Pandora for 4 hours phone battery went from 100% to 20

mach1man

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
Ok so is this normal for battery life, I was using pandora for 4 hours over wifi and bluetoothing to a speaker, phone went from 100% to 20%. There was very limited usage on anything else.

jfree3000

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Did you get better battery life using some other phone? 4 hours streaming to a device seems legit, I can't say for sure because I have never done that.

NoleScream

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Seems plausible. You're running two radios at the same time thanks to the bluetooth.

I streamed video yesterday over LTE for about 90 minutes and lost 20-25% battery in the process, so your mileage seems okay to me.

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
Listening to pandora on a Bluetooth speaker should not drain your battery that fast. Maybe if you were also using the phone "actual screen on time" and have a weak wifi signal, I could see it draining that fast. I am referring to an iPhone 6s or plus, If it is an older iPhone than maybe the battery is dying.

mach1man

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
No my phone is the 6s Plus and its only 2 months old, I'm going to re-try and test again. It may be that I have a weak signal from WiFi bc when I would turn on the lockscreen it would say slow connection buffering.. Damn junk work WiFi LOL

coldRooster

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I didn't know you can use wifi to stream and Bluetooth at the same time always heard its one or the other

Yes Sir. They are completely separate. Wifi/Data let your phone talk to the internet and Bluetooth lets your phone talk to other devices. I.e. Speakers, tvs, etc

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like you need a stronger wifi signal. Most likely has nothing to do with the phone. Try rebooting your modem/router.
But 4 hours of continuous streaming can do that.

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
No it doesn't seem reasonable at all. 4 hours of Pandora, are you kidding me? I go all day streaming Pandora on my 6s. It routinely outlasted whatever Bluetooth speaker I had hooked up to it.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
No it doesn't seem reasonable at all. 4 hours of Pandora, are you kidding me? I go all day streaming Pandora on my 6s. It routinely outlasted whatever Bluetooth speaker I had hooked up to it.

OP indicated a bad WiFi signal so that leads me to believe the phone is using more battery power for the struggling WiFi radio.

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
OP indicated a bad WiFi signal so that leads me to believe the phone is using more battery power for the struggling WiFi radio.

That is true, however the I rocked the iphone6 plus for a year before my 6s now, and even when I had poor LTE coverage I could stream Pandora or other radio apps for 6-8 hours before I went that low on battery. I am just saying I think you should take your 6s plus into apple and have them check it out. Seems to me like something is not right.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I've never had my battery die that fast while using Pandora & BT. If I'm streaming all day & using a BT headset while at my desk, I get at least 7hrs usage.

yacoby54

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Sounds more like some other app was running in the background as well. I stream Pandora for 6+ hours every day at work and I never get below 40% on my 6s. Now if I have some other app refreshing in the background or using my location then my battery goes down very quickly.

mach1man

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
Ok so since this post I have redone this, and I'm making it a day using pandora and Bluetooth.. Yesterday I went from 9am-7pm streaming bluetooth on my works wifi, I also used the phone for text messages, social media and games. Went from 100 to 50... didn't hit 20% till 11pm that night. All I did was turn my phone off and on again, guess I had a rogue app running in the background