Have you switched from a Note 5? Hindsight Appreciated!

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Well I did it again. I loved my Nexus 6p but missed iOS over the last little while. Android is great but damn those videos my wife would send me from her iPhone were just brutal lol. I even hated the fact that some apps would just wake up and run and kill my battery. Apps like Instagram, Alibaba, and a few others. So many wake ups from odd days. Losing too much money making these switches. Really have to just stick with the iPhone.

Haha! I figured you were golden with the 6P just from reading your posts on AC. I think I've actually finally decided on staying with iOS and Apple. I've been with my 6s Plus since before Christmas. It definitely isn't perfect. But it is pretty close. Im hopeful that the 7 will have a higher resolution screen and smaller bezels and an even faster camera. And I'd be happy.

I thought so also. Nexus 6p is a great device especially with that price point. I definitely won't use an OEM Android again though. It's only Nexus if I ever were to switch to Android again. No phone is perfect but I iOS is like a cult. It's hard to cut ties when family and friends use the products and when you have extra products at home with Apple. iMessage is definitely key for me. Already love it again with the pics and videos in HD. I have to be done with this switching. It's just too costly especially selling an Android and then buying an iPhone again. Those phones can't hold any value

I completely understand. I have an angel on one shoulder and a devil on the other trying to get me to one OS or the other. I can't figure out which one is which. It has cost me a ton of money flip flopping from one to the other all the time. I would most likely be better off staying with iOS and Apple but the new Android phones always seem to tempt me. But I'd hate to lose out on iMessage. It makes messaging so much easier. My wife is the only one in my family now not on iOS. But sharing pics of kids and whatnot is so much easier between iOS devices. I only wish I could customize a little bit of the experience other than where I put my icons, ringtones and wallpaper.

Haha we're all a mess!! LOL I just returned my 3rd 6P since November. With each one I only used it a day after setting everything up before running back to my iPhone and Watch combo. Marshmallow is much improved over Jelly Bean which is what my last Android phone had before I switched back to iOS. The 6P hardware is a dream but I'm just spoiled by the little intricacies of iOS and the polish of it. I'm done now LOL.

As far as the customization Wildo jailbreak will cure that itch plus I believe the themes and different things afforded by jailbreak are way better than anything I saw on Android.

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
I had Androids before.
Then started with  with the 4S.
I now have the latest iteration but I got myself an HTC One M9 for my business. I cannot stick to one operating system (my iPhone is still my daily driver, though).

jnew619

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I had Androids before.
Then started with  with the 4S.
I now have the latest iteration but I got myself an HTC One M9 for my business. I cannot stick to one operating system (my iPhone is still my daily driver, though).

I think I'm gonna do the same I been having android for a while then went with apple with the 4s
Just got done using the Samsung test drive promotion and had a note 5 loved it but not sure if I want to give up my iPhone think I need both in my life lol gonna wait to see what new phones are gonna come out

clitrenta

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
I just gave up my Note 5 and oddly enough feel no remorse. Great phone but there were just to many times it annoyed me where connections are concerned. I have a Fitbit and I was constantly trying to sync it. Always a struggle. Pretty much the same with any other BT connected device though that seems to be more an issue with the Note 5 than the previous versions. Lets face it, common sense tells you that when you design apps to work with Android, it's nearly impossible to make them work perfectly on every single phone not to mention all the crazy GUIs the vendors put over it. That is why iOS and Windows Phones work so well. I love Windows Phones but the whole app situation is still beyond ridiculous (darn you Microsoft). So...iPhone is it - for LIFE. No looking back and no regrets.

tsparks1

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
As I mentioned earlier in this thread I have both a Note 5 and 6S Plus. Well when VZW released 6.0.1 today I switched sims and installed Marshmallow. Two hours later switched sim card out again and was back home to iOS. Not to knock Android or the Note but it just isn't as nice and smooth as iOS. The Gear S2 is going back tomorrow, while I preferTizen to Android Wear (constant swiping of cards is REALLY annoying) it sure ain't my Apple watch.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
As I mentioned earlier in this thread I have both a Note 5 and 6S Plus. Well when VZW released 6.0.1 today I switched sims and installed Marshmallow. Two hours later switched sim card out again and was back home to iOS. Not to knock Android or the Note but it just isn't as nice and smooth as iOS. The Gear S2 is going back tomorrow, while I preferTizen to Android Wear (constant swiping of cards is REALLY annoying) it sure ain't my Apple watch.
The 6s Plus is definitely a great device. I have the Verizon Note 5 as well as the 6s Plus. I have been using both since I picked up the Note a couple weeks ago. I also got the update yesterday. The Note 5 is every bit as smooth as the 6s Plus for me. I've never been able to honestly say that about any android phone compared to iOS. I will still probably stick with the 6s Plus because my family uses all iOS devices but it's definitely not because it runs better this time.

At this point it is just about OS preferences in my opinion.

tsparks1

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
The 6s Plus is definitely a great device. I have the Verizon Note 5 as well as the 6s Plus. I have been using both since I picked up the Note a couple weeks ago. I also got the update yesterday. The Note 5 is every bit as smooth as the 6s Plus for me. I've never been able to honestly say that about any android phone compared to iOS. I will still probably stick with the 6s Plus because my family uses all iOS devices but it's definitely not because it runs better this time.

At this point it is just about OS preferences in my opinion.

Exactly. It's a matter of preference and honestly if I didn't have te Apple watch I'd be using my Note much more often if not most of the time, Marshmallow has made a terrific phone even better.The screen is just remarkable remarkable. I'm just sorry that the Gear S2 doesn't come close in my opinion, I returned mine today. And I just talked myself into firing up the Note. First world problems, huh!

Adawg1203

May 9, 2011
Visit site

How do you get the SIM card for a 6s plus to work with the Note 5. The Apple is using a micro SIM which is smaller than what the Note 5 SIM tray takes?

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Exactly. It's a matter of preference and honestly if I didn't have te Apple watch I'd be using my Note much more often if not most of the time, Marshmallow has made a terrific phone even better.The screen is just remarkable remarkable. I'm just sorry that the Gear S2 doesn't come close in my opinion, I returned mine today. And I just talked myself into firing up the Note. First world problems, huh!

Yes, the Apple Watch and 6S+ are a great combination. Think I posted earlier somewhere here or in a similar thread - so far for me Apple Watch as a smartwatch and general fitness/health tracker - is superior compared to what I've tried for Android Wear and Tizen. That's in form factor, OS, and usability. All are probably personal preferences, though.

Note 5 is also excellent overall. Like cwbcpa mentions, most of my family is on iOS (and all of the integration/interoperability that goes with it), so I'll need to make a long-term decision at some point in the near future.

tsparks1

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Yes, the Apple Watch and 6S+ are a great combination. Think I posted earlier somewhere here or in a similar thread - so far for me Apple Watch as a smartwatch and general fitness/health tracker - is superior compared to what I've tried for Android Wear and Tizen. That's in form factor, OS, and usability. All are probably personal preferences, though.

Note 5 is also excellent overall. Like cwbcpa mentions, most of my family is on iOS (and all of the integration/interoperability that goes with it), so I'll need to make a long-term decision at some point in the near future.

Yeah, the Note is a very good phone and now I think it's gotten much better with Marshmallow.

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I was thinking that I wouldn't mind going back to the note 5. There are some things that I miss. Now I will say that my iPhone 6S Plus has been spectacular. Some bugs here and there and I'm sure that the next update will cure those. But I don't know at this point if I actually prefer it over the Note 5. I do miss Samsung Pay, LED light, I prefer Google Music over Apple Music, wireless charging, and I like the fingerprint scanner better on the Note 5.

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I also find it beneficial to use the Note to actually handwrite still. I hardly do it anymore. I'm usually typing on my computer keyboard or on my touchscreen device. I don't handwrite anything anymore and my penmanship is starting to suffer.

Rmedy21

Jul 10, 2015
Visit site
I currently own a Note 5. I've had 4 replacement devices, 3 of which were for the same reason.. a unresponsive top left screen portion. After going through forums on AC I eventually found the issue to be with FB messanger, a quick unistall fixed the issue. While its nice that this issue is gone apart of me refuses to accept the solution. Verizon is willing to send me a new device of my choice but I am not interested in the other android devices offered. I've had iPhones in the past and generally they are know for being stable. If you switched from a Note 5 or other android device to an iPhone 6S Plus... were you happy you did? What do you miss?

I know the obvious spec differences but am more interested in the subtle day to day differences.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

I just purchased my iPhone 6s Plus on Friday. I came from a note 4. I had many of Samsung devices. I have Verizon so there is no rooting for me because there boot loader is lock down. I got tired of the lag and with the software update it mad my battery worse. But I can go on for days. So far this iPhone has been really good with the battery life. The phone runs buttery smooth. I got the 128 gig. I get two days of battery life with no charge maybe 2.5 days

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh