simultaneous voice & data? (Verizon)

nnahorski

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
It does. You just have to enable it in the cellular data settings at Settings --> Cellular --> Enable LTE --> Voice & Data

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
It will only work in cellular markets where Verizon has the technology enabled on their network... It isn't everywhere yet.

Rmorton0573

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
VOLTE works everywhere Verizon LTE is Available, you do have to turn on Voice and data in the settings, but you also have to add Advanced Calling 1.0 to your line from the Verizon website. You find it under manage products and apps. It is free to add.

Tytanious

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I had it enabled on my iPhone 6 Plus. It was very unreliable, no one could hear me, calls would go in and out. I had more dropped calls in the 2 weeks that I had it enabled then in my 10 years of previous service (I even had my sim card replaced twice). It was horrible, so I disabled it. I just upgraded to the 6s Plus and enabled it and I haven't had any issues.

C.K400

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
I had it enabled on my iPhone 6 Plus. It was very unreliable, no one could hear me, calls would go in and out. I had more dropped calls in the 2 weeks that I had it enabled then in my 10 years of previous service (I even had my sim card replaced twice). It was horrible, so I disabled it. I just upgraded to the 6s Plus and enabled it and I haven't had any issues.

That's because you are going in and out of LTE, if it switches to 4G which is not a bad thing it will drop the call. When I drive in rural areas I turn it to data only because I know I'm going to be jumping around from LTE to 4G to E and will drop calls like every 5 seconds! But on Data Only I never drop and have great signal everywhere. When I am sitting still or at the office or home and know I have a strong LTE signal it's all I use. The call quality is outstanding with the HD voice. I have AT&T but its the same VOLTE.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
That's because you are going in and out of LTE, if it switches to 4G which is not a bad thing it will drop the call. When I drive in rural areas I turn it to data only because I know I'm going to be jumping around from LTE to 4G to E and will drop calls like every 5 seconds! But on Data Only I never drop and have great signal everywhere. When I am sitting still or at the office or home and know I have a strong LTE signal it's all I use. The call quality is outstanding with the HD voice. I have AT&T but its the same VOLTE.

Verizon doesn't have 4G... they have LTE... and they have CDMA technology, which is "3G"...

C.K400

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
Verizon doesn't have 4G... they have LTE... and they have CDMA technology, which is "3G"...

Well then the signal is switching from LTE to 3G Same difference. Its what is happening for the dropped calls that I was trying to help explain. So Verizon just skipped over 4G and went from 3G straight LTE?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Well then the signal is switching from LTE to 3G Same difference. Its what is happening for the dropped calls that I was trying to help explain. So Verizon just skipped over 4G and went from 3G straight LTE?
Yes and no. The differences between "4G" and "LTE" have been a topic of debate for a long time. 4G basically means "4th generation" of mobile technology while LTE stands for "long term evolution," which is the gradual development and implementation of mobile technology over time. Many could argue that Verizon is 4G, which basically requires that connection speeds need to have a peak of at least 100mpbs for mobile data.

So, Verizon didn't necessarily skip 4G, they just didn't adopt the technology in technical terms and, instead, used the LTE approach.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Yes and no. The differences between "4G" and "LTE" have been a topic of debate for a long time. 4G basically means "4th generation" of mobile technology while LTE stands for "long term evolution," which is the gradual development and implementation of mobile technology over time. Many could argue that Verizon is 4G, which basically requires that connection speeds need to have a peak of at least 100mpbs for mobile data.

So, Verizon didn't necessarily skip 4G, they just didn't adopt the technology in technical terms and, instead, used the LTE approach.

What really happened is AT&T's marketing department got away with bastardizing "4G" when they called HSPA+ 4G when it really wasn't... but that's another topic... It is what it is... Verizon has CDMA/3G and now LTE... one day several years down the road, CDMA/3G will go away.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
You can use voice and data simultaneously as long as you're getting LTE service at the time.

Right and Wrong. You get VoLTE at the same time as long as:

1. You and the other person are on the same cell network (Verizon to Verizon works, Verizon to T-Mobile will not work)

2. You AND that other person both have LTE coverage (otherwise it's a CDMA call, with all the traditional limitations)

3. Neither of you leave LTE coverage (the call will drop)

4. You both have the [free] feature enabled in your Account and on your Devices

If any one person doesn't meet all of that, then you won't get SV&D. Simply being in LTE coverage and having it turned in does not mean it will work. The person you are calling is also a point of failure for getting that capability to work.

Android phones are using a different setup than Apple to get it to work on Verizon. On those devices, you certainly get SV&D.

VoLTE is currently not compatible across carriers, so unless you always call people on the same carrier you use, you pretty much shouldn't even consider this device to have this capability, cause you will not have it a lot more often than you do. You certainly won't have it if you call anything that *isn't* a cell phone (or something like a Skype Number). You can, however, use something like Skype to skirt around the device's deficiency in this area (since it will place any call you use it for over the data connection)...

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
simultaneous voice & data? (Verizon)

Right and Wrong. You get VoLTE at the same time as long as:

1. You and the other person are on the same cell network (Verizon to Verizon works, Verizon to T-Mobile will not work)

2. You AND that other person both have LTE coverage (otherwise it's a CDMA call, with all the traditional limitations)

3. Neither of you leave LTE coverage (the call will drop)

4. You both have the [free] feature enabled in your Account and on your Devices

If any one person doesn't meet all of that, then you won't get SV&D. Simply being in LTE coverage and having it turned in does not mean it will work. The person you are calling is also a point of failure for getting that capability to work.

Android phones are using a different setup than Apple to get it to work on Verizon. On those devices, you certainly get SV&D.

VoLTE is currently not compatible across carriers, so unless you always call people on the same carrier you use, you pretty much shouldn't even consider this device to have this capability, cause you will not have it a lot more often than you do. You certainly won't have it if you call anything that *isn't* a cell phone (or something like a Skype Number). You can, however, use something like Skype to skirt around the device's deficiency in this area (since it will place any call you use it for over the data connection)...

I'm sorry, but that it not completely correct.

The question wasn't about HD voice (which is actually what your post is referring to), it was about simultaneous voice and data. I use data (i.e. sending and receiving emails, surfing the web, etc.) while I'm on calls all of the time. As long as I'm getting LTE service it works like a charm. By the way, I am not connected to wifi while I'm doing all of this and the other caller(s) don't necessarily have Verizon with VoLTE enabled.

HD voice, on the other hand, requires that both callers have the feature enabled and are in an LTE area.

So to the OP and charmguru, yes simultaneous voice and data works just fine as long as you have the feature enabled and you are getting LTE service on your phone at the time.

Sent from my iPhone 6s Plus using Tapatalk

charmguru

Sep 14, 2015
Visit site
Re: simultaneous voice & data? (Verizon)

I'm sorry, but that it not completely correct.

The question wasn't about HD voice (which is actually what your post is referring to), it was about simultaneous voice and data. I use data (i.e. sending and receiving emails, surfing the web, etc.) while I'm on calls all of the time. As long as I'm getting LTE service it works like a charm. By the way, I am not connected to wifi while I'm doing all of this and the other caller(s) don't necessarily have Verizon with VoLTE enabled.

HD voice, on the other hand, requires that both callers have the feature enabled and are in an LTE area.

So to the OP and charmguru, yes simultaneous voice and data works just fine as long as you have the feature enabled and you are getting LTE service on your phone at the time.

Thank you! I actually tried it this morning. My friend has Sprint and I was on the phone with her and doing things I couldn't do before without wifi. It was a beautiful feeling.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: simultaneous voice & data? (Verizon)

Thank you! I actually tried it this morning. My friend has Sprint and I was on the phone with her and doing things I couldn't do before without wifi. It was a beautiful feeling.

Perfect! Glad it's working for you.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR