Is it impossible to get a perfect display in an iPhone?

GusHerb

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
I got both the replacement 6, and new 6S Plus today. The 6 was ok, cooler display then the last several, less dust than the last few, buttons are much better, less uniform than the last but only in the top right and bottom left corners and it's subtle so I'm getting over it. The 6S Plus on the other hand had the same annoying top to bottom warm/cool gradient issue as two out of the three prior ones. (even my mother could see it and her eyes don't see things unless they're not subtle)
So it looks like I'll just stay with my replacement 6 for the foreseeable future.

GusHerb

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
I must be the unluckiest person in the world with phones, turned my camera on and found a big artifact in the picture. Looked at the lense and it's dust under the lense cover...

JaneGL

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
That's what I hear every time someone goes through several defective devices. I don't believe that is quite true I think quality control is sacrificed for quantity instead.

At over $900 I expect to get what I pay for, not pay $900 and then get the quality of a $400 device.
It's something that's virtually impossible to prove. But I tend to believe it. A couple of times I've had issues that kept repeating 2-3 times from exchanges at the same store. So I decided to subscribe to the bad batch theory and drove to a different store in a different area and the device was fine. Could be sheer coincidence but it worked for me the 2 times I've run into this scenario

GusHerb

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
It's something that's virtually impossible to prove. But I tend to believe it. A couple of times I've had issues that kept repeating 2-3 times from exchanges at the same store. So I decided to subscribe to the bad batch theory and drove to a different store in a different area and the device was fine. Could be sheer coincidence but it worked for me the 2 times I've run into this scenario

If there is Indeed a bad batch now, and I'm starting to believe it because everyone I know that got an iPhone 6 between late last winter and last summer has a perfect device, then the batch of refurb 6's from the 43rd week of October are largely bad. I have my 4th phone on its way from that same batch and so far all the previous ones have been defective one way or another, the latest having dust in the camera rendering it unusable. I also received phones from September and August batches that had dead pixels but perfect backlighting.

mfldmike

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Just picked up another new 6s Plus and this one is perfect and flawless in almost every way 64GB Rose Gold TSMC no pressure issues...

Last edited:

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
There has got to be something OP is doing or something in his surroundings that is destroying his phones (magnetic field?????). I have bought an iPhone 6, 6 plus, and two iPhone 6s'. In the last year and every single one of them was perfectly fine.

GusHerb

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
There has got to be something OP is doing or something in his surroundings that is destroying his phones (magnetic field?????). I have bought an iPhone 6, 6 plus, and two iPhone 6s'. In the last year and every single one of them was perfectly fine.

I don't think dust under the glass, uneven backlighting, dead pixels, and the latest - dust in the camera lense, is caused by anything but poor manufacturing and QC.

I had an almost perfect run with iPhones before the 6 came around.

boltz82

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I would suspect that you got a bad batch of phones. Possibly the two from October were a bad batch and the December one was an anomaly.

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
I don't think dust under the glass, uneven backlighting, dead pixels, and the latest - dust in the camera lense, is caused by anything but poor manufacturing and QC.

I had an almost perfect run with iPhones before the 6 came around.

I just don't see how you are the only one I have heard of that has had so many different issues consecutively. Dead pixels and dust on every single iPhone. I am having a hard time believing you. Sorry to be so skeptical. Just my thought.

mfldmike

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
I never had an iPhone with a dead pixel...in fact, the only problem I've had was a camera issue in the 5S and the first 6S+ had a blackened area on the screen from a pressure issue.

Fit24

Trusted Member
Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
In my opinion, "a perfect display in an iPhone" is a relative term. That being said every iPhone display I've seen (including my own) has been free from defects.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I have to say the OP has had some unfortunate luck, but I have had iPhone 4, 4S, 5, 5S, 6 Plus, 6S Plus and about a few dozen Android phones too during that time and so far I have always beaten the odds on displays.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Mine and my wife's 6s plus had no flaws. Good back light, no dust, no flaws. Just recently I noticed 2 dead pixels on the top left of my screen so I took it to Apple. They tried replacing the screen but the new screen would take to the phone so Apple decide just to swap and give me a new phone. The new phone has no screen issues. Maybe your over inspecting looking for a littlest flaw. I'm not sure but rarely have I noticed screen issues.

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I recently decided to get an 'auxiliary' iPhone. First a space grey 6s, then gold 6s Plus, and finally settled on a gold 6s. All displays were/are flawless and my space grey 6s Plus also has a flawless display, from what I can tell.

Perhaps I'm just not picky enough .

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
OP - It just doesn't make sense to have so many issues. Sure I have seen a bad screen or two over the years, but never to the extent that you are claiming. As far as dust? Last time I saw dust under the glass was on a blackberry. I have bought a lot of iPhones over the years and while I have had my share of lemons, never have I experienced the frequency of problems that you are describing. I say post some photos so we can see that these claims are not fabricated.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
Well, almost all 6s Plus phones (probably the 6s as well, but I didn't look into them), have some of that "shadow" effect on some edges, typically at the top. It's the way the packed the components in and did the backlight or something. It's barely noticeable though. I wouldn't say there is such a thing as a perfect display, but at least from my experience so far your case looks to be a bit of a string of bad luck. Perhaps try a different shop.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73