I'm thinking of going to the dark side, can you help?

eds817

Jul 10, 2015
Visit site
I've been a smartphone user for about 10 years and have never used an iPhone. Began with BlackBerry then Android and now Windows phone.

I loved my BB but they lost sight of the consumer and look where they are now.

Android was very good but each device manufacturer has their own interface and apps on top of the OS and you cannot get rid of all the bloatware.

I tried Windows phone hoping that with Windows 10 the integration between my PC, SP3 and phone would be seamless. But it seems like Microsoft is not really serious about phone and is only producing new devices for the longtime die hards. They haven't done anything to get developers on board.

With the iPhone stronghold here in the US both Microsoft and Google are producing their apps for iPhone, sometimes better than the ones on their own OS.

What are the pros & CONS of the iPhone and Apple?

TIA for your assistance.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I like the dark side mainly for ease of use and stability. While the iPhone is not without it's bugs and quirks, mine runs pretty doggone smoothly. Being tiny computers, I don't suppose any of them are perfect. Next are the apps. You won't find a better selection of quality apps anywhere else. Some, like Superimpose and Facetune, you won't find anywhere else. Apple's customer service is second to none. Whether over the phone or in store, the support one would expect is available. Also, the Apple ecosystem is incredible. Give it a try! We have cookies!

Robert90221

Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
In my opinion Apple makes good products it's very rare you'll get a dud and unlike android when there's an update you don't have to wait on android manufacturers to tweak it and add a skin to it battery life is really good camera takes great pictures and the phone just works of course you'll experience a bug or two but nothing's perfect

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Pros:
Well-supported device and OS
Easy to use
Quality build
Excellent integration
Tons of apps

Cons:
Not for everyone

Ticojpunk

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
Life is pretty good on the dark side. I cannot lie.

That said, I'm not loyal to either team. I'm getting a Nexus 6P tomorrow and I'm going to let it and my 6S Plus fight to the death while I sit back and drink lemonade. I'll let you know how it goes.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Life is pretty good on the dark side. I cannot lie.

That said, I'm not loyal to either team. I'm getting a Nexus 6P tomorrow and I'm going to let it and my 6S Plus fight to the death while I sit back and drink lemonade. I'll let you know how it goes.

Don't forget the popcorn!

Ticojpunk

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
Don't forget the popcorn!

No worries. I've got the kernels all queued up.

The iPhone was just impressing me with a feature that I all but dismissed up until now, Live Photos. Playing with my 3 year old in a pile of leaves proved the perfect place for some Live Photos. The iPhone is prepared to bring the pain to the Nexus, I've no doubt.

anon(9715747)

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
As with any device there are several pros and cons which are must haves are deal breakers depend on how you use your device. These are the pros and cons in my opinion
Pros:
Support - with apple stores all over the it is nice to be able to walk in and have someone help you with a problem or swap out a device
Simplicity: what more can i say it is easy to use.
Apps - one benefit of the "walled garden" allow for high quality apps and the size of the ios user base allows for quick updates and getting new features first.
Battery life - at least on the plus it is one of the few devices i that actually last 24 hours with mixed usage and anywhere from 12-16 with heavy usage (atleast for me. ymmv)
Keyboard-the stock keyboard is the best i have used so far on android or ios
Screen /Camera- both are solid and among the top 5 of any devices out in the market regardless of specs
Accesories: the sheer amount od docks cases cables etc made for iphones is simply staggering. There is definitely something to tickle your fancy

Cons:
Limited customization: Simplicity can be a double edged sword. Things like adding custom ringtones can be quite difficult (or impossible for some third party apps)
Bloatware: its quite annoying to not have the option to delete apps that outlive their usefulness after the first week of use or have far better alternative on the app store ( I'm looking at you tips podcasts and stocks) worst of all you really cant hide them like you can on android.
Antenna lines: they are just so ugly and i hate them with a passion. I don't really like cases but i like the antenna lines on the back even less.
Expensive : especially the plus and there is little in the way of ui or hardware improvements to really justify the additional price
Charging: it is very slow to charge make sure you pick up an iPad charger to speed things up a bit.
Apple music: doesn't play nice with your existing music library. If you already use another streaming service like Spotify then save yourself the hassle.
Doesn't play nice with others: iPhone to iPhone? sure no problem but try sending a picture to someone with a device on another platform . Nfc bluetooth, wifi direct? Nope. You have to resort to giving out info via email or text msg or try to use a universal third party app that you just have to pray you both have.

eds817

Jul 10, 2015
Visit site
Thank you all for the comments. I bit the bullet and picked up the 6S Plus this morning. Like any new device it's going to take some getting used to. So far so good. I've always been told about the support and they did not let me down when I went to pickup the phone. The people could not have been more friendly and helpful. I have to give them a lot of credit, the girl who was there to help me get things going was also helping other people at the same time. They were a couple of older women who had little technical experience and this girl was very patient, much more than I could have been.

I didn't know it didn't have NFC. How does Apple Pay work without it?

So far a few of the apps I've setup seem to be better than their counterpart on Android & Windows. Evernote (I use everyday), MLBatBat and I got my Dunkin Donuts back (no official app on Windows).

Like any new toy I'm pretty excited and will be playing with and getting to know it quite a bit over the next several days.

Nice thing is the Apple Store is only 10 mins from the house. Let's see how long it takes for them to tired of seeing me. :)

Thanks again everyone and I'm sure I'll many questions.

WPenvy

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I've been a smartphone user for about 10 years and have never used an iPhone. Began with BlackBerry then Android and now Windows phone.

I loved my BB but they lost sight of the consumer and look where they are now.

Android was very good but each device manufacturer has their own interface and apps on top of the OS and you cannot get rid of all the bloatware.

I tried Windows phone hoping that with Windows 10 the integration between my PC, SP3 and phone would be seamless. But it seems like Microsoft is not really serious about phone and is only producing new devices for the longtime die hards. They haven't done anything to get developers on board.

With the iPhone stronghold here in the US both Microsoft and Google are producing their apps for iPhone, sometimes better than the ones on their own OS.

What are the pros & CONS of the iPhone and Apple?

TIA for your assistance.

I have to chime in here. The team that created the SB and SP4 have only recently gotten control of the "phone" hardware area. They're retailing those devices (950 950XL) but they're not up to the engineering par of those guys and gals

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
No worries. I've got the kernels all queued up.

The iPhone was just impressing me with a feature that I all but dismissed up until now, Live Photos. Playing with my 3 year old in a pile of leaves proved the perfect place for some Live Photos. The iPhone is prepared to bring the pain to the Nexus, I've no doubt.
I've been hitting the Nexus 6P pretty hard since Friday night and I'm not sure it's winning the battle over the 6s Plus for me. This is probably the best Android phone on the market. It's impressive. But I'm honestly thinking it's Android that's the problem for me. It's almost got too much going for it. There is too much in the OS that I need to mess with. It's almost a little clunky. And this is coming from an Android user. But compared to the 6s Plus, it's just so fluid and takes very little to get it rocking and rolling.

fanaticalism

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
I've been hitting the Nexus 6P pretty hard since Friday night and I'm not sure it's winning the battle over the 6s Plus for me. This is probably the best Android phone on the market. It's impressive. But I'm honestly thinking it's Android that's the problem for me. It's almost got too much going for it. There is too much in the OS that I need to mess with. It's almost a little clunky. And this is coming from an Android user. But compared to the 6s Plus, it's just so fluid and takes very little to get it rocking and rolling.

Do you have any examples? When I setup my 6P, all I did was login with my Gmail at setup and it restored it to the same setup as my old phone. All I did differently was register my fingerprint.

Ticojpunk

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site

Thanks for sharing your experience.

My 6P should be arriving tomorrow. I plan to give it a fair shake, but it might be hard to leave the 6S Plus even if it would save me about $325. But, hard to make any informed claims until I've had a chance to see what the Nexus can do for me.

It's funny that on the eve of the 6P arrival my 6S Plus has been on its best behavior. Smooth as butter all day, hours of YouTube and Tapatalk, took it off charger at 5:30am. It's now 11:30PM and I'm at 12%. I have NEVER had a phone that just goes and goes like this.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for sharing your experience.

My 6P should be arriving tomorrow. I plan to give it a fair shake, but it might be hard to leave the 6S Plus even if it would save me about $325. But, hard to make any informed claims until I've had a chance to see what the Nexus can do for me.

It's funny that on the eve of the 6P arrival my 6S Plus has been on its best behavior. Smooth as butter all day, hours of YouTube and Tapatalk, took it off charger at 5:30am. It's now 11:30PM and I'm at 12%. I have NEVER had a phone that just goes and goes like this.
No problem. I really like the 6P, actually. I'm just not sure about Android at this point. I've kind of gotten to the point where I just want something that works. I don't need to change everything. This is a great phone. Honestly. It's worth your time for sure. I have to decide by tomorrow because it's my last day to return my iPhone.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Do you have any examples? When I setup my 6P, all I did was login with my Gmail at setup and it restored it to the same setup as my old phone. All I did differently was register my fingerprint.

The initial setup is quick and easy, that's true. But I just mean with all of the options, etc. that Android has, it takes awhile to go through them all and get everything setup just the way I like it. It's not the end of the world, but it just seems a little more clunky than dealing with iOS.

Ticojpunk

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
The initial setup is quick and easy, that's true. But I just mean with all of the options, etc. that Android has, it takes awhile to go through them all and get everything setup just the way I like it. It's not the end of the world, but it just seems a little more clunky than dealing with iOS.

Android lets you do what you want. You can tinker endlessly if you choose. Some see this as an asset, some see it as a burden.

A few years ago, before I had two kids and my life was simpler, I loved being on Android. I tweaked and rooted and ROM'd and customized my heart out. I loved it. Then I got to a point in my life where my tinker time was slim to none, and I needed my phone to work 24-7 (no down time allowed for booting into recovery and installing ROMs and all that). At the time, Androids sort of needed to be rooted and ROM'd to be their best. But that has changed a lot in the last couple years.

Samsung phones are less bogged down as Touchwiz has been streamlined a bit, and we now have Google Nexus phones that pack a punch.

I really do believe if you want to treat an Android like you would treat an iPhone, and just use it out of the box, as is, now you can. There's no need to get into the "clunky" areas of settings if you don't want.

Inevitably though, the options are there, and if you don't like how something works, it only makes sense to see if there's a setting for it.

All that hot air out of the way... I currently use iPhone, but when I used Android, I always loved how easy it was to sign into the setup with my Gmail, and all my Google Services were ready to rock. THAT part is slightly clunkier on iOS.

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Android lets you do what you want. You can tinker endlessly if you choose. Some see this as an asset, some see it as a burden.

A few years ago, before I had two kids and my life was simpler, I loved being on Android. I tweaked and rooted and ROM'd and customized my heart out. I loved it. Then I got to a point in my life where my tinker time was slim to none, and I needed my phone to work 24-7 (no down time allowed for booting into recovery and installing ROMs and all that). At the time, Androids sort of needed to be rooted and ROM'd to be their best. But that has changed a lot in the last couple years.

Samsung phones are less bogged down as Touchwiz has been streamlined a bit, and we now have Google Nexus phones that pack a punch.

I really do believe if you want to treat an Android like you would treat an iPhone, and just use it out of the box, as is, now you can. There's no need to get into the "clunky" areas of settings if you don't want.

Inevitably though, the options are there, and if you don't like how something works, it only makes sense to see if there's a setting for it.

All that hot air out of the way... I currently use iPhone, but when I used Android, I always loved how easy it was to sign into the setup with my Gmail, and all my Google Services were ready to rock. THAT part is slightly clunkier on iOS.

But, if you switch iPhones, you can log in with your Apple ID-hit "restore from backup"-, and it is set up exactly as the old phone. Can't do that with Android, AFAIK. That is a huge feature to me.

worldspy99

Trusted Member
Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
But, if you switch iPhones, you can log in with your Apple ID-hit "restore from backup"-, and it is set up exactly as the old phone. Can't do that with Android, AFAIK. That is a huge feature to me.

But getting your apps from the cloud versus the store is a pain and it is so slow it is not funny. I got 6 apps downloaded on my new 6+ and in the exact same time the Moto X PE was setup with every app I had on my older Nexus 5. So I don't really know if that helps a lot if it is a lot slower. I still had to log into all my apps on the MXPE and the 6+ as well.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR