No AT&T Wi-Fi Calling with T-Mobile Model

EagleFox007

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
OK you guys, I'm going to ask something very very stupid so forgive me.....how do you use wifi calling? I'm on an unlimited voice plan so I'm not really needing it but I'm curious because so many people want it so badly.
I want to know because if there are advantages to this that I'm not using I want to know!

Sent from my GORGEOUS, SEXY, AWESOME Rose Gold 128G iPhone 6s Plus

Wifi calling is only activated when you're connected to a wifi and your cellular signal becomes very low. It's not something that is on all the time. You'll see an icon AT&T Wi-Fi next to your wifi signal. Once you're back on a good cellular connection, it will turn itself off automatically.

Now, if you want to test the wifi calling manually on your phone to see if it's working, all you need to do is put the phone on Airplane mode then turn on wifi. This will activate wifi calling even if you're in a place with good cellular signal.

EagleFox007

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
Ah thank you. That last point would be huge for me.

Sent from my GORGEOUS, SEXY, AWESOME Rose Gold 128G iPhone 6s Plus

I used it a lot at work. We don't have a good cell signal inside inside our building. Actually, I have been using it since it was launched for the public beta testers a couple of months ago. It was only available for beta testers until it was made available to public this week and I really like it s lot. Saves me a lot of missed calls and the call quality is really good.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I used it a lot at work. We don't have a good cell signal inside inside our building. Actually, I have been using it since it was launched for the public beta testers a couple of months ago. It was only available for beta testers until it was made available to public this week and I really like it s lot. Saves me a lot of missed calls and the call quality is really good.

Yah I haven't got access to WiFi at work. And I don't join public networks so I don't expect to be using it much. But I've got it sorted out on my device.

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Re: No AT&T Wi-Fi Calling with T-Mobile Model

I don't know if ATT uses minutes or not when on wifi calling. I did read that T-Mobile doesn't use your minutes.

If you're in an area where your cell signal isn't strong, and you are on wifi, you can benefit from that. I don't get great signal at my house, so wifi calling will be great to have for me.

Also, if you travel internationally, and you are on wifi a lot, you could in theory use your phone for calls like normal. I don't do that but someone at work does and loves the feature for that reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are there still minute plans out there anymore? Jk

JML5150

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Thanks to this post I was able get a workaround. I was able to enable mine by using my SIM in my wifes 6plus. Its still checked and enabled after 12 hrs...

David Malka

Jun 11, 2015
Visit site
Glad it helped! Still said enabled for me but wouldn't say AT&T WIFI on the top. Finally ended up returning my T-Mobile unlocked device for a SIM free one which basically is the same model as the AT&T one (A1634) and finally have WIFI calling working :)

Thanks to this post I was able get a workaround. I was able to enable mine by using my SIM in my wifes 6plus. Its still checked and enabled after 12 hrs...

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Glad it helped! Still said enabled for me but wouldn't say AT&T WIFI on the top. Finally ended up returning my T-Mobile unlocked device for a SIM free one which basically is the same model as the AT&T one (A1634) and finally have WIFI calling working :)

Glad you got it working. Sucks AT&T is making it work only on AT&T models. When I had my 6 Plus I had the Verizon version and was able to use WiFi calling on T-Mobile.

zanix

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Glad you got it working. Sucks AT&T is making it work only on AT&T models. When I had my 6 Plus I had the Verizon version and was able to use WiFi calling on T-Mobile.

So I wonder if I will be able to use my Verizon 6 on a T-Mobile MVNO?

jayk82

Trusted Member
Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Working on my A1687 no problem. All I did was stuck in my AT&T SIM card. Switched it on, went through the necessary acknowledgements, and it told me they wifi calling was activated. I have such poor service in my office that it immediately said wifi up in the status bar. Made a call to my wife to confirm it was working!

Sent from my  iPhone 6S Plus using Tapatalk

zanix

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Working on my A1687 no problem. All I did was stuck in my AT&T SIM card. Switched it on, went through the necessary acknowledgements, and it told me they wifi calling was activated. I have such poor service in my office that it immediately said wifi up in the status bar. Made a call to my wife to confirm it was working!

Sent from my  iPhone 6S Plus using Tapatalk

I have an A1549. Does that mean anything?

zanix

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm using it successfully on a Verizon (Unlocked) Model A1687 with my AT&T SIM card with no issues.

Sent from my  iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
Mine is an A1549 so there must be a difference between your model and mine that won't allow wifi calling?

sangs

Trusted Member
Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
Update from the OP here - WiFi Calling is now active and working on my 6S+. Went to activate it today - as I've been trying to do every day - and it went through the activation steps without issue. Not exactly sure what changed overnight, but whatever it was, I'm pleased.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Update from the OP here - WiFi Calling is now active and working on my 6S+. Went to activate it today - as I've been trying to do every day - and it went through the activation steps without issue. Not exactly sure what changed overnight, but whatever it was, I'm pleased.

Nice. Glad it's working for you. ATT must've been reading this thread. ;)

I'm kind of glad I swapped my T-Mobile model out for an ATT one bc now I have band 30 and wifi calling. :)

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
So I wonder if I will be able to use my Verizon 6 on a T-Mobile MVNO?

You could use it on a T-Mobile MVNO for sure -- The Verizon version is unlocked right out of the gate. No need to contact Verizon to unlock or anything like that. As for WiFi calling on that MVNO -- that I am not sure on.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods