iPhone 6s Plus size?

I

iMore Question

Hello, I'm getting a new phone and was pretty set on going with the iPhone 6s, but I'm curious about peoples' experiences with the normal and the plus. My concern is with the plus's size, as I am a small person (to say the least, at 5' my hands are tiny. I generally wear jackets with big pockets, so that's not a problem, but handling the phone is. I never use landscape mode on any phone, which from articles I've read that's been a major complaint of the plus. And I am a photographer (I usually use my DSLR, but when that's not available..) and have an appreciating for aesthetics (I like "big screens;" more detail) so those are the obvious reasons I want it (battery life is a 'plus'). But I'm still unsure, because what's the point if I can barely use it! So any help from experience would be greatly appreciated: 6s or 6s plus?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to iMore! I have a 6s Plus and before that I owned a 6 Plus. Needless to say, they're very big phones. I love them though and can't imagine going back to a smaller device anytime soon. That being said, it's a matter of personal preference. I recommend going to an Apple Store, or another retailer that sells both devices, and testing them both out first hand. Get a feel for both sizes and go with what feels right. If you decide to go with the 6s Plus you have 14 days to return it if you change your mind.

Matt-B

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to iMore! I have a 6s Plus and before that I owned a 6 Plus. Needless to say, they're very big phones. I love them though and can't imagine going back to a smaller device anytime soon. That being said, it's a matter of personal preference. I recommend going to an Apple Store, or another retailer that sells both devices, and testing them both out first hand. Get a feel for both sizes and go with what feels right. If you decide to go with the 6s Plus you have 14 days to return it if you change your mind.

Last year I got the 6+ first but it was too big for me so I swapped to the 6. This year I got the 6S+ and it's perfect - I just needed to get used to it.

It's a tough choice. Good Luck.

(Bonus tip: when I was deciding if I should get the 6S+ I use a 6+ case I got last year to see how it would fit in my pants. I carried it around with my 6 inside to get a feel for it.)

Ticojpunk

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
Last year I got the 6+ first but it was too big for me so I swapped to the 6. This year I got the 6S+ and it's perfect - I just needed to get used to it.

It's a tough choice. Good Luck.

(Bonus tip: when I was deciding if I should get the 6S+ I use a 6+ case I got last year to see how it would fit in my pants. I carried it around with my 6 inside to get a feel for it.)

This post is so close to home I actually thought I wrote it.

I got a Plus last year, but just didn't feel comfortable with it and exchanged it for a 6 and was very happy. This year I went into the Apple Store and the 6S Plus just felt better. I think the increased weight actually helps it feel more stable in my hand(s).

I also had a 6+ case I toyed around with from time to time, sticking my 6 in it. After doing that for a bit, it didn't feel so big anymore. I'm glad I did that little "trick". It kept things in perspective. I appreciated the stealthiness of my 6, but I started craving the larger phone. I'm getting on with the 6S Plus very well this year. I've even got pretty good with one handed use in most situations.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I went from a 5s to the 6 Plus and three months later purchased the 6s Plus. I must admit, it took some getting use to the size of the 6 Plus/6s Plus and I could never go back to a smaller screen size, my aging eyes will have none of that...SMILE

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm just the opposite of you: I'm a big guy (6'4) with big old godzilla hands. Using a regular size phone was actually somewhat difficult for me. I used an iPod Touch for a few years and the on-screen keyboard was almost useless to me in portrait mode. Phablets were a life saver for me and both the 6s+ and my previous Note 3 were just the right size for me to do everything comfortably.

They are definitely a little unwieldy for actual phone calls. I had a tiny phone back in the feature phone days and that thing was awesome for phone calls (it didnt do much else besides a match 3 game though....). One thing I miss about owning a smaller phone is how much easier it is to handle as an actual phone.

But like a couple of other posters said: definitely try to hit up an Apple store or another store near you with demo units and check them out. The 6s+ isn't going to do you any good if it is uncomfortable to use. If I couldn't use it one handed, I know I wouldn't bother.

sangs

Trusted Member
Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
It's funny, when I first moved from a 5S to a 6+, I said, "No way. This is too big." Returned the 6+ and kept my 5S. But this year, with the 6S+ thought I'd give it another try. Now, when I pick up my old 5S, I feel like I'm playing with a kids toy. :) Can't imagine using a smaller phone anymore. You really do get used to the size after a short while.

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
This question can never be asked enough ...

Or, discussed enough.

The sizes between the two phones is polarizing. I had the 6 before the recent launch, and was looking forward to experiencing the larger size 6s+ because of the screen size and battery life. When I got it, I had not realized what a priority one-handed use (nearly impossible on the 6s+, no matter what anybody says) was to me, and the bulkiness of it, compared to the smaller device when carried in the pocket of most dress slacks (which is my daily attire).

That said, although I really enjoyed the added screen real estate and the longer battery life...I made the switch back to the smaller 6s, and have been a lot happier since. To me, it was the right decision to make. I'm glad I had the 14-day grace period to try the larger device and make a choice too!

The 6s & 6s+ are both awesome devices, but IMO priorities need to be thought about before making a decision on which to get for your daily driver. It's a very personal decision, however...and it doesn't matter what anybody here or anywhere else says.

I will add that, I do miss the larger screen at times...and if Apple does a hardware change for the iPhone 7+ that does away with the huge bezels on top and on either side of the screen that add to it's size (a la Samsung & others), I will definately opt for the larger phone at that time.

clouds0222

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
I too have had a hard time deciding between the 6s and the 6s Plus. I tried my old 6 from last year just to see how it felt after using a 6 Plus for a while, and it really felt too small. The only time I used it one-handed was driving, (I know bad habit) but the 6s Plus has stopped that, so that's a good thing. The bigger screen and better battery life are really hard to ignore. But you have to decide which is better for you. I use my 6s Plus for everything now and never break out my iPad Mini anymore.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
If you're a one handed user a lot, then the Plus size may not be for you with those small hands. If you don't mind using 2 hands, then it might work for you. I went from an iPhone 5 to the iPhone 6s Plus. I'm a 2 handed user. I used 2 hands with my iPhone 4. But I love the 5.5' screen.

MooMooPrincess

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
The stock keyboard is REALLY tiny and with your small hands it should be a good fit (i can barely get a sentence correct lol), if you two hand or learn to one hand pro everything (i have small fat hands lol) then you should be fine. If not you can always go to the 6s

Ticojpunk

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
İ want to know is there a diiference in camera quality between the 6s and 6s+? Does the 6s+ produces better pictures?

Posted via the iMore App for Android

You may notice a difference in low light, as the OIS helps keep things sharp and avoid blur. And it makes a big difference in video if your hand is moving around. But for still, both are awesome. Every little bit of stabilization helps though, and that's why I'm holding the 6S Plus in my hands.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
It's a very personal decision, however...and it doesn't matter what anybody here or anywhere else says.
OMG! Someone actually gets this! ... :)
Now if we could make this the default response to:
Naked or case ?
What color of iPhone?
Which size iPhone?
And Do I need a screen protector?
Maybe my headaches, and nose bleeds would go away while reading the forums ...

Ticojpunk

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
This size thing really is funny the way it plays out. I posted earlier in this thread, saying how last year I started with a Plus, then moved to a 6. And this year I went right to the 6S Plus and that I've been very happy with it. But as much as I like it, after a week or two, the size is beginning to wear on me. Part of it is my insistence on using it the best I can one-handed. I often need to. Sometimes I'm holding something else in my hand. I might be my tea mug, it might be a flashlight at work, or some other tool. Sometimes it's a students iPad that I'm looking at while simultaneously looking up their login info on my phone.

So, I was content and determined to commit to the Plus for the year and see how it goes, but I'm starting to really miss the size of the regular 6. It really was ideal. Things I'd miss...

Screen resolution. I notice a difference, a significant difference. The regular 6S screen is still one of the best around, but the Plus is just better.

I'll miss OIS obviously. This is a big one. I'm very into taking video of my kids, and OIS is very, very nice to have, and it's becoming sort of a standard on the major flagships. I'm extremely disappointed Apple didn't try to get it in to the 6S, but maybe next year (which is another caveat that makes me want to keep the Plus, as I don't want to feel compelled to upgrade again next year in order to get OIS on the regular size phone).

I'll miss using Zoomed mode without it making the interface feel cramped and oversized. On both the regular and Plus, I prefer Zoomed screen mode. On the Plus it works out because I don't find landscape homescreen very useful, and I don't like the crazy-busy keyboard in landscape either. Zoomed mode takes care of all of that on the Plus. Zoomed on the regular iPhone, you lose a row of icons, and everything gets a little TOO big. It looks, clownish in a way on the regular 6 (you know, like a big red nose or oversized clown shoes).

I read a lot on the iPhone. Sometimes it's news, iMore, MacRumors. At work it's Google Sheets and Docs, and PDFs. I have terrific eyesight, but getting older and eye strain becomes more of a reality. My eyes definitely appreciate the Plus. More content on a screen, and larger, and crisper (there's that resolution/PPI thing again).

I don't use iMovie very much, but I have created little family videos right on my 6. It'd be way easier and more pleasurable working on the Plus screen.

The obvious battery life benefits would be missed, but not THAT much. My old regular 6 got me through my work day just fine. I took it off charger at 7:30. Worked a 7.5 hour day, with 30-50% battery left, and charged in the car on my way home from work, and got home back at 100%. I have a little Anker battery pack that I used to use when I was out just in case, but really never needed it. Maybe these benefits will seem more valuable during the warmer months when I'm taking day trips with the family and taking lots of pictures and what not.

As I'm writing this, I'm realizing that I really do want to stick it out with the Plus. There's things I miss about the smaller phone, but there's plenty I've written about above that I'd miss by leaving the Plus.

It's definitely not a clear cut choice, at least not for me. I can say though, that if Apple announced today that there was a 5.2" iPhone with OIS, I'd be exchanging my Plus for that. I really think it's just a bit too big. Not by a lot, but, if it was shaved down here and there, it'd be quite comfortable. Imagine the bezels on, and overall size of, the Samsung Note 5. Now shrink that screen to 5.5" (or 5.2") and keep the bezels proportionate. That would be an incredible iPhone right there.

purwater

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I've done the back and forth a dozen times like a lot of people here have done. I got the 6 when one finally became available last year. I ordered my wife the 6 plus, and she got hers after I got mine. After I used hers some I got the itch and ordered myself a 6 plus. Then began my back and forth because the size of the 6 was so nice, but I missed the screen and battery life. I did the same thing a couple years ago with my 5s and my Galaxy Note 2. I eventually sold the Note. Finally I told myself I was going to use the plus for a solid month with no swapping. After I did this I got over the larger size and the 6 went in the drawer as a backup phone. I ended up selling it. Now I've just upgraded to the 6s plus, and I'm sticking with the larger size going forward. Too many things to keep me from going back now.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Ideal would be one of each depending on doing sports, wearing shorts, or doing work.

Most telling for me having a 6 and 6s Plus both for a bit was the battery use app. A week with larger screen shows more time with email, accounting, a OneNote file shared for work, and reading my newspaper apps. Basically a good work tool but at times you notice the size.

Another use aspect to remember is battery life and optical image stabilization.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2