No AT&T Wi-Fi Calling with T-Mobile Model

benjitek

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
It will only work when your cell signal is really weak - like for instance inside a building with poor signal
Almost correct. It will automatically kick in if you have a poor cell signal. You can force your iPhone to use it by turning on flight-mode and then turning on just the WiFi. Then it says ATT WiFi up top.

benjitek

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Yes. When I went to the store, the guy asked if I wanted an ATT one instead and I said sure. He looked but they didn't have the one I wanted. Never realized that it would impact wifi calling.
...and no WCS band 30. Not so important today, but in 3-6 months it'll be nice to have -- will also make it a more attractive unlocked resale as by then band-30 will be widely available. Many looking to purchased an unlocked iPhone 6S won't know or care about it, but those familiar with it will seek models that support it, and bid higher on eBay :)

benjitek

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
It's the new LTE band that ATT will be rolling out. It'll be awhile before it happens though.
The rollout has begun, as AT&T said it would, this summer and continuing through 2016 with any loose ends in early 2017. They aren't making a huge deal of it though as it enhances LTE, but isn't a new class-of-service. They issued a press release with a general timeline, however, no locations were mentioned and they aren't releasing any 'in these cities now' type follow-ups. It's not something noted on their coverage maps either.

benjitek

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Fierce Wireless was the first to release an overview on the rollout, can't seem to post a link to it but if you Google:

AT&T begins deploying 2.3 GHz WCS spectrum for LTE

...it'll be at the top of the list. Most other articles about it reference the Fierce post from September, or are based on it.

kingweb

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I bought the T-MOBILE model because it was the only non-contract unlocked version available when the 6S+ was released. I have done this in the past with older versions too without any issues. For some reason, when phones are released, Apple doesn't offer a straight unlocked version with no carrier associated. They add it later and also include the little pin to eject the SIM tray, and don't include a tmobile sim.
But according to Apple, it is the exact same phone with the exact same features.
I use AT&T. I tried the wifi calling a few days ago, and the option was there, but it kept giving me an error when I tried to activate it.
However, today, I tried it, and it worked. So obviously, this was on the AT&T end, and not the Apple end.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I bought the T-MOBILE model because it was the only non-contract unlocked version available when the 6S+ was released. I have done this in the past with older versions too without any issues. For some reason, when phones are released, Apple doesn't offer a straight unlocked version with no carrier associated. They add it later and also include the little pin to eject the SIM tray, and don't include a tmobile sim.
But according to Apple, it is the exact same phone with the exact same features.
I use AT&T. I tried the wifi calling a few days ago, and the option was there, but it kept giving me an error when I tried to activate it.
However, today, I tried it, and it worked. So obviously, this was on the AT&T end, and not the Apple end.

Glad to hear they resolved it. I actually swapped out my T-mobile model for an AT&T for this reason last Friday. Kinda glad I did that bc now I have band 30.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Nice. Glad it's working for you. ATT must've been reading this thread. ;)

I'm kind of glad I swapped my T-Mobile model out for an ATT one bc now I have band 30 and wifi calling. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me too! I didn't realize I was missing band 30 until this post. My cell signal is much better at work because of this.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Me too! I didn't realize I was missing band 30 until this post. My cell signal is much better at work because of this.

Sadly, my signal isn't any better. But hey, band 30 for when it rolls out around here.

blueshapti

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Almost correct. It will automatically kick in if you have a poor cell signal. You can force your iPhone to use it by turning on flight-mode and then turning on just the WiFi. Then it says ATT WiFi up top.
If you have Wi-Fi calling activated you can also force it to Wi-Fi calling if you turn cellular off. That way GPS still works. I do this at home to save on battery power. I have a great Wi-Fi signal. By turning cellular off that radio is not on and consequently can save a lot of power.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2