Hello!

I just ordered my iPhone 6S Plus today and it'll arrive tomorrow.

Is it best for me to use it straight out of the box? Or charge it first to 100% after setting it up? I don't want to ruin the battery life =P

Upgrading from the Note 5, before that I used to rock the iPhone 6.

Always wanted the Plus version
    12-14-2015 09:31 PM
    It will come charged and you can use it straight out of the box. I recommend draining the battery until the phone dies and then charging it to 100% without interruption just to calibrate it. Enjoy!
    TripleOne and MooMooPrincess like this.
    12-14-2015 10:56 PM
    There is no need to drain a battery to calibrate it. Phones are smarter than that these days, and it actually hurts it more than it helps. Phones (iPhone) have lithium-ion batteries and do not have the memory issues the old nickel cadmium batteries had. Cnet has a very good article on battery do's and do nots.
    TripleOne, Shyuan and Ledsteplin like this.
    12-15-2015 03:10 AM
    Cnet has a very good article on battery do's and do nots.
    I don't even follow those. Every device I have, I use the battery down to about 5% and then I put it on the charger. There are times when I leave a phone connected to the charger for a full day or two and have done this since 2007 when I bought my first iPhone. No damage has ever come to any of my phones doing this. Like you said, batteries these days are smart. Use it the way you want and don't worry about damaging the battery. You won't.
    Just_Me_D and TripleOne like this.
    12-15-2015 05:58 AM
    Thanks guys!

It is out for delivery. I will use it straight out of the box
    Shyuan likes this.
    12-15-2015 07:46 AM
    It will come charged and you can use it straight out of the box. I recommend draining the battery until the phone dies and then charging it to 100% without interruption just to calibrate it. Enjoy!
    This does not apply to modern Li-Ion batteries.
    Shyuan likes this.
    12-15-2015 01:36 PM
    This does not apply to modern Li-Ion batteries.
    Yes and no. Calibrating the phone to the battery definitely does apply to modern lithium ion batteries. Battery memory, where the battery would think it was full when it wasn't, thereby losing capacity, does not apply.
    Not Quite Right likes this.
    12-15-2015 01:38 PM
    I just received my 6S Plus! So far so good, will be charging it to 100% tomorrow and see how the battery goes.
    Rob Phillips likes this.
    12-15-2015 03:48 PM
    I just received my 6S Plus! So far so good, will be charging it to 100% tomorrow and see how the battery goes.
    Congratulations on getting your new iPhone 6S Plus...
    TripleOne likes this.
    12-15-2015 03:51 PM
    Congratulations on getting your new iPhone 6S Plus...
    Thank you! I love it!!

Best iPhone so far.
    Just_Me_D and Shyuan like this.
    12-15-2015 04:17 PM
    Thank you! I love it!!

Best iPhone so far.
    Agreed! Call me biased but I'd go as far as saying it's the best phone so far, period.
    TripleOne and Shyuan like this.
    12-15-2015 04:53 PM
    Agreed! Call me biased but I'd go as far as saying it's the best phone so far, period.
    I know right!

Wooooh!
    12-15-2015 06:00 PM
    Calibrating the phone to the battery definitely does apply to modern lithium ion batteries
    Nope. Maybe (and that's a strong "maybe") some circuitry or software that is designed to monitor battery status, but not the Li-Ion battery itself. Don't know why this myth persists...

Battery tips straight from Apple. Notice there is nothing about "calibrating" a Li-Ion battery...
    12-16-2015 01:54 PM
    Nope. Maybe (and that's a strong "maybe") some circuitry or software that is designed to monitor battery status, but not the Li-Ion battery itself. Don't know why this myth persists...

Battery tips straight from Apple. Notice there is nothing about "calibrating" a Li-Ion battery...
    Everyone is entitled to their opinions. Thank you for sharing yours.
    12-16-2015 02:21 PM
    Should I charge my new iPhone 6S Plus to 100% before using?-imageuploadedbyimore-forums1450294376.091511.jpg

I'm very impressed so far.

Amazing battery life. Very satisfied.
    Rob Phillips likes this.
    12-16-2015 02:33 PM

Never was the battery that was calibrated. It's the % thingy in the status bar that gets calibrated. As a battery wears down and discharges quickly, the % indicator can't keep up. This causes odd things to show and happen. Like the phone going dead at 25%. Calibrating kind of resets the % thingy.
    TripleOne and Rob Phillips like this.
    12-16-2015 02:43 PM
    Everyone is entitled to their opinions. Thank you for sharing yours.
    FYI not an opinion .. it is fact. For some reason people think modern Li-Ion batteries are similar to legacy NiCard batteries that had the "memory effect" and could be calibrated of sorts by fully discharging and then charging the device. This simply is not the case with Li-Ion batteries. In fact they perform better if charged more frequently and NOT drained to empty since they have a charge lifecycle that deteriorates the battery strength. No amount of perceived "conditioning" or "calibration" will fix this. Someday maybe this false opinion will stop spreading...
    12-16-2015 04:04 PM
    Never was the battery that was calibrated. It's the % thingy in the status bar that gets calibrated. As a battery wears down and discharges quickly, the % indicator can't keep up. This causes odd things to show and happen. Like the phone going dead at 25%. Calibrating kind of resets the % thingy.
    This is kinda what I was referring to -- the software that monitors and reports battery percentage
    12-16-2015 04:05 PM
    Oh wow, that must have been why my iPhone 5 used to die randomly out of nowhere when it's around 10-15%.
    12-16-2015 04:07 PM
    FYI not an opinion .. it is fact. For some reason people think modern Li-Ion batteries are similar to legacy NiCard batteries that had the "memory effect" and could be calibrated of sorts by fully discharging and then charging the device. This simply is not the case with Li-Ion batteries. In fact they perform better if charged more frequently and NOT drained to empty since they have a charge lifecycle that deteriorates the battery strength. No amount of perceived "conditioning" or "calibration" will fix this. Someday maybe this false opinion will stop spreading...
    If you refer to my previous response I stated the exact same thing. Calibrating refers to making sure the phone and the battery itself are on the same page with how much battery life is remaining. My response also stated that lithium ion batteries are not subject to the memory effects of NiCad batteries. I'm well aware that there's no need to condition an iPhone's battery.
    Obviously there's a breakdown of communication somewhere. We are saying basically the same thing.
    Last edited by DevilishBanker; 12-16-2015 at 04:41 PM.
    12-16-2015 04:16 PM