Have you switched from a Note 5? Hindsight Appreciated!

anon(5719825)

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
By the way, I had my 6S+ with me last night and I unplugged it from the charger at 5PM. When I got home at 1AM, the battery was still at 100% with very little use (I used my Note 5). When I woke up this morning at 5:30, it was still at 100%.

My Note 5 was at 90% at 7 hrs last night. When I woke up at 5:30, it was at 70%. Wish my Note 5 could be like my 6S+. My 6S+ barely loses a percent over night and I can count on my Android phones to go down at least 10%.

matt3166

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
By the way, I had my 6S+ with me last night and I unplugged it from the charger at 5PM. When I got home at 1AM, the battery was still at 100% with very little use (I used my Note 5). When I woke up this morning at 5:30, it was still at 100%.

My Note 5 was at 90% at 7 hrs last night. When I woke up at 5:30, it was at 70%. Wish my Note 5 could be like my 6S+. My 6S+ barely loses a percent over night and I can count on my Android phones to go down at least 10%.

This is ultimately why I decided to use the 6s+. I've been using the Nexus 6p for the past week and yes "Doze" great but it only works while sitting still, doesn't work while in your pocket and your moving around. I was at work yesterday using the 6p, was busy and only used it once to make a call and look something up, just being in my pocket for the remainder of 8 hours it dropped 15%. If it was my 6s+ it would remain at 100% for what little I did, moving around or not, the battery for standby and actual usage can't be beat.

llfloyd79

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site

Standby time is a beast on the 6S Plus! Couldn't agree more with what you said! When I had my Note 5 in the past, for some reason that always bugged me...standby time on it. I use to charge to 100% before I went to bed. Something I do with every phone I gotten in the past. I unplug it at 10:30pm at 100....I get up at 4:30am in the morning. My Note 5 was between 95 - 97%. My iPhone I did the same thing...unplugged at 4:30am. Even drove to work and checked a few things like weather or emails. Then maybe around 7 or 8am it would finally drop to 99% lol.

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
The problem is that the other phone makers are at such a fevered pace to sell new phone models that they create the fragmentation. If they just came out with a new phone each year and kept it updated, things would be easier. But each company wants to have 6 different phones, with new ones coming out every 6 months, times all the phone manufacturers, multiplied by each carrier, etc... And then you have VZW or ATT demanding carrier specific specs, etc...

It's not Android that is the problem, it is that with so many hands in the cookie jar, Android has to operate in that cluttered environment...

The upside of that fragmentation, is that you have a large pool of options to pick from.

Apple has a new product every 12-16 months... Your choices today are small or large, and then the choice of the color that will be placed under a case anyway. Before the + series, your option was 1 model, with different storage capacities.

On Android... what's your price point? You want a MicroSD slot? Removable battery? You need an HDMI port? What form factor? How about a slide out physical keyboard? Do you want an HD screen or not?

You can literally get the exact phone that you want... It's like going to 31 flavors... Versus the old Henry Ford days of, "You can have any color you want, so long as it's black"...

With choices and options, comes fragmentation... You can't have it any other way... If you want no fragmentation, your options are to move to a single hardware platform designed hand in hand with the software, and that means Apple, or the Nexus line...

The plus of Android's fragmentation, in addition to choices, is that it pushed the envelope further and faster for what a smartphone can do, faster than Apple. Apple may have started the ball rolling with the first iPhone, but Android has since taken the lead and is a juggernaut now and Google has officially taken Apple's place as the world's most valuable company. Android was a big part of it. Not because of the OS itself, but having Android on more devices in the world than any other OS in history, has helped push Google to the top... They really are an amazing company.

At this point, I agree, they should get things under control. They have the money and clout to man-handle the carriers the way that Apple does and TELL them how it is going to be... They can tell the carriers that updates are going to be pushed from Google directly, or at least from the Manufacturers, in a timely fashion, and then push those manufacturers to reduce the fragmentation...

What are they gonna do, leave Android? What will the carriers do, stop selling Android phones?

No way. The Android phones outsell Apple all day long. And Apple is already doing things the way that Google would be demanding, so leaving Android and only selling Apple wouldn't make any sense...

Google just needs to do it.

That was short-lived.:)

Adawg1203

May 9, 2011
Visit site
This is ultimately why I decided to use the 6s+. I've been using the Nexus 6p for the past week and yes "Doze" great but it only works while sitting still, doesn't work while in your pocket and your moving around. I was at work yesterday using the 6p, was busy and only used it once to make a call and look something up, just being in my pocket for the remainder of 8 hours it dropped 15%. If it was my 6s+ it would remain at 100% for what little I did, moving around or not, the battery for standby and actual usage can't be beat.

A battery will drain some throughout the day regardless of device. 15% after 8 hours isn't bad at all. By my math you could go 2 days before charging if not longer. You go on to say that is ultimately why you switched to using an iPhone 6s plus. I guess you are trying to squeeze several days out of a devices battery before charging.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
It wasn't user error. The fingerprint sensor on the Note 5 just isn't very good.

BTW, this is the first iPhone I've owned since the 4s came out five years ago.

I was using the iPhone 6 before I got tempted to try Android and got myself the Note 5.

I got so annoyed with the inconsistency of the fingerprint reader on the Note. Terrible I tell ya.

matt3166

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
A battery will drain some throughout the day regardless of device. 15% after 8 hours isn't bad at all. By my math you could go 2 days before charging if not longer. You go on to say that is ultimately why you switched to using an iPhone 6s plus. I guess you are trying to squeeze several days out of a devices battery before charging.

I'm not complaining about it at all. I'm just saying I expected a lot more from the 6p having the larger battery.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
In my experience, agree that the iPhone 5S, 6+ and 6S+ fingerprint readers work consistently every time. While the Note 5's scanner is a huge improvement over the Note 4's, agree that the N5 is not as good as the 6+ or 6S+.

anon(5719825)

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Standby time is a beast on the 6S Plus! Couldn't agree more with what you said! When I had my Note 5 in the past, for some reason that always bugged me...standby time on it. I use to charge to 100% before I went to bed. Something I do with every phone I gotten in the past. I unplug it at 10:30pm at 100....I get up at 4:30am in the morning. My Note 5 was between 95 - 97%. My iPhone I did the same thing...unplugged at 4:30am. Even drove to work and checked a few things like weather or emails. Then maybe around 7 or 8am it would finally drop to 99% lol.

After using the Note 5 now for a full day, I have gotten just over three hours screen time with it. I could get more if I was willing to turn down the brightness even more. I have the brightness just over halfway between the completely dim and halfway marks. I'll give up an hour of usage to be able to see and enjoy that beautiful display.

The battery is lasting me a full day now and that's good enough for me. I was worried I would have to plug in the charger half way through the day like I see half the people doing at my job with their S5 and S6 phones.

SquireSCA

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
That was short-lived.:)

But they said it would never happen, and it has, and Apple has it back by only the narrowest of margins.

And with Apple sales slipping, it will probably change hands again...

Apple needs to get back to innovating. They haven't done that in a long time. They are just milking their customer base for every penny and not really pushing the innovation any more...

tda7

Dec 25, 2015
Visit site
The problem is that the other phone makers are at such a fevered pace to sell new phone models that they create the fragmentation. If they just came out with a new phone each year and kept it updated, things would be easier. But each company wants to have 6 different phones, with new ones coming out every 6 months, times all the phone manufacturers, multiplied by each carrier, etc... And then you have VZW or ATT demanding carrier specific specs, etc...

It's not Android that is the problem, it is that with so many hands in the cookie jar, Android has to operate in that cluttered environment...

The upside of that fragmentation, is that you have a large pool of options to pick from.

Apple has a new product every 12-16 months... Your choices today are small or large, and then the choice of the color that will be placed under a case anyway. Before the + series, your option was 1 model, with different storage capacities.

On Android... what's your price point? You want a MicroSD slot? Removable battery? You need an HDMI port? What form factor? How about a slide out physical keyboard? Do you want an HD screen or not?

You can literally get the exact phone that you want... It's like going to 31 flavors... Versus the old Henry Ford days of, "You can have any color you want, so long as it's black"...

With choices and options, comes fragmentation... You can't have it any other way... If you want no fragmentation, your options are to move to a single hardware platform designed hand in hand with the software, and that means Apple, or the Nexus line...

The plus of Android's fragmentation, in addition to choices, is that it pushed the envelope further and faster for what a smartphone can do, faster than Apple. Apple may have started the ball rolling with the first iPhone, but Android has since taken the lead and is a juggernaut now and Google has officially taken Apple's place as the world's most valuable company. Android was a big part of it. Not because of the OS itself, but having Android on more devices in the world than any other OS in history, has helped push Google to the top... They really are an amazing company.

At this point, I agree, they should get things under control. They have the money and clout to man-handle the carriers the way that Apple does and TELL them how it is going to be... They can tell the carriers that updates are going to be pushed from Google directly, or at least from the Manufacturers, in a timely fashion, and then push those manufacturers to reduce the fragmentation...

What are they gonna do, leave Android? What will the carriers do, stop selling Android phones?

No way. The Android phones outsell Apple all day long. And Apple is already doing things the way that Google would be demanding, so leaving Android and only selling Apple wouldn't make any sense...

Google just needs to do it.

Completely agree. :)

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
But they said it would never happen, and it has, and Apple has it back by only the narrowest of margins.

And with Apple sales slipping, it will probably change hands again...

Apple needs to get back to innovating. They haven't done that in a long time. They are just milking their customer base for every penny and not really pushing the innovation any more...

As much as I enjoy my 6s Plus, I completely agree with that. Sure, iOS has had some changes and additions to it over the years, but for the most part, it looks the same as it did back in 2007.

And good Lord, don't even get me started on the garbage screen they put in the MacBook Air for $900 base price...

dbbolton2

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
I have gone between the IPhone and the Note 5 several times. I have finally settled on the iPhone 6s+. The reasons?

These are personal things that bothered me. Some people may never have these issues.

On the Note 5:

-Fingerprint sensor is inconsistent.
-I never used the stylus for all of the reasons I had convinced myself that I would.
-The battery life was never as good as the iPhone, especially standby time.
-I always had to swipe to enter into the phone. Even when the Smart Lock was enabled, I still had to swipe a lock screen.
-It seemed like there was a little lag, especially in browsing and scrolling.
-Kept hitting the power and volume buttons on the side.
-Samsung Pay never worked consistently. I eventually gave up on it. It was cool when it worked.

Just my two cents.

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
The Note 5 is the first Note in a long time that I've not had. The loss of removables just killed it for me. I'm pretty happy with my iPhones, even if there's not nearly as much to 'tinker' with. They just work consistently well.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
The Note 5 is the first Note in a long time that I've not had. The loss of removables just killed it for me. I'm pretty happy with my iPhones, even if there's not nearly as much to 'tinker' with. They just work consistently well.

Yeah, I liked the Note 5, but the OS is still a bit of a cluster. I miss being able to mess with my phones and do get a bit tired of the sea of icons on my iPhone, but it just works so well. Nothing really ever causes me problems. And that's huge.

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I liked the Note 5, but the OS is still a bit of a cluster. I miss being able to mess with my phones and do get a bit tired of the sea of icons on my iPhone, but it just works so well. Nothing really ever causes me problems. And that's huge.

So true.

MooMooPrincess

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site

Package disabler pro.. I disabled 250+ packages/apps in touch wiz and get 3 days of standby easy
and 10+ hours heavy user at 40% brightness. I see a 2-5 % battery loss but I see that for my iPhone anyway.

anon(5719825)

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Package disabler pro.. I disabled 250+ packages/apps in touch wiz and get 3 days of standby easy
and 10+ hours heavy user at 40% brightness. I see a 2-5 % battery loss but I see that for my iPhone anyway.

I'm happy with the battery life after one week. It's a huge improvement without disabling anything.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I gave Package Disabler Pro a try when I was still using my Note 5 a month ago.. It did help..

Still was terrible overall though compared to the 6S Plus, I can't imagine how good the iPhone's battery going to be when they go over 3000 mah!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro