Is it me? Or does Siri work poorly for you as well?

thecaringkind

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys. I will first admit, (full disclosure), that I am somewhat heavily invested in Google apps. I am an avid user of Google Now cards and Google Inbox and Maps to name a few. I also dabble in Cortana use as a personal assistant of sorts. SO.....when I made the leap to my new iPhone 6S Plus and iOS I came in with eyes wide open and was SHOCKED, SHOCKED I tell you to discover just how AWFUL Siri is. Period. Full Stop.

The most simple request for information about a US Post office less than 5 miles away from my home sent Siri into fits of incredible inaccuracies, not to mention that unless I woke up speaking with a sub saharan dialect, Siri can't understand simple english. It was just AWFUL. The pitiful performance only alarmed me all the more so when you compare it to Google Now voice commands. Its. Not. Even. Close. Any and all questions asked of google were correctly understood and the search results were accurate and pertinent to my query.

So. Feedback? What am I missing here? Is is possible that Apple just doesn't come close to the mighty Google contextual machine in the cloud?

What do you think?

One thing is certain...I turned Siri OFF and happily keep my Google Now app on deck whenever I need it.

Cheers!:beer:

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Is it me? Or is Siri absolutely AWFUL?!

Yes I have noticed this just today asking the distance between San Fran and Carmel it took me three times so I hardly use it at all.

Pecked out on my 6S Plus keyboard.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Re: Is it me? Or is Siri absolutely AWFUL?!

Siri performance does seem to vary depending on accent. I get very good results but my wife, with a heavy Texas twang, gets very poor results.

BTW, I'm in no way implying the trouble is your accent. For all I know, you're a professional radio personality. :)

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

SiRi works GREAT on my 6s Plus. She understands me about 95% of the time.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site

Go to Settings>General>Siri and activate Hey Siri and it will go thru a voice setup to your voice which will help a little

jayk82

Trusted Member
Aug 25, 2013
Visit site

Siri performance does seem to vary depending on accent. I get very good results but my wife, with a heavy Texas twang, gets very poor results.

BTW, I'm in no way implying the trouble is your accent. For all I know, you're a professional radio personality. :)

She struggles with my Texas twang also!!!

Sent from my  iPhone 5C using Tapatalk

planoman

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Siri understands me fine but the results are no where near Google Now. Most of the time it says I found this on the web and list it for you. GN is more useful. Luckily they have GN on iPhone although it is not as robust as it is on Android.

Posted via my Nexus 6 with Marshmallow!

Last edited:

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
The only time I have issues with Siri are in noisy environments. In general I find Siri to work great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MCube74

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site
I use Siri once in a while for entertainment. Mainly to entertain my 4 year old daughter. She also plays around with it.

Siri can't be 100% perfect anyway.

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
I don't use her very often, but when I have she hasn't been working well for me either. Most of the time she gets what I ask completely wrong and I give up.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys. I will first admit, (full disclosure), that I am somewhat heavily invested in Google apps. I am an avid user of Google Now cards and Google Inbox and Maps to name a few. I also dabble in Cortana use as a personal assistant of sorts. SO.....when I made the leap to my new iPhone 6S Plus and iOS I came in with eyes wide open and was SHOCKED, SHOCKED I tell you to discover just how AWFUL Siri is. Period. Full Stop.

The most simple request for information about a US Post office less than 5 miles away from my home sent Siri into fits of incredible inaccuracies, not to mention that unless I woke up speaking with a sub saharan dialect, Siri can't understand simple english. It was just AWFUL. The pitiful performance only alarmed me all the more so when you compare it to Google Now voice commands. Its. Not. Even. Close. Any and all questions asked of google were correctly understood and the search results were accurate and pertinent to my query.

So. Feedback? What am I missing here? Is is possible that Apple just doesn't come close to the mighty Google contextual machine in the cloud?

What do you think?

One thing is certain...I turned Siri OFF and happily keep my Google Now app on deck whenever I need it.

Cheers!:beer:

I'm glad that you had a choice and chose the option that is best suited for your needs. Enjoy.

Aquila

iMore Sith
Trusted Member
May 14, 2013
Visit site
How's your signal? Many voice dictation technologies perform better with a fast/stable connection. Before writing off the app it could be helpful to check it out in another location. Otherwise, at least you have an alternative that seems to be working :)

Nexus 6 Assassin Edition. Android Central Moderator, Gonfaloniere

thecaringkind

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
Hey assassin. My signal is great. I'm sure I could work with Siri if I gave it a little more time and effort, however the Google now option just works so much better for me it's not worth the extra effort lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
How's your signal? Many voice dictation technologies perform better with a fast/stable connection. Before writing off the app it could be helpful to check it out in another location. Otherwise, at least you have an alternative that seems to be working :)

Nexus 6 Assassin Edition. Android Central Moderator, Gonfaloniere

Aaaawwwww hell I can't EVER get Siri to understand me. . Must be an accent thing.

Irish just ain't acceptable, ye ken....

Sent from my GORGEOUS, SEXY, AWESOME Rose Gold 128G iPhone 6s Plus

btbam91

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
As a new iphone user, I was shocked to see how Siri was rather worthless. I guess that is good marketing on Apple's part. Cortana cannot come to iOS fast enough.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I have a love/hate relationship with Siri. My biggest annoyance comes with the fact that she has to query Apple's servers with every request so if I'm in an area with inadequate/nonexistent data coverage she's completely worthless.

Sent from my iPhone 6s Plus using Tapatalk

jf1450

Aug 26, 2012
Visit site
I hardly ever use "her" either for the same reasons others have said. Great concept, poor execution.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerrytg4