Suddenly, Netflix and YouTube crashing on 6S Plus

Ticojpunk

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
Strange, but today Netflix and YouTube will barely launch without instantly crashing. I'm not sure if there are other apps doing this. I haven't checked them all.

I set this phone up as new (through iTunes) only 6 days ago. I closed all apps and did a two-finger reset twice. No dice. Everything was working fine up until now. Any ideas? Anyone else experience this?

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Strange, but today Netflix and YouTube will barely launch without instantly crashing. I'm not sure if there are other apps doing this. I haven't checked them all.

I set this phone up as new (through iTunes) only 6 days ago. I closed all apps and did a two-finger reset twice. No dice. Everything was working fine up until now. Any ideas? Anyone else experience this?

Have you tried deleting the app and reinstalling ?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

I just checked both apps and they are working fine for me. Try Peligro911's suggestion of deleting then reinstalling. Although it's weird that they both stopped working at once.

Ticojpunk

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
I did that first. I'm actually an Apple IT tech for a living, so I deal with iPad issues all day every day. Just wondering if anyone else had experienced this.

Strange. First I noticed Netflix unable to start. It would instantly force close. I was on weak 4G at the time. Figured, who knows, maybe it's a bandwidth thing, switched it to Wifi and tried again, but same thing.
Then I tried YouTube out of curiosity. Same thing, forced closed right away.
Uninstalled both apps, reinstalled, same results.
Did a two-finger reset, same results, and another reset and still no change.
Trying it again about 20 minutes later, YouTube seems stable. Netlix was able to start playing video for 30-40 seconds, then crashed again.
YouTube continues to seem stable, and now I was able to play Netflix for a few minutes without a crash.
Very strange. Sometimes must have been going on in the background eating up RAM or something? iOS usually doesn't do that sort of thing, so I'm a little baffled.

This is actually my third 6S Plus. First had a very loose headphone jack, second has a faulty power button, bad luck all around! They all had lag and freezing, until I did a couple restores through iTunes to clear it up.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I did that first. I'm actually an Apple IT tech for a living, so I deal with iPad issues all day every day. Just wondering if anyone else had experienced this.

Strange. First I noticed Netflix unable to start. It would instantly force close. I was on weak 4G at the time. Figured, who knows, maybe it's a bandwidth thing, switched it to Wifi and tried again, but same thing.
Then I tried YouTube out of curiosity. Same thing, forced closed right away.
Uninstalled both apps, reinstalled, same results.
Did a two-finger reset, same results, and another reset and still no change.
Trying it again about 20 minutes later, YouTube seems stable. Netlix was able to start playing video for 30-40 seconds, then crashed again.
YouTube continues to seem stable, and now I was able to play Netflix for a few minutes without a crash.
Very strange. Sometimes must have been going on in the background eating up RAM or something? iOS usually doesn't do that sort of thing, so I'm a little baffled.

This is actually my third 6S Plus. First had a very loose headphone jack, second has a faulty power button, bad luck all around! They all had lag and freezing, until I did a couple restores through iTunes to clear it up.

Oh wow. You're definitely on a unlucky streak. Well hopefully whatever the issue was is going away.

Ticojpunk

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
I just watched a hour long tv show on Netflix, and watched a few YouTube videos and no crashing now. I'm really hoping it was a one time freako glitch!

Ticojpunk

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
And, it's back!

Almost exactly to the hour. I sit down for lunch at work and YouTube and Netflix are repeatedly crashing again.

Just for ha-has, because I actually sort of enjoy the agony that comes with resetting a device and setting it up manually again, I did a DFU restore through iTunes. Just to start fresh. Installed CloudMagic email, my email app of choice. Then, next, YouTube. Instant Crash when trying to start it. Tried it a bunch of times, crash, crash crash. Installed Netflix. Logged into Netflix, chose my profile name in Netflix, and on trying to load the menu/selection page, crash, crash, crash.

Pretty aggravating. Not sure what to do with this one. I've done all the troubleshooting steps. There doesn't seem to be any app reviews citing frequent crashing. Could this possibly be a hardware issue with RAM or something? Don't know what's going on, and why after yesterday's crash session, it worked fine into the night. Ugh.

Last edited:

Ticojpunk

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
I'm still baffled by what happened, but I'm tempted to think it was network related. It only happened at work on the work wifi (I don't recall if I switched to LTE to check but I don't think so).

It happened at the same time both days. It has NOT happened at home on my home wifi or on LTE.

I did another restore from iTunes last night and I'm having no issues, no crashing, no lagging, no freezes.

I am back at work tomorrow so I'm curious to see if it happens again, but it very well may not.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm still baffled by what happened, but I'm tempted to think it was network related. It only happened at work on the work wifi (I don't recall if I switched to LTE to check but I don't think so).

It happened at the same time both days. It has NOT happened at home on my home wifi or on LTE.

I did another restore from iTunes last night and I'm having no issues, no crashing, no lagging, no freezes.

I am back at work tomorrow so I'm curious to see if it happens again, but it very well may not.

Your crashing issues really made me question my jump back to iOS from my Nexus 6P, but I think I'm going to do it anyway. I think I'm finally ready to move on from Android. Until Google makes a Pixel phone...

Ticojpunk

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
I did more troubleshooting on those crashes, and it's definitely due to my wifi network at work, and NOT my phone. So relieved. I was able to reproduce all the crashes on my work iPad. Whenever I switched to 4G, no more crashes.

I was very quick to blame the phone, but that was a odd thing for the Wifi to be doing. It was crashing Google Play Music, Netflix, and YouTube this evening, but all three were fine on 4G.

I also got my 6P today, and it's already boxed up and going back. That's a story for another thread, but bottom line is I just like iOS a lot better. I'll probably do a write up on my Nexus 6P encounter at some point. Bottom line is, enjoy your iPhone. I moved on from Android last year and any desire I had to go back is pretty much extinguished now.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I did more troubleshooting on those crashes, and it's definitely due to my wifi network at work, and NOT my phone. So relieved. I was able to reproduce all the crashes on my work iPad. Whenever I switched to 4G, no more crashes.

I was very quick to blame the phone, but that was a odd thing for the Wifi to be doing. It was crashing Google Play Music, Netflix, and YouTube this evening, but all three were fine on 4G.

I also got my 6P today, and it's already boxed up and going back. That's a story for another thread, but bottom line is I just like iOS a lot better. I'll probably do a write up on my Nexus 6P encounter at some point. Bottom line is, enjoy your iPhone. I moved on from Android last year and any desire I had to go back is pretty much extinguished now.
Wow! That was fast!

I'd like to hear that story sometime.

JL Olmstead

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site

Did you find a solution for the WiFi? I'm running into the same issue with an iPhone 6s. All other devices are fine.
Thanks!

l1ghtwe1ght

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site
Same here - I have Youtube, Google app, Google Play Music, Netflix all crashing on my home wifi.
If I switch to mobile data, all OK.
If I'm on my work wifi, all OK.

Home wifi network is AC/N - anyone else having trouble with this type of network?

[Edit] iphone 6, bang up to date on iOS and apps.
Tried reinstalling the apps.

sumisu3

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for this thread I was able to find a resolution to my own Netflix crashing problems on my iPad Pro.

Netflix never would start as it would crash within just a second or two.

I tried reset network, reset everything, erase and setup as new iPad. No luck. Still crashing.

I have a WiFi+LTE model but didn't have a SIM card inserted.

Grabbed the SIM from my old old iPad and put it in. Even though it isn't active anymore just having the SIM inserted allows Netflix to start and run. Go figure.

Wanted to leave a note here to say thank you but also hopefully help anyone else who has a similar problem.

Ticojpunk

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
No problem. And here I thought it was going to be another freak issue that only I have.

So I guess iOS 9.1 is to blame? I just wonder what it is on certain Wifi at certain times causing these apps to crash.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR