The new Nexus 6P comes very close, but is no 6S Plus

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I am one of the good guys so like the aluminium better since it shows much less fingerprints etc. Also iPhone also has Google now and agree siri is no match for google now.

Posted via my Nexus 6P!
If I was in a wild west movie, I'd have a black hat. I'll skin it and keep it in a case, anyway. So color really didn't matter all that much. There isn't much an iPhone is missing compared to Android, and vice versa, these days.

sangs

Trusted Member
Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
My 6s Plus is going back on Monday and I'm firing up my 6P as my daily for a bit. I have the black and have seen the aluminum. I definitely like the black better. It's sleek as hell. Looks like something a Sith would have if they had an Android phone. Another part of the reason I'm switching, is like I said above, I can save a good deal of money. I hope you enjoy yours. I'll report back after I have even more time with mine.

I'm loving the Frost look of my 6P, though honestly, had the Graphite (black) been in stock, I'd have probably ordered that instead. It's a very enjoyable phone and has reignited my desire to tinker, which you cannot really do on an iPhone.

sangs

Trusted Member
Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
Shoot video of the scene while walking and you will see the difference.

Posted via my Nexus 6P!

Exactly what I was trying to get across with my initial post. It's literally the only thing the 6S+ does significantly better. Now, the 6P video is perfect, if you're standing still. But turns out, I don't tend to do that when I shoot video. :)

nathani71973646

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
If the Nexus 6P outweighs the essential points of interest (better screen, more powerful camera, greater autonomy and more interesting storage), the iPhone 6s Plus remains the "must-have" for all Apple fanboys.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
What I like most of all in today's "TECH WORLD" is that we have a choice of which device is best for each individual.
I remember their was a time that I thought the smartphone I chose to use was the best .....and it was for ME, but I quickly learned that what works best for ME is not whats best for everyone else.

sangs

Trusted Member
Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
So my final verdict is in and the 6S+ wins. It may not be as customizable as the 6P, but it's just a better overall experience and phone. The battery on the 6S+ is smaller, yet somehow it gives me more life than the 6P's larger battery. I can only surmise that the operating systems are the main factor for that, since I basically run the same apps/programs on both phones and both are configured to use T-Mobile wi-fi calling, so hunting for a weak LTE signal shouldn't be a reason. Overnight performance amazes me. The 6P routinely wakes up from sleep (11 p.m. to 5 a.m.) at 93-to-95 percent. The 6S+ is ALWAYS at 100 percent. Always. The 6P is a very good phone though and Google should be happy it finally has an Android device that can actually compete with the iPhone on many fronts.

Ticojpunk

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
I rendered a pretty swift decision myself. The 6S Plus wins. The 6P is going back.

What I liked and didn't like about the 6P sort of surprised me.

I thought I wouldn't like the fingerprint scanner placement, but I LOVE it. I wish the iPhone had a sensor built into that Apple on the back. It really works incredibly well.

What I didn't like mostly was the screen. I didn't like how saturated it was. It was saturated in a pretty unpleasant way to my eyes. I've owned Samsung phones, so I know the AMOLED deal, but this was different. In the Google Keep app for example, the colors were retina searing. Lol. After hunting to turn on the hidden settings, I found the sRGB mode switch, but that muted the colors terribly to an opposite extreme. I find it very hard to leave the color style and balance of the iPhone I guess now that I've gotten used to that. The brightness was also way less than the iPhone. It was sunset when I was trying them out. I got a nice big strong direct ray of sun to give me a worst case. The 6P nearly washed right out. The 6S Plus hung in there though some tilting was needed to minimize the glare.

I remembered quickly how much I dislike onscreen soft buttons. I hate that they swallow up the screen. I hate that they push the keyboard up higher. I think Samsung has it right in the way they persist with the physical buttons, and Apple makes surprisingly good use of the one button they give you.

I don't like how the power and volume keys are all together. I'd probably adapt to it over time, but I felt the volume buttons were just too low, and I often hit the volume when trying to power off or vice versa.

I didn't like that the battery percentage was sort of illegible. The iPhone is clear and readable from 4 feet away.

The speakers were a little disappointing to me. They were a little more full sounding than the one on my 6S Plus, but not by much. They also weren't particularly loud. I'd say the max volume was nearly even with my 6S Plus, though my iPhones tends to distort a little on the last click. The 6P wasn't exactly crystal clear at max volume either though.

I didn't give it a full on multi-day test because the screen colors and lack of brightness was a deal breaker for me.

I also sort of discovered that I really don't care for Android anymore. That's odd for me to say because I was once an Android and custom ROM junky.

All in all though, it's a real solid phone, feels great in the hand, definitely very fluid, looks great, just not for me.

I'm glad I did it because I feel even more confident that the 6S Plus was the right choice for me this year (and hopefully will remain with me for at least 2).

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I rendered a pretty swift decision myself. The 6S Plus wins. The 6P is going back.

What I liked and didn't like about the 6P sort of surprised me.

I thought I wouldn't like the fingerprint scanner placement, but I LOVE it. I wish the iPhone had a sensor built into that Apple on the back. It really works incredibly well.

What I didn't like mostly was the screen. I didn't like how saturated it was. It was saturated in a pretty unpleasant way to my eyes. I've owned Samsung phones, so I know the AMOLED deal, but this was different. In the Google Keep app for example, the colors were retina searing. Lol. After hunting to turn on the hidden settings, I found the sRGB mode switch, but that muted the colors terribly to an opposite extreme. I find it very hard to leave the color style and balance of the iPhone I guess now that I've gotten used to that. The brightness was also way less than the iPhone. It was sunset when I was trying them out. I got a nice big strong direct ray of sun to give me a worst case. The 6P nearly washed right out. The 6S Plus hung in there though some tilting was needed to minimize the glare.

I remembered quickly how much I dislike onscreen soft buttons. I hate that they swallow up the screen. I hate that they push the keyboard up higher. I think Samsung has it right in the way they persist with the physical buttons, and Apple makes surprisingly good use of the one button they give you.

I don't like how the power and volume keys are all together. I'd probably adapt to it over time, but I felt the volume buttons were just too low, and I often hit the volume when trying to power off or vice versa.

I didn't like that the battery percentage was sort of illegible. The iPhone is clear and readable from 4 feet away.

The speakers were a little disappointing to me. They were a little more full sounding than the one on my 6S Plus, but not by much. They also weren't particularly loud. I'd say the max volume was nearly even with my 6S Plus, though my iPhones tends to distort a little on the last click. The 6P wasn't exactly crystal clear at max volume either though.

I didn't give it a full on multi-day test because the screen colors and lack of brightness was a deal breaker for me.

I also sort of discovered that I really don't care for Android anymore. That's odd for me to say because I was once an Android and custom ROM junky.

All in all though, it's a real solid phone, feels great in the hand, definitely very fluid, looks great, just not for me.

I'm glad I did it because I feel even more confident that the 6S Plus was the right choice for me this year (and hopefully will remain with me for at least 2).

LOL I was the exact same way it got so bad for me flashing roms and kernels I would have needed to joined Flashers Anonymous haha.

sangs

Trusted Member
Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
LOL I was the exact same way it got so bad for me flashing roms and kernels I would have needed to joined Flashers Anonymous haha.

I wish Android were around when I was younger and a tinkering junkie. I'd have had a ball. But now I'm old(er) and boring. :)

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I wish Android were around when I was younger and a tinkering junkie. I'd have had a ball. But now I'm old(er) and boring. :)

LOL yeah I'm 27 now and I used Android when I was 22-24 so I spent a lot of time tinkering haha. Now I can jailbreak to do that.

sangs

Trusted Member
Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
@Ticojpunk - Funny you mentioned the screen. I kept looking at the 6P screen and saying to myself, "It's supposed to be a better screen, so why does the iPhone's look much better?" Guess years of iPhones have hurt the AMOLED experience for me? Unlike you however, I love the onscreen soft buttons. That back button is perfectly placed, unlike the iOS version of back, tucked away in the upper corner. And I really like how Android handles Apps MUCH better than how iOS does. The App Drawer is great.

Ticojpunk

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
@Ticojpunk - Funny you mentioned the screen. I kept looking at the 6P screen and saying to myself, "It's supposed to be a better screen, so why does the iPhone's look much better?" Guess years of iPhones have hurt the AMOLED experience for me? Unlike you however, I love the onscreen soft buttons. That back button is perfectly placed, unlike the iOS version of back, tucked away in the upper corner. And I really like how Android handles Apps MUCH better than how iOS does. The App Drawer is great.

I agree about the placement. One handed use was a little easier because of the location of the 6P soft buttons. I could probably get used to them eventually. I could not get used to that screen though. That definitely was my deal breaker.

I forgot to mention a couple things. Playing music in Google Play Music, when rotating the device to landscape or back to portrait, the music skips/stops/stutters. Every time. That was a little baffling. I'd expect that to be fixed in an update, but definitely strange as its Google's own Music service having an issue on Google's flagship phone.

The camera viewfinder was also glitchy. As you pan around the image on screen would stutter and pause here and there. Sometimes long enough that when you were pointing at what you wanted to shoot, it'd take a second to right itself.

I also think I'd miss OIS way too much. I'm always running around the yard with my kids, running alongside them while they are running or doing something, and the Plus is a godsend with the OIS. They really, really should have gotten OIS into the 6P.

Last edited:

sangs

Trusted Member
Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
They're both really fun to play with. Screw it, I might be keeping them both. Android and iOS living together under one roof. :)

Last edited:

sangs

Trusted Member
Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
LOL yeah I'm 27 now and I used Android when I was 22-24 so I spent a lot of time tinkering haha. Now I can jailbreak to do that.

Oh to be 27 again. Bet you can still sleep through the night. It gets a little harder to do at 46!

sangs

Trusted Member
Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
I have both and love both. I'm an Android guy first but that has changed a little bit since I got my first iPhone.

That's funny - I'm the opposite. Have been an iPhone guy since Day 1, but like Android more and more each day. Either way, it's fun to have all this available.

Ticojpunk

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
That's funny - I'm the opposite. Have been an iPhone guy since Day 1, but like Android more and more each day. Either way, it's fun to have all this available.

Even though I ended up liking my 6S Plus more, I still have the itch to pick up a 5X just to have some Android around to play with. I do miss having an Android device, but for an everyday phone the iPhone has me covered.
Maybe scoring a $300 Nexus 6 would be fun!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen