Have you switched from a Note 5? Hindsight Appreciated!

Adawg1203

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, it presumes that owning an apple product makes you inherently more classy... It doesn't.

It also concludes that our factual and civil discussion of the pros and cons of each platform, is somehow... Unclassy? Lol

That's an interesting conclusion...

Well said.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
Right, time to get the thread back on track.

I miss my Note 5, but, ONLY for the form factor. What I mean by that, the Note 5 I had, seems to 'fit' my hand better. Maybe that had to do with the slightly curved back. Albeit, I had a very slimline case on it, too.

Still getting used to my iPhone 6s Plus, on day 3.

anon(9639454)

Sep 9, 2015
Visit site
Man, I am in a pickle between these two devices, I have the 6s Plus cause I passed the 14 days and couldn't return it and I love the note 5 for all the features you mentioned. I keep on buying the note 5 and then returning it cause i convince myself that i don't need two devices.!

Nutcase4u

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
I've switched back and forth so many times it's hard to count, but I may be sticking with the iPhone 6S Plus for a while. The most important features to me are camera (slight Note 5 advantage), text messages (HUGE iMessage advantage), battery life (iPhone gets MUCH better stand-by time), and aesthetics (Note 5 looked prettier to me, but it's subjective).
Yes, I miss tons of features about the Note 5: customization other than just wallpaper, stylus, beautiful screen, and file organization (like hooking up to a computer and digging right into the files I want and transferring them). Overall I think the features of the iPhone 6S Plus align with my needs slightly better than the Note 5 did, but who knows what the next generation of Android devices will bring to the table.

Glad to hear you're getting along nicely with the iPhone!

Jean Sagarese

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
I am actually considering going in the other direction from Apple to a Note or something else that is Samsung but I am stuck till June next year Most of the apps I currently use are already in the Google Play Store and since I can still use my outlook I will be fine

SquireSCA

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Well by then the Galaxy S7 will be out, and maybe some other options...

It all comes down to what you want.

The iPhone is an excellent phone. Android is better, but only if its advantages are things that matter to you. Pretty much anything that an iPhone does, an Android phone does, same goes for apps. But there is a fairly substantial list of things that an Android phone can do that the iPhone can't. If you need any of those things, then Android is the better fit.

If you want battery life above all else, get a Droid Turbo 2. The battery life on that beast is incredible. Easily double anything that Apple has.

Adawg1203

May 9, 2011
Visit site
The other feature I hope Apple incorporates into iOS is with regards to the dialer. On most android devices when you push digits, suggested names of the related contacts begin to pop up for the person you want to dial. Or you can start typing the persons name and their number will pop up automatically then you just hit the call button. It's a convenient feature without having to go into contacts to lookup the person then dial from there.

Hopefully I explained it correctly.

SquireSCA

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
You know, that is a really good point and feature. Not sure why Apple doesn't have that... I had that for so many years with Android that I no longer saw it as a "feature"... it was just how I thought every phone worked these days. Apparently not! haha

Gary K1

Feb 1, 2016
Visit site
I had the note 4 and I had so much trouble with it that I only had it for 15 months before I decided to switch back to Apple iPhone 6s. It was the best move I ever made not only does Apple maintain its battery life much better than android phones but it operates so much faster and better on the the network. Additionally your not having to Boost the phone or jump through hoops to maintain its performance.

Gary K1

Feb 1, 2016
Visit site
One android feature I miss, having come back to Apple is the ease of two way recording of phone calls whether the calls are incoming or outgoing. Apple phones don't really let you automatically record calls but android have several apps that work great. Google handwriting is also a great app/feature that Apple doesn't have. Still for me it was worth returning to Apple.

213ninja

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
I switched to the 6 plus after many many years on Android...since OG Droid actually. Of late though I had found the Samsung Note line very appealing, and went from Note 2 to Note 3 to Note 4, which is where I ragequit Android and bought an iPhone literally out of anger...and I'm glad I did. I still love Android and the freedom and power it offers, it's an amazing OS, but with that open platform you introduce control issues that I just couldn't tolerate anymore. I just needed something that worked, every day, and the iPhone (even running beta releases) does that for me. I actually upgraded to the iPhone 6s Plus when that came out, and I'm loving it.

The things I miss about my Note are:

- Folder and file control and management (download or side load anything from anywhere and do anything i want to or with it)
- Spen and it's suite of app integrations (arguably the greatest Touchwiz apps ever)
- Screen size. I love HUGE HD displays. I could carry a 6" phone easy, so that extra real estate is a big pro for me

And that's pretty much it. Not having Spen took some getting used to, but I'm over it. And screen size is really more of a nice to have, so the biggest loss for me is file management. I don't like beig forced to use specific applications to manage specific files. I deal with it though, and it's actually not often I find myself in a situation where it's an issue, although when I am in that situation, it's rather frustrating.

At the end of the day though, iPhone is doing what i want it to do, be reliable and fast, and that's what i love about it. I used to think I "needed" all of the customization capabilities Android offers, but in reality, tinkering with icons, icon grids, home screen layouts, and widgets was really a big waste of time for me, especially with OCD tendencies. Apple just puts it all in a fairly neat place, and presents it all well, and that suits me just fine.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm laughing at 213ninja. He\she is spot on.

Absolutely!

I switched to the 6 plus after many many years on Android...since OG Droid actually. Of late though I had found the Samsung Note line very appealing, and went from Note 2 to Note 3 to Note 4, which is where I ragequit Android and bought an iPhone literally out of anger...and I'm glad I did. I still love Android and the freedom and power it offers, it's an amazing OS, but with that open platform you introduce control issues that I just couldn't tolerate anymore. I just needed something that worked, every day, and the iPhone (even running beta releases) does that for me. I actually upgraded to the iPhone 6s Plus when that came out, and I'm loving it.

The things I miss about my Note are:

- Folder and file control and management (download or side load anything from anywhere and do anything i want to or with it)
- Spen and it's suite of app integrations (arguably the greatest Touchwiz apps ever)
- Screen size. I love HUGE HD displays. I could carry a 6" phone easy, so that extra real estate is a big pro for me

And that's pretty much it. Not having Spen took some getting used to, but I'm over it. And screen size is really more of a nice to have, so the biggest loss for me is file management. I don't like beig forced to use specific applications to manage specific files. I deal with it though, and it's actually not often I find myself in a situation where it's an issue, although when I am in that situation, it's rather frustrating.

At the end of the day though, iPhone is doing what i want it to do, be reliable and fast, and that's what i love about it. I used to think I "needed" all of the customization capabilities Android offers, but in reality, tinkering with icons, icon grids, home screen layouts, and widgets was really a big waste of time for me, especially with OCD tendencies. Apple just puts it all in a fairly neat place, and presents it all well, and that suits me just fine.

Yup. Pretty much my situation to a "T". I love Android. Love the customization and freedom. But there are exactly zero Android phones I trust in the same respect as an iPhone. We're in the same boat. Except I just joined the Apple bandwagon about a week before Christmas with the 6s Plus. Just got my iPad Pro today and I'll be picking up my Apple TV tomorrow.

anon(5719825)

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
I have a 6S+ and a 6S and still considering buying a Note 5.

I still have a Note 4 and a Note Edge and those two phones have been the most amazing Android phones I have ever owned. I don't know if anything can top them.

I will always buy the latest iPhone.

ShanAli8800

Feb 1, 2016
Visit site
I just bought iPhone 6s plus and am loving it, switching from Note 4. For me getting the 128GB model is the best decision i made. I am also considering uploading all the videos of the games i purchase just to show how silky smooth the software is. I cant post links because my post count is below 10 posts :(

SquireSCA

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Absolutely!

Yup. Pretty much my situation to a "T". I love Android. Love the customization and freedom. But there are exactly zero Android phones I trust in the same respect as an iPhone. We're in the same boat. Except I just joined the Apple bandwagon about a week before Christmas with the 6s Plus. Just got my iPad Pro today and I'll be picking up my Apple TV tomorrow.

I can see your point, which is why I preferred the Nexus phones. Those followed a similar design philosophy as Apple. Google designs both the hardware specs and the OS and software to go hand in hand, without all the skins, bloat and extra features.

Not that all those things are bad.. Samsung has added some cool stuff as others have noted. But Google has done an incredible job of polishing the UI and seamlessly integrating all of its services at the OS level, that it is every bit as fluid, elegant and refined as anything that Apple has ever put out...

Even the Google Photos app, I like better than Apples. It works much better IMHO, and you are not hit with the 5GB limit, which I am WAY over... Nice to run the Google app on either Android or iOS, and have it work the same and whatever pics I have or take on any device, are pushed within seconds to all the other devices, with unlimited storage..

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I can see your point, which is why I preferred the Nexus phones. Those followed a similar design philosophy as Apple. Google designs both the hardware specs and the OS and software to go hand in hand, without all the skins, bloat and extra features.

Not that all those things are bad.. Samsung has added some cool stuff as others have noted. But Google has done an incredible job of polishing the UI and seamlessly integrating all of its services at the OS level, that it is every bit as fluid, elegant and refined as anything that Apple has ever put out...

Even the Google Photos app, I like better than Apples. It works much better IMHO, and you are not hit with the 5GB limit, which I am WAY over... Nice to run the Google app on either Android or iOS, and have it work the same and whatever pics I have or take on any device, are pushed within seconds to all the other devices, with unlimited storage..

Yeah, I definitely prefer Nexus or as close to stock as possible. But even the latest Nexus phones have their share of issues. The 6P suffers from weak build, Bluetooth connectivity problems, LTE issues (especially on AT&T), and some other issues. This phone has been out since October and they still don't have this cleared up. I don't have problems like that on my iPhone. I prefer Android's OS (the customization and freedom to do more), but I don't prefer the problems that come along with that openness. I still use Google for everything else though and love the Google Photos App. Other than the App Store, I don't really use anything Apple specific.

SquireSCA

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, I definitely prefer Nexus or as close to stock as possible. But even the latest Nexus phones have their share of issues. The 6P suffers from weak build, Bluetooth connectivity problems, LTE issues (especially on AT&T), and some other issues. This phone has been out since October and they still don't have this cleared up. I don't have problems like that on my iPhone. I prefer Android's OS (the customization and freedom to do more), but I don't prefer the problems that come along with that openness. I still use Google for everything else though and love the Google Photos App. Other than the App Store, I don't really use anything Apple specific.

I had the Nexus 6, and to be honest had no issues with it. It was a solid phone, fast, great screen, awesome dual front facing speakers so when watching a video in landscape mode, you actually got loud, stereo sound out of it... Marshmallow was a great OS, everything just worked.

Not sure what teething problems the 6P had, I never tried that one...

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I had the Nexus 6, and to be honest had no issues with it. It was a solid phone, fast, great screen, awesome dual front facing speakers so when watching a video in landscape mode, you actually got loud, stereo sound out of it... Marshmallow was a great OS, everything just worked.

Not sure what teething problems the 6P had, I never tried that one...

I had no issues with the 6, either, other than the fact that it was a behemoth.

The 6P looks awesome. I think it's a great looking phone. Speakers and camera and screen are great too. I would absolutely use one... If it didn't have the issues it has. I need a phone that works and that I don't have to mess with constantly to get working correctly. Right now, the iPhone is it.

bookmark71

Dec 14, 2015
Visit site
Overall I wish I had stayed with the Note 5. I got a 128GB 6s when I switched carriers. I miss the screen on the Note. Not just the size but the quality of color and resolution. It is much better than my iPhone. The pen was handy and I really like how I could customize the launcher with Nova Launcher. My most used apps were on the bottom with the ability to swipe over a couple rows rather than pinning my 10 most used apps to one page. I also liked pinning a full screen calendar widget. The iPhone camera is good but the Note 5 was definitely better.

The iPhone runs a bit smoother and battery life is much better. I haven't really had an issues with iOS and it's nice that it is kept current. The Note is still waiting for Marshmallow - I thought it was going to get it at the end of December. So much for timely updates. All in all I miss my Note 5. The iPhone is nice but I wouldn't pick it over the Note unless you are locked into Apple's ecosystem.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR