6S+ Trouble and Disappointment with Apple

zocster

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
There is definitely stuttering on the 6S+ models that the 6S does not have and it's because of the higher resolution. I have the 3D Touch stuttering as well as the multitasking view is stuttering on the 6S+. It was even worse on the 6+ I had prior. I think the ones not noticing it aren't sensitive to framerate drops. All Plus models I've tested has had this stuttering. Not a single one ran as smooth as the 6S models. Even a 5S runs a bit smoother than the Plus models for the most part.

I have a jailbreak installed to take away all the blur-effects from the multitasking view and now it's 60fps smooth like the non Plus models. It's clear that the Plus models suffers in framerate performance because of the higher resolution.

I have no lag what so ever though. It's just frame rate issues I'm experiencing.

Well written. I hope they fix it soon. It has improved from 9.0.2 to 9.1 but still there.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Well I've been participating on another thread about the 6s+ lag issues.

I'm experiencing everything the OP has mentioned plus various other issues like:

1. Status bar missing for couple of seconds after unlocking the phone using Touch ID
2. Screen freezes when unlocking the phone with Touch ID with a Live Wallpaper
3. Multitasking is definitely slower

Now I've done everything to try n fix these problems like Setting up as New, Restore from iTunes, Erase Network Settings, Erase Data, etc, etc. Nothing has worked.

When Apple released the iOS 9.1 I thought that would take care of all my problems but to my disappointment it hasn't.

Yesterday I got a chance to compare mine to someone else's 6s+ 64GB and WOW!!! Mine felt like a 6+ compared to the other one as that one screaming all the way, for example mine had a 1-2 second delay when taking pictures using the native camera app. I checked the settings on both the devices, everything was identical. Did a hard reset on both, on the same WIFI network, yet mine was drastically slower than the other one. Call me OCD but this stuff bothers me a lot.

So again not every 6s plus is having these issues since you said the other person's was great. Have you taken your device to the Apple Store?

mpshah

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
So again not every 6s plus is having these issues since you said the other person's was great. Have you taken your device to the Apple Store?

Unfortunately we don't have the Apple Store yet in Dubai (opening this week). But once they do I'll definitely pay them a visit.

Frost Forged

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Let me say this, just because the I think the OP is right about the frame rate drop on the 6S Plus it doesn't mean that I regret my purchase decision. The positives FAR outweigh the negatives of going back to a 6.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Let me say this, just because the I think the OP is right about the frame rate drop on the 6S Plus it doesn't mean that I regret my purchase decision. The positives FAR outweigh the negatives of going back to a 6.

How does one even notice something like that? Awfully nit picky IMO. I don't see it on my 6s Plus.
The OP never mentioned a frame rate drop.

suninmoon

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site

I agree, I love the screen size on my 6s Plus. Now that I've used the 5.5 inch screen I don't want to go back to the 6s, and even with the stuttering/frame rate issue on the 6s Plus, I probably wont go back. I showed my wife the comparison and she right away said oh the 6s Plus is faster! I had to remind her not to look at how long it takes the menu to pop up, watch the animation of the pop up, and the blur in the background. It's like watching it frame by frame. She could then easily see what I was talking about. If I had not used a 6s I would have just figured it was supposed to look that way but I would have noticed the sluggishness and that it looked like graphics running on a GPU that cant quite handle the load. Any gamer would see it right away. Gamers also know that when frames start to drop it pulls you out of the experience. That's the way I feel about the 6s Plus. The stuttering/frame rate issue kind of kills the magic of interacting with the device, It breaks the illusion if you will.

Just for the heck of it I swapped sims with my 6s, powered it on and tested out 3D touch, absolutely flawless, zero frames dropped, perfectly smooth. It is a small thing, but when you see how 3D touch is supposed to run, it sucks to see it run on the 6s Plus. As a test I wiped my 6s Plus back to factory default then set it up as a new phone, still no 6s performance. I'm going to try to get to the Apple store today or tomorrow and test every 6s Plus they have on display. If I find one that runs as smoothly as a 6s, I'll let you know. My gut feeling is I wont because I believe this is how they all run. Some people notice it and some people don't.

suninmoon

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
To all nay sayers about the frame rate issue...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGCA_v4WUaI

Thanks for posting this. I was thinking of making my own but this is much better than what I could have done. You can easily see that it's most noticeable on the quick action menus. This is exactly what I'm talking about it. I'm headed to the Apple store today and I'm going to test every iPhone 6s Plus in the store. I believe you when you say this is affecting every iPhone but I want more proof when I go to Apple with the issue.

I actually did a chat session with Apple support yesterday where they ran remote diagnostics on my phone and found nothing of course but I have an in store appointment for next week so I'll let you know what I find today and next week.

dannejanne01

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I believe you when you say this is affecting every iPhone but I want more proof when I go to Apple with the issue.

I can't see why it should not affect all Plus phones. It's just that not everyone has the eyes to notice it. It's a software issue and everyone has the same software and no ones hardware should behave differently as it's all controlled by the software.

dakini03

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
Yikes, seeing this and then playing with my phone, I can see it clearly, whereas before it was too subtle for me to notice. I'm on day 13 of my buyer's remorse period, not sure whether I'll return and wait, get the 6s,
or just accept it. Thanks for posting the video.

dannejanne

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for posting this. I was thinking of making my own but this is much better than what I could have done. You can easily see that it's most noticeable on the quick action menus. This is exactly what I'm talking about it. I'm headed to the Apple store today and I'm going to test every iPhone 6s Plus in the store. I believe you when you say this is affecting every iPhone but I want more proof when I go to Apple with the issue.

Every 6S+ should be affected I can't see why they should not. They must be. It's just that not everyone can notice the difference. All iPhones in the world has the same iOS 9 software that runs on pretty much identical hardware. Even though the processor has two manufacturers the software controls how it behaves and as such all 6S+ models runs the same. There can be no magical units that gets special treatment from the software so they run better. iOS 9 just needs to be tailor made for the 6S+ to run as smooth as in the smaller units. Apple needs to optimize it specifically for the + models as I'm sure we have the hardware to make it run smooth. I'm just not sure they will do it though. iOS 9.1 did not solve it.

suninmoon

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
Ok, just back from the Apple store. 1000 Cumberland Mall Atlanta, GA 30339. I tested over 20 iPhone 6s Plus models and you guessed it. All of them have the frame rate issue. The iPhone 6s models next to them, flawless frame rate.

suninmoon

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
Every 6S+ should be affected I can't see why they should not. They must be. It's just that not everyone can notice the difference. All iPhones in the world has the same iOS 9 software that runs on pretty much identical hardware. Even though the processor has two manufacturers the software controls how it behaves and as such all 6S+ models runs the same. There can be no magical units that gets special treatment from the software so they run better. iOS 9 just needs to be tailor made for the 6S+ to run as smooth as in the smaller units. Apple needs to optimize it specifically for the + models as I'm sure we have the hardware to make it run smooth. I'm just not sure they will do it though. iOS 9.1 did not solve it.

I agree, that makes sense. Everyone agrees the A9 is a powerhouse, there should be no reason why it shouldn't be able to handle effects like this at 1080 resolution. Apple has to fix this in iOS. It's definitely something they would never acknowledge in a million years but might fix very quietly in a future update. Honestly I've seen other graphical glitches on my phone that might be related to iOS not being tailored specifically to the Plus models. Anyone seen this glitch in the picture I attached. This is happening even after wiping the phone and setting up as a new phone. It's caused by swiping down on the home screen

IMG_0147.jpg

dannejanne

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
db8022ea0811b631a55b19cedd268482.jpg

Yes. Not sure if it is exclusive to the Plus models or not though

suninmoon

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
Has anyone installed 9.2 yet? I'm wondering if they have finally fixed the frame rate sluggish performance on the 6S Plus. I returned mine a few weeks ago but may go back if it's fixed.

law2010

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone installed 9.2 yet? I'm wondering if they have finally fixed the frame rate sluggish performance on the 6S Plus. I returned mine a few weeks ago but may go back if it's fixed.

I installed it on mine. From what I can tell, the issue has been fixed. My 6S Plus has always run well, but when I placed it next to my wife's iPhone 6, I could see as clear as day that the smaller models run at 60FPS vs the 30FPS on the Plus models. This was particularly noticeable in the app switcher and when you are coming out of the app switcher. There was never any lag for me, it was just obvious that the Plus was 30FPS as opposed to 60FPS.

9.2 seems to have cleared that issue up and now my phone seems to move identically well as my wife's smaller 6 phone.

The caveat to this statement is that I could be suffering from the placebo effect because my phone has never lagged, so telling a difference between 30 and 60FPS for quarter of a second screen animations is hard. Also, I have only had it installed for about 6 hours now, so I haven't done much other than using my phone as I normally do and I have not put the phone through its paces.

Short version: So far, so good.

Frost Forged

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
9.2 has fixed the issue for me on my 6S Plus as well. No more stutter when I use 3D Touch. In fact, everything is better with 9.2. I had a bunch of annoyances with 9.1 and they are all cleared up now. 🏼🏿

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77