Have you switched from a Note 5? Hindsight Appreciated!

ken28117

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
Interesting enough, I was a Note, Note 2, Note 3, Note 4 and finally a Note 5 power user when I switched back from the "Dark Side: to the Apple 6S +. Day to day usage because I use a flip cover is the iPhone won't turn off the screen automatically when you close the cover like the Note will if you use the Samsung cover (I am not using an Apple cover ).

Additionally I really miss the pen for quick notes and taking a photo....scribbling on it and sending it off as a text or email.

What I do Love on the S version is pressing on the screen and being able to slide my curser around on my text to correct spelling issues....but I wouldn't have as many of those issues if Siri wasn't so hard of hearing.... So I keep Google voice on my main screen to accommodate me for most things.

Battery is Awesome....camera sucks (can't beat Samsung Note 5 camera quality and speed) and now that they have incorporates a (sort of) back up button (on most apps screens in top left corner) it a bit easier.

If the Note 6 has a removable micro card, 128 memory, and either an Awesome large battery or removable one....I will switch back.

Otherwise as I have continued to say..... "If it looks like an iPhone, Smells like an iPhone, Taste like an iPhone..... I might as well buy an iPhone" they at least offered 128 memory without having to go to Korea to get it.

zocster

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Battery is Awesome....camera sucks (can't beat Samsung Note 5 camera quality and speed) and now that they have incorporates a (sort of) back up button (on most apps screens in top left corner) it a bit easier.

I have both, and find them comparable. Speed wise, definitely iPhone, there is a slight lag with any Android.

Adawg1203

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I have both, and find them comparable. Speed wise, definitely iPhone, there is a slight lag with any Android.

Tend to agree. I haven't noticed any lag on my Note 5. Weirdly, it feels snappier than the iPhone 6s. Either way to close to call. Just think that when it comes to the Note 5 or iPhone 6s Plus it boils down to personal preference. They both are rock solid.

tsparks1

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Tend to agree. I haven't noticed any lag on my Note 5. Weirdly, it feels snappier than the iPhone 6s. Either way to close to call. Just think that when it comes to the Note 5 or iPhone 6s Plus it boils down to personal preference. They both are rock solid.
I agree, they are both rock solid but with the 6s Plus ans 9.3 beta I just can't bring myself to use my Note 5 or Droid Turbo 2. Well, the Apple Watch too is a major factor. Just can't make myself like Android Wear.

jstplnfrank

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I found myself getting bored with my iPhone 6s Plus. So I convinced myself that I needed a second phone- a Note 5 to switch back and forth from.

I've had the Note 5 for a week and just switched back to my iPhone. I took the Note 5 on a business trip to give it a workout.

I really like the form factor and it looks great. But I'm not sure about the software- the phone lags and I just didn't find it as intuitive as my iPhone. Maybe I'm not giving it enough time, I'm thinking this Note is going back and I can stick with iOS for a while longer.

tntwit

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
My wife had the Galaxy S, S3, S5 and now the S6 (which I'm to understand has the same camera as the Note 5).

I had the Droid X, S3, 5C and now the 6S+.

I was very happy with the camera on the S3 and disappointed with the 5C, but I've been very happy with the 6S+.

I took a few night photos (which I think are the most challenging still photos) with the S6 and the 6S+ and found them to very similar, possibly in favor of the 6S+.

I've seen online comparisons where the Note looks better and others where there is little to no difference when looking at night shots (they all take good day shots), so maybe some review sites are inconsistent with shots. I don't know.

Even when I had the 5C and she had the S5, there were times when the 5C took better pictures, which maybe makes some sense when you consider reviews in general where one phone will shine in some types of photos and another phone is better at other types.

I thought maybe the Samsung was better at kids photos (you know, the ones where they move indoors and camera reviews NEVER talk about that), but unless Samsung made huge strides from the S5 to the S6, I struggled to get decent shots with the S5 of the kids just before she switched.

I should note that I'm a bit of a camera nut and I use Canon DSLRs for part of my job (not a professional photographer - I take photos of what we build) and also in my personal life. I am rather fussy about quality and definitely a pixel peeper.

I was rather hesitant to use the 5C for any work pictures, reserving for times when I had left the Canon back at the office. With the 6S+ I have no hesitations and find myself using it intentionally simply because of convenience. I have compared shots to the Canon and find the 6S+ compares very closely (for stills in fair lighting - DSLRs still rule for anything that moves, adjusting exposure, flash, manual focus, zooming, etc, etc), with only a slight edge to the Canon that you have to zoom in to see (but the lens is a factor and the work camera is a cheaper lens). You did not have to zoom to tell when photos were taken with the 5C and I credit most of that to the excellent OIS on the 6S+ compared to either digital stabilization or maybe no stabilization on the 5C.

There is no doubt that Samsung makes excellent cameras, and I'll continue to compare, but I'm not seeing the big differences that some are making it out to be, at least not with the S5 and S6.

I've been more than impressed with the 6S+, so I find all the negativity about it a bit surprising.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
...I took a few night photos (which I think are the most challenging still photos) with the S6 and the 6S+ and found them to very similar, possibly in favor of the 6S+.

There is no doubt that Samsung makes excellent cameras, and I'll continue to compare, but I'm not seeing the big differences that some are making it out to be, at least not with the S5 and S6.

I've been more than impressed with the 6S+, so I find all the negativity about it a bit surprising.

I have a 6s Plus and my wife has an S6 edge. The daylight photos to me are pretty much neck and neck. But the low light easily goes to the S6. We were at an indoor Jurassic Quest the other day, and in pictures with my phone of my daughter you could barely tell she was in them. My wife's phone, however, completely lit up the scene and you could see everything.

I'm not knocking the 6s Plus camera, because it is fantastic (and videos chasing around my daughter are incredible) - but in my experience, it's not the best at lowlight.

Nutcase4u

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
I agree with battery life being much stronger than the Note 5, and it's basically because of stand-by. When the iphone 6S+ screen is off it barely uses any power. If I unplugged my Note 5 at 6am and barely used it, by noon I had around 75-80% battery remaining. If I did the same for my iPhone 6S+ it would still have around 95% battery left! Both phones have roughly the same screen-on time, but when the screen goes off the iPhone takes a strong lead.
In regards to the lag, I had never experienced lag with the Note 5. I loved everything about that phone, but I missed key items like imessage and AirDrop. My wife would have to download a 3rd party app to send me uncompressed pics and video from her iPhone to my Note 5, which was just irritating. Ultimately I went back to the iPhone 6S+, but who knows what will happen down the road.

tntwit

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
I have a 6s Plus and my wife has an S6 edge. The daylight photos to me are pretty much neck and neck. But the low light easily goes to the S6. We were at an indoor Jurassic Quest the other day, and in pictures with my phone of my daughter you could barely tell she was in them. My wife's phone, however, completely lit up the scene and you could see everything.

I'm not knocking the 6s Plus camera, because it is fantastic (and videos chasing around my daughter are incredible) - but in my experience, it's not the best at lowlight.

If you press and hold on the screen where the subject is, it will lock the focus and exposure. This often results in a brighter exposure, you will see it on the screen before you take the photo.

jayzero76

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
i am using still my old iPhone 6 plus and just love it. everything just works. but i am not a hardcore user. i believe if you use your phone for more than just email, texting and streaming you better off with an android. i had a note 3 before and one of the best phones i owned. drag and drop is just better than using iTunes.

not a big fan of iOS but what i do with it just works for me.

Last edited:

Adawg1203

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I agree with battery life being much stronger than the Note 5, and it's basically because of stand-by. When the iphone 6S+ screen is off it barely uses any power. If I unplugged my Note 5 at 6am and barely used it, by noon I had around 75-80% battery remaining. If I did the same for my iPhone 6S+ it would still have around 95% battery left! Both phones have roughly the same screen-on time, but when the screen goes off the iPhone takes a strong lead.
In regards to the lag, I had never experienced lag with the Note 5. I loved everything about that phone, but I missed key items like imessage and AirDrop. My wife would have to download a 3rd party app to send me uncompressed pics and video from her iPhone to my Note 5, which was just irritating. Ultimately I went back to the iPhone 6S+, but who knows what will happen down the road.

Spot on.

Adawg1203

May 9, 2011
Visit site
My wife had the Galaxy S, S3, S5 and now the S6 (which I'm to understand has the same camera as the Note 5).

I had the Droid X, S3, 5C and now the 6S+.

I was very happy with the camera on the S3 and disappointed with the 5C, but I've been very happy with the 6S+.

I took a few night photos (which I think are the most challenging still photos) with the S6 and the 6S+ and found them to very similar, possibly in favor of the 6S+.

I've seen online comparisons where the Note looks better and others where there is little to no difference when looking at night shots (they all take good day shots), so maybe some review sites are inconsistent with shots. I don't know.

Even when I had the 5C and she had the S5, there were times when the 5C took better pictures, which maybe makes some sense when you consider reviews in general where one phone will shine in some types of photos and another phone is better at other types.

I thought maybe the Samsung was better at kids photos (you know, the ones where they move indoors and camera reviews NEVER talk about that), but unless Samsung made huge strides from the S5 to the S6, I struggled to get decent shots with the S5 of the kids just before she switched.

I should note that I'm a bit of a camera nut and I use Canon DSLRs for part of my job (not a professional photographer - I take photos of what we build) and also in my personal life. I am rather fussy about quality and definitely a pixel peeper.

I was rather hesitant to use the 5C for any work pictures, reserving for times when I had left the Canon back at the office. With the 6S+ I have no hesitations and find myself using it intentionally simply because of convenience. I have compared shots to the Canon and find the 6S+ compares very closely (for stills in fair lighting - DSLRs still rule for anything that moves, adjusting exposure, flash, manual focus, zooming, etc, etc), with only a slight edge to the Canon that you have to zoom in to see (but the lens is a factor and the work camera is a cheaper lens). You did not have to zoom to tell when photos were taken with the 5C and I credit most of that to the excellent OIS on the 6S+ compared to either digital stabilization or maybe no stabilization on the 5C.

Comparing the picture quality on my note 5 and 6s plus I find the note to be better and more consistent. This is evident by what others mentioned already about low light. I found even in good light the note outperforms the 6s plus.

That said the iPhone 6s Plus isn't close to my dslr picture quality. If I'm going to take a family portrait it will be with the dslr every time and not the 6s plus (other than for social media).

None of this means the 6s plus camera is bad because it's not. The iPhone camera really doesn't even have to have the "best" camera amongst its competition as the majority of people could care less. You'll get above average photos with the iPhone and that's really what is important in the end.

jnew619

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
The iPhone 6S Plus has been good for me, but I haven't been interested in it much since I bought it. Don't get me wrong, I use it all day everyday. But, I'm not really playing with it, or exploring features like I did with my Note 5. But I have been all over my iPad Air 2.

It's why I want to switch from my 6 plus to the note 5 bout to use the Samsung promotion I'm waiting for the note 5 to come in and yeah your right I've always been happy with iPhone but I never feel the need to keep messing with it unless I'm on a app or game but android however I keep wanting to play with haven't had a android as a daily driver in a while tho so I wonder...

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
It's why I want to switch from my 6 plus to the note 5 bout to use the Samsung promotion I'm waiting for the note 5 to come in and yeah your right I've always been happy with iPhone but I never feel the need to keep messing with it unless I'm on a app or game but android however I keep wanting to play with haven't had a android as a daily driver in a while tho so I wonder...

That's exactly why I stopped jumping phones and have settled on Apple. I got sick and tired of having to constantly play with the phone tweaking and exploring ways to get android bloat to stop lagging. As it is I'm stuck with a Sony Xperia Z3 for work and I've shut down almost everything but the bare minimum I need for work function.

I simply don't have time to be constantly messing with a phone. I deal with customers phone issues all day, every day. I like that mine works as intended.

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I love that I don't have to play with my iPhone to get it to work great. I've had many many many android phones and tablets and they can be fun to play with and beat into submission but I'm glad I don't need to do that with my iPhones and iPads. They just work and work well.

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I love that I don't have to play with my iPhone to get it to work great. I've had many many many android phones and tablets and they can be fun to play with and beat into submission but I'm glad I don't need to do that with my iPhones and iPads. They just work and work well.

I'm kind of in the same boat. Although I believe that I'm slowly losing interest in smartphones. And just having an iPhone and iPad makes more sense to me. Lol however it may not make sense to others. I'm researching mobile tech less. I go on the tech sites less. I don't listen to tech podcasts anymore. And these are good things. I'm glad that I'm spending less time and less money on this stuff. But as I step backward from mobile tech enthusiasm I find myself being more comfortable with the iPhone if that makes any sense.

Miska Hietala

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
That android phones seems snappiers is because they use smaller value in the transitions setup. Which you can change to be faster or slower. Where on iOS apple has decided which speed is best for users.
So android really isn't snappier.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm researching mobile tech less. I go on the tech sites less. I don't listen to tech podcasts anymore. And these are good things. I'm glad that I'm spending less time and less money on this stuff. But as I step backward from mobile tech enthusiasm I find myself being more comfortable with the iPhone if that makes any sense.

Being so "plugged in" to happenings in the tech world is the reason for me jumping around over the years. To that end I've unsubscribe from all but 1 tech channel on YouTube and always compare all the features of a device to how I actually use a phone. THAT will help keep me on the straight and narrow.

Adawg1203

May 9, 2011
Visit site
That android phones seems snappiers is because they use smaller value in the transitions setup. Which you can change to be faster or slower. Where on iOS apple has decided which speed is best for users.
So android really isn't snappier.

Respectfully disagree. I've done nothing to my Note 5 and it feels snappier than my 6s+. Whether it's true or not I don't know as they both are "beasts" in their own skin.

The term android device when compared to an iPhone gets thrown around too loosely IMO. There are so many different levels of android devices and not all are iPhone equivalents. Folks experiences with android will vary by device because you have choice but not all android devices are meant to compete with an iPhone pound for pound.

Today's top android devices give you top notch performance out the box without going into any developer options which most people don't do anyway.

The fact is, android software and manufacturer hardware is better and can match iPhone performance or exceed it depending on the device.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro