestly its something that I didnt even think about until I heard about it being in iOS 10. I never checked into whether android had it or not because I didnt even really consider using such a thing even though I have had mild protanomaly my entire life. In fact I dont even really need it. Ive never had much issue using my phone or computer before. Its just something nice to have is all. It does make it a bit easier, but again by no means a necessity.

Understood, I was only driving the point home to illustrate the point that so many Apple fans simply don't know what is out there unless Apple has it. They think it is "something new" when in fact it is Apple being 2 years behind everyone else.

That is what often makes these "debates" troublesome, because it is hard to explain to someone who doesn't know what the other side has... Usually they say they don't care or don't need it, and then 2 years later when Apple finally gets it, they are all excited about it and forgot that everyone else had it 2 years ago... LOL

It's hard to explain to someone why they SHOULD know something or why they should care, because it often comes across like you are telling them that they are stupid for "not getting it"... Its frustrating on my side, because if you read back, your post comes across like Android is behind... your "Can Android do this?" comment, to me, comes across as presumptive in your part because you are clearly asking in a rhetorical way, because in your mind you decided that Android doesn't and Apple will have it, so score for Apple.

But the truth is that Android DOES have it, and HAS had it since 2014... But you didn't know that, and that is how the majority of these "debates" go... People like myself that own both platforms and use both of them, extensively for years, talking to others that only really know one side of the equation... does that make sense?

Nogitsune Micah

May 25, 2013
Visit site
While there are cheaper Android phones, which I contend is a good thing as not everyone on the world can afford to spend $700 on a phone that they will throw out next year for a new one... I see that as a good thing, that you have options of which size phone you want, which set of features, which form factor and price point, etc...

But look at sales of the LG Flagships phones, the Galaxy and Note series, the Droid Turbos, HTC One, etc... All premium phones, all with similar price tags to the iPhone, and selling like hotcakes.

Yes, some of them are cheaper, and that's a good thing. But many are not. They are premium phones with superior specs and better performance and features and they are priced the same as the iPhone and they sell as well or better than the iPhone.

Apple realizes this and that is why they are starting to push the lower end "SE" iPhones...

What lg and HTC phones are selling like hot cakes? Pretty sure HTC has been near bankruptcy for awhile now

The only phone that sells in the same bracket as apple or more is Samsung Galaxy. The others are below apple.

It isn't so much the Se price that made apple realize that. It's the demand for a smaller phone since over 30 million users still were using 4 inch or smaller screens.

Specs aren't everything as we have seen in the past the lower spec iPhone surpass and best a high spec Android phone and performance is on par with apple for most high end Android phones. Considering that many high end phones do suffer from performance issues and horrid battery life and lag. See last year's lg g4 for example.

SquireSCA

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Right. That is one thing I forgot to mention in that post. If I were to go back to android - which is a possibility if they come out with something that really gets my attention - it would be a Nexus device so it would as straight vanillia android as possible.

The Nexus line is excellent. It is the best of both worlds. Top notch cutting edge premium phone like Apple, with software and hardware control under one roof like Apple, but all the advanced features and flexibility of Android...

SquireSCA

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
What lg and HTC phones are selling like hot cakes? Pretty sure HTC has been near bankruptcy for awhile now

The only phone that sells in the same bracket as apple or more is Samsung Galaxy. The others are below apple.

It isn't so much the Se price that made apple realize that. It's the demand for a smaller phone since over 30 million users still were using 4 inch or smaller screens.

Specs aren't everything as we have seen in the past the lower spec iPhone surpass and best a high spec Android phone and performance is on par with apple for most high end Android phones. Considering that many high end phones do suffer from performance issues and horrid battery life and lag. See last year's lg g4 for example.

I won't deny that there have been some poor executions on the Android side, even with a high end model. But it's the exception rather than the norm...

As an example, I just got my OnePlus 3 yesterday. Blisteringly fast, easily beating the 6s+ in benchmarks, zero lag and a ton of really nice features, premium aluminum unibody construction... for half the price... Literally.

So far, what I like about it:

- Same elegant metal construction as an iPhone or new Galaxy, it just feels high end.
- FAST, like seriously fast, same CPU as the GS7 and benchmarks faster than my iPhone 6S +
- While it has the same 5.5" AMOLED screen as the 6S+, the phone is smaller, thinner and lighter than the iPhone. Considerably smaller.
- The Home Button doesn't push in. You just touch it and the fingerprint scanner is instant. I mean INSTANT. Just touch it and it unlocks, no having to depress a button first or turn the screen on first.
- If the phone is laying on the table, just wave your hand over it and the screen comes on to display the time and any notifications, without having to touch anything.
- Double tapping the screen turns the screen off and locks it. Double tapping it when off turns it back on.
- With the screen off, just tracing a "0" on it instantly launches the camera. Tracing a "V" launches the flashlight, etc...
- It has a slider for silent like the iPhone, but rather than On and Off, it has a third position that puts it in "Priority only" mode, where you can tell it who or what to let through. Neat.
- Comes standard with 64GB of storage and 6GB of RAM.
- Built in wifi tethering even though I am on an Unlimited Data plan, without root or jailbreaking, NICE.
- Insanely fast charging. Like 0% to 60% in 30 minutes. I have never seen a phone recharge this fast

Damien_Eternal

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Understood, I was only driving the point home to illustrate the point that so many Apple fans simply don't know what is out there unless Apple has it. They think it is "something new" when in fact it is Apple being 2 years behind everyone else.

That is what often makes these "debates" troublesome, because it is hard to explain to someone who doesn't know what the other side has... Usually they say they don't care or don't need it, and then 2 years later when Apple finally gets it, they are all excited about it and forgot that everyone else had it 2 years ago... LOL

It's hard to explain to someone why they SHOULD know something or why they should care, because it often comes across like you are telling them that they are stupid for "not getting it"... Its frustrating on my side, because if you read back, your post comes across like Android is behind... your "Can Android do this?" comment, to me, comes across as presumptive in your part because you are clearly asking in a rhetorical way, because in your mind you decided that Android doesn't and Apple will have it, so score for Apple.

But the truth is that Android DOES have it, and HAS had it since 2014... But you didn't know that, and that is how the majority of these "debates" go... People like myself that own both platforms and use both of them, extensively for years, talking to others that only really know one side of the equation... does that make sense?

It does. I see why you know the android side a lot better than I do. But I am trying not to deny anything you say, at least not intentionally. Words are not something that come easily to me. So sometimes one thing come off of what I say and it can be different than what I mean. Again, I wasnt trying to be presumptuous even if it came off that way.

Again to be fair though, when something just simply works for me I stay with it until it doesnt. So I tend not to pay attention to other platforms in this case until I need to. I do watch comparison videos from YouTubers like EverythingApplePro and AndroidAuthroity as just a couple of examples. But they tend to only talk about the big features like cameras, CPU, RAM, storage, the things that most people care about and are likely to be the money grabbers. They dont ever mention how well they will work as a flash drive or what accessibility features they all have.

I owned and used many Blackberry phones for many years. The only reason I switched from a BB to a android was because BBs stopped working for me. They just fell way too behind compared to anything else. Then I switched from Android to iPhone just to give something different a try and.... here I am. iPhone worked for me right off and has kept working for me so why switch? That may make me kind of simple but, oh well.

SquireSCA

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
It does. I see why you know the android side a lot better than I do. But I am trying not to deny anything you say, at least not intentionally. Words are not something that come easily to me. So sometimes one thing come off of what I say and it can be different than what I mean. Again, I wasnt trying to be presumptuous even if it came off that way.

Again to be fair though, when something just simply works for me I stay with it until it doesnt. So I tend not to pay attention to other platforms in this case until I need to. I do watch comparison videos from YouTubers like EverythingApplePro and AndroidAuthroity as just a couple of examples. But they tend to only talk about the big features like cameras, CPU, RAM, storage, the things that most people care about and are likely to be the money grabbers. They dont ever mention how well they will work as a flash drive or what accessibility features they all have.

I owned and used many Blackberry phones for many years. The only reason I switched from a BB to a android was because BBs stopped working for me. They just fell way too behind compared to anything else. Then I switched from Android to iPhone just to give something different a try and.... here I am. iPhone worked for me right off and has kept working for me so why switch? That may make me kind of simple but, oh well.

I can respect that. If it works, by all means, use it.

I had several early iPhones... but lackign features and constantly dropping calls forced me to Android and I was there for 5 years. I have an iPad Air 2 that I love, and I decided, what the hell, I will give the 6s+ a shot.

It was a downgrade in every way but battery life... It is lacking in MANY ways... And some of those, can be cured with apps and workarounds and carrying other devices, etc... But then I realized, why do all of that when there is already a platform that doesn't require me to? LOL

I have to say, this phone is amazing... I don't know how they do it for that price, but so far this thing is giving any Nexus I have owned, or Galaxy, a run for their money...

https://forums.imore.com/e?link=htt...=https%3A%2F%2Foneplus.net%2F3&token=moqO6g1R

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR