I'm thinking of going to the dark side, can you help?

anon(7901790)

Dec 24, 2015
Visit site
I've been a smartphone user for about 10 years and have never used an iPhone. Began with BlackBerry then Android and now Windows phone.

I loved my BB but they lost sight of the consumer and look where they are now.

Android was very good but each device manufacturer has their own interface and apps on top of the OS and you cannot get rid of all the bloatware.

I tried Windows phone hoping that with Windows 10 the integration between my PC, SP3 and phone would be seamless. But it seems like Microsoft is not really serious about phone and is only producing new devices for the longtime die hards. They haven't done anything to get developers on board.

With the iPhone stronghold here in the US both Microsoft and Google are producing their apps for iPhone, sometimes better than the ones on their own OS.

What are the pros & CONS of the iPhone and Apple?

TIA for your assistance.

I'm a former Windows Phone user too...Lumia Icon. Although W10M is the superior OS, you're correct in that it has severe app shortage. I had no problems with integration between my Icon, SP3, and HP Desktop. Cortana helped a lot. With that being said...

I switched from W10M to Android (M9, I've own Samsung's as well), then to iPhone. I've also owned a Palm Treo and a couple Blackberries at one time too.

The reason I switched was Microsoft let me down by not including CDMA in the 950/950XL (I'm on Verizon), and I'm not going to switch carriers just because of a device. I went back to Android for a few months, but quickly realized why I left in the first place. Herky jerky operation, added bloatware, and just general inconsistencies within Android ecosystem. Even though iOS has several shortcomings, it offered a consistently smooth experience.

I also found out, that iOS integrates rather well with Microsoft (except for Cortana, which I miss). My photos upload automatically to OneDrive, and all of the Microsoft apps run really well. The one small exception is that OfficeLens is definitely better on Windows Mobile. It does multi-page PDF whereas the Android and iOS versions do not.

The camera is a LOT better on my Icon though. The 6s Plus's camera is responsive and good for normal lighting, but under low-lighting it is mediocre at best. There are certain customizations you can not do on iOS, like quick action buttons. It is also not Miracast or Chromecast compatible.

Touch ID is really nice. It's really fast....some would say too fast, but I like the responsiveness of it. Also, 3D touch is nice too. Outlook is 3D touch enabled. The battery life is really good on the 6s Plus. I can go pretty much the whole day without worrying about recharging. By the time I put it on the charger I'm at around 30(ish)%. The screen is pretty good, but I thought the screen on my Icon and M9 were excellent too.

The key though is that it integrates with my Microsoft stuff. Better than Android, that is for certain.

If Microsoft can solve the app problem, then I would probably go back to them. But I am NOT going back to Android... And make no mistake, I am NOT going to get myself a Mac or an iPad either. I love my SP3, and I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 (Nook variant); and they both are awesome.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Pros:
Build quality
Ease of use
"It just works"
integration with other Apple systems

Cons:
iTunes is clunky and unwieldy
Getting music on and off the phone is awkward

At the end of the day, this is purely my opinion. Your mileage may vary.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Pros:
Build quality
Ease of use
"It just works"
integration with other Apple systems

Cons:
iTunes is clunky and unwieldy
Getting music on and off the phone is awkward

At the end of the day, this is purely my opinion. Your mileage may vary.

^^^^THIS^^^^

Plus, if you appreciate design and attention to detail there's just no competing with Apple. And software updates are fast and frequent. If you've been an Android user you'll appreciate that.

J_Thomas

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
Plus, if you appreciate design and attention to detail there's just no competing with Apple. And software updates are fast and frequent. If you've been an Android user you'll appreciate that.
Exactly! Been on Android forever until 6S Plus came out, it is so nice being able to update to newest iOS the day it comes out, love that!! Also, the apps look and run so much better than the Android version of the same app, it's a big difference.

Bpschoon81

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
I just went from iOS to Android and am pretty happy. The biggest issue for me with iOS besides the messed up communication between apps is its now 14+ months since the iPhone 6 Plus was released and they're are still many major apps that I use frequently that have not been optimized. Delta, Comcast, Watch ESPN, Roku, PayPal, the list goes on, that look like crap on my iPhone 6s Plus. The iOS apps themselves have no additional functionality over their Android counterparts, which look great on the Nexus 6p I just bought.

I've been using iPhones since the days of the 4, but the notion that iOS apps are just better is no longer true. I am having a much better experience on Android because not only are they screen optimized, but they share across the system much better. That and the Google Keyboard being a god send have lured me away.

anon(5719825)

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
I just went from iOS to Android and am pretty happy. The biggest issue for me with iOS besides the messed up communication between apps is its now 14+ months since the iPhone 6 Plus was released and they're are still many major apps that I use frequently that have not been optimized. Delta, Comcast, Watch ESPN, Roku, PayPal, the list goes on, that look like crap on my iPhone 6s Plus. The iOS apps themselves have no additional functionality over their Android counterparts, which look great on the Nexus 6p I just bought.

I've been using iPhones since the days of the 4, but the notion that iOS apps are just better is no longer true. I am having a much better experience on Android because not only are they screen optimized, but they share across the system much better. That and the Google Keyboard being a god send have lured me away.

Android phones will upscale any app that you install so that they look good no matter what screen size you are using and so they seem as though they are screen optimized. iOS does not do this and so this is why it is up to the app developers to do this and many have not done so.

I have some apps that use the system setting that I have for font size. Though I have a larger setting for fonts on my iPhone, the setting doesn't always carry over to many of my apps and in some apps, the font sizes are very small.

There are a lot of inconsistencies on the iOS side.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Android phones will upscale any app that you install so that they look good no matter what screen size you are using and so they seem as though they are screen optimized. iOS does not do this and so this is why it is up to the app developers to do this and many have not done so.

I have some apps that use the system setting that I have for font size. Though I have a larger setting for fonts on my iPhone, the setting doesn't always carry over to many of my apps and in some apps, the font sizes are very small.

There are a lot of inconsistencies on the iOS side.

I personally disagree with "a lot of inconsistencies on the iOS side", if anything iOS is the most consistent OS on the market today. It just works compared to the other platforms.

I'm currently looking at the Blackberry Priv. Blackberry has a special place in my heart probably because it was my first smartphone platform that I used, and with the combination of Blackberry and Android combined into one device I will be able to use all of my Blackberry apps and Android apps on one device. I have a lot of apps on both platforms just sitting there. I will continue my research and see if this could/will be my secondary device.
I do miss my customization and the Blackberry Priv could be the answer.

My iPhone will remain my daily driver....IT JUST WORKS.

anon(5719825)

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
I still use the iPhone as my daily phone and always will. I still stand by my statement that It has a few inconstancies and a few bugs.

Yesterday, I enabled hey Siri for the first time. I saying all the things it asked me to and I went to the home screen to try it out, I said hey Siri and the phone rebooted. I originally thought all my reboots were because my 6S+ was jailbroken so I upgraded to 9.2 and the random reboots still happen. My 6S came with 9.1 installed so I never got to jailbreak it and it has done the random reboot as well.

There have been a few times where I just can't unlock either phone and touches or swipes just don't register. It eventually works after the phone sleeps but that's annoying. It's doubt that it's hardware since both phones do it, has to be software related. There's a thread on MacRumors about this very same thing.

My 6+ is still jailbroken and it seems to be pretty solids far as any reboots go. I don't remember this phone rebooting at all.

Last edited:

Ariel Babalao

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Yesterday, I enabled hey Siri for the first time. I saying all the things it asked me to and I went to the home screen to try it out, I said hey Siri and the phone rebooted. I originally thought all my reboots were because my 6S+ was jailbroken so I upgraded to 6.2 and the random reboots still happen. My 6S came with 6.1 installed so I never got to jailbreak it and it has done the random reboot as well.

How comes and your 6S came with iOS 6.1 installed? And how did you arrive to upgrade your 6S+ to iOS 6.2? I'm confuse.

anon(5719825)

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
How comes and your 6S came with iOS 6.1 installed? And how did you arrive to upgrade your 6S+ to iOS 6.2? I'm confuse.

I ordered my 6S from T-Mobile and it came with 9.1 installed, sorry I typed 6.1 earlier. It started having a problem with losing the signal several times a day so I upgraded it to 9.2. It still loses the signal now about once a week (I've had it for two weeks) but I have no intentions of taking it to Apple unless it never acquires a signal again. All I have to do now is reboot.

I corrected my error in my above post.

Ariel Babalao

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I ordered my 6S from T-Mobile and it came with 9.1 installed. It started having a problem with losing the signal several times a day so I upgraded it to 9.2. It still loses the signal now about once a week (I've had it for two weeks) but I have no intentions of taking it to Apple unless it never acquires a signal again. All I have to do now is reboot.

Now, that clear up my confusion, you previous post is making mention of iOS 6.1 instead of 9.1 and iOS 6.2 instead of 9.2.
For a second I though things have changed that I missed.

dirtyjudo

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
I'm in the same boat but leaning towards the 6p. The only thing I like more is that SIRI is more conversational. Plus I feel the iPhone has better accessibility.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

manigma77

Dec 28, 2015
Visit site
I tried the iPhone 6 plus for a week after being on android since 2008, and I really wanted to like it, unfortunately I had to take it back. I just couldn't get over how it was not able to do simple things that android can. The best example is zedge, an Android you just download a wallpaper then from that screen set it as your home screen. On the iPhone you have to download it then go to settings then set it. It seems to me that you take more steps on iPhone to get the same thing done that you can get done on Android in a fewer steps. Also an Android I like how I can change the settings of each app while I am in the app I don't have to go back to settings and find the app everytime I want to change a setting for it. I could go on and on but ultimately Android is the choice for me, at least I finally gave it a try.

ipooed

Dec 5, 2015
Visit site
The only real reason I stay with Apple is because the customer service and easy no hassle replacements, android (Samsung) in general is horrible with their customer service! I am still waiting on a call back from 2 years ago that they promised me. I can't imagine any other android device maker being any different

Not to mention the re sale value of iPhones, it's pretty much easy to upgrade to the newest model as soon as it comes out without paying much out of pocket.

But now it's only the customer service that's keeping me, I've had every single iPhone since the 3. 3GS, 4,4s,5,5c,5s,6,6+,6s and now the 6s plus, since iOS 7 I've been tired of having to wait 6 months plus to have a decent software experience same went with iOS 8 and now iOS 9.

With the removal (claimed) of the headphone jack I would imagine this will be my last iPhone I've spent too much money on corded headphones, and I would like to personally choose when I use wireless headphones and when I would like to drain my battery from using them. With almost 300,000 signatures on a petition for Apple to keep the headphone jack it seems they don't care and are going to go ahead and do it anyways IMHO that shows me Apple doesn't care about their customers they will do what they want when they want and we either like it or lump it.

It seems since cook took over its all about profits (which a company should be) but imo he takes it a little to far.

So if you are looking for me to change your mind this probably didn't, and I am in the same boat as you if the iPhone 7 comes without a 3.5mm jack

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I tried the iPhone 6 plus for a week after being on android since 2008, and I really wanted to like it, unfortunately I had to take it back. I just couldn't get over how it was not able to do simple things that android can. The best example is zedge, an Android you just download a wallpaper then from that screen set it as your home screen. On the iPhone you have to download it then go to settings then set it. It seems to me that you take more steps on iPhone to get the same thing done that you can get done on Android in a fewer steps. Also an Android I like how I can change the settings of each app while I am in the app I don't have to go back to settings and find the app everytime I want to change a setting for it. I could go on and on but ultimately Android is the choice for me, at least I finally gave it a try.

The difference is Apple's closed ecosystem compared to Google's open ecosystem. It can just as easily be argued that Apple's control over the OS and app behavior is why iPhones generally run smoother than Android devices. At the end of the day there are gives and takes on both sides and it's really up to the user to decide which ecosystem better serves his or her needs. I'm glad you figured it out!

With the removal (claimed) of the headphone jack I would imagine this will be my last iPhone I've spent too much money on corded headphones, and I would like to personally choose when I use wireless headphones and when I would like to drain my battery from using them. With almost 300,000 signatures on a petition for Apple to keep the headphone jack it seems they don't care and are going to go ahead and do it anyways IMHO that shows me Apple doesn't care about their customers they will do what they want when they want and we either like it or lump it.

It seems since cook took over its all about profits (which a company should be) but imo he takes it a little to far.

So if you are looking for me to change your mind this probably didn't, and I am in the same boat as you if the iPhone 7 comes without a 3.5mm jack

1. This is all based off of an unsubstantiated rumor.
2. IF the rumor proves to be true and there's no headphone jack I am very much willing to bet they will provide an easy solution, which will probably be some sort of adapter that comes with the iPhone 7.
3. Apple does what it has to do to sell iPhones. They will keep doing what they have to do to sell iPhones. They will not risk alienating loyal customers and hurting sales by rendering their wired headsets useless.

ipooed

Dec 5, 2015
Visit site
The difference is Apple's closed ecosystem compared to Google's open ecosystem. It can just as easily be argued that Apple's control over the OS and app behavior is why iPhones generally run smoother than Android devices. At the end of the day there are gives and takes on both sides and it's really up to the user to decide which ecosystem better serves his or her needs. I'm glad you figured it out!

1. This is all based off of an unsubstantiated rumor.
2. IF the rumor proves to be true and there's no headphone jack I am very much willing to bet they will provide an easy solution, which will probably be some sort of adapter that comes with the iPhone 7.
3. Apple does what it has to do to sell iPhones. They will keep doing what they have to do to sell iPhones. They will not risk alienating loyal customers and hurting sales by rendering their wired headsets useless.

Agreed there will be an adapter (for an extra cost) I will bet. Yes this is a rumor I agree! but so was 2GB ram coming in the 6s 6s+ models.

I cannot really see Apple shipping the adapter along with the headphones, charger, phone etc all in the same box as that would cost a lot extra, adding weight to all iPhone boxes.

It's just something extra to get bent or broke for an extra 20-40$ a pop (imo) and wouldn't the thinner the phone get the easier it will bend?

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR