I am currently on Sprint but might be switching carriers soon (AT&T or T-Mobile). If I buy an iPhone through iPhone Upgrade Plan, I know it has to be activated in store. Once it's activated, does it lock to that network? I want to be able to buy while on Sprint but keep my options open and possibly switch in a few months if I need to. Is that possible?
    11-19-2015 09:23 PM
    Yes it's possible. Since you're more or less paying full price for your phone it comes unlocked. It has to be activated on a carrier plan at the store but you're free to do what you want with the device afterward, including switching carriers.
    dwd3885 likes this.
    11-19-2015 09:41 PM
    If you buy a phone through the Apple iPhone upgrade program, it will be unlocked for any carrier and stay unlocked no matter what carrier you activate it on. If you buy it through your carrier, most likely it will be locked to that carrier.
    11-20-2015 11:58 PM
    See this is weird cause I bought my mom an iPhone through the upgrade program at Apple with AT&T and when I took it home I checked the imei with cricket and T-Mobile both said the phone wasn't compatible with service and then I put my T-Mobile sim in the phone and it didn't work. Had to have AT&T unlock the phone.
    11-22-2015 12:43 AM
    See this is weird cause I bought my mom an iPhone through the upgrade program at Apple with AT&T and when I took it home I checked the imei with cricket and T-Mobile both said the phone wasn't compatible with service and then I put my T-Mobile sim in the phone and it didn't work. Had to have AT&T unlock the phone.
    Ya sounds to me Apple gives you the phone that works with your service I would confirm with them what the rules are about switching on networks that don't like activating others phones etc
    11-22-2015 02:34 AM
    Ya sounds to me Apple gives you the phone that works with your service I would confirm with them what the rules are about switching on networks that don't like activating others phones etc
    I got the phone unlocked and it worked with my T-Mobile sim.
    11-22-2015 02:35 AM
    I got the phone unlocked and it worked with my T-Mobile sim.
    Yes because technically in their eyes you own it like full retail so they will unlock it
    11-22-2015 02:36 AM
    Yes because technically in their eyes you own it like full retail so they will unlock it
    Also it was from my moms account and her contract was up.
    11-22-2015 02:36 AM
    You have to get the sim free version they offer.
    11-22-2015 10:13 PM