Screen freeze

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

I just received my iPhone 6S Plus today.

From time to time the iPhone freezes when I try to unlock it or when I try to open an app. But after that, it runs smoothly again.

This is a similar problem I've seen on the forum threads.

Is this software related or hardware?

Currently running iOS 9.2

Thank you :)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't have an iPhone 6S Plus, but I can straight up tell you that I'm not experiencing any of that with my iPhone 6 Plus running iOS 9.2.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm actually tempted to buy one, but I'm fighting the urge...;)....Anyway, did you set it up as new or restored a backup to it? If the latter, you might want to set it up as new.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I'm actually tempted to buy one, but I'm fighting the urge...;)....Anyway, did you set it up as new or restored a backup to it? If the latter, you might want to set it up as new.

I set it up as new.

I might wait till a new software update maybe like iOS 9.2.1.

It's not that big of a problem but it does get annoying.

I don't think it's that big of an upgrade if you're currently using the 6 Plus. I used to use an iPhone 6 and wanted to try the Note 5. And now I'm back with the 6S Plus. I can tell you that it's a great phone.

Rmorton0573

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
I have a 6s Plus with no issues, but you just got this phone today and you are doing a lot of setup. The iPhone is doing a lot of work in the background too. Give it a day or two and it should smooth out for you. Enjoy your phone.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I have a 6s Plus with no issues, but you just got this phone today and you are doing a lot of setup. The iPhone is doing a lot of work in the background too. Give it a day or two and it should smooth out for you. Enjoy your phone.

+1....when I first got the phone, there were some slight delays & pauses when switching apps or unlocking the phone but that went away after a week or so. Mine has been smooth ever since.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, just give it a few days and remember it's a tiny Computer. As such, it's not perfect and you'll experience a glitch here and there. My 6s Plus runs great, but has little quirks. Many a hard reset will fix.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I will give it a week then. It's just that I've never experience something like this with my previous iPhones. I will get back to you guys in a couple of days. Thank you everyone :)

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I will give it a week then. It's just that I've never experience something like this with my previous iPhones. I will get back to you guys in a couple of days. Thank you everyone :)

Did you do a hard reset?
Hold the top or side power/sleep button and the home button at the same time until the Apple logo appears, then release.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Did you do a hard reset?
Hold the top or side power/sleep button and the home button at the same time until the Apple logo appears, then release.

I just did it after reading your post. Thank you :)

I didn't know you could do a hard reset. What does it actually do compared to a normal shut down?

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I just did it after reading your post. Thank you :)

I didn't know you could do a hard reset. What does it actually do compared to a normal shut down?

I think the hard reset fixed the lag when unlocking the lockscreen and the notification bar dissapearing for a few seconds after the unlocking of the lock screen.

clouds0222

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
I purchased my iPhone 6s Plus in November, before the 9.2 software update. Mine did the same thing. I would touch the Messages app or the Mail app and the icon would darken, but it would hesitate before opening. Not all the time, but it was noticeable. After I updated to 9.2 it has smoothed out.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Everything is smooth now after a hard reset. From time to time the status bar still diassapears for a few seconds after unlocking the device.

Ticojpunk

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
I've had this lag/freeze after unlocking on 4 iPhone 6s Plus's and 1 6s. A DFU restore through iTunes and setting up as new cleared it up on every one of them.

If it doesn't clear up after a number of days, try the DFU restore and make sure to set it up as new and not restore from a backup.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I've had this lag/freeze after unlocking on 4 iPhone 6s Plus's and 1 6s. A DFU restore through iTunes and setting up as new cleared it up on every one of them.

If it doesn't clear up after a number of days, try the DFU restore and make sure to set it up as new and not restore from a backup.

The lag/freeze is now gone, the status bar dissapearing after unlocking the device is the only thing left. But it rarely happens now.

Pretty happy after the hard reset :D

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
The lag/freeze is now gone, the status bar dissapearing after unlocking the device is the only thing left. But it rarely happens now.

Pretty happy after the hard reset :D

It resets things more than a soft reset. Things get a bit out of whack sometimes. The hard reset is akin to shutting down a computer, then turning it back on. These smartphones are tiny computers.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Mine is doing the same thing. I have maybe 6 apps other than the stock things. When I unlock, I can't use anything for a second or two, especially until the clock reappears at the top of the screen. I've done the hard reset a few times today and nothing seems to help. This is pretty annoying on an otherwise awesome phone.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Mine is doing the same thing. I have maybe 6 apps other than the stock things. When I unlock, I can't use anything for a second or two, especially until the clock reappears at the top of the screen. I've done the hard reset a few times today and nothing seems to help. This is pretty annoying on an otherwise awesome phone.

I've rebooted it again with a hard reset and it seems to work for awhile. But it comes back. Whenever I unlock the phone the clock isn't there and I can't interact with the phone at all until it reappears. It takes at least a second or two. And while I know this is a First World Problem, but it is still quite annoying on such a top shelf phone (in price and processor).

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site

I still have the status bar disappearing issue. When this happens the phone doesn't allow me to interact with it until the status bar reappears. Usually just takes a second but it's sometimes enough to be noticeable. And it definitely isn't every time I use the phone.

What is a DFU restore and does that mean I'd have to re-setup my whole phone?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox